Any other coffee lovers here?

bub72ck

[quote name='fore' timestamp='1388679093' post='8384697']
[quote name='bub72ck' timestamp='1388588749' post='8378531']
@fore Definitely give the Aeropress a try. I think you will be impressed.

[/quote]

Well I've taken the plunge (so to speak) and ordered the Aeropress.
[/quote]

Awesome! You will be very happy I think. When you get it, try this method for making the coffee:

[url="http://stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/aeropress/"]http://stumptowncoff...ides/aeropress/[/url]

I made it the traditional way for a few months but found this much more tasty. The main two points (that were mentioned in another inversion article) were this:

1) If you use the Aeropress in the tradition way, as soon as you pour water into the press water goes into your cup that hasn't had proper time to brew with the beans.

2) the bloom or the frothy top to the brewed coffee where the bubbles are released is on top of the water. If the press is right-side-up those flavors never make it into the cup. If you brew inverted and then turn it over the puck is the first thing that goes into the cup allowing the most flavorful part of the brew to be consumed instead of staying in the press.

Just play with it in terms of amount of coffee and brew times. You will find your perfect cup in no time.

Titleist TSi2 10* Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TS2 16* Diamana S+ 60X 
Taylormade Rescue 22* Aldila XVS9
Titleist T100S TT Dynalite Sensicore X100 4-PW
Vokey SM5 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

I love coffee. I've been drinking it since I was 4 (seriously). Unfortinately my wife doesn't drink coffee so I have relegated myself to a crappy cup of Keurig in the morning (otherwise I waste coffee). I do grab a brew from a local coffee place by my work that uses very high quality beans (this local place has some of the best beans I have ever had). My parents recently installed a built in Miele coffee machine. The thing grinds the beans and brews a cup in the matter of a minute or so. It also makes espresso drinks as well. It makes a better cup of coffee than anything I've had made at home and most of what you will find in coffee shops. It's a pretty incredible machine.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1388715406' post='8388443']
I love coffee. I've been drinking it since I was 4 (seriously). Unfortinately my wife doesn't drink coffee so I have relegated myself to a crappy cup of Keurig in the morning (otherwise I waste coffee). I do grab a brew from a local coffee place by my work that uses very high quality beans (this local place has some of the best beans I have ever had). My parents recently installed a built in Miele coffee machine. The thing grinds the beans and brews a cup in the matter of a minute or so. It also makes espresso drinks as well. It makes a better cup of coffee than anything I've had made at home and most of what you will find in coffee shops. It's a pretty incredible machine.
[/quote]

If you are the only one drinking coffee the Aeropress is the way to go. Use only the beans you need for one cup, heat your water in a kettle on the stove, mix it up, and push it into your cup. I think you can make something very close to the Miele cup yourself. The best part is its $25.00.

SIK Pro Custom

I have a Philips Saeco Espresso Machine, a Virtuoso grinder and love the taste of my coffee as long as the coffee beans are fresh.
I have tried many different beans, but since I am in South Korea, my choice of beans is relatively limited.
I would like to try Hawaiian Kona in the future, which is considered the second best next to Jamaica Blue Mountain.

[url="https://konacoffee.com/catalog/login.php"]https://konacoffee.c...talog/login.php[/url]

I haven't tried it yet because of high shipping cost to South Korea, but these beans should be really good.

When I was in the US, I would order from the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.

Finally perfected my Americano recipe with the Aeropress. It's pretty difficult to get the crema with the paper filter but you still get the stout espresso taste that is common in Americano.

Two scoops of fresh espresso beans ground as fine as possible in my hand grinder.

Invert the AP and set the plunger at the top of the 3 ring.

Add the grounds and slowly pour in water 1 minute off-boil. I pour half way and then stir to keep the water from splashing everywhere. Then add the rest of the water slowly to the top rim of the inverted AP.

Let it brew for 45 seconds, add the filter, and turn over onto your cup.

I push pretty quickly and firmly as the very fine grounds make it difficult to extract the water. That's the best way I could find to duplicate the pressure of an espresso machine.

Top off the brew with 4oz of water.

SIK Pro Custom

Costa Rican Tarrazu and Bali Blue Moon. Get these from a roastery in Tullahoma, Tenn.

Srixon ZX5 LS 9.5* Hzrdus Gen 4 Black S

Sim 2 Titanium 15* Kura Kage Silver TiNi S 
Sim 2 Titanium 18* Kura Kage Silver Tini S
Srixon ZX 22* Graphite Design AD DI 75 S
Srixon ZX5 MkII, 5-6, C-Taper Lite S

Srixon ZX7 MkII, 7-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Cleveland RTX6 "Raw Tour Rack" 48*, 54*, 58* Dynamic Gold S400
Odyssey Eleven Tour Lined CS
Hdcp 2.1

Srixon Staff Member

[quote name='bub72ck' timestamp='1388714127' post='8388319']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Awesome! You will be very happy I think. When you get it, try this method for making the coffee:

[url="http://stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/aeropress/"]http://stumptowncoff...ides/aeropress/[/url]

I made it the traditional way for a few months but found this much more tasty. The main two points (that were mentioned in another inversion article) were this:

1) If you use the Aeropress in the tradition way, as soon as you pour water into the press water goes into your cup that hasn't had proper time to brew with the beans.

2) the "puck" or the frothy top to the brewed coffee where the bubbles are released is on top of the water. If the press is right-side-up that puck never makes it into the cup. If you brew inverted and then turn it over the puck is the first thing that goes into the cup allowing the most flavorful part of the brew to be consumed instead of staying in the press.

Just play with it in terms of amount of coffee and brew times. You will find your perfect cup in no time.
[/quote]

The Aeropress arrived yesterday(4 days earlier than scheduled USPS) , and I've now made 2 cups of joe with it. Even though I'm still experimenting with the method both cups have been excellent. I'm using up some coarser grind that I ground for the cold brew method so the inverted method is a must. Perhaps with the fine grind it will be even better and I may not have to flip it.

I've also found that the Aeropress is one of the best ways to make iced coffee. The strength of a cup allows for easier dilution by ice.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

My Aeropress doesnt get the workout it used to due to the speed and simplicity of the k-cups in the morning. Someone (here I think) turned me onto the San Francisco Bay Coffee company cups on Amazon and they are a really good deal especially if you put the boxes on monthly delivery its another 15% off. Each variety gets between 1,500 and 2,500 5 star reviews. Coffee is really good.

My favorite beans were Sakamoto Aged Peabury from Hawaii, had it when I was there many years ago and I havent had anything like it since, it was incredible. I checked this morning and it was $90 a pound to order it here but its sold out.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

[quote name='fore' timestamp='1389192837' post='8421651']
[quote name='bub72ck' timestamp='1388714127' post='8388319']

[/quote]

[/quote]

2) the "puck" or the frothy top to the brewed coffee where the bubbles are released is on top of the water. If the press is right-side-up that puck never makes it into the cup. If you brew inverted and then turn it over the puck is the first thing that goes into the cup allowing the most flavorful part of the brew to be consumed instead of staying in the press.

[/quote]

The Aeropress arrived yesterday(4 days earlier than scheduled USPS) , and I've now made 2 cups of joe with it. Even though I'm still experimenting with the method both cups have been excellent. I'm using up some coarser grind that I ground for the cold brew method so the inverted method is a must. Perhaps with the fine grind it will be even better and I may not have to flip it.
[/quote]

Definitely experiment with your brews to find what you like. I grind my coffee up pretty fine and using the traditional method seems to work pretty well for coffee. The Americano recipe I have been using tastes better inverted. My wife likes a bit weaker brew than me so I just use less water in the press and more water when I top off the coffee. I ordered a metal filter fro the Aeropress last night. It's supposed to help retain some of the oils from the coffee better than the paper filters. I will give a good review when it comes in.

Glad you like the Aeropress!

SIK Pro Custom

[quote name='mr_duffer' timestamp='1388983105' post='8406357']
Costa Rican Tarrazu and Bali Blue Moon. Get these from a roastery in Tullahoma, Tenn.
[/quote]

just finished a tarrazu bag -- great coffee! also love costa rica la minita and jamaica blue mountain. i bought my step-dad some kopi luwak and he said it was beyond any coffee he has ever had (he's a lifelong coffee lover aged 78 who never drinks with cream or sugar)...but i can't justify $350-lb for kopi for myself

[quote name='highdraw69' timestamp='1389206420' post='8423023']
[/quote]

just finished a tarrazu bag -- great coffee! also love costa rica la minita and jamaica blue mountain. i bought my step-dad some kopi luwak and he said it was beyond any coffee he has ever had (he's a lifelong coffee lover aged 78 who never drinks with cream or sugar)...but i can't justify $350-lb for kopi for myself
[/quote]
I went through 8 pounds of tarazzu a couple months ago. Decent coffee.
I think I'll try some from a grower I've purchased some great coffee before, there just so slow with shipping, El Salvador grown.
A couple years ago I couldn't go wrong with any of the Guatemalan coffee. Casi di Cielo.

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60

[/quote]

[/quote]

kopi luwak, for those who don't know, is made from beans that have passed thru the digestive system of a Palm-Civet. It's a cat-like tree dwelling animal in southeast Asia.

[quote name='fore' timestamp='1389210260' post='8423443']
[/quote]

[/quote]

kopi luwak, for those who don't know, is made from beans that have passed thru the digestive system of a Palm-Civet. It's a cat-like tree dwelling animal in southeast Asia.
[/quote]

I've been intrigued by it ever since I found out what it was. I would drink it in a heartbeat given the chance. I have "bucket-list" expenses that I will splurge on if I get big paying contractss at work. This one is quite a ways down but I will get to it one day.

SIK Pro Custom

[quote name='bub72ck' timestamp='1389210901' post='8423515']

[/quote]

I've been intrigued by it ever since I found out what it was. I would drink it in a heartbeat given the chance. I have "bucket-list" expenses that I will splurge on if I get big paying contractss at work. This one is quite a ways down but I will get to it one day.
[/quote]

They say the digestion does something to the bean. I wonder if it's also that the animal likes coffee berries when they just get to a certain ripeness.

I'm on my second cup. I take it fairly serious, as I roast my own coffee, I buy shb green coffee, just got 10 pounds of Guatemala Antigua grown.

The problem I run into is coffee varies year to year, and once you find something special, you better latch onto it, and buying green is the only way to store it for more than a month.

That being said I roast only enough for a few days at a time, usually a mix of dark for flavor, light for kick. Not to mention lighter roast has all the flavors of where it's grown.

I had some Brazilian coffee last year that was very nice, but Guatemalan normally has the chocolatey finish I'm fond of, though it's hard to beat some good Sumatra grown beans.

The grinder is one of the most important aspects of great coffee, and I broke down and bought something you only see in high end coffee shops.

Nectar of the gods

23383C2E-807D-4D70-B1B6-FE156AD238FC-6614-000007F3652ED8A2_zpsb83018c2.jpg

04023602-6EED-4340-8634-6A54F0F4BE2A-6560-000007E34E66C055_zps7cadd4b9.jpg

I LOVENice set up! I've been looking to upgrade to a Mazzer mini myself. What is that you have here?

I mean, I like golf balls
but not that much.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I draw the line on poop still stuck on my coffee, when it's delivered.

Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo

I'm on my second cup. I take it fairly serious, as I roast my own coffee, I buy shb green coffee, just got 10 pounds of Guatemala Antigua grown.

The problem I run into is coffee varies year to year, and once you find something special, you better latch onto it, and buying green is the only way to store it for more than a month.

That being said I roast only enough for a few days at a time, usually a mix of dark for flavor, light for kick. Not to mention lighter roast has all the flavors of where it's grown.

I had some Brazilian coffee last year that was very nice, but Guatemalan normally has the chocolatey finish I'm fond of, though it's hard to beat some good Sumatra grown beans.

The grinder is one of the most important aspects of great coffee, and I broke down and bought something you only see in high end coffee shops.

Nectar of the gods

I LOVE coffee. I'm more of an espresso person myself. That's a nice set up you've got there tamale. What grinder is that? I've been looking to upgrade to a Mazzer mini for a while now.

I mean, I like golf balls
but not that much.

Nectar of the gods

I LOVENice set up! I've been looking to upgrade to a Mazzer mini myself. What is that you have here?

The grinders a La San Marco.

The espresso machine is a ECM Giotto, now a company called Rocket makes the Giotto.

Thanks, I wore a Starbucks, made by Saeco, machine out, about 10 years of daily use, and suffered with there crappy grinder.

This one should last a lifetime.

Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo

Huge coffee fan. French press and Cuisinart Burr brew are my two main methods. Going to try an Aero for sure after reading some of your posts. Thanks for the heads up!

After searching for a while, I found these guys to be outstanding:

http://www.coffeefool.com/default.asp

Been using them for years and trying different beans.

[url="http://cqcoffeeroasters.com/"]http://cqcoffeeroast...roasters.com/ [/url] (reviewed very highly on coffeereview.com) Just had my first grind/brew this morning and they're phenomenal as well.

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

[quote name='bub72ck' timestamp='1388505011' post='8373767']
I know a lot of people drink coffee as a daily ritual but does anybody else really "enjoy" a fresh cup of the best coffee they can find?

My dad opened a coffee shop a couple of years ago and while I have always liked coffee I didn't understand how good it could be until I started messing with fresh beans and a brewing method other than the Mr.Coffee from Wal Mart.

I invested about $100 in a Hario hand grinder, Aeropress plunger, and some coffee vaults from Friis to make a really good home set up.

My favorite beans:

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe
Kenya AA
Mexican Altura
Maui Special

Anybody want to share brewing tips, favorite beans, etc. Also, if anybody wants to make some killer coffee at home I'll be glad to share my research.
[/quote]

I've got 3 12 oz. bags of Yirgacheffe right now (I use their concierge service and save a bit). Loving it.
http://www.coffeefool.com/Ethiopian-Yirgacheffe-p/1230.htm
They've also got the others you listed (under light/medium)

Just tried this one and it's great:
http://cqcoffeeroasters.com/collections/single-origin-coffees/products/kenya-kirinyaga-karimikui-peaberry-95-points-coffee-review-1

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

[quote name='bub72ck' timestamp='1389210901' post='8423515']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Been there, done that. Wasn't so impressed. It had that typical sort of mild and sweet flavour of South-East Asian coffee that I don't quite like. Vietnamese coffee is quite popular in some parts of the planet and it has that very characteristic same flavour. Laotian is also similar. Give me the strong Italian ristretto type any day.

That was before I had to quit drinking coffee. You guys are so lucky to be able to keep drinking the good stuff. I'm not sure what's happening to me but suddenly coffee started to make me really irritable and moody so, since I can't do anything in this life in moderation, I had to give up coffee altogether.

For years I would only not drink coffee when cruising or racing yachts. Since the only coffee available onboard is instant coffee it's better to not drink coffee at all than pour that garbage in the body. Oh yes, you would also need to prepare by not drinking coffee for a week before the trip - you do NOT want the withdrawal headache in the middle of a race. The glorious first cup of proper coffee after returning inshore!!!!!

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

[quote name='tuckman' timestamp='1389663223' post='8455413']
This thread has inspired me to roast my own coffee.
[/quote]
It's easy, and cheap with a air popcorn popper.
I did go to the extra trouble, and find a old west bend original poppery. They rock with I think 1550 watts, and built like tanks.
I can keep my cost around 5 dollars a pound, and really fresh roasted, I mean minutes afterward, is utterly amazing flavor.

Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo

[quote name='12tamale' timestamp='1389674752' post='8456615']
[/quote]
I did go to the extra trouble, and find a old west bend original poppery. They rock with I think 1550 watts, and built like tanks.
I can keep my cost around 5 dollars a pound, and really fresh roasted, I mean minutes afterward, is utterly amazing flavor.
[/quote]

Last night I bought a West Bend Air Crazy Popper on ebay and a 4lb sampler pack of green coffee from Sweetmarias.com

Hopefully next week I should be roasting.

[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1389194127' post='8421783']
I've also found that the Aeropress is one of the best ways to make iced coffee. The strength of a cup allows for easier dilution by ice.
[/quote]

If you've never tried cold brewing for iced coffee you might like giving it a try. You can make it in larger batches and it produces a nice full coffee flavor concentrate.

For hot coffee the Aeropress is the best thing short of a high priced espresso machine. I'm sure it would make fine iced coffee as well but I would have to settle for smaller batches.

[quote name='tuckman' timestamp='1389711489' post='8458087']
[quote name='12tamale' timestamp='1389674752' post='8456615']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Last night I bought a West Bend Air Crazy Popper on ebay and a 4lb sampler pack of green coffee from Sweetmarias.com

Hopefully next week I should be roasting.
[/quote]

I hope you'll report back.

I've been interested in roasting as well. I'ld like to find something like the guy in [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKgKX2aZCmE"]this video[/url] uses. (about 4 minutes in)

[quote name='fore' timestamp='1389720381' post='8459081']
[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1389194127' post='8421783']
[/quote]

If you've never tried cold brewing for iced coffee you might like giving it a try. You can make it in larger batches and it produces a nice full coffee flavor concentrate.

[b]For hot coffee the Aeropress is the best thing short of a high priced espresso machine[/b]. I'm sure it would make fine iced coffee as well but I would have to settle for smaller batches.
[/quote]

Sounds like you are happy. What brew method are you using?

SIK Pro Custom