Who is going to build a shorter driver based on Wishon article?

Lacey Underall

[quote name='Chef Otto' timestamp='1389316127' post='8431721']
[quote name='Lacey Underall' timestamp='1389293470' post='8429143']
[quote name='Apex93' timestamp='1389292223' post='8428975']
And for those worried about swing weight, a club fitter (or lead tape) can get you back to what you are most used to easily.
[/quote]
Not necessarily true. If you cut a 45" driver down to 44" then you have a 6 swingweight difference to make up. Heavier shaft will get you 1-2 swingweights max. So now you would have to add enough lead tape to make up 4 swingweights? That's a massive amount of lead tape. Not really feasible. If you are starting out with a 45.75" inch driver then just forget about it. Now you are talking 8-9 swingweights. Its impossible to make that up.
[/quote]
It is true and easy to adjust your SW especially for a experienced builder. And the total weight of the driver has nothing to do with the SW but everything to do with the static (overall) weight which often is confused with SW. It is possible to have the exact same SW with a driver built with a 75g shaft and a 75# shaft. And starting with a 45.75 is no problem either. Last summer I bought a g25 which is 45.75" stock. I had a ust vts 85g shaft laying around I installed this shaft and cut it to play at 44" 1.75" shorter then stock. With a stock grip weighing in the 55g range the club sw was c8 or c9 at this point you can add weight to the head as most people do or take weight away from the butt end. I did this by installing a winn lite v17grip that is 26g. This brought my sw back up to D3.5 Lead tape is the easiest way to add weight to the head unless you have a driver with adjustable weights that can be changed. But when building you can use hosel weights, hot melt the head, tungsten powder and other things to get the weight back to your desired sw.
[/quote]

Lacey - I should have mentioned in my post in the spirit of full disclosure that the driver I cut down had adjustable weights. Not surprisingly, it is a Wishon.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who have cut the shaft, did you have SW adjusted? I've been playing for a year with 44.5" (1.5" shorter) on my RBZ driver, but never adjusted SW.

Ping G425 10.5 / Ping G410
Callaway UW 17*
Ping G410 4H
Cobra F7 EL 4i
Ping i200 6-UW / i500 5-PW Power Spec / i210 5-PW
Ping Glide 4.0 54/58
SC Phantom x 9.5 

[quote name='Jeckert07' timestamp='1389300742' post='8429953']
I've been wanting to use a shorter shaft in my driver for awhile now, I guess the article helped solidify the decision...
[/quote]

+1 :superman:

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Lacey Underall' timestamp='1389293470' post='8429143']
Not necessarily true. If you cut a 45" driver down to 44" then you have a 6 swingweight difference to make up. Heavier shaft will get you 1-2 swingweights max. So now you would have to add enough lead tape to make up 4 swingweights? That's a massive amount of lead tape. Not really feasible. If you are starting out with a 45.75" inch driver then just forget about it. Now you are talking 8-9 swingweights. Its impossible to make that up.
[/quote]

Not true. 4 SW points is about 8 grams. That is far from a "massive" amount of lead tape. As options you also have tipweights, hotmelt, or just switching weights if you have a driver with moveable weights.

[quote name='square' timestamp='1389304782' post='8430495']

Unfortunatlely the manufacturers, including Wishon Golf, don't offer the components (head size and especially head weight) which make a shorter than 45" driver easily attainable.

[/quote]

Sigh. . . . I do wish that you would take the time to do a little research before you post something like this that is not true and which can end up being very misleading to others who read your post.

The std headweight of my 919THI driver heads is 202g with a +/-2g tolerance. Every 919THI is made with a weight bore below the shafting bore that can accept up to a 9 gram weight. Therefore it is easily possible to achieve normal swingweight ranges when building the 919THI to lengths of 44.5, 44, 43.5.

With our other driver model, the 739CCG, it has two weight screw ports which both can accept up to as much as a 16g weight screw in each port. Optional weight screws come in 2.5g, 6.5g, 9g, 13g and 16g. It also has a weight bore in the hosel that also can accept up to a 9g weight. The 739's open port headweight starts at 188g. So with the 2.5g weight screws in each port the 193g headweight allows assembly to lengths of 45 to 46" - but using the other weight screws or even the 9g weight bore in the hosel, you can build the 739 to normal swingweights for any length all the way down to as short as 42" if desired.

Please do your homework before you lump my company in with those who do not pay attention to golfers' fitting needs.

TOM

[quote name='TomWishon' timestamp='1389323381' post='8432563']

Unfortunatlely the manufacturers, including Wishon Golf, don't offer the components (head size and especially head weight) which make a shorter than 45" driver easily attainable.

[/quote]

Sigh. . . . I do wish that you would take the time to do a little research before you post something like this that is not true and which can end up being very misleading to others who read your post.

The std headweight of my 919THI driver heads is 202g with a +/-2g tolerance. Every 919THI is made with a weight bore below the shafting bore that can accept up to a 9 gram weight. Therefore it is easily possible to achieve normal swingweight ranges when building the 919THI to lengths of 44.5, 44, 43.5.

With our other driver model, the 739CCG, it has two weight screw ports which both can accept up to as much as a 16g weight screw in each port. Optional weight screws come in 2.5g, 6.5g, 9g, 13g and 16g. It also has a weight bore in the hosel that also can accept up to a 9g weight. The 739's open port headweight starts at 188g. So with the 2.5g weight screws in each port the 193g headweight allows assembly to lengths of 45 to 46" - but using the other weight screws or even the 9g weight bore in the hosel, you can build the 739 to normal swingweights for any length all the way down to as short as 42" if desired.

Please do your homework before you lump my company in with those who do not pay attention to golfers' fitting needs.

TOM
[/quote]

:Schooled:

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Another person who read the book years ago and have played a 44.5 inch driver for a long time. I custom ordered my current driver from PING to be built at a D2 SW.

A side bonus is that it significantly reduced my old habit of frequently changing drivers. Hitting a stock 45.75 inch driver doesn't feel right, even when I choke down.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I'm going back to a sub 45" this weekend too when I have my irons tweaked. I played with a 44" driver from the 975D through a couple of Taylormade drivers, a wicked Tour Edge Proto, and a 905R.

About five and a half years ago I remember taking the 905R into Golfsmith in Pasadena and crushing three straight 300 yd + drives no more than 4 yards off the center line. I mean I didn't even take a practice swing. It took less than a minute for me to walk through the door, nod to a tech, point to my driver and then to the swingvision/trackman/launch monitor thing as if to say, [i]Here comes trouble[/i].

He pulls the rip cord and starts the Unidentified Ball Monitoring Gizmo (UMBG), I throw down a crap ball on a tee, address that b*#%h, and swoooossshhhhh. I was 30 and really in my prime, and found the slot very easily and consistently. The tech literally said, "I've never seen that before." My buddy, who's an 18 hdcp and really admires my game, told him, "He plays with a 44" driver." I mean, can I get a[i]...Somebody call 911[/i]. [i]This guy just murdered three golf balls[/i]...???

Nope, the techie looks at me and literally verbally ponders in my direction, "Why?", as if it was really really dumb that I cut an inch of my driver. I put the head of my 905R in my right hand and pointed the grip end of that stick at the computer screen and stated, "That's. Why."

God I wish that last part was true... You have no idea how many times I wish I thought to say that on the spot. In reality, I just modestly said I like the feel. I didn't want to continue a conversation with someone who didn't understand the value of those three drives on a dry run.

Yes, I know the UBMG is majorly juiced. And I'm going back to a sub 45 incher.

I’m wondering if my recent experience will sound familiar to decent amateur golfers with swing speeds in the 100mph range. I’m 50 but in good shape, 6’ and 160 pounds, with a SS of 100 – 102 and an index of 2. When I hit my strong 3-wood (a Sonartec SS-07, which is a deep face, very high CoG model with 13* of loft) the average distance came within 5 yards of my Adams 45” driver, albeit with a lower, more draw-biased flight.

I considered playing with just the strong 3-wood—43” length—but thought the head size offered too little forgiveness. But on the flip side, a 460cc head on a short shaft starts to look and feel too jumbo-sized. So I tried to imagine “the middle ground,” a smaller driver head played at 44,” and found a nearly new Titleist 975L-FE, which I believe is 350cc. I installed a Purple Ice 65x shaft and added five strips of lead tape to the back of the club head. Swingweight is now D-3. This thing is THE most consistent, best feeling driver I’ve ever swung, and center-face hits have increased.

It’s old school, yes, but it’s also a good conversation piece on the first tee: “Is that, um . . . some kind of 2-wood, or what?”

Thank you for your contributions to club fitting, Tom. Very informative.

Tom,

I stand by my statement. You do a lot of writing about how beneficial shorter length drivers are, but you don't seem to back it up with sensible product offerings. For example, your 919 model driver
is a 202 gram, head weight with the capacity to add 9 grams . So, if I understand correctly, 211 max head weight and the added weight is confined to the shaft bore area.
Your 739 model uses screws, and with that the capacity for more weight, but the location of the screw ports is questionable. Some players prefer to have at least some of the added weight forward, towards the face.
Before you accuse accuse me of "not doing homework", consider the possibility that you may not know everything., and that your product line could be improved. Hope this helps.

[/quote]

TOM
[/quote]

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

Try thinking sometime, you might like what happens.

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1389323954' post='8432631']

[/quote]

I didn't build it based on a book., but years ago I used an MFS 3 wood shaft in my R9 420 and had the best driving found of my life. For some dumb reason took it out and continued to struggle. Fast forward to this past year and do the same with an ad di. Instant improvement. Ended up settling in a D+ 72 at 44" and I still choke down about half inch.

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

[quote name='square' timestamp='1389336018' post='8433679']
Try thinking sometime, you might like what happens.

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1389323954' post='8432631']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I was only playing dawg, I've always wanted to use that smiley but everyone on here is so polite all the time, this is nothing like the Hockey site I go on lol

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='square' timestamp='1389335909' post='8433677']
Tom,

I stand by my statement. You do a lot of writing about how beneficial shorter length drivers are, but you don't seem to back it up with sensible product offerings. For example, your 919 model driver
is a 202 gram, head weight with the capacity to add 9 grams . So, if I understand correctly, 211 max head weight and the added weight is confined to the shaft bore area.
Your 739 model uses screws, and with that the capacity for more weight, but the location of the screw ports is questionable. Some players prefer to have at least some of the added weight forward, towards the face.
Before you accuse accuse me of "not doing homework", consider the possibility that you may not know everything., and that your product line could be improved. Hope this helps.

[/quote]

TOM
[/quote]
[/quote]

Tom actually did respond to your statement, which mentioned nothing of the placement of added weight.

You can always use hot melt instead of hosel weights and put it where you like. Of course, 9 grams is not enough to effect the COG of the head. So for your request of more weight toward the face, the starting head weight would have to be much lighter for there to be a real effect regarding placement of weight, assuming a reasonable swing weight range. But, I'm sure you already knew this.

FYI, the KZG G4 head in your WITB signature moves weight around the perimeter, not lower and toward the face. If you're going to spout statements to manufacturers about offering more current designs, you may want to get that 12 year old driver technology out of your bag.

[quote name='trhode' timestamp='1389356007' post='8434019']
Tom,

[/quote]

TOM
[/quote]
[/quote]

Tom actually did respond to your statement, which mentioned nothing of the placement of added weight.

You can always use hot melt instead of hosel weights and put it where you like. Of course, 9 grams is not enough to effect the COG of the head. So for your request of more weight toward the face, the starting head weight would have to be much lighter for there to be a real effect regarding placement of weight, assuming a reasonable swing weight range. But, I'm sure you already knew this.

FYI, the KZG G4 head in your WITB signature moves weight around the perimeter, not lower and toward the face. If you're going to spout statements to manufacturers about offering more current designs, you may want to get that 12 year old driver technology out of your bag.
[/quote]

And he says nothing about why he thinks even the 211 gram isn't 'enough' for playing at the shorter lengths despite implying it. The 'standard' 3wd head is only 210 gms and that's almost universally played without any SW issues for shorter lengths than been suggested for the drivers.

I play a 44" driver because I was able to find a head size (425CC) and head weight (weight screws). TM offered this in their 425 model, which came out about 2006.
43.5' to 44.5" are great. Unfortunatlely the manufacturers, including Wishon Golf, don't offer the components (head size and especially head weight) which make a shorter than 45" driver easily attainable.

[quote name='Lacey Underall' timestamp='1389290192' post='8428781']
I've only gone as short as 44.5" in the past. Tempted to build something at 44" this year. Still having a hard time believing that the change in swingweight won't be a problem.
[/quote]
[/quote]

edit.point already covered

For years I expect everyone who has participated in an internet golf forum is well aware that led tape, hot melt, and tip weights are an option for adding weight to golf club heads. But not especially good ones.
The reason I've directed a few posts at Tom, last week and last night, is to suggest that making smaller heads, and making the addition of head weight easier, would be in harmony with his promotion of 43" to 44" finished length drivers.
FYI, the 425CC R7425 , and the KZG Gf4, weight screw ports, do move the weight towards the face.These two drivers, very similar in design, have 2 weight ports centered and back, while the other 2 weight ports (heel and toe area) position the weight towards the club face. You are right my driver is "8 year old technology", but as I wrote in my first post of this thread, those looking to play shorter driver lengths may be best served by smaller heads (390CC to 430CC size) and easy addition of head weight. As far as I know the TM R7 425 and KZG GF4 are the only drivers heads which meet this criteria..

[/quote]

I am 6'4" tall and play a 44-3/8" long driver. I did this based on reading Wishon's books and forum.

It's a bit tricky to do because of the weight issue. So many drivers these days are built to be at least 45.5" long in order to get the right heft and balance, you will need to find a heavier shaft and get the head weight right. But, I've done it and it's the best I've hit a driver since my junior golf days.

RH

Let's see...you prefer smaller driver heads and the ones Tom Wishon sells aren't small enough for you...so therefore everything Tom Wishon says on the subject is wrong.

Got it. Thanks for your input.

Where does that [I]meme[/I] come from anyway? The one about "I can't make my driver shorter because then a 460cc clubhead looks too big"? :WTF:

I already have long ago. Normal club is 44.75"

shorter driver for more accuracy is 43.875 and has 0.8 degrees more loft on it.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

Where did I write "everything Tom Wishon says on the subject is wrong"? Please stop misquoting me.
#1 I believe that the engineers and designers who created 460CC heads did so with the expectation that these drivers would be played at 45" (or longer) finished length.
#2 I believe, and several others here have posted the same, that a 460cC head appears to large when fitted to be a 44.5" (or shorter) finished driver.
#3 I believe there is a functional playability benefit to swinging not only a 44' driver but also a smaller (390CC to 430CC) size head.. Specifically, it is easier to make balanced swings and more in harmony with the rest of the clubs within the bag.

Tom Wishon disagrees with much of the above, So what ? A forum is supposed to be a place where information is exchanged and a range of perspectives expressed.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1389365850' post='8434677']
Let's see...you prefer smaller driver heads and the ones Tom Wishon sells aren't small enough for you...so therefore everything Tom Wishon says on the subject is wrong.

Got it. Thanks for your input.

Where does that [i]meme[/i] come from anyway? The one about "I can't make my driver shorter because then a 460cc clubhead looks too big"? :WTF:
[/quote]

[quote name='GLF4EVR' timestamp='1389366646' post='8434783']
Have a hard time with many of these posts. To me it like Larry, Moe, & Curly explaining physics to Albert Einstein.
[/quote]

Try questioning authority. Over the years most of the club makers and teaching professionals I have known have one distinct thing in common. They struggle to break 80. My point is that are relatively very few club makers (or instructors) capable of actually helping a player get better performing clubs (or swings).

[quote name='GLF4EVR' timestamp='1389366646' post='8434783']
Have a hard time with many of these posts. To me it like Larry, Moe, & Curly explaining physics to Albert Einstein.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Many, many times tests have been conducted, not just by me, but by many in the business, to confirm that the addition of up to 9 grams of weight in the heel end of a golf club (or in the toe end too if you like) cannot change the center of gravity nor any other aspect of a clubhead enough to cause any possible problems with performance. Period, that's a fact. Actually it takes more than 12g to even begin to have an effect on the shot. And at 12g a slight draw bias begins to happen but one which is detectable only to very, very consistent ball strikers. So at 9g in the heel, whether that is done by putting a weight into a hosel weight bore or with a tip weight in the end of the shaft, that 9g addition on the heel side of a clubhead does nothing to performance from the standpoint of what it does to the CG. If you cling to the notion that weight added in the heel of a head hurts performance, you are wrong.

An interesting side note is that in the 919THI, putting 9g into the hosel weight bore increases the MOI of the head by @280 g cm2. So it could actually be said that adding weight in the heel area of the head helps its performance in terms of a slight increase in off center hit performance.

The forward screw hole on the 739CCG driver is there to allow clubmakers and golfers to put more weight closer to the face to decrease launch and spin if desired. That forward screw hole on the 739 is plenty close enough to allow movement of the CG toward the face when a heavier weight is installed in the forward screw hole. And the rear screw hole on the 739 is there to allow weight to be put farther from the face should a little higher launch and spin be desired. This option to move the CG forward or back was always a part of this design from day one of its concept.

In your other post you mentioned that this being a forum, it is a place for an exchange of different ideas and information. That it is for sure true and that is a major positive benefit. When you posted to me some time ago suggestions for different size heads, I may not have agreed based on my career experience and personal career work feelings, but at the same time, I do respect your right to that opinion.

But in this case when you make statements that are wrong about my driver designs not being able to be built to shorter lengths or not having a forward weight addition capability for moving CG forward, that's different than an opinion and as such that misinformation needs to be corrected so that incorrect, wrong information is not dispensed to others.

TOM

[quote name='square' timestamp='1389366569' post='8434767']
#2 I believe, and several others here have posted the same, that a 460cC head appears to large when fitted to be a 44.5" (or shorter) finished driver.[/quote]

Right. You think it looks too big. That's your the point you are making. Then you restate it as...

[quote]#3 I believe there is a functional playability benefit to swinging not only a 44' driver but also a smaller (390CC to 430CC) size head.. Specifically, it is easier to make balanced swings and more in harmony with the rest of the clubs within the bag.[/quote]

Yeah, you think it looks too big and it affects your "balance" and "harmony". That's nothing to do with the driver, it's just that you don't like it because it looks too big.

[quote]Tom Wishon disagrees with much of the above, So what ? A forum is supposed to be a place where information is exchanged and a range of perspectives expressed.[/quote]

There's nothing there to disagree with. Nobody on this forum doubts that you're telling the honest truth. You think a 460cc clubhead looks too big.

No worries. We understand you completely. Thank you for sharing your perspective. You can find guys on any numbers of "blades" threads with similar hangups about looking down and see a 5-iron clubhead that's too large. So you are not alone.

[quote name='square' timestamp='1389364319' post='8434513']
For years I expect everyone who has participated in an internet golf forum is well aware that led tape, hot melt, and tip weights are an option for adding weight to golf club heads. But not especially good ones.
The reason I've directed a few posts at Tom, last week and last night, is to suggest that making smaller heads, and making the addition of head weight easier, would be in harmony with his promotion of 43" to 44" finished length drivers.
FYI, the 425CC R7425 , and the KZG Gf4, weight screw ports, do move the weight towards the face.These two drivers, very similar in design, have 2 weight ports centered and back, while the other 2 weight ports (heel and toe area) position the weight towards the club face. You are right my driver is "8 year old technology", but as I wrote in my first post of this thread, those looking to play shorter driver lengths may be best served by smaller heads (390CC to 430CC size) and easy addition of head weight. As far as I know the TM R7 425 and KZG GF4 are the only drivers heads which meet this criteria..

[/quote]
[/quote]

I totally understand what you are saying about the visual size of the club head. I have always preferred them as well.
I think what you're not understanding is how much weight it takes to actually effect the COG in a club head. It's close to 30g. What mostly happens when you move weights around in the r7425 and G4 heads is a change in the feel of the club. Moving a 10g weight from the heel to the toe will effectively change the swing weight which translates to feel.
I have played both heads you have referred to and was a KZG dealer for about 3 years. I dropped KZG because the tolerance on the driver heads was no where close to consistent. I would get 2 of the same heads and they would be 3* in loft apart and different face angles. Sorry, don't mean to rant.

Tom has offered many smaller cc designs in the past. Just because he doesn't offer them now doesn't mean he won't again. It seems to be a cycle. Most of the smaller heads I see now a days have less forgiveness in them with less roll and buldge. So you have to really be consistent to hit the sweet spot every time.

Oh, btw, I am a club builder and hold a 1.7 handicap.

I read Tom's book a long time ago, great read

I am a tallish guy at 6'2" tall and I have played 44.5" driver with heavier shafts for years

The 910 looks like an oversized toy head on a shorter shaft. Love that you can load up heavy weights on the Titleist 910 and 913 heads

I have a tip for you to try as well. Crank your swing weight up to D6, D8 etc and see what you think .. MAGIC babies. Recall that old school irons of the 60's and 70's had large swingweights before the short lived featherweight iron craze arrived (and then crashed)

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9