Ping i25 Driver, Fairway Woods and Hybrids: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So bummed by those silly racing stripes (how hard is it to align a 460cc head?). Regardless, I know I'll buy one at some point.

Even more annoying, I know there is/are Raider fans out there with cars/trucks painted just like this and I know they will pee themselves is sheer joy (49ers fan here). Trust me, I'm not wanting a red and gold crown either.

SLDR 430 Tour AD MT-7x
915-Fd Fuji 757x
MP-4 4-PW C-taper 115x
Scratch raw 54/60
Mills tour/ Pro V1

I think the entire line will be very successful for Ping. The stripes appear very subtle in the Mark Crossfield video and he seems to be a big fan of them. I've watched enough of his reviews to trust his judgement on clubs.

Ping designs clubs based on engineering and performance............things are done with a purpose to enhance performance.

This will be another outstanding line of equipment from Ping............for those that give it a chance!

I am amazed at the number of people that are writing these off before ever hitting them or seeing them in person. I had an opportunity to see all the new stuff in person yesterday. I was able to see it in real light situations, not studio lighting or pictures that can be misleading. The stripes are very subtle. If you are completely against having the stripes on the crown then I guess nothing will change your mind but I think people will find that the stripes are way more of a positive than a distraction. I really like the way the stripes help frame the ball and really do think that they will help the setup process. The driver looks like my Anser but with stripes but with a much smoother sole. I could never understand all the grooves on the sole of my Anser. I think the fairway woods look fantastic. From what I was told, they may end up being too low launching for me but I like the looks of them. I think the stripes look great on the fairway wood. The hybrid looks real nice....smaller sized head with nice square face with a minimal amount of offset. The i25 irons look very similar to the i20s. I like the looks of the cavity in the i25 and while the soles look very similar in width, they did put a little bevel on the trailing edge which will most likely be a positive for some. I did not get a chance to hit anything. I am not in the market for irons but I think they would be on my short list if I was. I will give the driver and hybrid a try once our season starts up.

Overall, I think people just need to wait and see everything in person before making up their minds.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 2024 Ventus Blue
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 2024 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 19deg hyb Blue Ventus HB

Ping G430 22 deg hyl Blue Ventus HB
Mizuno Pro 245 5-pw Axiom 105s
Mizuno S23 50-54-58 
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick

I find it interesting that virtually all Tour players are constantly checking their alignment and practicing with clubs and alignment sticks on the ground.............are the amateur ranks not understanding the benefits of an alignment aid on woods. This is something that will help many peoples game.

TaylorMade last year and now Ping have introduced visual aids to really enhance clubhead alignment.............and many people are really put off by them. No question there is an adjustment period in getting used to them...........but I found after playing the TS2 driver last fall, that I really liked it and the alignment visuals were a good thing.

I see WAY to many players that don't pay enough attention to their alignment and they work their way out of good position. I really think these clubs from TM and Ping offer a nice advantage if people will give them a chance and use them.

It's the future.

[quote name='Asleep' timestamp='1388880449' post='8399071']
[attachment=2008169:i25bagc.jpg]
[/quote]

That's a thing of beauty!

Ping G410 plus Tour65 S
PING G410 3w Tour 75 S
PING G410 hybrids: 18*, 22* & 26* TENSEI PRO BLUE 80 GR S
[PING G410 irons: 6 - U Nippon MODUS³ Tour 105
PING Glide 3.0 Wedges: 54* SS, & 60* SS

Scott Cameron Fastback 2.0
Member of TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

I hit the i25 line up this week and I fell in love. I expected I would, but the line exceeded my expectations. I gained 3 mph of ball speed on a 7 iron vs my i10.
I was blown away by the driver and my improvement in ball speed. I didn't have the chance to hit the shaft that I will end up with, and once I get the final product it will assuredly give me a few more yards via mph. My first ball with the driver and I hit it a tad towards the toe, it beat my best ball speed on a driver I was custom fit for in the fall. My fittings are excessively detailed, I assure you my G25 Aldila Rip'd NV was maximized for my game. My best ball speed on that driver is 170. I recall once seeing Tiger at 175 mph and have always hoped to get there. The G25 added 4 mph over my previous i20.

So my first swing with i25 pwr 75 s shaft (I play an X with extra tip trimming) was 170.1 mph of ball speed. I look to the PING rep and tell him I missed it, and there's more. I hit the next one a little better and get 173 out of it, then 175, then 177, 178, 178, 175.... I am in love! The spin rate was in line with my G, and once I get my custom shaft I believe I will be hitting it 14-18 yards longer. Did I say I was in love?

[quote name='golf215' timestamp='1390103781' post='8487199']
I hit the i25 line up this week and I fell in love. I expected I would, but the line exceeded my expectations. I gained 3 mph of ball speed on a 7 iron vs my i10.
I was blown away by the driver and my improvement in ball speed. I didn't have the chance to hit the shaft that I will end up with, and once I get the final product it will assuredly give me a few more yards via mph. My first ball with the driver and I hit it a tad towards the toe, it beat my best ball speed on a driver I was custom fit for in the fall. My fittings are excessively detailed, I assure you my G25 Aldila Rip'd NV was maximized for my game. My best ball speed on that driver is 170. I recall once seeing Tiger at 175 mph and have always hoped to get there. The G25 added 4 mph over my previous i20.

So my first swing with i25 pwr 75 s shaft (I play an X with extra tip trimming) was 170.1 mph of ball speed. I look to the PING rep and tell him I missed it, and there's more. I hit the next one a little better and get 173 out of it, then 175, then 177, 178, 178, 175.... I am in love! The spin rate was in line with my G, and once I get my custom shaft I believe I will be hitting it 14-18 yards longer. Did I say I was in love?
[/quote]

Nice write up. Did your loft shift at all - either increase or decrease?

[quote name='golf215' timestamp='1390103781' post='8487199']

[/quote]

What was your club head spin, spin rate, and LA? Was your swing speed much greater than than your prior equipment. Distance wise, could you share some performance statistics and was the equipment the club tested on, trackman, flightscope, or some other type of Launch monitor

thanks

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1390148190' post='8489053']
So why did PING drop the lofts on the hybrid?

3-hybrid is now 19? And 4-hybrid is 22? What's up with that?
[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing. I have found, even with an even loft exchange, that I have gapping issues because the hybrids play longer for me (regardless of manufacturer) than comparable iron lofts. Combination of longer and lighter shaft and often better contact (higher MOI) puts some additional yards on the strike.

how the spin on the new i25 vs the anser, the anser is going to be hard to be there

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1390154847' post='8489689']
Yeah, it definitely creates gapping issues. If you go from 22 hybrid to 27 5-iron, that's a big gap.

You almost need 22 hybrid, 24 4-iron, and 27 5-iron.

It's just silly that the 22 hybrid is called a 4-iron replacement.
[/quote]

I would totally agree with that. I certainly won't be going with the 19* as the next Club down from my 4 iron, it will be the 22* I would think.

[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1390140154' post='8488455']

What was your club head spin, spin rate, and LA? Was your swing speed much greater than than your prior equipment. Distance wise, could you share some performance statistics and was the equipment the club tested on, trackman, flightscope, or some other type of Launch monitor

thanks
[/quote]

The I25 spin rate was about the same as my G25 but I wasn't too concerned about it as I would expect the stock PWR 75 S shaft to be higher spinning than my Rip'd NV X. I was using a Foresight GC2 with Nflight software from PING. As a result I can't tell you if there was a swing speed difference. Foresight GC2 is preset to read a 1.45 smash factor on every ball, it only properly sees ball speed and then does reverse math to take a guess at head speed. It is possible to swing 120, toe it, and it'll read 117. It's also possible to nut it at 117, and have it read 117.

I am looking forward to experimentation with the 9.5 G25 head, the I25 10.5 head, and then the two shafts... 1st being the Rip'd NV, the other will likely be the RIP Beta 70 X.

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1390154847' post='8489689']
Yeah, it definitely creates gapping issues. If you go from 22 hybrid to 27 5-iron, that's a big gap.

You almost need 22 hybrid, 24 4-iron, and 27 5-iron.

It's just silly that the 22 hybrid is called a 4-iron replacement.
[/quote]

Keep in mind that as manufacturers change the CG in a head they might have to change loft in order to attain a desired trajectory. Often they are seeking a trajectory. It's possible based on CG/shaft/moi and other design elements that a 25 will launch at the same height as a 26 under testing.

[quote name='FullOfBrushMan' timestamp='1390160162' post='8490131']
On Ping's website 3-9 has a swing weight of D0. Can I ask if they make heavier versions of these clubs? Also how come manufacturers are going toward lighter swing weights nowadays? Just curious.
[/quote]

Of course. PING's custom tuning port is actually a weight. Based on shaft, grip, length, there will be large range of available swing weights. Just specify what you want. You can even change it later.

I can't speak for the other brands but I know that PING tries to determine which swing weight has the perfect balance of feel and good results under robot testing. Swing weight can affect ball flight. It's about finding balance. PING delivers it to you with the best balance for the widest variety of players. You're allowed to change to a wide array of swingweights. PING does this better than any other brand.

[quote name='FullOfBrushMan' timestamp='1390160162' post='8490131']
On Ping's website 3-9 has a swing weight of D0. Can I ask if they make heavier versions of these clubs? Also how come manufacturers are going toward lighter swing weights nowadays? Just curious.
[/quote]

Light SW was always part of their product DNA. I remember early Eye 2's would sometimes be in the C9 range (Karsten also believed in stiff shafts relative to the industry).

As the poster stated above, order any reasonable SW you want and Ping will accommodate you. I usually go D3 on my 4-P.

Occasionally, you will see someone complain about the SW in their Ping clubs and its usually that they either forgot to specify SW or they purchased off the shelf, etc.

[quote name='golf215' timestamp='1390162977' post='8490383']
I can't speak for the other brands but I know that PING tries to determine which swing weight has the perfect balance of feel and good results under robot testing.
[/quote]

They actually do blind testing with human players and ask them to pick their favorite balance and feel. Based on a consensus they make their clubs lighter by default. And they have for years.

You can choose your own swing weight. [color="#282828"]After decades of playing D2/D3 I now prefer D0.[/color]

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1390165144' post='8490601']
[quote name='golf215' timestamp='1390162977' post='8490383']
I can't speak for the other brands but I know that PING tries to determine which swing weight has the perfect balance of feel and good results under robot testing.
[/quote]

They actually do blind testing with human players and ask them to pick their favorite balance and feel. Based on a consensus they make their clubs lighter by default. And they have for years.

[/quote]

How silly of me. I should have mentioned the human element of feel as well. I was referring to the often undiscussed or unrealized slight performance differences from various swing weights. I hadn't heard about the blind swingweight tests, that's great.

PING fits with a heavy emphasis on player feel. I was at PING for a training last spring and Mike had me try graphite regular irons in my fitting solely because I liked the feel. I have cfs-x cushin irons but have some recurring hand/elbow pains and as a result wanted something that felt soft. The graphite reg felt the best, and after we figured that out we looked to see if there was detrimental impact. On paper graphite reg is the wrong material and two flexes too soft for me. However, the ball didn't balloon on me. It didn't hook any more, or create a poor dispersion pattern. As a result, beast me, who can hit drives well over 300 was fit into graphite reg irons. Me and my buddies got a kick out of that, certainly some jokes to be had at my expense.

I was also fit into 12 degree G25 tour s shaft on the driver. Those two fits wouldn't typically go together... but they had the best combination of[i] feel[/i] and [i]performance[/i] for me, with the [i]emphasis on feel[/i] of course. Admittedly, I came home and didn't go with these fits. I have a certain confidence gained by playing a shaft that fits me by conventional swing mph standards. I hit the gym, worked with a trainer, and have a 5 day/wk workout plan to build up the muscles in my hands and arms so that I mitigate pain. I'll be playing X driver, and X irons this year. Last year it was X driver, ZZ-65 cushin shaft. A change to Nions from Golf Pride was a stupid move. My hand was not happy about the change, I should have stayed with Excel RF.

Once I had the chance to run similar tests in my launch monitor on the driver, I found hit the 10.5 better than the 12.. I think the combo of a low spin day in my swing and being in AZ [i]not PA[/i] led to that days' 12 degree fit. I went with the 10.5, and then used Nflight to find Rip'd NV. After receiving it, I liked the feel... especially after a few months on the new workout plan.

... back to the stress ball.

I made the mistake of hitting the i25 woods tonight
they were delightful[list=1]
[*]the racing stripes are VERY subtle - almost ghost like. NOT DISTRACTING at all
[*]the OEM PWR shafts are very good (for me anyways). Much improved over last years stock offerings. Smooth smooth smooth. I hit the PWR 75X in a 8.5, 9.5, 10.5 head
[*]these things are deep ... and forgiving. I hit a few low on the heel (my miss) and it was barely off line and still went.
[*]very low spin head, not Anser low, more like G25 low maybe a tad less, like in-between G25 and Anser I'd say
[*]I found I had to go up in loft to get a high enough L/A, and normally PING I need to go down. I got my best numbers in a 9.5 head, turned to ( - ), PWR75 TOUR X flex.
[*]some of my longest drives were in the 1900-2200 spin, 15* L/A and a few touched 300 (and im not a long ball hitter)
[*]the fwy's are GORGEOUS ..... seriously now PING, you nailed these RIGHT ON THE HEAD.
[*]just like the drivers, long, low spin and forgiving
[/list]

After all this tho, Im still pretty satisfied w my current set up as numbers were very close to the i25 line.
that being said, if they mis-behave, I know I can buy an OTR i25 driver & 3w and be stoked on them

I wasnt 100% sold on this line when I first saw it, but coming from someone who played the whole i20 line of woods .... these are better - MUCH better

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"