The Truth About Rust On a Club

rbhan12

I've seen a lot of people suggesting correct and incorrect methods to produce rust on a club, typically their wedge. As a chemist, I want to hammer out some facts for all of you wondering about how to rust your wedges. Before you do anything else, you need to have the iron exposed; that means removing the finish on the club.

FACT 1: Iron will not rust in dry air; there has to be moisture

FACT 2: Iron will not rust submerged solely in water; oxygen must be present

FACT 3: Iron loss and rust formation occur at different places

FACT 4: Iron will rust more quickly in an acidic environment

FACT 5: Iron will rust more quickly in an ionic environment

FACT 6: Iron will rust more quickly when in contact with a less active metal such as copper, and slower with a more active metal, like zinc.

Basically, don't keep your club in water or wrapped in a wet towel, you're doing nothing for yourself. Don't keep it submerged in coke or in salt water either, you're not gonna get any rust until you expose it to air. In fact, if you're keeping it in coke, all you're doing is causing more iron loss.

Corrosion is a fairly complex electrochemical process, if you guys want me to go into further detail I can. That being said, if you keep those 6 facts on hand and remember them, you'll find yourself rusting your wedges a lot faster.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Water contains dissolved oxygen so why wouldn't rust form when fully submerged in water or wrapped in a wet paper towel?

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

[quote name='marrigo' timestamp='1389316615' post='8431787']
Water contains dissolved oxygen so why wouldn't rust form when fully submerged in water or wrapped in a wet paper towel?
[/quote]

For a few chemical reasons, but for simplicity's sake think of it as the amount of oxygen dissolved in water is dismal compared to the amount in air.

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1389319320' post='8432069']
I think when people are using coke it is to remove a finish to make the club raw to make it rust in the future, I don't think most people are expecting a rusty wedge when they remove it from coke
[/quote]

True, however i've read so many people say so many people say the latter of what you wrote. I remember reading someone say that they love the look of a rusted wedge so much that they leave it in a bucket of water for a few days. :swoon: Just felt the need to put the facts

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1389315821' post='8431691']
I've seen a lot of people suggesting correct and incorrect methods to produce rust on a club, typically their wedge. As a chemist, I want to hammer out some facts for all of you wondering about how to rust your wedges. Before you do anything else, you need to have the iron exposed; that means removing the finish on the club.

[u][b]FACT 1:[/b][/u] Iron will not rust in dry air; there has to be moisture
[u][b]FACT 2:[/b][/u] Iron will not rust submerged solely in water; oxygen must be present
[b][u]FACT 3:[/u][/b] Iron[i] loss[/i] and [i]rust formation[/i] occur at [i][u]different[/u][/i] places
[u][b]FACT 4:[/b][/u] Iron will rust more quickly in an acidic environment
[u][b]FACT 5:[/b][/u] Iron will rust more quickly in an ionic environment
[u][b]FACT 6:[/b][/u] Iron will rust more quickly when in contact with a less active metal such as copper, and slower with a more active metal, like zinc.

Basically, don't keep your club in water or wrapped in a wet towel, you're doing nothing for yourself. Don't keep it submerged in coke or in salt water either, you're not gonna get any rust until you expose it to air. In fact, if you're keeping it in coke, all you're doing is causing more iron loss.

Corrosion is a fairly complex electrochemical process, if you guys want me to go into further detail I can. That being said, if you keep those 6 facts on hand and remember them, you'll find yourself rusting your wedges a lot faster.
[/quote]

It's nice to see some nice "raw" facts (no pun intended) every once in awhile.

OK, so when I submerged my carbon wedge in tap water and it rusted what exactly happened?

GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

[quote name='marrigo' timestamp='1389321521' post='8432343']
OK, so when I submerged my carbon wedge in tap water and it rusted what exactly happened?
[/quote] Did it rust while it was in the water or once you took it out?

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[/quote]

i believe you mean carbon steel. tap water has ions dissolved in it, most commonly chlorine, fluorine in some states, magnesium, and copper. those metal ions will allow rust to form. i'm sure you didn't get much rust as well. it's much more efficient to use a fine mist of water on the wedge and reapplying after it evaporates.

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1389322406' post='8432443']
[/quote] Did it rust while it was in the water or once you took it out?
[/quote]

exactly what i was thinking. if it did my post above will explain why, however he probably didn't get much rust at all. would get much more rust and probably a more even spread of rust is he used a mist.

[quote name='gsrjc' timestamp='1389324382' post='8432679']
Do people rust the wedges for looks or do they do it because the rust increases the friction on the ball which increases spin?
[/quote]

Conventional logic would tell you that there would be more spin because of the increased roughness on the wedge. However, radar testing has shown that there's no meaningful difference in spin between a rusted wedge and finished wedge. Most people do it for the non-glare look, some like the little rusty areas. I personally just like the look of raw steel, especially if it's been sanded.

edit: also, if you're a solid ballstriker, you'll end up removing whatever rust is in the sweetspot anyway, so theoretically after a few strikes it shouldn't really matter

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1389325172' post='8432777']
Do people rust the wedges for looks or do they do it because the rust increases the friction on the ball which increases spin?
[/quote]

Conventional logic would tell you that there would be more spin because of the increased roughness on the wedge. However, radar testing has shown that there's no meaningful difference in spin between a rusted wedge and finished wedge. Most people do it for the non-glare look, some like the little rusty areas. I personally just like the look of raw steel, especially if it's been sanded.

edit: also, if you're a solid ballstriker, you'll end up removing whatever rust is in the sweetspot anyway, so theoretically after a few strikes it shouldn't really matter
[/quote]

Thanks. I figure it might also prevent people from stealing your clubs if they looked rusted too instead if bright and shiny.

[quote name='gsrjc' timestamp='1389325547' post='8432823']
[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1389325172' post='8432777']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks. I figure it might also prevent people from stealing your clubs if they looked rusted too instead if bright and shiny.
[/quote]

LOL you might have more concerns than just the facts about rust!

The most effective way to rust a club in my opinion is to sit in a container of coffee grounds for 2 weeks... Like OP said above, the club must be in a raw state for the rust to form evenly... I personally follow the following steps for best results

1) Remove current finish of wedge
2)400,800,1200 grit wet & dry sand the club for a flawless finish- note any grit finish would work fine i personally like a grainy finish in the raw steel before the following steps
3) clean the club with hot soapy water, dry and wipe down with acetone- note wear gloves when using acetone, also to ensure no oil from your skin is left on the club before the next step
4) after it as been wiped down with acetone apply a propane heat gun and 'blue' the raw steel remembering to not touch the club with bare hands as this will create marks.
5) once the club is blue it will show any imperfections in the former finish, e.g if spots still remain it will not blue. return to above steps until this step is complete.
6) using freshly used coffee grounds (must be grounds and not unused beans) fill an empty can and place the club head submerged in the grounds, apply a small cup of warm water, only enough to moist the coffee grounds and leave for up to 2 weeks, for best results i find 2 weeks to be perfect!
7) remove, rinse and clean out the hosel before installing a shaft for use. Reapply when the finish starts to wear.

This is a more detailed process to most but i have found this finishes the club in a superb way, i personally have done this process minus a few steps such as bluing the club prior however i find this finishes the rust look more finely and antique when the wear fades.

I'd love to see before and afters if anyone tries this out, ill post mine in a few weeks after my next batch are complete.

[quote name='4Wedges' timestamp='1389371857' post='8435309']
Hmm...pure "water", i.e. H2O, is two parts hydrogen, one part oxygen...so by "volume", oxygen would make up 33% of pure "water".

Oxygen in the air is about 21%.

Why is there not more oxygen in water than in the air?
[/quote]

The O in H2O is not free oxygen and is unavailable to directly react with anything, however stuff dissolves in water including atmospheric oxygen. At room temperature water can hold about 10 parts per million dissolved oxygen. Fish and other aquatic organisms use this dissolved oxygen to "breath" by means of extracting that dissolved oxygen from the water with their gills.

GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

[/quote]

I bet this has been discussed elsewhere, but for arguments sake: Its only lookwise. I think the performance will actually decrease in real life situations, rust will clog up the Grooves which are there to get rid of a certain amount off grass thats getting stuck between the ball and the clubface. With rust and essentially no escape root for the grass you basically aquaplane the ball over the face. At least thats my theory. I keep my wedges clean and the grooves working, you can get the colour and the nonglare effect otherwise.

But still a nice thread, thanks.

Driver: Titleist 909 D3 8.5 Profo. T. V2
Wood: Titleist 909 F2 15.5 X100 Tipped
Irons: Mizuno Mp33 3-P PX 7.0
Wedges: Dyna. forg. 52°, 56°, 60° PX 7.0
GP Multi in Midsize
Putter: Heavy Putter w.SuperStroke Fatso

[quote name='HateTheHighDraw' timestamp='1389359882' post='8434169']
Just move to Florida, you'll be rusted up in about 5 minutes, no wet towels, no ion baths needed
[/quote]

Or Nova Scotia, We're like the Canadian version of Florida lol. Things literally rust overnight here, you can not get any farther than 67km from the ocean here. :)

To OP, Would submerging them in Sea Water do anything more then normal water with the salt content?

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I prefer to not force the rust personally, I just dry soft bristle brush after each shot but I dont wipe them down, you end up getting a more natural looking almost camo effect and since it takes longer it becomes like an excuse to practice since I live in western nevada there isnt much humidity at all so without practice I get no rust.

Bag stolen...we shall rebuild!  We have rebuilt!

Razr Fit Xtreme 10.5 Miyazaki JDL

Razr Fit Xtreme 4 wood Aldila Trinity

Searching for a Hybrid

Maltby DBM 4-PW Recoil Prototype 125's

52-56-60 Cleveland Tour Van Forged Modus 120 S

Old AF TM Spider 

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1389410212' post='8439271']
Just move to Florida, you'll be rusted up in about 5 minutes, no wet towels, no ion baths needed
[/quote]

Or Nova Scotia, We're like the Canadian version of Florida lol. Things literally rust overnight here, you can not get any farther than 67km from the ocean here. :)

To OP, Would submerging them in Sea Water do anything more then normal water with the salt content?
[/quote]

Or Hawaii. My MB2s would turn orange after my rounds.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='mizunostaffer' timestamp='1389374763' post='8435657']
try putting your wedge in 50% water 50% strong bleach, amazing things happen
[/quote]

even the strong bleach you have is about 5-6% bleach 94-95% water. if you actually had a 50% concentrate of bleach you might have more problems than just rusting your wedge!

[quote name='marrigo' timestamp='1389403877' post='8438721']
Hmm...pure "water", i.e. H2O, is two parts hydrogen, one part oxygen...so by "volume", oxygen would make up 33% of pure "water".

[/quote]

The O in H2O is not free oxygen and is unavailable to directly react with anything, however stuff dissolves in water including atmospheric oxygen. At room temperature water can hold about 10 parts per million dissolved oxygen. Fish and other aquatic organisms use this dissolved oxygen to "breath" by means of extracting that dissolved oxygen from the water with their gills.
[/quote]

the above is correct, the oxygen in water is different than the oxygen [i]dissolved[/i] in water, let alone the oxygen we breathe. one is a gas, another is an element in a compound.

[/quote]

[/quote]

if you're submerging you're wasting your time! look at the first post :) you should use a fine mist from a spray bottle and spray that salt water on your wedges. you'll see how fast and evenly it'll rust. the salt content (ions) will speed up the rusting process significantly.

Hey fellas stop the childish arguing, I mean rbhan12's avatar photo cant scream "reliable science information guy" to just me certainly! :cheesy:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Good post op and it actually makes me realize that back in the day when I first joined it seemed like there were a TON of threads about how to do this. I remember one guy who was freaking out Irate that nothing he was trying worked for him and he was sick of all the bad information about it and then he posted a picture of this chrome wedge, that was pretty funny. [/size]

[size=4]I say Pin this thread! But I'm nobody so....[/size]

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[/quote]

[/quote]

Great...now my head hurts from learning something! ;)

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1389426429' post='8440237']
[quote name='mizunostaffer' timestamp='1389374763' post='8435657']
try putting your wedge in 50% water 50% strong bleach, amazing things happen
[/quote]

even the strong bleach you have is about 5-6% bleach 94-95% water. if you actually had a 50% concentrate of bleach you might have more problems than just rusting your wedge!

[/quote]

[/quote]

the above is correct, the oxygen in water is different than the oxygen [i]dissolved[/i] in water, let alone the oxygen we breathe. one is a gas, another is an element in a compound.

[/quote]

[/quote]

if you're submerging you're wasting your time! look at the first post :) you should use a fine mist from a spray bottle and spray that salt water on your wedges. you'll see how fast and evenly it'll rust. the salt content (ions) will speed up the rusting process significantly.
[/quote]

Oh I understand the submerging won't work part, I was just curious if the sea water would do anything different when submerging. Would you still have to remove the original finish when misting with sea(salt) water? Or would that step not be necessary when using sea(salt) water?

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Not entirely sure if salt water would remove a finish. I personally don't think it would but perhaps it could, similar to how us northerners find rust on our cars because of the salt on the roads. It will cause it to rust faster to use a mist of salt water versus plain water.