The Truth About Rust On a Club

rbhan12

[quote name='SurfinTurf' timestamp='1389484531' post='8443421']
FACT 7: My 588 RTGs are AWESOME!!

FACT 8: Rust on your TrueTemper DG's is not awesome.
[/quote]

+1 to this... :superman:
Was thinking about that last night while reading this thread. Def gonna protect the shafts if I am gonna be rusting and my wedges.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1389319320' post='8432069']
I think when people are using coke it is to remove a finish to make the club raw to make it rust in the future, I don't think most people are expecting a rusty wedge when they remove it from coke
[/quote]

If coke could remove the finish of a club, just imagine what it could do to your mouth or stomach. The only thing you accomplish soaking a club in coke is wasting time and money. It's an urban myth.

Shambles

[quote name='Huntster' timestamp='1389486666' post='8443599']
My question is why would you want rust on your clubs?
[/quote]

I thought the same thing at first, but I kinda starting to like the idea now. I'm not going to rust my ATV's, But I have a set of PowerBuilt CNC Milled wedges I'm planning to reshaft soon, I may do it with these to so see if I like it. :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Shambles' timestamp='1389486475' post='8443581']
I think when people are using coke it is to remove a finish to make the club raw to make it rust in the future, I don't think most people are expecting a rusty wedge when they remove it from coke
[/quote]

If coke could remove the finish of a club, just imagine what it could do to your mouth or stomach. The only thing you accomplish soaking a club in coke is wasting time and money. It's an urban myth.

Shambles
[/quote]

Well, the amount of time that coke is in contact with our mouth and teeth is significantly smaller than the amount of time that people leave their wedge in coke. As far ad the damage it can do to our stomach, gastric acid (stomach acid) has a pH of about 1 or 2, and coke is around 3 if memory serves me. The mucus in our stomach lining and esophagus handles gastric acid pretty well which is anywhere from 10 times to 100 times more acidic than coke. Our stomachs will be just fine. Using our imagination is great however science and facts are much more useful.

As far as it being an urban myth, it's true that coke will not remove some finishes but it certainly will enhance rusting. While you may feel that it's a waste of money to rust a wedge, some guys like that look over the chrome or satin or whatever. Again, science (chemistry) >>> claims and myths.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

[quote name='HateTheHighDraw' timestamp='1389359882' post='8434169']
Just move to Florida, you'll be rusted up in about 5 minutes, no wet towels, no ion baths needed
[/quote]Same here on the Grand Strand of SC especially wedges and short irons even if you don't hit the traps

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1389494349' post='8444283']
[/quote]

Shambles
[/quote]

Well, the amount of time that coke is in contact with our mouth and teeth is significantly smaller than the amount of time that people leave their wedge in coke. As far ad the damage it can do to our stomach, gastric acid (stomach acid) has a pH of about 1 or 2, and coke is around 3 if memory serves me. The mucus in our stomach lining and esophagus handles gastric acid pretty well which is anywhere from 10 times to 100 times more acidic than coke. Our stomachs will be just fine. Using our imagination is great however science and facts are much more useful.

As far as it being an urban myth, it's true that coke will not remove some finishes but it certainly will enhance rusting. While you may feel that it's a waste of money to rust a wedge, some guys like that look over the chrome or satin or whatever. Again, science (chemistry) >>> claims and myths.
[/quote]

Coke as a club cleanser IS an urban myth. It will not remove ANY finish unless that finish was already ready to come off even before the application of coke. It's a waste of time and money to use coke as a cleanser. You can do a better job cleaning with simple water and a stiff nylon brush or even a vigorous rub with wet newsprint than with a coke soak.

Raw clubs will develop a patina and surface rust even if left alone and simply used. The advantage of raw clubs is that it maintains that patina with only a slight lightening at the impact areas and the clubs maintains their look even after a few years of regular use. Plated clubs lose their plating with use and show it. Their disadvantage is that they do not store well because the surface rust builds up and could cause pits especially if you live in a place with a polluted atmosphere that causes acid rain. To store raw clubs for an extended time it's best to wrap the heads individually with an oily newspaper and keep it very slightly oily.

Shambles

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1389322612' post='8432461']
[quote name='marrigo' timestamp='1389321521' post='8432343']
OK, so when I submerged my carbon wedge in tap water and it rusted what exactly happened?
[/quote]

i believe you mean carbon steel. tap water has ions dissolved in it, most commonly chlorine, fluorine in some states, magnesium, and copper. those metal ions will allow rust to form. i'm sure you didn't get much rust as well. it's much more efficient to use a fine mist of water on the wedge and reapplying after it evaporates.
[/quote]

Sounds just like normal use. Play a nice morning round, get some dew on the wedge, let it dry. Repeat.

Ping K15 :: Graff PL Red @ 43.5"
Titleist 910f :: 15*
TaylorMade 09 Rescue 3 :: 19*
MP-59 4i-PW : 2flat : -.5" : s300
Callaway X-Forged 54/12 & 60/10
Odyssey White Hot XG #1:: Salty Grip

[quote name='Shambles' timestamp='1389559561' post='8447785']
[/quote]

Shambles
[/quote]

[/quote]

Coke as a club cleanser IS an urban myth. It will not remove ANY finish unless that finish was already ready to come off even before the application of coke. It's a waste of time and money to use coke as a cleanser. You can do a better job cleaning with simple water and a stiff nylon brush or even a vigorous rub with wet newsprint than with a coke soak.

Raw clubs will develop a patina and surface rust even if left alone and simply used. The advantage of raw clubs is that it maintains that patina with only a slight lightening at the impact areas and the clubs maintains their look even after a few years of regular use. Plated clubs lose their plating with use and show it. Their disadvantage is that they do not store well because the surface rust builds up and could cause pits especially if you live in a place with a polluted atmosphere that causes acid rain. To store raw clubs for an extended time it's best to wrap the heads individually with an oily newspaper and keep it very slightly oily.

Shambles
[/quote]

I certainly could see that using Coke as a cleaner might not work. However, are you saying that Coke will not remove the finish from a wedge? It won't remove chrome, but it will definitely remove many other finishes. I have used Coke on four different sets of wedges to get them "raw".

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just want to clarify.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1389560942' post='8447901']
Learned a lot here, today.
Thanks, OP
[/quote]

No problem! Glad it was helpful for you.

[quote name='numberonecoog' timestamp='1389567224' post='8448429']
Didnt OP once ask why he couldn't remove the finish off his Chrome wedge?
[/quote]

Indeed! I did ask that about a week or two ago. Like many of us on here, I learned from members that a chrome finish is not removable by a coke bath or vinegar bath. Another post another lesson. I never looked into the chemical makeup of a chrome finish. I'm sure that if you use hydrochloric acid or nitric acid the chrome would come dissolve, however so would your wedge!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1389567270' post='8448443']
[/quote]

Shambles
[/quote]

[/quote]

Shambles
[/quote]

I certainly could see that using Coke as a cleaner might not work. However, are you saying that Coke will not remove the finish from a wedge? It won't remove chrome, but it will definitely remove many other finishes. I have used Coke on four different sets of wedges to get them "raw".

[/quote]

I don't know what finish you are talking about, or if it is even what I would call a finish. There are a variety of coloring processes that are done home brew that I have not tried, but these are things that you have to keep doing over and over again because they wear out so quickly with use. Kindly specify.

Shambles

^^ I've read here a few times that black oxide is removable with coke. I've never owned a black oxide wedge though so I've never tried for myself.

I have used Coke on oil can, slate, and black ox. They are all "finishes" but not plating. I dunno. Maybe we're saying the same thing? Potato / PotAto?

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1389592044' post='8450635']
FACT 7: Rust on your irons does nothing for spin!
FACT 8: Rust looks like crap!
[/quote]
Re: fact 9......
Many people love the look of a rusty club. So, Fact 9 is in fact, factless.......

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1389567270' post='8448443']
[/quote]

Shambles
[/quote]

[/quote]

Shambles
[/quote]

[/quote] Obviously coke is not going to remove a plated metal finish (i.e. vokey tour chrome/ black nickel) however it will remove an unplated finish (i.e. vokey oil can) if you dont believe me come look at my wedges.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I concur that this thread needs to be pinned. Lots of myth and legend being scientifically debunked here. Quality discussion, for the most part.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1389595554' post='8450737']
I concur that this thread needs to be pinned. Lots of myth and legend being scientifically debunked here. Quality discussion, for the most part.
[/quote]

How many more votes before I'm the author of a pinned thread? :D

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1389598348' post='8450773']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe your avatar is holding you back.

No offense :)

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

This has been covered a hundred times before.

[size=5][b]OP if you want to learn even more...[/b][/size]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/788867-here-is-a-quick-basic-tutorial-on-wedge-finishes-and-removal/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...es-and-removal/[/url]

cut and paste

[size=5][u][i][b]Here is a quick, basic tutorial on wedge/putter finishes and removal.[/b][/i][/u][/size]

[b]Carbon steel clubs. Examples include Mizuno MP irons and wedges, Vokey wedges, Callaway forged wedges, old Cameron Oil Can Classics, Studio Designs, and Circa 62's.[/b]

1. Raw - This metal is unprotected and will rust if you live in humid areas of the world. If you live in the desert probably not. This is why you paint cars and plate wedges...to keep them from rusting.

2. Gun Blue - This is a dark finish that is not very durable. It will wear fairly quickly and will need to be reapplied. Coke, vinegar and other methods remove this finish easily.

3. Oil Can - This finish is similar to Gun blue but has a yellowish brown look to it usually. Easy to remove with Coca Cola and all of the other tricks.

4. Black Oxide - Usually just another name for Gun Blue. However there is a professional process that is called Hot Bluing that is also referred to as Black Oxide. This finish is more durable than typical Gun Blue but not as durable as Nickel Plating.

5. Nickel Plating - This finish is much more durable and wear resistant than than 1-4. Coke will not remove this. This plating must be removed professionally. Nickel plating comes in various colors like black and yellow. If you've seen a Cameron Pro Platinum putter then you have seen a nickel finish.

6. Chrome - Chrome gets applied over the Nickel Plating to make the club even more durable. Usually chrome gets buffed to a mirror like shine so the clubs look really pretty. In higher lofted wedges this mirror like shine can cause problems with glare from the sun.

7. Satin Finish - This is a chrome plating that has not been buffed to a mirror like shine. Think of this finish as tiny scratches applied evenly over the entire club head. This is usually done to avoid the glare issues.

There is much more in that thread. I recommend you take a look if you are interested in this sort of thing.

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1389429290' post='8440275']
Hey fellas stop the childish arguing, I mean rbhan12's avatar photo cant scream "reliable science information guy" to just me certainly! :cheesy:

[size=4]Good post op and it actually makes me realize that back in the day when I first joined it seemed like there were a TON of threads about how to do this. I remember one guy who was freaking out Irate that nothing he was trying worked for him and he was sick of all the bad information about it and then he posted a picture of this chrome wedge, that was pretty funny. [/size]

[size=4]I say Pin this thread! But I'm nobody so....[/size]
[/quote]

This guy was trying to rust his SS wedges and was having no luck. It was kind of funny.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/391388-rusting-a-raw-wedge/

[quote name='SurfinTurf' timestamp='1389602943' post='8450825']
[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1389598348' post='8450773']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe your avatar is holding you back.

No offense :)
[/quote]

Lol I do get a lot of crap for my avatar, oh well!

Arafel, thanks for the post regarding the different finishes!