2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The Single Malt Scotch Thread

cardoustie

Any love for MacCallan here?! Thought 15yr. was the best during a scotch tasting at Caledonia Scottish Pub in NYC (2nd Ave between 83rd & 84th st)

Also went to a Highland Park tasting there and also thought their 15yr was the best but not at the level of MacCallan.

Callaway Epic Mini driver- 12.5* (Epic head, Mini Big Bertha shaft- Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 S)
TM Burner Superfast 2.0- 3 wood 15*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid (UST Mamiya Recoil ES 780 S)- 18*
Maltby DBM (KBS Tour S)- 4-GW
Bridgestone J15 wedges (True Temper DG Spinner)- 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Select

I added some new one's in the last month

Lismore 18 - fantastic (and I'd never heard of it)

Bunnahabhain 18 - incredible

This is a newer brand
Kilchoman - Machir Bay - OK, light and smooth but a wee peaty for me

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

bunnahabhain is a mouthful to say, and just wonderful to taste.

i'm moving in the other direction for this evening. old school cutty sark with the father in law (his home, his choice). going to have to break out the ice and club soda to survive this one.

[quote name='Ace Underhill' timestamp='1389132928' post='8417905']
Any love for [i]Macallan[/i] here?
[/quote]

yes, yes there is. first scotch i enjoyed neat. :)

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1389388371' post='8437319']

i'm moving in the other direction for this evening. old school cutty sark with the father in law (his home, his choice). going to have to break out the ice and club soda to survive this one.

[quote name='Ace Underhill' timestamp='1389132928' post='8417905']
Any love for [i]Macallan[/i] here?
[/quote]

yes, yes there is. first scotch i enjoyed neat. :)
[/quote]

throw a little Red vermouth in with that Cutty Sark big cat ... a little Rob Roy action. The scotch version of a rye loaded manhattan

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='cardoustie' timestamp='1389389299' post='8437441']
[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1389388371' post='8437319']

[/quote]

throw a little Red vermouth in with that Cutty Sark big cat ... a little Rob Roy action. The scotch version of a rye loaded manhattan
[/quote]

cardoustie, solid advice and much appreciated, but no vermouth (red or otherwise) was to be found. i was regaled with stories about how cutty sark was president lyndon johnson's beverage of choice, and if it was good enough for the president, it was good enough for my FIL to keep on the shelf. and to be honest, after the 2 cubes melted down, cutty sark was damn drinkable. i may have been drinking as a form of escape, so i will revisit my opinion of this scotch at a future date.

my main problem right now, is that i can feel the inescapable doom of a killer hangover coming my way.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Forgive my intrusion into this thread as I am not an experienced scotch drinker or even much of an alcohol drinker of any kind. I have had wine, beer, bourbon, ouzo, brandy,gin and vodka and can see how you could learn to drink most of these. My “cousin in law” gave me a drink of this scotch over Christmas.

[attachment=2015481:Screen Shot 2014-01-03 at 9.01.38 PM.png]

How do you drink this stuff? This was pretty harsh and if this is at all representative of scotch in general I will have to pass. I will describe how this was for me. Kerosine,smoke, iodine, leather, salt, more smoke with a good hint of Kiwi shoe polish. Really undrinkable and may have caused blindness if I could have gotten more down. Pardon the interruption. Carry on.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

[quote name='scotee' timestamp='1389421062' post='8440079']

Forgive my intrusion into this thread as I am not an experienced scotch drinker or even much of an alcohol drinker of any kind. I have had wine, beer, bourbon, ouzo, brandy,gin and vodka and can see how you could learn to drink most of these. My “cousin in law” gave me a drink of this scotch over Christmas.

How do you drink this stuff? This was pretty harsh and if this is at all representative of scotch in general I will have to pass. I will describe how this was for me. Kerosine,smoke, iodine, leather, salt, more smoke with a good hint of Kiwi shoe polish. Really undrinkable and may have caused blindness if I could have gotten more down. Pardon the interruption. Carry on.
[/quote]

You may wanna try a lighter, fruitier and smoother scotch like Glenlivet 12

The peaty scotches are an acquired taste and in my experience you may need to build yourself up to them

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 50°/54°/60°
Wilson Staff 8882

I've owned:
Glenfiddich 18
Glenlivet 18
Glenlivet Nadurra

I've tasted:
Bowmore 12
Bowmore 18
Glenlivet 12
Glenlivet 15
Oban 14
Macallan 18

My favorites are the Bowmore 18 and the Glenlivet 18. I could never get a taste for either the Glenfiddich or the Macallan. The finish has too much edge on both of them.

[/quote]

Just drink it. Be a man!

[/quote]

first of all, don't apologize for stopping by and posting your question. i can still remember being a 'new' scotch drinker as it wasn't that long ago.

here is my advice.

1. put aside that bottle of port charlotte. matt is right - a peaty smokey scotch is an acquired taste, not something you just jump into. you can always revist that scotch at a later date, and it may surprise you with its complexity and eminent drinkability.

2. pick up a bottle of what i would call 'starter scotch.' glenlivet 12, glenmorainge 12 or jonnie walker black (not red, red is trash). if you want something a bit sweeter, try a scotch that has been finished in a different cask, sherry or rum. my personal favorite: balvenie carribbean cask.

3. pour yourself 2 fingers of that scotch in a rocks glass over 3 cubes of ice. add about 2 fingers of club soda. stir gently and wait about a minute for it to chill slightly.

4. take a sip. it still might not taste 'good' as far as what you are used to, but give it a chance. drink at least that one glass, down to the bottom.

5. stand up slowly. especially if you are not a big drinker, you'd be surprised. scotch, even diluted with club soda and ice, can pack a punch.

6. drinking scotch produces a different type of intoxication. it's the drink of an intellectual. scotch is meant to be sipped and savored, not shoved down in a rush. it's not about getting drunk, it's about enjoying the time AS you get drunk. :)

over time, as your taste buds progress, and your level of enjoyment intensifies, you'll find yourself eliminating the number of ice cubes, eliminating the club soda, and drinking scotch with maybe a few drips of water or straight up.

7. good luck OP. if you give scotch a chance, you are at the onset of an awesome journey of discovery. if it's not for you, that's okay too. let us know how it goes, and stop back in anytime if you are looking for a recommendation.

cheers!

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1389462452' post='8441667']
[/quote]

first of all, don't apologize for stopping by and posting your question. i can still remember being a 'new' scotch drinker as it wasn't that long ago.

here is my advice.

1. put aside that bottle of port charlotte. matt is right - a peaty smokey scotch is an acquired taste, not something you just jump into. you can always revist that scotch at a later date, and it may surprise you with its complexity and eminent drinkability.

2. pick up a bottle of what i would call 'starter scotch.' glenlivet 12, glenmorainge 12 or jonnie walker black (not red, red is trash). if you want something a bit sweeter, try a scotch that has been finished in a different cask, sherry or rum. my personal favorite: balvenie carribbean cask.

3. pour yourself 2 fingers of that scotch in a rocks glass over 3 cubes of ice. add about 2 fingers of club soda. stir gently and wait about a minute for it to chill slightly.

4. take a sip. it still might not taste 'good' as far as what you are used to, but give it a chance. drink at least that one glass, down to the bottom.

5. stand up slowly. especially if you are not a big drinker, you'd be surprised. scotch, even diluted with club soda and ice, can pack a punch.

6. drinking scotch produces a different type of intoxication. it's the drink of an intellectual. scotch is meant to be sipped and savored, not shoved down in a rush. it's not about getting drunk, it's about enjoying the time AS you get drunk. :)

over time, as your taste buds progress, and your level of enjoyment intensifies, you'll find yourself eliminating the number of ice cubes, eliminating the club soda, and drinking scotch with maybe a few drips of water or straight up.

7. good luck OP. if you give scotch a chance, you are at the onset of an awesome journey of discovery. if it's not for you, that's okay too. let us know how it goes, and stop back in anytime if you are looking for a recommendation.

cheers!
[/quote]

MattTheTaff approves this message!

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Wilson Staff 8882

[quote name='MattTheTaff' timestamp='1389463209' post='8441725']
[/quote]

here is my advice.

cheers!
[/quote]

[/quote]kC approves MattTheTaff's approval of this message! (While sipping his Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or watching the Pats game)

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[/quote]

here is my advice.

cheers!
[/quote]

Eagle is clearly someone who has plenty of experience with Scotch.

Oh, almost forgot. I have a friend who is probably in the top 10 WorldWide of experienced scotch drinkers. At his home in Florida he has a Sub Zero Freezer with an ice making attachment that produces these big (larger than a golf ball) round ice cubes. This thing also makes regular ice but has this little box that kicks out the huge ice cubes just for use with drinks. It's awesome.....when I get rich I'll have one of those.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

I was with scottee, and i would argue with his description. The kerosine, smoke, iodine, leather, salt, more smoke, and shoe polish had been aged in and old hockey equipment bag, with chunks of a blown rear tire. I did finish the entire glass, and burped it for two days! Fortunately, no blindness ensued. I do enjoy an occasional "starter scotch".

[quote name='Dano golf' timestamp='1389578333' post='8449493']
I was with scottee, and i would argue with his description. The kerosine, smoke, iodine, leather, salt, more smoke, and shoe polish had been aged in and old hockey equipment bag, with chunks of a blown rear tire. I did finish the entire glass, and burped it for two days! Fortunately, no blindness ensued. I do enjoy an occasional "starter scotch".
[/quote]

take out the kerosine and shoe polish and hockey bag aging process, and it actually sounds pretty tasty to me, lol. how do you guys feel about lagavulin 16? or the distiller's edition?

also, apologies if i insulted anyone by claiming glenlivet 12 et al are 'starter scotches.' i'm certainly not above them by any means, as i've got a bottle of glenlivet 12 on my shelf right now. these were just the brands that i bought when i started drinking scotch, hence 'starter scotch.'

finally, not to be a port charlotte apologist (i've never had any... yet) - but here is a recent online review from a trusted source (in my opinion) that somewhat validates what mattthetaff and i were saying. like most peaty smoky scotches, An Turas Mor is a challenging scotch, and not for everyone. i think the port charlotte '10' comes more highly recommended, fwiw.

[b] Tasting Notes by [url="http://www.connosr.com/reviews/port-charlotte/port-charlotte-an-turas-mor/sea-breeze/markjedi1"]markjedi1[/url][/b]

An Turas Mor is Gaelic for ‘The Great Journey’ with which the makers refer to the coming of age of this malt, i.e. the journey towards 10 years old. This release from 2010 differs significantly from previous and subsequent releases. First, it is a multi-vintage blend (sources claim they did not have enough 9 Year Old PC to bottle at the time) and second, it is not bottled at cask strength.

The nose is very coastal, as if the briny sea water is spayed into your face. Soft peat. Soft are also the hints of vanilla and apples. Some blue cheese and stale beer. The predominant aromas, however, are stable and wet hay.

The palate is somewhat oily and feisty, with mostly dry peat and sea salt. Some fruit, but that remains in the background. Olive oil and even a hint of tar.
The medium long finish is smoky with quite a sweet twist. The bourbon cask rears its head primarily in the finish.

[b]Port Charlotte is for peat freaks.[/b] This one is very quaffable and affordable (about 42 EUR).

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1389532705' post='8445795']

[b]Eagle is clearly someone who has plenty of experience with Scotch. [/b]

Oh, almost forgot. I have a friend who is probably in the top 10 WorldWide of experienced scotch drinkers. At his home in Florida he has a Sub Zero Freezer with an ice making attachment that produces these big (larger than a golf ball) round ice cubes. This thing also makes regular ice but has this little box that kicks out the huge ice cubes just for use with drinks. It's awesome.....when I get rich I'll have one of those.
[/quote]

ha! thanks lumberman. i do love me some single malt, that's for sure. :)

for those of you who prefer a chilled dram, but don't want to over dilute with ice, i highly recommend these:
http://www.whiskystones.com/

can be had on amazon as well.

for reviews and recommendations, besides this thread, i also go here:
http://smokybeast.blogspot.com/

they've got good info on scotches, bourbon, and more. enjoy!

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Nowadays I only drink Glenlivet 12 and Lagavulin 16.

The Lagavulin is smokey and peaty but it's not overwhelming... And it's very smooth

I've not tried the distillers edition yet.

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Wilson Staff 8882

[quote name='MattTheTaff' timestamp='1389627871' post='8451967']

The Lagavulin is smokey and peaty but it's not overwhelming... And it's very smooth

[/quote]

trying to find reasons to stop giving you the internet rub and tug* but can't. i just finished a bottle of lag16 and your description is spot on.

*my terminology for a golfwrx 'like.'

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1389630377' post='8452187']
[quote name='MattTheTaff' timestamp='1389627871' post='8451967']

[/quote]

trying to find reasons to stop giving you the internet rub and tug* but can't. i just finished a bottle of lag16 and your description is spot on.

*my terminology for a golfwrx 'like.'
[/quote]

Rub and Tug has now entered MattTheTaff's vocabulary.

A few years back I tried one of the Taliskers in a pub and the heavy peat taste and smell put me off for years. I had to put the glass at the other end of the table!

And then someone turned me on to lag16 and I haven't looked back. Very balanced and it's become my favourite

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Wilson Staff 8882

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1389633742' post='8452505']
why can't i quit you?

<<sighs heavily and hands out another rub and tug>>
[/quote]

Ha! That last bit sounds like it came from a Jane Austin novel.... Or possibly a Thai massage parlour pamphlet

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Wilson Staff 8882

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1389495303' post='8444403']
[quote name='MattTheTaff' timestamp='1389463209' post='8441725']
[/quote]

here is my advice.

cheers!
[/quote]

[/quote]kC approves MattTheTaff's approval of this message! (While sipping his Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or watching the Pats game)

--kC
[/quote]

My name is Cardoustie and I approve this message

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='scotee' timestamp='1389671161' post='8456241']
Thanks for the advice and kind words. I wouldn't want anyone to spend $$ on something they can't drink but I would be curious to hear reactions from any who by chance try the Port Charlotte An Touras Mor:)
[/quote]

Pure speculation but think about who and where scotch comes from. I believe peat was burned as a main source of heat/cooking for centuries in many homes. So, for a true Scot, drinking these scotches is perhaps a walk down memory/ancestry lane.

[quote name='Va_Golfer86' timestamp='1389792663' post='8464523']
I posted this in a different thread, but feel many of the posters here would like it too. They specialize in small batch spirits that are not always found in the liquor store. Click at your own risk!

[url="http://caskers.com/home-shop/"]http://caskers.com/home-shop/[/url]
[/quote]

awesome stuff. i must have an awesome local, because i recognize many of the scotches on here, and at better pricing.

here's a chart that may help with what to expect taste-wise when enjoying a new scotch. i find it to be spot on. scotee, notice where port charlotte falls on this chart!
http://i.imgur.com/4Zhkge1.jpg

question for the group: what's the 'most interesting' scotch experience you've ever had? your story can include not only the uniqueness of the beverage, but what happened when you were drinking it (or in the aftermath).

i'll start:

about a year and a half ago when i was first getting into drinking scotch, i received a bottle from a client as a gift. the 2011 Lagavulin Distillers Edition - Cask Strength. at the time, i was still primarily a JWB/Highland Park/Glenlivet kinda guy, but had progressed to the point of drinking and enjoying my scotch with 2 ice cubes and a splash of club soda. i was so green when it came to knowing scotch terminology, i didn't even know what 'cask strength' meant, and had to look it up online. after some time, maybe a couple months or so, i opened her up and poured myself a typical drink.

and i hated it. incredibly briney, nose-burningly strong, with an eye watering finish. it tasted like punishment. i literally thought this might be a practical joke. people like this? people pay for this? i forced myself to keep drinking. someone had given this abomination to me to drink, and i was going to drink it, at least this damn first one.

and then the ice melted. the brine became sublime. the burn, tempered by the water, transformed into a warming glow, and the finish, while still strong, was a delicious subtle hint of what had passed, and what was to come. needless to say, i poured myself another, and yet another. the evening itself was nothing special, just dinner and a movie at home with the wife, but that scotch... damn amazing.

i can't find it in stores now, but will always remember how it won me over within one glass.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5