2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Hogan hands around the cookies to take away.

[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1390345518' post='8504275']
But seriously Kiwi, why can't you explain it?
Telling people they can't see past the "illusion" is so cheap and the recourse of those who believe in something without any proof.
Gurus and evangelicals etc. have used this method for thousands of years on vulnerable insecure people looking for something to cure their problems.
God exists! No he doesn't! Yes he does, you just can't see him!
[/quote]

it has been explained over and over again.

You are just so set in your ways and blind to new information you can't see it.

Those photos should have helped you.They prove it.

You said you were an arts teacher. If it is art as opposed to manual arts, you of all people should be able to see it.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1390343991' post='8504105']
Hands in front of the sternum eh? Check.
[/quote]

Are you really serious? Show me where I ever said hands in front of sternum? One time - you win the debate. If you read the ASI thread - I stated on several occassions that hands in line with mid-line of the torso or sternum is NOT what I teach, not during ANY part of the backswing.. And that it is a common mis-conception. You are thinking in 2D and so cannot even read my written words on the page, talk about perceptual filter bias!

Again - arms in front of chest is NOT the same thing as hands in line with sternum/mid-line. If you guys are sticking to that TOTALLY INCORRECT UNDERSTANDING OF THE ASI, then you are even more off base than I thought.

I will say it again - NOT what I teach.

But EXACTLY what I said you and Pin and some others over here on the real "dark side" have claimed to be what the ASI is all about. Dead wrong. Hands cross mid-line and end up somwhere opposite or nearly so the right shoulder girdle extremity. But - STILL IN FRONT OF THE CHEST IN THE DEPTH DIMENSION. Am I wasting my time here with you guys or do you even understand what the dept dimension is in the golf swing? It is the away from the chest direction, which is constantly changing since your chest is rotating.

Nowhere near the sternum....

Are you really going to be so vague in your choice of words in your second comment about "behind them". What exactly and precisely does that mean? Does it mean I advocate being "stuck". Again - if your read the ASI thread, one of the main advantages of that concept is that it is impossible to be stuck.

If you mean hands to the right of mid-line during Release and until Impact, then yes, I do teach that- that is another aspect of the ASI material and another part of it that you no doubt will also fail to grasp. You create a strong lever with that lead arm to chest angle on the downswing, which is close to that same angle you created in the takeaway. Hogan had a larger angle than most, ie more to right of mid-line to match his stronger, faster Pivot. If he pivoted at a medium speed with that lead arm angle, he would have hit it dead right. This is simple geometry - it is not advanced calculus.

You think Hogan stalled his pivot and hit it with a sideways arm slapping motion?? Really? Even an arm slapping motion across mid-line with an accelerating pivot? No way.

He told Tom Weiskopf about this who related it to me.

Of course the hands can be too far to the right of mid-line at impact, a real flaw, and if you do that, and dont compensate with face angle "save", you will push it off the planet.

The whole point of the ASI material is to sync up the arm and pivot motion so that one can arrive at impact with an on plane shaft, good path, a square face, proper AofA and good speed. We want to avoid path issues of too much in to out or too much out to in. The angle of lead arm to chest is key to achieving that.

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1390346642' post='8504407']
If the arms move more "horizontally" that means the arc is more around that person and they have to go more inside. It is just how planes work in a swing. Where else are they going to go?

Look back at my picture of Snead and Hogan. Inside. If you cannot see that, then you are obtuse.
[/quote]

Wrong again. Of course the hands move "inside" their starting position. I and Kiwi and everyone else who "gets" the ASI stuff clearly understands this.. OF COURSE THE HANDS MOVE IN AN ARC TO THE INSIDE OF THE TOE LINE AFTER THE END OF TAKEAWAY or even a little earlier than the end of takeaway. No one is saying they dont make that arcing to the inside move. We are saying there is a right way and a wrong way to do that. The wrong way is use the right bicep to flex the elbow, and pull the hands TOO MUCH to the inside during takeaway and/or second half of backswing. Just watch 99% of 35 handcaps, they all do that pull it inside with the arms move with almost no pivot.

I say it again - I teach an on plane backswing NOT an outside the plane, Jim Furyk backswing.

You guys are so commited to your totally false understanding of the ASI that you are simply incapable of hearing what we are saying.

So because Tom said Hogan said-so (which is the definition of hearsay), I am supposed to disregard Hogan's writings and my own two eyeballs? Really? Hogan had to use some arms unless he has rocket boosters on his hands. How else did his hands they go from "m[color=#282828]ore to right of mid-line to match his stronger, faster Pivot" to his mid-line at and just past impact? [/color]

And you know what I meant by in front of the sternum - which is the term Kiwi uses. I get it is to right at 45* (it has been posted in this thread already). What do you say about the inward hands and the early elbow plane going back for both Hogan and Snead? Doesn't fit your model.

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1390344027' post='8504113']
No use of arms by Hogan either, right? So he goes from here (right side of torso / somewhat behind):

[attachment=2031323:ben1.jpg]

To here:

[attachment=2031325:ben 2.jpg]

To finally here on the downswing:

[attachment=2031327:Ben 33.jpg]

To hands past midline

[attachment=2031329:Ben 4.jpg]

All without the use of the arms, just pivot right? I am glad I understand now, thank you for that.
[/quote]

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1390344027' post='8504113']
No use of arms by Hogan either, right? So he goes from here (right side of torso / somewhat behind):

[attachment=2031323:ben1.jpg]

To here:

[attachment=2031325:ben 2.jpg]

To finally here on the downswing:

[attachment=2031327:Ben 33.jpg]

To hands past midline

[attachment=2031329:Ben 4.jpg]

All without the use of the arms, just pivot right? I am glad I understand now, thank you for that.
[/quote]

Hogan's hands have not crossed mid-line in the second photo, and are only starting to cross it to the left of mid-line in the bottom photo. Again - 2D thinking on your part. His chest is facing well left of the position in space it was in at Address. Open chest at impact that keeps opening more all the way to the Finish.

Overhead views will show it better.

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1390348110' post='8504573']
So because Tom said Hogan said-so (which is the definition of hearsay), I am supposed to disregard Hogan's writings and my own two eyeballs? Really? Hogan had to use some arms unless he has rocket boosters on his hands. How else did his hands they go from "m[color=#282828]ore to right of mid-line to match his stronger, faster Pivot" to his mid-line at and just past impact? [/color]

And you know what I meant by in front of the sternum - which is the term Kiwi uses. I get it is to right at 45* (it has been posted in this thread already). What do you say about the inward hands and the early elbow plane going back for both Hogan and Snead? Doesn't fit your model.
[/quote]

Yes - in your case, I would strongly advise not trusting your own two eye-balls! LOL

Again - inward hands is of course happening. Inward relative to target line or toe line is NOT the same thing as inward/around the torso - which is the whole point of the Illusion.

And no - I don't use Hogan or Snead as a tour pro to model that portion of the ASI material dealing with takeway, which - again, if your read the thread, you would already understand. Are Hogan and Snead far off from the Leveraged Spin Style of a 45 degree left arm angle? Not at all. Probably closer to 50-55 degrees. Nowhere near Mr. High Handicap who has his hands at least six inches or more further inside than Hogan and Snead and with a clubhead that is likely three feet inside the toe line at that point.

The more I spend time over here, the more I understand how this is the real "dark side" and why the owners had to institiute special rules of behavior for the Hogan religous cult members.

You guys have ZERO interest in learning anything new about the golf swing..

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1390344489' post='8504159']
[attachment=2031337:Sadlowski.jpg][attachment=2031339:Rickie.jpg]

Someone might want to inform these two chaps that they need to get their arms straighter and more infront of their torso, b/c Jim says so...
[/quote]

Ej, really? Are you really this stubborn?

How many times do I have to explain it so that you will understand?

Oh - I get it, I am wasting my time with you and Pin, as several members have kindly already informed me.

"full tea cup" was the exact phrase on one. And a "cracked" one at that!

Jamie is not at an ideal postion at the Top but gets it back a bit more in front on transition, which is really tough to do, but being a superb athlete with a ton of practice time invested, he is able to do.

Mr. Average Golfer? Not so much.

Rickie for sure has his hands in front of his chest. Not the exact ideal position, but he is apparently working with Butch right now on this very issue, to get more width at the Top. Do you even know what that word "width" means? NOT in line with sternum. It means hands further away from the chest in the dept dimension.

And you do still think I mean sternum - your excuses notwithstanding. You have no clue about what I teach, or about the illusion concept. You are so far off-base it is not even funny.

[quote name='Jim Waldron' timestamp='1390348892' post='8504643']

[/quote]

Yes - in your case, I would strongly advise not trusting your own two eye-balls! LOL

Again - inward hands is of course happening. Inward relative to target line or toe line is NOT the same thing as inward/around the torso - which is the whole point of the Illusion.

And no - I don't use Hogan or Snead as a tour pro to model that portion of the ASI material dealing with takeway, which - again, if your read the thread, you would already understand. Are Hogan and Snead far off from the Leveraged Spin Style of a 45 degree left arm angle? Not at all. Probably closer to 50-55 degrees. Nowhere near Mr. High Handicap who has his hands at least six inches or more further inside than Hogan and Snead and with a clubhead that is likely three feet inside the toe line at that point.

The more I spend time over here, the more I understand how this is the real "dark side" and why the owners had to institiute special rules of behavior for the Hogan religous cult members.

[/quote]

Most of those crazy guys are gone, but more info came out of hogan debates than you could imagine. Btw I read your entire thread and I happen to disagree with it, so I guess that means that I don't want to learn anything about the golfswing.

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1390346642' post='8504407']
If the arms move more "horizontally" that means the arc is more around that person and they have to go more inside. It is just how planes work in a swing. Where else are they going to go?

Look back at my picture of Snead and Hogan. Inside. If you cannot see that, then you are obtuse.
[/quote]

Wrong again - as any one who has seen through the Illusion understands. In EJ World, there is only ONE WAY your hands can make an arc to the inside of the target line and of the toe line as the backswing proceeds, and fhe has just said it in plain English for all the world to see. "...that means the arc is more around the person and they have to go inside".

Really? That is strange since it is indeed possible to NOT MOVE YOUR HANDS INDEPENDENTLY EVEN ONE DEGREE AROUND THE "PERSON" or more accurately the torso, Any one reading this can try it right now - go to Address and dont move your hands and arms at all and just Pivot. Unless you are fairly inflexible, your hands will arc to the "inside" of your toe line quite nicely.

Come on, ej - if you want to debate me, at least bring your A game. You are making this way too easy for me...

OK, ASI guys, in my valiant attempts to reconfigure your english into something comprehensible.
We have:
- The "centreline". A line drawn parallel to the target line through the heels of the golfer?
- "In front of the chest". Imagine two large flat boards extending out from the sides of your torso at right angles to your chest.
The hands have to stay inside this 3D area?
The camera angle of any pics/video will affect how this looks of course, so to see this properly I think the camera should be in line with the feet, not where it usually is.

"You guys are so commited to your totally false understanding of the ASI that you are simply incapable of hearing what we are saying."
Calling people to dumb to understand is so imperious. I am highly educated and I struggle continuously to understand your language and how you explain things, same with Kiwi's language.
Here's a tip (from a qualified teacher), when trying to explain something to people do not tell them what you know or think, assume they don't know, and think inside their mind, lead them to understand from their position, do not just pour your "knowledge" over them. As you can see the simple words "behind" and "chest", which have clear defined meanings can be used wrongly, clear to you but if taken literally as they are defined is nothing like what you try to convey.
So please think of the recipient when trying to explain something, you have to assume they will not understand you and make sure your language is so clear and and unambiguous that they can't fail to understand what you say.
If you took this approach the ASI thread would be only 10 pages not 50+, because most of it was people not understanding you, not because they suffer from illusions but because your use of language is quite poor.
if you write well, you should not be able to be misinterpreted.
Honestly, it is really hard to follow you, you bounce all over the place.

Jim, really, where is an actual video or sequence to show what you are saying?
Is my understanding of the 45* push-away correct?

I am starting to think there is almost nothing to this so-called ASI and people have just been suckered in by the use of mysterious terms.

Jim you said nothing of value. I don't agree with you, arms play an Important role. In some of the beat strikers they move inside along the elbow plane not out and rigid. Again sadlowski or daly are big examples of how the arms work, neither of them have lazy pivots. It's called hands controlled pivot not the other way around. The distance From right of midline to more in front blows your theory out of the water.

I agree with Pin 10000%

But I disagree with the basic fundamental concept that the arms don't do anything but go up and down 12 inches.

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1390349691' post='8504721']
[quote name='Jim Waldron' timestamp='1390348892' post='8504643']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Most of those crazy guys are gone, but more info came out of hogan debates than you could imagine. Btw I read your entire thread and I happen to disagree with it, so I guess that means that I don't want to learn anything about the golfswing.
[/quote]

No - I like to give every person I encounter the benefit of the doubt, and believe that - unless they are a sociopath - they have a postive intention. Your sarcasm is duly noted but you will get nowhere with me with that attitude. You have clearly shown this entire forum how resistant you are to simple logical explanations that do not fit your current belief system about the golf swing. I think that clearly qualifies with being resistant to new ideas. Unlike most every member here who has posted in the ASI thread, you - like your pal Pin and a few others who hang out here in the real "dark side" - are not starting the conversation with me from a postion of mutual respect, and with a simple question of what exactly I may be talking about. Instead it is mockery and sarcasm. I guess that is how you operate. But I would not recommend it to any golf student who really wants to get better.

I think you disagree with it precisely because you do not understand it. It is a very powerful optical illusion - NOT a mental belief like Pin keeps trying to say it is.

When you attend a magic show and the magician "seemingly" materialzies a canary into his hand out of thin air, what do you say to yourself - "Gee - I really did NOT just see that canary appear, because I simply cannot fathom how he did it"??? Or do you ask yourself '" I don't believe the laws of science can be suspended, but i have watched this guy make the canary appear every night for the last month, and it sitll looks exactly the same to me, I wonder how is doing it"? If you did indeed ask that question, then maybe you would go backstage and ask the magician for the answer as to how he did it. He could probably show you in less than a minute how he did it and how he created an optical illusion in your mind.

[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1390350432' post='8504811']
This is kinda funny, I came back here to get away from Jim and Kiwi and they followed me!
And still Jim keeps insulting people, Jim over here we don't do that, ok?
[/quote]

Right - you dont do that "over here" when that is precisely why this sub-forum had the shackles put on it and half the regulars banned? Are you kidding?

Jim please don't talk about respect - I wanted to comment in your thread numerous times but I chose not too,
Other than a few posts maybe. It's not my place. But now Bc I disagree, I must not understand simple concepts and I don't want to learn. No sarcasm - that is what you are saying. That is so far from the truth. I fundamentally disagree with you. You method isn't a bad way, just not the way many greats swing. There is no illusion - just your preference.

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1390350430' post='8504809']
Jim you said nothing of value. I don't agree with you, arms play an Important role. In some of the beat strikers they move inside along the elbow plane not out and rigid. Again sadlowski or daly are big examples of how the arms work, neither of them have lazy pivots. It's called hands controlled pivot not the other way around. The distance From right of midline to more in front blows your theory out of the water.

I agree with Pin 10000%

But I disagree with the basic fundamental concept that the arms don't do anything but go up and down 12 inches.
[/quote]

Again - you are thinking in 2D. I have said several times now to you and you clearly are not even attempting to understand me. Gee - why am I not surprised by that? And this is your A game?

Really? Arms of course arc to the inside - just not very much in the horizontal dimension independently. By "independently" I mean the upper arms moving laterally from the shoulder sockets past that 45 degree angle marker. The body rotation moves the arms DEPENDENTLY at the same time as the arms themselves are moving independently in the 3 dimensions, and most of that is in depth dimension during takeaway. They are moving way less in the horizontal dimension than you believe. I

Do you even understand "elbow plane"? It just means a reference point for the shaft plane angle which gets a little bit higher in the vertical dimension than Address shaft plane.

Wrong on Hands Controlled Pivot too.

All that really means is how the golfer's mind processes information in the Sensory Feedback System.

Come on, ej. Is this the best you got - resorting to qouting TGM concepts that evem most TGM teachers cannot agree on?

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1390351000' post='8504899']
Jim please don't talk about respect - I wanted to comment in your thread numerous times but I chose not too,
Other than a few posts maybe. It's not my place. But now Bc I disagree, I must not understand simple concepts and I don't want to learn. No sarcasm - that is what you are saying. That is so far from the truth. I fundamentally disagree with you. You method isn't a bad way, just not the way many greats swing. There is no illusion - just your preference.
[/quote]

Ok, ej - I guess that mean you have had enough.

Agreeing to disagree is always a respectfiul way to end a debate.

And I am not saying to you - nor would I ever say to anyone - that you dont want to learn because of that disagreement. I am saying that because of the tone of disrespect and sarcasm that permeates your posts about myself, the ASI concept and some other teachers who have posted on this forum. You think calling the rest of the forum the "dark side" is showing respect to the rest of the members who hang out there? You guys really have no clue how much you come off as arrogant and condescending?

Case in point.
"Do you even understand "elbow plane"? It just means a reference point for the shaft plane angle which gets a little bit higher in the vertical dimension than Address shaft plane."
Now that is clear to you but I struggle to understand it, its a very poor explanation to someone unfamiliar with some ideas.
Can you try it again in a way that ANYONE can understand it?
Seriously, I am trying to help you, since your job is to communicate and if I struggle to understand your language many others must as well.

[quote name='Jim Waldron' timestamp='1390351404' post='8504955']
[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1390351000' post='8504899']
[/quote]

Ok, ej - I guess that mean you have had enough.

Agreeing to disagree is always a respectfiul way to end a debate.

And I am not saying to you - nor would I ever say to anyone - that you dont want to learn because of that disagreement. I am saying that because of the tone of disrespect and sarcasm that permeates your posts about myself, the ASI concept and some other teachers who have posted on this forum. You think calling the rest of the forum the "dark side" is showing respect to the rest of the members who hang out there? You guys really have no clue how much you come off as arrogant and condescending?
[/quote]

The dark side is a joke - I spend most of my time over there. I prefer it over here bc there is much less bs going on, more theory and better topics. My actual opinion about your described method is that it is a water down swing for hackers... I understand your point in doing that and that is helpful for for the average unathletic guy just trying to move the ball around, and that it serves a purpose. A simple swing for the masses. That is why I don't want to get involved in your thread. But I also know you teach a better swing for more accomplished players, which I know nothing about. I just don't see the concepts in Hogan. I get that the arms don't go behind the torso, but that is not my point (I agree it's better if they guy don't ). Pin picked up on the inside path, he likes it and it is represented in many quality swings. Inside path goes against the arm motion you describe. Also the pivot controlled stuff can create stuck... for a guy who is stuck, swinging the arms faster may actually help, but I a, sure you knew that. I personally don't like the straight arm stuff bc it creates a more vertical plane. So I get what you are teaching and that is fine, I just personally don't agree with it.

Tsk, tsk, tsk...here we are again. I could cut and paste my comments in the ASI thread (the one that dealt with civility) and it would be equally pertinent here. I am not taking sides, but I can state that I understand what has been said about the arms being in front of the chest. The problem seems to be in visualizing a 3 dimensional reality in a 2 dimensional image. It does "appear" that arms go across the chest, but since the torso has turned in the blended motion of the 45* push away, the relationship of arms to chest remains intact. I have proven that (to myself) by pausing at the moment of the BS and noting that the hands are pretty much where they were. Again, that is MY understanding. Others are convinced that THEIR understanding is equally valid. It seems pointless to me to try and convince people otherwise. If somebody does not want to accept what has been pointed out to them, so what? Let them believe what they wish to. Neither opinions have been absolutely proven as everybody has their own truth. So agree to disagree and leave it at that. FOR ME the "light bulbs" have gone off several times.

To go around calling into question anybody's use of the English (or any) language is petty. At the same time, questioning anybody's mental agility or comprehension is equally unwarranted. However, being human beings, that sort of thing happens all of the time.

Nobody wins in the end.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1390271425' post='8498617']
Seems to me if you keep the right arm connected (Ed Sullivan show drill) thats where the hands want to go. Am I right? Seems like Ben, Sam, Dufner all have the upper right arm against the side of the body.
[/quote]

I agree. Ed Sullivan show is great way to learn the right move. The more the shoulders coil the more the right elbow folds naturally on plane. What kills many of us is when the arms start to move independently of the shoulders and center.

I would also add that you have large margin of error to be on plane. All the way from your toes to the ball. That's the range. If the plane tilts greater than outside the ball you're too flat, if tilts inside your toes you're far too upright.

[quote name='Forged_Irons' timestamp='1390356773' post='8505729']
[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1390343945' post='8504101']
No inside takeaway huh? Which was Pin's original point.
[/quote]

These photos are also not down the target line.
[/quote]

Both play from a closed stance with longer stuff. That is more dtl than you think, especially Snead

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1390358285' post='8505895']
[quote name='Forged_Irons' timestamp='1390356773' post='8505729']
[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1390343945' post='8504101']
No inside takeaway huh? Which was Pin's original point.
[/quote]

These photos are also not down the target line.
[/quote]

Both play from a closed stance with longer stuff. That is more dtl than you think, especially Snead
[/quote]
Clem Derracott, the Atlanta resident who was allowed by Hogan to film his swing at the 1967 masters, was not a professional photographer and you can tell he wasn't directly behind Hogan in these pictures.

It's truly a shame that somewhat intelligent people can not have a civil difference of opinion here anymore. Jim, since you spend a great deal of time in the islands, where's the aloha?

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu