New iGolf Neo Model

Anyone had experience with this yet?
Holy moly this thing looks cool!

Small, lightweight, and functional.

http://www.igolf.com/igolfstore/igolfindivprods/prod29.html

Also, I see it has the Sirf Star III GPS chip, which is supposed to be very good (20 channel).

At this price, I think I could justify a GPS unit AND a laser rangefinder!

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Annual subscription is now $34.99...it used to be $29.99.....but once you download the course and save it to your computer, it's yours. I no longer really need a subscription since I have all the courses I need. You can map courses on your own too. That's what's great about the iGolf compared to Skycaddie...you HAVE to have an annual subscription to use it(the Skycaddie).

I have the IGolf Caddie....the first model....and still use it all the time.

Looking at the online documentation, it appears that the software stores courses you download or map yourself onto your local computer when you back them up. This means that even if you do not have the subscription (expired) you should be able to load up any of the courses previously downloaded to this folder.

I've found the 10-course limit is rather small, and that I have to change courses out frequently. I suppose I could keep the courses folder on my laptop, and load up any course I was playing in the parking lot if need be.

My only real concern is regarding the longevity of the company. I see that iGolf is a part of L1 Technologies, but I don't how big or stable they are. I would hate to own an orphaned GPS unit.

Well, I was thinking about getting something like this, but my boss told me that we are installing gps units on our carts this spring. :). Looks like I just saved a little money.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

• 3 weeks later...

I have the original igolf. I usually stick it in my back pocket if I can't get back to my bag.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

[quote name='stevestrike' post='846593' date='Jan 2 2008, 10:01 PM']Update: I ordered one today. Will post a review when it arrives if anyone's interested. I just couldn't pass up this price point/feature set.[/quote]

Please let us know what you think when you get it. This is one model I have been looking at and haven't heard any reviews on it yet.

I received my iGolf today. I placed the order Jan. 2 in the morning, and got it on the 4th via USPS. I did not have the option to choose the shipping method, but I am very pleased with the quick delivery.

I decided on the Neo for several reasons:
1. Price. This unit wins the price wars by at least $50, and that includes the membership.
2. I think golf GPS units will continue to advance over the next few years, and get much better. I don't mind passing on a $150 GPS like I would a $400 SkyCaddie when it's time to upgrade.
3. Accuracy. The 20-channel receiver should provide a high level of accuracy
4. Function. All I really want to know is "How far is it to the green?" and "How far did I hit that drive?" That's it. I don't need stat tracking, score tracking, or anything else.

Out of the box
The Neo comes with the unit itself (very small!), a mini-USB cable, a power adapter for the USB cable, a belt-clip, a manual, a quick start, and a CD-ROM. The packaging is sparse, but I guess there's not much else needed.

Software
The CD includes USB drivers and a Sync program which you use to load, download, and backup your courses. With the exception of loading courses, the software is a front-end to their website. Installing the drivers and software was painless, and my Neo was recognized in no time. Once in the Sync software you can choose from Sync Courses, Download Courses, Save Courses, Create/Edit, & Settings. These options are fairly self-explanatory. One odd thing is that you have to power on the GPS and put it into "sync" mode in order to transfer courses to or from it. I thought this was strange, but it's not hard to do.

Hardware
The Neo unit itself is made of a hard, molded plastic, with a small LCD screen. There is a small rubber cover over the USB port, which I figure will last about a week. There are six small rubber buttons on the bottom front of the unit that you use to control all the features. The buttons have a nice 'click' to them, so there is tactile feedback, which I like better than the 'soft' rubber buttons on many other devices. After turning the unit on, it goes from no satellite signal, to 'strong' signal in about [s]10 seconds[/s] 5 minutes. It's super-fast compared to the SureShot GPS I had been using. There are the usual menu options, play golf, edit course, delete course, settings, etc... Nothing really exiting here. The ShureShot will show you your coordinates and even calculate the speed you are moving, which was neat. No such tricks on the Neo. Even the satellite signal page is underwhelming, but as long as it picks them up, I'm OK with that. Clicking the power button turns on a nice green backlight. Very nice. This is something I'll need for those late-evening rounds.

The instruction manual leaves a lot to be desired, specifically in the "how to map your own course" arena. Luckily, the unit is intuitive enough to figure out on your own, and I was able to walk through it without needing instruction. Still, others might not be so apt to get it, and would need some help. My father-in-law comes to mind.

After loading in a few courses, you can then choose to play golf. The unit tracks F/B/C green, and 4 additional points, such as bunkers, hazzards, layups, etc.. The courses I downloaded have some of these points already mapped, and you can edit the downloaded courses to add/change your own points.

Downloaded courses come as files that you store on your computer, so they are yours forever. That's good, because you only get 100 downloads with the $34.99 yearly membership! I thought this was a bit ridiculous myself, and don't plan on renewing my membership next year. 100 courses should suite me just fine. And you can, of course, map your own courses to use for free.

I noticed that it tops out at 9999 yards, and does not go any higher. The SureShot GPS kicked into miles at that point, and would actually give me a reading to the green, even if it was several miles away.

The Good:
Smallest, lightest, & cheapest GPS available ($149?!?!?!)
20-channel GPS chipset (vs. 12 or 16)
Courses are stored on your hard drive
Backlit LCD
Syncs and charges with standard mini-USB cables (charges from your computer too!)
Shot measurement function
Large course library to download from
Downloaded courses are user-editable

The Bad:
Only holds 10 courses, I regularly play about 20
Smaller screen can be harder to read (compared with the color screen on the $400 SureShot)
Only goes up to 9999 yards--what about those really LONG par 5's?
Rechargeable internal battery, I'd prefer AAA's
Only 4 custom points per hole, probably enough but I'd like to have a few more
Only 100 downloads per year with membership, additional DL are currently 25 for $10

The Ugly:
$35/year for a membership? Really? I will not be renewing this one.

I plan on using it tomorrow on the course, and I'll update with more details on using the GPS on the course.

[attachment=203469:neo1.jpg]
[attachment=203470:neo2.jpg]

Neo on the course
I got a chance to take the Neo out for a round today. Unfortunately, several small things really stacked up against my having a good day with it, not the least of which was some rain on the third, fourth, and fifth holes. However, after a few very wet holes, and waiting out the worst of it under some trees we were on our way to a full, and relatively dry day of golf.

While I can’t pin the bad weather on the Neo, I did discover some of its drawbacks today. First and foremost was the belt clip. It does not hold the Neo firm enough to prevent it from falling out! While raking a bunker today (in the rain no less) the Neo slipped out and fell right into the wet sand. Ugh. I had noticed that the holster does not have a very good grip on the unit, and it did not take long to prove to be and entirely inadequate way of carrying the Neo around the course. But it gets worse. On the next hole, the belt clip actually broke and the thin, cheap plastic excuse for a holster snapped in two. I couldn't believe it. This thing didn’t even last five holes. Now, I'm not particularly hard on my stuff. I like my things to last, and I take good care of them. I imagine that there may be sever hundred (thousand?) broken Neo belt holsters filling up land fills very soon. The engineer who produced this design should be flogged, and then beaten.

The second problem I had was with the course file I downloaded. The course must have gotten corrupted during the transfer from my PC, because I could not read any of the four custom points on the map. All that displayed was garbage (see pic). While the distances to F/B/C were OK, layup points, hazards, etc… were all useless today. Surprisingly, I didn't miss them all that much, which makes me think that four will be enough for most holes. When I got home this afternoon, I reloaded the course, and checked it. Sure enough, the custom points were back, and this time I could read them. So it was a fluke, and not a real negative, but it wasn't a good way to start the relationship. Between that, and the broken clip, I couldn't help feeling like I had made a mistake.

Since the company offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, I shrugged it off and tried to enjoy my round. After all, I could still mark those [s]300[/s] [s]275[/s] [s]255[/s] 235 yard drives, right? And I still had my distances to the greens, which was what I was aiming for. On several of the greens, I checked the accuracy. It ranged from perfect (showing 0 yards to the front while standing on it) to just OK (7 yards off while standing at the very back). I suppose where the back was measured from makes a difference too, do you measure from how the green runs from the fairway, or to the absolute deepest part of the green? I suppose that's up to the mapper.

The Neo did help me where I wanted it the most—judging distances. Not once were we stumbling around like J-holes looking for yardage markers. On one par 3 that was marked 148, I could see that the pin was closer to the front than center (no pin sheets). The Neo gave me a reading of 126 to the front, so I played my ~140 club instead of my ~155. It was just right. 150 (like the course marking) would have been too far past. Seeing the 126 on the Neo gave me the confidence to take a bit less club, and play more aggressively. I'm sure the laser guys do better on the par 3's, but I wanted something that works without line of sight. Besides, lasers cannot penetrate the deep brush and trees that I often find myself in. No, a sky-bound satellite signal is my only hope in the dense ball-grabbing trees.

So what's the verdict? When I look at the overall picture, my negative impression was really due to some fairly minor things. Rain, broken belt clip, and a corrupted course download all combined to give me a bad feeling about the Neo. I could contact iGolf and complain about the belt holster, but all they can do is send me another one, which will be the same piece of junk. But I did not buy the Neo for a belt clip. I've already re-sync'd the course file and it's fine. And the rain has cleared up. So what am I left with? I pretty nice GPS that I picked up for $150.

I figure I'll have to fashion some type of belt holster myself out of leather, or maybe find one for a cell phone that will fit it. iGolf could have really made this a nice package by including a sturdy, thicker, more durable holster here. Especially since this is the smallest GPS on the market! You WANT to wear this one on your belt. It belongs there. But as it stands, I can't complain too loudly.

The Good
Distances were spot on
Satellite reception was strong all day, even in cloudy rainy weather

The Bad
Corrupted file download can spoil a round (I will be checking it before I leave next time)
Battery life indicator seems inaccurate. Mine still says 95% after being on for five hours today

The Ugly
Cheap plastic belt holster is useless, and doesn't provide a safe place to keep the Neo

EDIT to reflect the fix of the corrupted course problem.

I think you may have gotten a bad file from the looks of it. I have the original Igolf unit and love it i have about 30 courses on it and at least 15 of them i have all 8 custom points per hole saved. I went and purchased rechargeable batteries from walmart for $12.00 but carry a regular Alkaline as back ups. I think igolf is a solid company and should be around a long time.

mcca

Besides price, one thing that steered me towards the Neo was the backlight, which the Guru does not have. We play a lot of night golf in the summer, and that will be important.

However, I'm not 100% convinced at this point that the Guru is not a better unit. Since they also have a 30-day guarantee, I may try both!

[quote name='stevestrike' post='851017' date='Jan 5 2008, 11:04 PM']Besides price, one thing that steered me towards the Neo was the backlight, which the Guru does not have. We play a lot of night golf in the summer, and that will be important.

However, I'm not 100% convinced at this point that the Guru is not a better unit. Since they also have a 30-day guarantee, I may try both![/quote]

I am basically torn between the two units. I have had three e-mails answered already from GPS Golf Guru today answer questions I had about their product.

My main concerns with it are:

1. Not that many courses mapped in my area.
2. Doesn't come across to me as it will be around for a while.
3. Unit looks cheaper than models from other companies.

While I have my own concerns about iGolf:

1. How well the unit will hold a signal.
2. How well it will hold up.
3. Does it have enough features for what I want.

I really just can't decide.

Anybody heard anything about the SG 2.5 from SkyCaddie? I saw it last night and was curious. Looks like a smaller version of the SG2 at $250, but SkyCaddie's website doesn't mention it at all. Anyone got advance word? This Neo looks pretty sweet, but it's not Mac compatible.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

From what I was told, the SG2.5 is going to come in at the 250$ price point. It is going to have a smaller B&W LCD screen.

They should be out in stores in about 2 weeks, at least that was the word Friday from my local guy who was on the phone with skygolf at the time. It was actually kind of funny because we were having the discussion about the SG2 being discontinued when skygolf called so we were able to find out about it.

Weird how they do not have any info on their website yet though.

Rick

Somebody has the SG 2.5 on Ebay already. $250 is pretty steep, no?

[attachment=204346:22de_12.JPG]

PXG 0211 Driver  Tensei 1K Pro White X-stiff

PXG 0311 GEN5   3 Wood 1K Pro White X-stiff

PXG 0311 XF 22* hybrid Tensei AV Raw White 75 XStiff

Srixon Z585 6 thru P KBS C-taper S+

Three Luck Sky Dream Jump Limited Forged 115  48*  True Temper Dynamic Tour Issue Onyx

Three Luck Sky Dream Jump Limited Forged 115  52*  True Temper Dynamic Tour Issue Onyx

Kyoei KK RRC 56* wedge True Temper Dynamic Tour Issue Onyx

Vega VW-06 brushed 60* FST KBS Tour 105

Piretti Elite Black Cortino  KBS CT Tour Putter shaft  

Missing Course Data Problem--Fixed

EDIT: What I thought was a bug, is actually by design. Mike at iGolf told me today that the Neo ignores the course data (Hole length, par, & handicap) because it does not track your score like their other GPS products that use the same course files. So when loading a course into the file editor after using it on the Neo, the data will be "missing", but that is only because the Neo can't use it, and doesn't require it. The custom points you created are all still there. I'm relieved to know this one is fixed. Case closed.

Weird bug. Does anyone know if the other iGolf units suffer from this bug too? Seriously considering the Neo if something like this can be patched.

PXG 0211 Driver  Tensei 1K Pro White X-stiff

PXG 0311 GEN5   3 Wood 1K Pro White X-stiff

PXG 0311 XF 22* hybrid Tensei AV Raw White 75 XStiff

Srixon Z585 6 thru P KBS C-taper S+

Three Luck Sky Dream Jump Limited Forged 115  48*  True Temper Dynamic Tour Issue Onyx

Three Luck Sky Dream Jump Limited Forged 115  52*  True Temper Dynamic Tour Issue Onyx

Kyoei KK RRC 56* wedge True Temper Dynamic Tour Issue Onyx

Vega VW-06 brushed 60* FST KBS Tour 105

Piretti Elite Black Cortino  KBS CT Tour Putter shaft  

I've the iGolf GPS Caddie II (bought just before the NEO was announced). Very happy with the unit-never lost signal, accurate yardages (verified against 2 other SkyCaddie units and a Garmin), good battery life and easy programming of user defined features. I've also never had a "freeze" problem, unlike my SkyCaddie buddies-that's a problem that really would bother me.

Don't understand the problem some have with the 10 course memory limit-how many courses are you going to play before you can get back to a laptop or desktop where you've stored other courses you've downloaded (and which, BTW, belong to you even after your subscription lapses).

Requested a local course mapping-customer service came back right away and said that they couldn't get to the course immediately but would be happy to compensate me for mapping the course when I played it. Seemed like a reasonable exchange.

I might have considered the Golf Guru unit had I found it (like the scorecard and club tracking features) but I do think the unit looks a bit less well built than the GPS Caddie.

My 2 cents worth. ;)

More problems. It looks like the corrupt course data is happening AFTER the data is loaded onto the Neo. I loaded up some courses, and check them to make sure they were good. Then, I powered on the unit when I was ready to play, and I noticed a checksum error during the power-on screen. I went in to "play golf" and chose the same course I had just verified to be good, and it had the same corrupt entries for the custom points. Not good. I am contacting iGolf support about this right now. Two strikes. One more, and I will be a Guru owner!

I know problems happen, but your problems are leaning me mroe towards the Guru that the Neo.

One thing I have noticed is that I e-mailed iGolf on Friday morning with questions about the Neo and I have still not heard anything back from them. I e-mailed the GPS Golf Guru group on Saturday, nonetheless, and got a response back that same day (within a few minutes) and have an in-depth conversation with them on their product. Right now, the Guru seems to be heads and tails above the iGolf group and the Neo.

[quote name='mcbush25' post='852877' date='Jan 7 2008, 01:30 PM']I know problems happen, but your problems are leaning me mroe towards the Guru that the Neo.

One thing I have noticed is that I e-mailed iGolf on Friday morning with questions about the Neo and I have still not heard anything back from them. I e-mailed the GPS Golf Guru group on Saturday, nonetheless, and got a response back that same day (within a few minutes) and have an in-depth conversation with them on their product. Right now, the Guru seems to be heads and tails above the iGolf group and the Neo.[/quote]
Yeah, I feel the same way as you. My big concern with the Guru is if they will even be around in another couple of years. I mean, they are a small company, I'm sure the startup costs are huge, and they are giving away free subscriptions. How many of those $200 boxes are they really going to sell while competing with SkyGolf, Garmin, Sonnocaddie, iGolf, GulfBuddy, & the SureShot? Some of those players have deep pockets, and/or big-name endorsements. The Guru reminds me of the Commodore Amiga--superior to it's competition in every way, yet doomed to obsolescence through obscurity. Whatever advantages the Guru currently has, the other OEM's will pick up on them and integrate those features soon. If your GPS company goes out of business, then what do you have? (PS-I hope this is not true for the Guru company, just an observation!)

With the Neo, the product does work pretty well, it's cheap, and the courses are stored on your computer so you can use them forever, even if you cannot download new ones. Personally, I think the golf GPS market will be MUCH cooler in about 2-3 years, so I'm buying the Neo as more of a 'disposable' item. Think about it, what piece of electronic gear do you own that the "best" version of it came out 3 years ago? Look at cell phones as an example of what I mean by this. My cell phone gets my email, plays music, can browse the web, and takes pictures and cost about $100. Compare this to the best cell phone you could buy a few years ago.

An update on the corrupted course problem:

I recieved an email response that basically stated, "reset your unit back to factory defaults" Well, yeah I can do that but I will lose all my courses, and have to re-sync.

I emailed him back and told him that that was not a solution to my problem. We'll see what happens next.

Then I did what the guy said, and restored my Neo to factory defaults. Then I loaded some courses back into it. They were fine. Then I turned the unit off and on about four times. After that, one of the courses was corrupt again. This was very easy to replicate, so I hope that their support can figure it out. I guess you have to reset the unit every other time you use it? The SG2.5 is looking mighty fine right about now.