Mikey Town's WITB - New Wedges

[quote name='Gava' timestamp='1389861617' post='8470029']
Mikey - thanks for posting these pics up. Your enthusiasm is infectious.

My compliments on the cleanest, most well presented set (and pics to match) on WRX IMHO.

I followed your 612 thread with great interest and have subsequently ordered a custom Byron DH89 myself.

Will post up pics in the Byron Morgan library when it gets here (in a few weeks??).

Cheers, Gav
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words, Gava... and enjoy your 89!

I'll reply to your post on puttertalk shortly. :)

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

already commented, but it deserves another
I love this WITB
good pics make a thread much more interesting

my wife is an amateur photographer and i try to steal her camera when I can to play around with
again, love love love this WITB and the pics - well done

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='billalburger' timestamp='1389908765' post='8473383']
Where did you buy that 4 iron? I am looking for the same model. Having a hard time finding just the single 4 iron. Thanks.
[/quote]

From the good ol' GolfWRX BST.

If you can't find one, I'd suggest making a post in the "Wanted to Buy" section. Someone may have just what you are looking for.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I think it's safe to say you have some of the best quality pics of your WITB out of everyone. You, Pure745 and Strattons's are as good as it gets. Great job.

Titleist 917D2 10.5˚ - GD Tour AD TP-6
Titleist 915F 15˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70
Titleist 915F 18˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70
Titleist 816H1 21˚ - GD Tour AD HY 85
Nike VRS Forged 5-PW - Project X PXi
Vokey SM6 Raw 50F, 55S, 60V
Scotty Cameron 009 SSS

Thanks for the kind words, pr1mo990.

Putting me in the same conversation with those two puts me in VERY select company. I really do appreciate it.

I really do enjoy making these (and quite a few other) photos. I'm just glad that you guys like them as much as I do.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

Holy :censored2: !!!! It came out amazing!! Byron is the man! Great decisions on everything, shape, alignment, stamping, it all looks so good. :drinks:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

both your Byrons are freaking incredible man, wow
great work

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1390869651' post='8546735']
Holy :censored2: !!!! It came out amazing!! Byron is the man! Great decisions on everything, shape, alignment, stamping, it all looks so good. :drinks:
[/quote]

Thanks Tai... and thanks for the last minute input on design before I put in the order. I tried to think of everything to stay away from the dots in the cavity, but it really was the right way to go.

Byron ended up using different sizes for these dots, too. The large and middle-sized dots are bigger than in the design on my 612. I wasn't expecting that and I really like how it turned out.

[quote name='enis750' timestamp='1390875395' post='8547519']
both your Byrons are freaking incredible man, wow
great work
[/quote]

Thanks enis... much appreciated!

[quote name='pr123' timestamp='1390876053' post='8547627']
How do you like the steel fiber in the h4? And on a somewhat unrelated note, do you have any issues hitting the h4s off the deck. May seem like a silly question but I love my 21* of a tee but the turf interaction leaves something to be desired
[/quote]

I am LOVING the SteelFibers in the H4s. Great launch, easy to control and they are smooth, smooth, smooth.

As for hitting them off the deck, I don't have any problems... I'm a sweeper, though, so turf interaction doesn't come into play much with my long irons. I mainly went with this combo because my miss is thin and I wanted long irons that would allow me to get away with that now and again. These fit the bill and are doing the job wonderfully. My scoring average on longer par-3s (over 180 yards) has improved dramatically.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

nice bag and clubs, best photos ever!

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

Nice setup and great pics. You can tell you have good taste and went for top performance in every category.

How do you like those FW's?

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1391346325' post='8582806']
Nice setup and great pics. You can tell you have good taste and went for top performance in every category.

How do you like those FW's?
[/quote]

The FWs are fantastic. They look great, launch easily, fly nice and high, hold greens and they are HOT!!!

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

Well... the woods now have an evening appointment with my club fitter/builder two days from now.

Here is what's on the "to do" list:

[b]5 Wood[/b]
I picked it up on the BST and put it straight in the bag without any adjustments. It's been good, but it's going in for the "piece of mind" adjustments (i.e. CPM and spine align shaft, swing weight match, new grip, etc...). It just needs a bit of love that it hasn't been given yet.

[b]3 Wood[/b]
The Fubuki Tour 73 Stiff feels just a bit loose. I have the X-Stiff version of this shaft in the 5 Wood and really like the added stability. That said, I do like the ball flight I'm getting out of the 3 Wood with the Stiff shaft, so I'm a bit leery of changing that. To try to find a happy compromise, the current Stiff will be tipped an inch. From what my fitter/builder said, the shaft already CPMs close to the Stiff+ range, so the tipping should give me the extra stability that I'm looking for, while retaining many of the launch and ball flight characteristics that I like.

[b]Driver[/b]
Lately, I've had the desire to flatten my ball flight a bit. I usually play on fairways that are pretty firm, so I'd like to take advantage of that. It would be nice to more easily hit drives through the wind, as well. I recently went through a full SLDR fitting to see if I could accomplish this with a new club... to no avail. The SLDR was good, but I was getting better ball speed numbers, and better dispersion, out of my Amp Cell Pro. After I was re-sold on my current head, I look to the shaft. I called my fitter/builder and he said that he had just the thing for me. The Kuro Kage is coming out, and the big stick is getting a new engine. [i]Enter: Fubuki Alpha 63 X.[/i] I'm really looking forward to seeing what changes this shaft will make to my ball flight. Profile wise, it should fit the bill... we shall see.

I'll update with impressions after I can get a couple range sessions under my belt with the new additions and changes.

Cheers,

Mike

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

• 2 weeks later...

Mikey, just wondering how that finish is holding up. I thought you mentioned that over time it may change slightly?

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.2X

Fairway Wood: Titleist TSi3 15° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.2X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 20° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X

Irons: Titleist T150 4-PW | KBS Tour V 110s 

Wedge: Vokey SM9 Raw Finish 48.10F, 54.10S, & 60.10V | Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

[quote name='FSUbulldog' timestamp='1392910576' post='8708619']
Mikey, just wondering how that finish is holding up. I thought you mentioned that over time it may change slightly?
[/quote]

U a PGMer?

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

[quote name='FSUbulldog' timestamp='1392910576' post='8708619']
[/quote]

The finish is holding up very nicely. I'm getting a few reddish hues popping up here and there (almost in a patina-like fashion) and it's looking really cool, but the blues and purples don't seem to be going anywhere.

I am VERY happy with the 89 and it is firmly in the bag.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

[quote name='Mikey Town' timestamp='1391539967' post='8597489']
Well... the woods now have an evening appointment with my club fitter/builder two days from now.

Here is what's on the "to do" list:

[b]5 Wood[/b]
I picked it up on the BST and put it straight in the bag without any adjustments. It's been good, but it's going in for the "piece of mind" adjustments (i.e. CPM and spine align shaft, swing weight match, new grip, etc...). It just needs a bit of love that it hasn't been given yet.

[b]3 Wood[/b]
The Fubuki Tour 73 Stiff feels just a bit loose. I have the X-Stiff version of this shaft in the 5 Wood and really like the added stability. That said, I do like the ball flight I'm getting out of the 3 Wood with the Stiff shaft, so I'm a bit leery of changing that. To try to find a happy compromise, the current Stiff will be tipped an inch. From what my fitter/builder said, the shaft already CPMs close to the Stiff+ range, so the tipping should give me the extra stability that I'm looking for, while retaining many of the launch and ball flight characteristics that I like.

[b]Driver[/b]
Lately, I've had the desire to flatten my ball flight a bit. I usually play on fairways that are pretty firm, so I'd like to take advantage of that. It would be nice to more easily hit drives through the wind, as well. I recently went through a full SLDR fitting to see if I could accomplish this with a new club... to no avail. The SLDR was good, but I was getting better ball speed numbers, and better dispersion, out of my Amp Cell Pro. After I was re-sold on my current head, I look to the shaft. I called my fitter/builder and he said that he had just the thing for me. The Kuro Kage is coming out, and the big stick is getting a new engine. [i]Enter: Fubuki Alpha 63 X.[/i] I'm really looking forward to seeing what changes this shaft will make to my ball flight. Profile wise, it should fit the bill... we shall see.

I'll update with impressions after I can get a couple range sessions under my belt with the new additions and changes.

Cheers,

Mike
[/quote]

Just a quick follow up from the above post...

The 5 Wood is point-and-shoot, for the most part. I'm very happy with how this club turned out.

We decided not to tip the 3 Wood. After putting the new shaft in the Driver, and getting fresh CPM readings on all 3 clubs, the 3 Wood shaft turned out to be a perfect flex as it was, as it fit in the progression from 5 Wood to Driver very nicely.

The Driver... Fubuki Alpha 63 X... Ummmmmmmmmmm... WOW! Now I know what a shaft is supposed to feel like.

I have demo'd many a shaft in my day, most of which tend to disappear when I start to swing the club... I don't know what it is. I just don't [i]feel[/i] the shaft. I can feel the club as a whole. I can feel the club head. When it comes to the shaft, the only time I've been able to feel one was when it felt bad (too light, too heavy, too whippy, too stiff, etc...). The one exception to this was the first time I demo'd the Motore F1. It felt smooth. I could feel it load. I felt it working for me. I just felt "right."

After some quality range time and a few rounds with the Fubuki Alpha, I can say that this shaft feels more "right" than I ever imagined a shaft could feel. I get all the sensations that the Motore F1 gave me, only it's better... in every way. Plus, it's giving me the ball flight that I was looking for. Very similar launch, maybe a bit lower, and a ball flight that flattens out, goes forward and gives me a bit more run-out than I was getting before.

This shaft is definitely a winner for me and I'm glad I made the change. I'll be updating the WITB with the new driver shaft and a new shaft photo soon.

Cheers,

Mike

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1395288076' post='8909173']
Wow mike not sure how I missed your WITB. Some fine stuff you have there. I can also appreciate the pics.

Wait, why steelfibers in just the 2-4irons?
[/quote]

When I went to my club fitter/builder I told him that I really wanted to have long irons that catered to my miss (thin). After all, good shots will be good, regardless of what club you hit them with.

I told him that I wanted two long irons that would fly 195 and 210, I wanted them to launch the ball easily, I wanted them to have a high ball flight and I wanted them to forgive my thin miss as much as possible.

We ended up settling on the H4s because it's a very forgiving, hot, high launching head that was giving me better control than other hybrid options. Plus, the low offset made it so that there wasn't a huge adjustment between those and the 69s. We went with the steelfibers to again, aid in launch... when compared to the KBS Tour, not only were they giving me more height, they also felt easier to load which made me feel like I didn't have to work as hard to get my desired ball flight. The extra height wasn't something that I needed (or wanted) in my short and mid irons, so the KBS Tours stayed in the 69s.

Strangely enough, I ended up with a 4 iron and a 2 iron (with some tweaked lofts) to fill the yardage gaps I wanted to fill. The bag looks funny, going from 2, to 4, to 6 iron, with nothing in between, but I don't care as long as they go the distance I want them to.

In the end, the long iron experiment turned out to be a very good thing... and it taught me a valuable lesson. Never again will I have someone build a set of clubs for me. A "set" is far too general. From now on, I will have someone build me a bag full of individual clubs, that all have performance [color=#222222]characteristics[/color] maximized for the purpose that each particular club serves. Sure, you will end up with sub-sets of clubs that are very similar (i.e. wedges, short irons, mid irons, long irons, fairway woods, etc...), but I don't see myself playing anything other than a combo set ever again.

I know there are some that prefer their 3 iron to have a similar head design as their 9 iron... but that person isn't me. I just don't have a chance to play and/or practice enough to strike those butter knife long irons consistently.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

Great WITB. Pics and presentation as good as it gets.

Funny, I was looking through your set-up and wondered about the 2, 4, 6 iron progression then read the rest of the thread and got the answer to my questions in your last post. I've thought about doing something similar myself to achieve a 3 wood/ 3 wedge set-up. Good on you for finding what works for you and putting together.

• 3 weeks later...

[b]Update - 4/7/14[/b]

I shipped the MP-69s and MP-H4s to The Iron Factory this weekend. They will be refinished in their "Tour Chrome Satin." Before boxing up the H4s, I took the stickers out of the cavities and requested that they be refinished just like any other forged Mizuno cavity (think MP-64).

I'm really looking forward to seeing how these turn out. When I bought the irons from the BST they had about a dozen rounds on them. Recently, I've been getting the itch for new clubs, but I like these way too much. The happy compromise was to go with a refinish... same great irons... and now I'll get to have them as brand new, with a nice brushed chrome finish.

I'll update with photos as soon as they get back from their makeover.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

[quote name='Mikey Town' timestamp='1396906422' post='9040971']
[b]Update - 4/7/14[/b]

I shipped the MP-69s and MP-H4s to The Iron Factory this weekend. They will be refinished in their "Tour Chrome Satin." Before boxing up the H4s, I took the stickers out of the cavities and requested that they be refinished just like any other forged Mizuno cavity (think MP-64).

I'm really looking forward to seeing how these turn out. When I bought the irons from the BST they had about a dozen rounds on them. Recently, I've been getting the itch for new clubs, but I like these way too much. The happy compromise was to go with a refinish... same great irons... and now I'll get to have them as brand new, with a nice brushed chrome finish.

I'll update with photos as soon as they get back from their makeover.
[/quote]

congrats mike. i'm looking forward to seeing the finished product as well.