2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Game Golf tracking system (merged)

[quote name='skyking' timestamp='1390876470' post='8547687']
Shoot...I should've gone back in the show on Friday and got one. Didn't think of that. Of course I probably didn't go back because the wife told me Dooney and Bourke was selling everything for 50% off on Friday so they didnt have to ship it back!
[/quote]
I was going to hold off and order one from their web page but when I heard it was going to be 4-6 weeks I didn't want to wait that long. They literally ran out of order forms the booth was so popular. Glad I was able to snag one and avoid the wait.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Gatormanager3' timestamp='1390876631' post='8547707']
Here's the link to my page. You should be able to click my round and view the satellite overlay. I know I'm bad so keep those comments to yourselves, gents :lol:

[url="http://gamegolf.com/player/timdarby/"]http://gamegolf.com/player/timdarby/[/url]

One issue I'm waiting to get resolved is the course I play on has 3 9 hole courses. When I made the turn, the GPS did not identify that I was continuing my round so got a bit squirly and didn't track the back 9. I believe the solution is to power off the device and back on so it detects the new course but I'm still waiting to hear from customer support on that one. Could also be pretty easy for them to map the 3 9's and create the 3 combinations of 18 holes that could be played.
[/quote]
Looks very interesting but what is it with the long putt on the first hole?

The distances for the clubs are very nice but it would be good if you could a) delete some shots from the average (e.g. your first drive) and b) categorize them and each category has its own stats. E.g. SW 9 o'clock shot, SW full shot etc.

How easy was it to use? Did it get in your way in any way?

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1390906941' post='8549285']
@Gatormanager3 you are either a really bad putter or the accuracy on the green of the device isn't too good ;-)
The putts on hole 7 just don't seem right! They are going in a Zick-Zack course (or was that across a big slope?).
[/quote]

Zig-zag

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1390904229' post='8549237']
Here's the link to my page. You should be able to click my round and view the satellite overlay. I know I'm bad so keep those comments to yourselves, gents :lol:

[url="http://gamegolf.com/player/timdarby/"]http://gamegolf.com/player/timdarby/[/url]

One issue I'm waiting to get resolved is the course I play on has 3 9 hole courses. When I made the turn, the GPS did not identify that I was continuing my round so got a bit squirly and didn't track the back 9. I believe the solution is to power off the device and back on so it detects the new course but I'm still waiting to hear from customer support on that one. Could also be pretty easy for them to map the 3 9's and create the 3 combinations of 18 holes that could be played.
[/quote]

The distances for the clubs are very nice but it would be good if you could a) delete some shots from the average (e.g. your first drive) and b) categorize them and each category has its own stats. E.g. SW 9 o'clock shot, SW full shot etc.

[/quote]
Not sure what happened on the first hole. I may have forgotten to tag and then tagged prior to hitting my tee shot on the next hole or it was just a gps error. It was very easy to use and did not get in my way at all. By the time I made the turn remembering to tag wasn't an issue at all. Some people have mentioned working it into their pre-shot routine but I have not done that yet. For a tee shot I will tag it right after I tee the ball up, for other shots I'll tag right before I start my routine, putts I'll tag right as I mark my ball so I can then go and read the green and not have to think about it.
@Gatormanager3 you are either a really bad putter or the accuracy on the green of the device isn't too good ;-)
The putts on hole 7 just don't seem right! They are going in a Zick-Zack course (or was that across a big slope?).
[/quote]
Putt distances and pin locations are still being worked on from what I'm reading. During my "edit round" I can move the locations of the shots to better reflect where the pin was and move putts to where they were if something is a bit off. On 7 it was just a problem of me not moving the pin during edit round before I signed/saved the card. I had about 12 feet for birdie and then tapped it in.

[quote name='Gatormanager3' timestamp='1390923472' post='8550367']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Not sure what happened on the first hole. I may have forgotten to tag and then tagged prior to hitting my tee shot on the next hole or it was just a gps error. It was very easy to use and did not get in my way at all. By the time I made the turn remembering to tag wasn't an issue at all. Some people have mentioned working it into their pre-shot routine but I have not done that yet. For a tee shot I will tag it right after I tee the ball up, for other shots I'll tag right before I start my routine, putts I'll tag right as I mark my ball so I can then go and read the green and not have to think about it.
[/quote]
Putt distances and pin locations are still being worked on from what I'm reading. During my "edit round" I can move the locations of the shots to better reflect where the pin was and move putts to where they were if something is a bit off. On 7 it was just a problem of me not moving the pin during edit round before I signed/saved the card. I had about 12 feet for birdie and then tapped it in.
[/quote]

Probably thought you tagged it but missed the device.

[quote name='Frankensteins Monster' timestamp='1390929444' post='8551103']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I don't recall what happened but that may be it. Every time you "tag" a club, the device worn on your belt vibrates twice and beeps to confirm the tag so that's nice feedback to know it was recorded.

[quote name='skyking' timestamp='1390929967' post='8551175']
Thanks Gatormanager3. I downloaded the app, "followed" you and checked out your round. App worked well and I'll go back and check out the details later. That was very helpful in seeing a real world use of the system.
[/quote]
Ahh, was wondering who the new follower was. It is nice to see a real world use. I plan to play again Sunday. Since you follow me now, it should notify you when the round is posted.

[quote name='Gatormanager3' timestamp='1390929703' post='8551149']
[quote name='Frankensteins Monster' timestamp='1390929444' post='8551103']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I don't recall what happened but that may be it. Every time you "tag" a club, the device worn on your belt vibrates twice and beeps to confirm the tag so that's nice feedback to know it was recorded.
[/quote]Did this only happen once? Did the tapping interfere with your pre-swing routine at all?

Only happened once. I think I forgot to tag my putter and then tagged it when I walked off of the green to the cart. I could have adjusted it's position on the computer after my round but didn't do it. I'm still learning the system as well. The rest of the tags are pretty close. Tapping did not interfere with my pre-swing routine at all. I would just tag it as soon as I picked my next club and then went through my typical routine.

The greens is the one spot where you have to sometimes adjust the hole location. During testing we talked about maybe somehow tapping the device to indicate where the hole actually was, but I'm not sure where else it would go. Deleting shots is as easy as selecting the option when editing the round; just as easy to add shots.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

[quote name='Gatormanager3' timestamp='1390951172' post='8553789']
Right. I think I can even move the hole around to a general location when I edit a round as well. I didn't try and then "signed" the round which then removed the ability to try. I'll definitely tinker with it after my next round.
[/quote]

You definitely can before you sign for the round. Sometimes the putts would get too zigzag so moving the flag to a general location then adjusting the putts to the approximate spots works pretty good. Not ideal, but you can still get it to where you identify short/long/medium putts. It's great for showing how well your lag putting is.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

I'm anxious to hear back from customer support about what to do with my course that has 3 9's. Plan to play there again on Sunday and would like to know a true solution. Pretty sure I just have to turn the device off and then back on but I'd really like it to post an 18 hole scorecard instead of just 2 9's.

Thanks Gatormanager3 for making your rounds available for us to see. I hope they make more stats available, e.g. distance to pin after approach (they would need to know where the pin is though (they should have a 'special chip' for the hole location. When you tap it with that it indicates the hole location). Percentage of approach shots missed left/right/short/long.

How do you actually signal that you holed out? If you just tap when you put and then just move to the next hole it can figure out that you holed out but it can't figure out where the pin is (so it can't calculate stats on your putts (missed left/right, percentage holed from 5 feet, 10 feet etc).

I think I understand the ZigZag on the green now. There is a 'pre-set' pin position that is in the centre of the green. So if you don't change that after the round your second (or last putt) will always look strange as it goes to the middle of the green.

I think that is something they need to fix, there needs to be an easy way of setting the pin position during the round.

But I think they are missing the sweet spot with their pricing. $250 is about $100 more than an entry golf GPS device. The device itself doesn't have a display (which would make it more expensive) and the RFID chips hardly cost anything. And then I've read that they are thinking of a yearly subscription of $50 for advanced stats. I think for what it offers right now it is overpriced.

I was thinking $199 when it was introduced at the show last week. I don't know what they were selling it for on pre-orders at the show but I'm hoping the golf retail store I work for will be selling them so I can pay a little over wholesale which should be close to what I think is a good retail price...who knows, we'll see.

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1390987767' post='8556611']
Thanks Gatormanager3 for making your rounds available for us to see. I hope they make more stats available, e.g. distance to pin after approach (they would need to know where the pin is though (they should have a 'special chip' for the hole location. When you tap it with that it indicates the hole location). Percentage of approach shots missed left/right/short/long.

How do you actually signal that you holed out? If you just tap when you put and then just move to the next hole it can figure out that you holed out but it can't figure out where the pin is (so it can't calculate stats on your putts (missed left/right, percentage holed from 5 feet, 10 feet etc).
[/quote]
No problem. You can also visit their user forums and ask for other stats to be added etc so you may want to give your feedback there as a prospective purchaser.

The signal that I have holed out is when I tag the next club after my putter. So say I make a putt on #1. After I get to #2 tee I tag my driver so it knows that I am on to the next hole and that the last tag was made. Allows it to count the shots on the previous hole and how many putts etc. Like you said though, only problem is you can't track putt distances or hole locations. Like you said, there's got to be a way to figure it out. One idea could be to tag your putter after you make your final putt standing right next to the hole, then when you edit your round you can move the hole to the last tag and then delete the extra shot. Too much work though :-)

[quote name='Gatormanager3' timestamp='1391005483' post='8557261']

[/quote]
No problem. You can also visit their user forums and ask for other stats to be added etc so you may want to give your feedback there as a prospective purchaser.

The signal that I have holed out is when I tag the next club after my putter. So say I make a putt on #1. After I get to #2 tee I tag my driver so it knows that I am on to the next hole and that the last tag was made. Allows it to count the shots on the previous hole and how many putts etc. Like you said though, only problem is you can't track putt distances or hole locations. Like you said, there's got to be a way to figure it out. One idea could be to tag your putter after you make your final putt standing right next to the hole, then when you edit your round you can move the hole to the last tag and then delete the extra shot. Too much work though :-)
[/quote]

That would be something that they could do automatically though. The final tag is the hole and not a shot. They know which is the final tag because next you tag your club on the next tee. I would think that was easy at their end and you wouldn't have to move the hole or delete the shot.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

[quote name='Ty_Webb' timestamp='1391006140' post='8557317']
[quote name='Gatormanager3' timestamp='1391005483' post='8557261']

[/quote]

[/quote]

That would be something that they could do automatically though. The final tag is the hole and not a shot. They know which is the final tag because next you tag your club on the next tee. I would think that was easy at their end and you wouldn't have to move the hole or delete the shot.
[/quote]
Right. That's a good idea and it wouldn't take any extra work from the user because if you make a putt or chip you've got to go to the hole to get it anyway.

Highly disappointed that there is no Android app yet. I combed the website and didn't even see any mention of one in the works, which is even more alarming. If they were close to releasing one they would have probably mentioned it. I also google searched ' "game golf" android' and nothing came up. It doesn't help that this device has a really generic name and is a nightmare to navigate via google searches.

What were the reps in the booth at the PGA show saying about an Android app?

Having this kind of analytic functionality on a computer is nice, but outdated - especially for a $250 device with no screen. This is supposed to be about ease of use, and going home to sync and edit manually from my dusty laptop is a step in the wrong direction in that regard.

This moved from a day 1 purchase to a............lets wait and see what happens. Still highly interested, but the lack of an app is very offputting for something releasing in 2014.

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

[quote name='Auditor_Kevin' timestamp='1391098530' post='8565090']
Highly disappointed that there is no Android app yet. I combed the website and didn't even see any mention of one in the works, which is even more alarming. If they were close to releasing one they would have probably mentioned it. I also google searched ' "game golf" android' and nothing came up. It doesn't help that this device has a really generic name and is a nightmare to navigate via google searches.

What were the reps in the booth at the PGA show saying about an Android app?

Having this kind of analytic functionality on a computer is nice, but outdated - especially for a $250 device with no screen. This is supposed to be about ease of use, and going home to sync and edit manually from my dusty laptop is a step in the wrong direction in that regard.

This moved from a day 1 purchase to a............lets wait and see what happens. Still highly interested, but the lack of an app is very offputting for something releasing in 2014.
[/quote]
What would you want the ap to do? I have an iphone and the ap so didn't ask about Android. I have mentioned this thread to their development team so I hope someone will jump on and answer questions from the source instead of me trying to as a simple user :)

I personally like that I'm not getting real time feedback - just one more device to have to look at and think about what my reading is instead of focusing on my round. I got it so I could track all of my stats easily and quickly and also figure out true distances for all clubs etc. Only thing I would like changed is a way to get a little more stat tracking with the short game.

[quote name='Gatormanager3' timestamp='1391098865' post='8565130']
What would you want the ap to do? I have an iphone and the ap so didn't ask about Android. I have mentioned this thread to their development team so I hope someone will jump on and answer questions from the source instead of me trying to as a simple user :)

I personally like that I'm not getting real time feedback - just one more device to have to look at and think about what my reading is instead of focusing on my round. I got it so I could track all of my stats easily and quickly and also figure out true distances for all clubs etc. Only thing I would like changed is a way to get a little more stat tracking with the short game.
[/quote]

I'm with you on not wanting anything real-time running through the app. I'd just like all of the analytic and edit features in the Android app. Ideally the device on the belt would communicate directly to the app on my phone. Post-round I dial up the app and make all of my edits, post the round and then have the ability to call up all of the analytics such as average club distance, that awesome shot charting map overlay - all of the visual goodies that make this so valuable.

That is the future of 'quantified self' or wearable tech. Look at the implementation of all those wearable fitness trackers such as the [url="http://www.fitbit.com/force"]http://www.fitbit.com/force[/url] and [url="https://jawbone.com/up"]https://jawbone.com/up[/url]. They interface directly with the app through bluetooth. They work because the user doesn't have to take the device off.....find the USB cord.....fire up the computer......plug in the device....just to get the data in. I carry my phone with me 24 hours a day. My laptop gets cracked on a 'need to' basis, sometimes going weeks in between uses.

I don't mean to poo poo this device. I still love it. It's the beginning of a huge step forward in golf analysis. Like others here have mentioned, this removes the Emperor's New Clothes syndrome we all see where we all average 285 off the tee and can always stick 155 yard par 3s with our 9 irons. I don't think it'll be too long now before either this company or one just like it announces a partnership with a major club or grip company to integrate NFC analytics even further.

Who knows, cooking this tech directly into our irons off the rack might be the next big step forward in a stagnating (idea/innovation-wise anyway) new club market. Imagine the buzz if Taylor Made baked this into new iron sets.

But as is, this is missing that much needed FULL ease-of-use integration right now. There is a lot of hassle involved in getting that data off your belt and onto a screen. And for us Android users, the only screen available is one we hardly ever really use anymore.

Highly disappointed that there is no Android app yet.
[/quote]
Shouldn't you be used to that by now? There are several reasons why companies first develop for iOS devices:
a) less diverse target, there are only a handful of different devices and they tend to be updated to the latest OS. Compare that to Android where you have lots of different devices all with different hardware running different versions of Android.
b) iOS users are statistically more affluent than Android users so they are more likely to splash out on expensive gadgets. There was a stat that 80% of mobile purchases are being made from iOS devices although their market share is a lot less.

I've seen another stat that only 50% of top apps for iOS are being ported to Android as Android users are less likely to pay for apps than iOS users. Another problem is that apps get pirated on Android.

But I agree with you that the device should have Bluetooth so that you can connect it directly to your phone.

Mine arrived today. Snapped a couple pictures. Planning on using this for similar stat tracking that I do through oobgolf.com. Fairways hits, GIR, putts, etc. That was manual stat entering at the end of the round anyways so I don't think having to edit penalty shots, etc. will be that annoying to me.[attachment=2047070:photo(1).JPG][attachment=2047072:photo(2).JPG][attachment=2047074:photo(3).JPG]

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1391164760' post='8570304']
Highly disappointed that there is no Android app yet.
[/quote]
Shouldn't you be used to that by now?

But I agree with you that the device should have Bluetooth so that you can connect it directly to your phone.
[/quote]

I agree with evrything you say from a raw statistics perspective but I'd look at it a little differently. Game Golf isn't going after the universe of all smartphone users, they're selling to the universe of golfers who are early adopters for tech, and that includes consumers with plenty of money to spend on both the iOS and Android sides.

Game Golf is ignoring a big chunk of their potential sales by slowtracking Android app development. Am I used to it? Yes. Do I have to like it? No.

I can't wait to see this tech make the next leap to full bluetooth/app integration, and then the big step - when one of the more forward thinking club or grip manufacturers bakes this tech directly into their line of clubs. That will be the next big leap forward in a stagnant club innovation market.

I have a few questions. Since I live in Europe I have to wait until summer (hopefully) for the European release. If I order today from the US, I must be able to use it anyways right? If I go to their homepage and search for my home course, I find it and it says "ready to play", which I guess indicates that all I have to do is play a round of golf?

Secondly, since I have an android phone, do you need the app for this to work? Or is it just for real-time "broadcasting" of the round or the shots?

To be decided.