Any other coffee lovers here?

bub72ck

Do any of you have recommendations for a good expresso machine under 1000 dollars?

Rancilio Silvia is considered home Cadillac of machine. Under a grand and well worth it, a little cheaper yet is the Gaggia Classic. Breville makes a great machine also, but some Chinese made, Italian pump though, Australian owned.

The one I have is the Rolls Royce of home machines, and I found it on Craigslist, the Giotto.

Most any of them will make great espresso, cappuccino, latte.

32E07452-D5BC-4E2B-8DDB-29849C934E73-6336-000007A9879DEFCA_zpsacf17d80.jpg

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60

Wow, a lot of you are real fanatics about your coffee, which is fine. My needs are WAY more simple. My wife and I each have one large cup of coffee in the morning. We have a very simple Black & Decker single cup coffee maker (also have a Krups 12-cup for when it's needed). We use Melitta #1 filters in the B&D (it did come with a gold filter basket but it's a PITA to clean). We have an older Krups grinder and buy Starbucks beans (Sumatra).

I saw a Kitchenaid single cup brewer at Costco the other day. It looked better than the B&D we currently use. Anyone have any experience with it? They also had a Cuisinart burr grinder at a good price. I don't know what a "burr" grinder is. Why is it better than a traditional grinder?

Any advice appreciated.

[quote name='Jim Clark' timestamp='1391703409' post='8609543']
Wow, a lot of you are real fanatics about your coffee, which is fine. My needs are WAY more simple. My wife and I each have one large cup of coffee in the morning. We have a very simple Black & Decker single cup coffee maker (also have a Krups 12-cup for when it's needed). We use Melitta #1 filters in the B&D (it did come with a gold filter basket but it's a PITA to clean). We have an older Krups grinder and buy Starbucks beans (Sumatra).

I saw a Kitchenaid single cup brewer at Costco the other day. It looked better than the B&D we currently use. Anyone have any experience with it? They also had a Cuisinart burr grinder at a good price. I don't know what a "burr" grinder is. Why is it better than a traditional grinder?

Any advice appreciated.
[/quote]

Burr grinders "crush" the beans basically by mashing them between gears. It is more consistent than your standard blender-style machine that essentially chops them.

Burr grinders don't add as much excess heat to the process and result in a more consistent grind.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1391704211' post='8609627']
[quote name='Jim Clark' timestamp='1391703409' post='8609543']

Any advice appreciated.
[/quote]

Burr grinders "crush" the beans basically by mashing them between gears. It is more consistent than your standard blender-style machine that essentially chops them.

Burr grinders don't add as much excess heat to the process and result in a more consistent grind.
[/quote]

^ Spot on. The burr grinder will give consistent sized coffee grounds and producing a better flavor. If you and your wife each drink one cup per day (on most occasions) one of the devices we've been talking about here (Aeropress or Clever Dripper, etc) that allows greater contact time between water and grounds would really make you a happy camper. These devices are inconvenient for those that drink multiple cups per day but aren't difficult when you only need a cup or two. All you would need is the burr grinder and a tea kettle to heat the water.

You could take the same Starbucks Sumatra beans you like and be blown away with the difference in taste.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

As for me, my birthday is around the corner and my gift to myself is going to be a Baratza Encore grinder. I'm going to develop carpal tunnel as much as I have been grinding with the Hario.

Anybody here see a reason NOT to buy the Encore?

SIK Pro Custom

Well I'm trying some Huila region Colombian coffee. I guess there's a reason I only bought 3 lbs. good decent flavor, a little more acidity than I like.
I also have some Nicaraguan coming, 5lbs by Fara cafe farms, that's supposed to give Kona a run for the money.
I may have to try the Sulawesi that another poster suggested, Sulawesi Toraja is on my radar. I understand it's very similar to Sumatra, which I like.
Best not cut corners on the grinder, it's one of the most important parts of making great coffee.
If your going to get a economical burr grinder new, in the Baratza line, the Virtuoso is a step in the right direction. They go way up from there. Anfim best, being one of the best, and really not huge money for something that will last decades.
I really don't want to post pics of a discombobulated Baratza I have, so many plastic parts to break.

Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo

[quote name='12tamale' timestamp='1391779560' post='8615127']
Well I'm trying some Huila region Colombian coffee. I guess there's a reason I only bought 3 lbs. good decent flavor, a little more acidity than I like.
I also have some Nicaraguan coming, 5lbs by Fara cafe farms, that's supposed to give Kona a run for the money.
I may have to try the Sulawesi that another poster suggested, Sulawesi Toraja is on my radar. I understand it's very similar to Sumatra, which I like.
Best not cut corners on the grinder, it's one of the most important parts of making great coffee.
If your going to get a economical burr grinder new, in the Baratza line, the Virtuoso is a step in the right direction. They go way up from there. Anfim best, being one of the best, and really not huge money for something that will last decades.
I really don't want to post pics of a discombobulated Baratza I have, so many plastic parts to break.
[/quote]

I think the Virtuoso is about $100 more than the Encore. HAHA I didn't think a $130 grinder was "cutting corners" but I do see your point.

SIK Pro Custom

[quote name='bub72ck' timestamp='1391780456' post='8615207']
[/quote]

I think the Virtuoso is about $100 more than the Encore. HAHA I didn't think a $130 grinder was "cutting corners" but I do see your point.
[/quote]
A cordless drill on that Hario you have may be possible, your saving money now.
Don't those have ceramic burrs?

Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo

I love the smell of coffee more than the act of drinking it. Coffee is good, but I feel that 5 hour energy is equally effective and does not give me ungodly coffee breath for 4 hours. Also it makes your teeth less white.

Now, I will say there are a few expressos and exotic coffees that are amazing and I will drink any time I am around somewhere that makes it.

12Tamale that machine looks beautiful.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

While I'm not a coffee nut (I'm a whole leaf white tea addict), it is good to see that there are still some out there that eschew the prepackaged Kevalia and Kurig crap that seems to be taking over the workplace. Being a purist in most pursuits these days seems to be increasingly rare.

I will have a plain black double espresso once in a while though...

[quote name='12tamale' timestamp='1391781916' post='8615315']
[quote name='bub72ck' timestamp='1391780456' post='8615207']
[/quote]

[/quote]
A cordless drill on that Hario you have may be possible, your saving money now.
Don't those have ceramic burrs?
[/quote]

It does have ceramic burrs. It does a nice job grinding especially for $35.00.

The only issue I have with it besides early onset of carpal tunnel is knowing what grind size I'm going to get by turning a nut. At least with an electric grinder I will have a specific number to set it on when I want a certain size grind.

SIK Pro Custom

The Baltimore Coffee company in Timonium, MD has a fantastic array of coffees and blends. Had their basic Columbian bean. Very nice balance of roast, acid, and yumminess. I totally understand the Keurig comment from Thug's. But in a pinch, it serves its purpose. That 5-hour energy stuff scares me. Tried it once, and I heard Joe Picapo in my head, "You shouldn'ta hit me, Johnny. My mother hit me once,... ONCE!!!"

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, don't you guys know that unless you are professional baristas, you are just fooling yourselves by using presses, forged grinders, and first-class beans. You guys don't have the skills necessary to use this equipment properly, and are POSEURS. You should face reality and get some Keurig equipment, and leave the real coffee to the pros.

[quote name='thug the bunny' timestamp='1393372305' post='8744956']
Hey, don't you guys know that unless you are professional baristas, you are just fooling yourselves by using presses, forged grinders, and first-class beans. You guys don't have the skills necessary to use this equipment properly, and are POSEURS. You should face reality and get some Keurig equipment, and leave the real coffee to the pros.
[/quote]

[url="http://youtu.be/2mSd5t2n3ck"]http://youtu.be/2mSd5t2n3ck[/url]

SIK Pro Custom

[/quote]

Yes, a masters degree is required to make suitable coffee.

I appreciate a good cup of coffee and seek out small local shops when I can. I'm not above stopping by Starbucks, and I own a Keurig for quick cups before heading out to work. But on the weekends when I have time, I break out the good stuff and French press it.

Still don't own a grinder, I really need one. The quality of fresh ground coffee drops off SO much after a day or two. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent entry-level grinder? I'm only using it one or two days a week for a few cups worth at a time.

[/quote]

Yes and no. As with anything there is a learning curve. You may burn a bag of beans til you the right pull. But so what. Once you've got your grind right the possibilities are endless- you can screw with the pull depending upon what you feel like drinking that morning.

But Keurig coffee is horse piss.

PS Not all whole beans are that "fresh" either. You needn't get a roaster as there are custom roasters out there.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

[quote name='mikes919' timestamp='1393427297' post='8748988']
I appreciate a good cup of coffee and seek out small local shops when I can. I'm not above stopping by Starbucks, and I own a Keurig for quick cups before heading out to work. But on the weekends when I have time, I break out the good stuff and French press it.

Still don't own a grinder, I really need one. The quality of fresh ground coffee drops off SO much after a day or two. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent entry-level grinder? I'm only using it one or two days a week for a few cups worth at a time.
[/quote]

I settled on the Baratza Encore and have really liked it so far. If you are not making espresso it should suit your needs just fine. It was $129.00 from Amazon which is within $20 of most entry-level burr grinders that are worth a crap.

I also looked at a Bodum model but the reviews weren't nearly as favorable.

SIK Pro Custom

[quote name='mikes919' timestamp='1393427297' post='8748988']

[/quote]

Make sure it is a SGI grinder

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Son_of_Sahm' timestamp='1388693105' post='8386253']
[quote name='mac94' timestamp='1388630585' post='8382219']
I honestly have no idea how you guys drink this stuff. To me, coffee is one of the most distasteful things I have ever ingested. Plus, I hate smelling people's coffee breath. Blech.
[/quote]

Why post this in a coffee thread? :)

Anyway, I don't qualify as a coffee expert/aficionado like some of you guys, but I do like coffee. I usually drink Don Francisco's Colombian (2-3 cups each morning). Lately I've been using the little k- cups in my Keurig (Xmas Blend and Holiday Blend). Pretty good stuff, I think, but not at the level of the coffee some of you guys get.
[/quote]I drink the Don also. Great stuff. Grind my own now and then. Think I am going to have to look into the Aeropress.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

12tamale I need some help.

I've been attempting to roast my own beans. My beans still have a grassy taste which would suggest I'm not roasting them long enough. This batch was roasted for 8 minutes in my popper which should be more than enough. It was 62 degrees outside when I roasted in my garage today. Is that temp affecting.my roast? Do I need to roast longer? Is my popper not powerful enough? What gives.

Beans on the left are some I bought at Kroger vs my roasted beans in the jar. Mine do not have the same amount of oil exposed.

[quote name='tuckman' timestamp='1394514332' post='8845513']
12tamale I need some help.

I've been attempting to roast my own beans. My beans still have a grassy taste which would suggest I'm not roasting them long enough. This batch was roasted for 8 minutes in my popper which should be more than enough. It was 62 degrees outside when I roasted in my garage today. Is that temp affecting.my roast? Do I need to roast longer? Is my popper not powerful enough? What gives.

Beans on the left are some I bought at Kroger vs my roasted beans in the jar. Mine do not have the same amount of oil exposed.
[/quote]
Looks like your successfully getting a nice medium roast. Ambient temperature is a factor of course on roast times.
The first roast is what I call the warmup, and I start with a smaller batch of beans, about 2/3 of my normal size. Then pour the beans to the next batch, some people weigh them, if your first batch is evenly roasted it's a sign that your on target with the batch size, and you can increase the second batch size. Keep in mind every bean roast a little different.
You only need to roast that second batch 8 minutes to see oils coming out of the bean. The first batch seems to be an excercise in futility.
That's not an unusual roast time with my popper, on the first batch. On the second they would be pretty dark, almost burnt at 8 minutes. Try roasting 3 in a row!
There is also an audible sign there done, it's called the second crack, when the beans make a cracking sound on the first few minutes, listen for the second, more subtle second crack.
That Ethiopian coffee has a earthy flavor.
I'm going to roast some coffee!
What did you buy for a popper, roaster?
P.S Your batch size looks a tiny bit large, as you have some that are a little darker, and lighter, a little uneven. A tiny bit smaller may be in order. Smaller at first, is better.
You have to admit the flavor is another dimension!

Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo

This is a Bourbon coffee grown in El Salvador, pronounced Bour bone, that's an old relish, my wife corrected me bouillon jar for size of roast comparison, about 2/3 full on first roast, almost to top on second.

As you can see the first roast was 8 minutes, and lighter. The second batch was 6 1/2 minutes, on right and considerably darker. The machine was warmed up being the difference.

BBED110C-3E27-40BC-8A20-04E5F87D882C_zpsc1iwtrmf.jpg

1CA10505-3D67-45F3-A976-FF9422A82496_zpsyy8v3vtx.jpg

Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo

This is a Bourbon coffee grown in El Salvador, pronounced Bour bone, that's an old relish jar for size of roast comparison, about 2/3 full on first roast, almost to top on second.

As you can see the first roast was 8 minutes, and lighter. The second batch was 6 1/2 minutes, on right and considerably darker. The machine was warmed up being the difference.

BBED110C-3E27-40BC-8A20-04E5F87D882C_zpsc1iwtrmf.jpg

1CA10505-3D67-45F3-A976-FF9422A82496_zpsyy8v3vtx.jpg

Nice looking beans 12tamale!

SIK Pro Custom

• 2 years later...

Ok, I hate reviving old threads as much as the next guy, but figured I'd chime in. A little about me....I hate coffee. Or at least I hate it compared to my caffeine drink of choice, Diet Dr. pepper. My wife loves it, and frequents all the local shops...basically anything but Starbucks. Anyway for Christmas I decided to get her a good machine for home. Something that can take great beans and make a great cup. But I know it had to be simple....most of what I've seen pictured here reminds me of a chemistry set, and I know she wouldn't use it.

Anyway, after a LOT of research I opted for a refurbished Jura Impresa S9. It ended up costing just under 4 figures, but holy crap does it make a nice cup of coffee....and this is coming from a guy who hates it. And I know there are cheaper units that can do the same job, but those would never get used here. With this thing, I add beans and water, push a button, and get coffee. Seriously planning to use it myself now, and hopefully drop the DDP.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

Ok, I hate reviving old threads as much as the next guy, but figured I'd chime in. A little about me....I hate coffee. Or at least I hate it compared to my caffeine drink of choice, Diet Dr. pepper. My wife loves it, and frequents all the local shops...basically anything but Starbucks. Anyway for Christmas I decided to get her a good machine for home. Something that can take great beans and make a great cup. But I know it had to be simple....most of what I've seen pictured here reminds me of a chemistry set, and I know she wouldn't use it.

Anyway, after a LOT of research I opted for a refurbished Jura Impresa S9. It ended up costing just under 4 figures, but holy crap does it make a nice cup of coffee....and this is coming from a guy who hates it. And I know there are cheaper units that can do the same job, but those would never get used here. With this thing, I add beans and water, push a button, and get coffee. Seriously planning to use it myself now, and hopefully drop the DDP.

Those all-in-one machines are awesome. I splurged on a Gaggia last year and love it. My wife does not drink coffee so the grind and brew is perfect. The coffee is so good.

• 6 months later...