2 Ball Questions 1) Distance 2)Effect on Ball flight

hackerboy

HI. Was wondering if there is any well done study which definitively proves or disproves that any of the current balls from all the OEMs is 10 yards more than other models. In other words, does a ProV1 go 10 yards less, than say a pinnacle gold. I am under the impression that the USGA ball limit rules means that all balls must only go a certain distance when tested??? 2) Taking into account the first question, my next question regards ball flight/spin and tour vs distance type balls. The alleged best and most popular tour balls are low driver spin. How much distance does that equate to?? Also, the ball charts in golf digest show a few hundred RPM difference on driver shots from the high spin to low spin balls. Will that really be noticeable?? Anyway, now I'm over 2 questions.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well your question(s) could be answered a hundred different ways but I will pass on my perspective. The dimples and their pattern have the biggest effect on the flight of the ball. Distance is usually obtained from the core technology but no also is affected by the cover as well. The plastics they use nowadays to make golf balls better transfer the energy resulting in a greater speed off the clubface. The golf digest spin numbers are also from the iron byron machine as well, and I have never seen anyone swing like him. All parts of the golf swing will affect how the ball reacts for you, and there are a million options available. And to answer the first question, yes certain golf balls go different distances for different players. For instance, softer compression balls may go nowhere for me, while "tour" balls go forever, however the opposite could be true for you.

Thanks. Lately I've been trying to evaluate several balls including distance balls and can't definitely say I hit any consistently farther. On average well hit shots they all go within 5-10 yards of each other. Now I am only 95mph clubhead speed, 7 handicap, so maybe wouldn't see a huge distance change anyway. I'm basically trying to determine the best balls for certain situations (windy, firm running fairways, damp/no roll) but for the life of me can't see any relevant driver distance differences when comparing Prov1,prov1x, taylormade lethal and urethane, hex chrome, velocity, and pinnacle gold. I'm talking well hit shots down the middle. Now inside of 100 yards is another story, but off the tee is my main interest for upcoming events.

Most of the premium golf balls would be pretty much the same I would have to guess. You also don't want the wind to affect it too much either. I have yet to try it but the Callaway Super Soft sounds just what you are looking for. Due to the HX aerodynamics it performs best in the wind when compared to the other balls in its category. The crazy thing is it is a low compression ball that seems to be to quite a lot of players liking from fast swingers to those with slower swing speeds. I would think they would be good for two of your criteria. As for the damp no roll, you are gonna want a ball to maximize your carry.

Thanks. I need to pick up some of those supersofts and see how they work. Since you can change balls on each new hole I see no reason not to maximize the best ball for the conditions. I simply haven't found one that consistently works better downwind, into the wind, for carry or on a low runner. Well hit shots seem to just max out regardless of ball, the rest are usual.

[quote name='hackerboy' timestamp='1391486378' post='8594560']
Thanks. I need to pick up some of those supersofts and see how they work. Since you can change balls on each new hole I see no reason not to maximize the best ball for the conditions. I simply haven't found one that consistently works better downwind, into the wind, for carry or on a low runner. Well hit shots seem to just max out regardless of ball, the rest are usual.
[/quote]

Its all well and good to maximize your potential for a good shot on a given hole, but I rely more on consistency with my ball choice. I want a ball that is going to perform the same for me around the greens on every hole. If you start switching balls back and forth then you have to play for the shot to run out or stop more depending on the situation. The game is hard enough as it is without adding in extra variables to cloud the issue, at least in my opinion. I've played the same ball for about 6 years, the B330-S (various newer versions of course). I check it every year to make sure it still goes well for me, but the consistency I get from it helps me to shoot lower, or at least thats what I tell myself!

I totally understand what you're saying. To me though, since one is allowed to change balls on each new hole (unlike PGA) there is a potential to optimize ball flight and other factors to take advantage of unique situations. I am not talking about every hole. I want my money ball in there on most holes and par 3s. I'm talking about days when one is hitting into a 25mph wind, or downwind 25 mph, and a higher flying spin ball may work better downwind, versus a distance ball into the wind. That is, if there truly is a distance advantage (not 6 yards). Same for wet lush fairways, vs hard runners, different flights for optimized outcome. I posted because I can't determine that there is any advantageous ball for driving, just better ones for short game. At least with regard to my club head speed and average drive height.

[quote name='hackerboy' timestamp='1391496613' post='8595160']
I totally understand what you're saying. To me though, since one is allowed to change balls on each new hole (unlike PGA) there is a potential to optimize ball flight and other factors to take advantage of unique situations. I am not talking about every hole. I want my money ball in there on most holes and par 3s. I'm talking about days when one is hitting into a 25mph wind, or downwind 25 mph, and a higher flying spin ball may work better downwind, versus a distance ball into the wind. That is, if there truly is a distance advantage (not 6 yards). Same for wet lush fairways, vs hard runners, different flights for optimized outcome. I posted because I can't determine that there is any advantageous ball for driving, just better ones for short game. At least with regard to my club head speed and average drive height.
[/quote]

WOW ... I think you're over-thinking this WAY too much. You can do as you please (obviously) and you should do what gives you the most confidence [u]if it indeed works[/u]. Now to answer your question ..... I see very little difference in distance from the tee between any of the premium balls. And they all provide adequate spin with the short game. I do, however, see about 1/2 club gain with the B330s over the ProV1x. Is it the ball? Or am I compressing the Bridgestone a little better with the irons? Who knows. I actually don't care why. The ball works for me and I play it every round, every shot. There are enough variables before hitting a shot to have to add another one by wondering which ball I'm playing on this hole and how it's going to react compared to the ball I played on the previous hole. WAY too much to undertake during a pre-shot routine.

And that distance ball that you used into the wind landed in the middle of the fairway leaving you a 90 yard shot downhill / downwind to a pin tucked on the front of the green. What you going to do now?

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

[quote name='hackerboy' timestamp='1391496613' post='8595160']
[/quote]

It is a good theory, but in reality not effective. There are way too many variables to control for, not to mention, the simple swing to swing chaos of the average amateur. You did not saying anything about your game so not sure what you are trying to achieve. Like most that hover around the ball forum, I have played the entire spectrum of balls and I am a short hitter by most standards. There is not single ball that is "head and shoulders" longer than another. If so, everybody would be playing it. Yes, all things equal, in my experience, if you hit a flush Pinnacle Gold vs. a flush ProV1, you are probably more likely to scoot one out there 10 yds farther. With that said, some of my longest drives have been with a tour level ball.

Even for a short hitter like me, the extra distance is rarely worth it. As an 8 hdcp there are at least 5 or 6 times in a round where a distance ball puts me at a disadvantage on most courses. This is probably even more so in harder and faster conditions. I can make an argument for a short AND decent player that a tour ball is even more important. For someone with average distance, I have no idea why they would not use a tour ball.

This has kind if been my experience. I'm a 7 handicap short hitter, 95mph, and live in Hawaii. So we have lots of wind all the time, especially courses like Plantation. I have many good rounds with both Prov's, as well as distance balls like the Velocity. As I originally posted, for the life of me, I can't tell any difference in ball distance. That said, I have no problem using a rock hard ball on a hole where I need extra yards, or want to hit short and run on the green. Into the wind, or even downwind on rare reachable par 5 on a windy day. Does it work,again, who knows. Seems like well hit shots work with any ball. I'm not talking about short game, just high percentage of straight forward holes tee to green. Anyway, was just curious whether data supported ever using a distance ball for distance, particularly at my low 95 mph. Sounds like not.

I truly believe that the distance capabilities of a ball are directly related to its compression. The compression of a golf ball should be fairly close to your swing speed. Golf ball manufacturers are starting to market compression again as they went away from this over the past several years. Getting the right ball compression for your swing speed is critical. It always has been the most important factor when determining your golf ball...if distance is your goal.

The main concern in the wind is making solid contact and not over-swinging. Players with your handicap index should know how to hit the ball lower and work it either into the wind or with the wind. No need to use a "distance" ball. You'll be far better served to learn how to control the ball in the wind. I played in Charleston SC for 6 years and we had wind every day. You either learn to deal with it or get very frustrated.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop