Why is it so hard to resist the poser bag?

jons1

Like a moth to a flame, it's so hard not to move toward one manufacturer. It never fails, it doesn't matter which pony you pick, a few years go by and you're ready to buy everything from someone else. I say why fight it? Let's learn how to be sponsored this year!

Pros and Cons

Taylormade

Pros

If you go all Taylormade, you can also pretend to sign a clothing deal with Adidas Golf, which really ups your poser game. You can also be young and edgy and rock the Ashworth stuff, so the options are really endless for you. Throw in the white three striped belt and you're practically a touring pro. For all their marketing, the clubs are actually really good, so it could be a win-win this season.

Cons

The ball is great, but not for everyone, which could really mess up the relationship with your pretend sponsor, and you're also subject to those things they call wedges. Also, their staff bags and hats change every 6 months, so this is an ongoing investment that you have to consider to maintain your poser level.

Titleist

Pros

If you go all Titleist, you have a nice transition from woods to putters, cause it's all pretty quality stuff. The staff bag also doesn't change often, so you can maintain your level of poser for quite a while before reinvesting. And let's face it, there's a million of these guys, so you could fly under the radar and pull this off too. You also have Footjoy to round out your look, which isn't too shabby I might add.

Cons

It's hard to find a pretend clothing deal. Sure, you can go with Oakley, Polo, UnderArmour or someone, but it feels like your poser game has lost some street cred. You also lose out on all the fuzzy feelings you get with Taylormade and Callaway marketing hype. I mean, how fun is it really to say you're hitting a <insert number> versus a JetSpeed? The models also don't really change each year, so it loses some poser edge unless you go with the story about Titleist letting you bag what you want as long as it's theirs (which requires some acting skills).

Callaway Golf

Pros

If you go all Callaway Golf, you've got some quality stuff throughout the bag. Some woods are hook central, but nothing the pro model can't fix, or a story about some custom fitting sessions in Carlsbad. Staff bags also get a big bonus, cause collecting the bombs is kind of cool, and tells you're playing parters that you're 250 yard drive is really a 320 bomb. Also, you could maybe pretend you're a professional long driver, but that really comes down to whether you can swing the club 115mph to pull off the look to unsuspecting ams that think 300 is long.

Cons

Sure, you can wear Callaway clothing, and it's pretty decent stuff, but it's not as easy to find or on sale. Those golf ball dimples also take some getting use to, but I'm sure you can work it out. Also, the endless questions about Phil could get to be too much, depending on whether you're a fan or not.

Ping

Pros

If you're a cast guy, you've found your home. These guys have lots of great options, and even touring pros will play the i series so you might be able to pull the whole thing off. Plus, you can also get your putters dipped in gold (spray paint might work), and start a room in your house. This is for the serious poser, however. Another good thing, you can pretend to sign a deal with any ball maker and still be legit.

Cons

Not everyone loves cast, so this could be an issue. You also have no clothing deal options to complete the full poser effect, though you might be able to pull it off with Oakley (especially if you say you're truck is bullet proof (don't test it out, no matter how many beers on the course you drink)).

Mizuno

Pros

If you're a forged guy, this is really a great way to go. Irons, wedges, and putters are top notch stuff, and you can tell stories about how samurai swords are made. Bags and hats don't change often, so you can maintain your poser level for some time. You can also pretend to be sponsored with any golf ball, but I'd stick with Titleist on this one.

Cons

Woods are not at the top of peoples list, and although their own pros will bag a TM driver, it lowers your ranking. You have no clothing deal options either, which really limits you to Oakley, Polo, UnderArmour, etc.

Nike

Pros

If you go all Nike, you have some great Nike swooshed options. Pretty quality throughout the bag overall. And when you sign a pretend deal with Nike, with it comes apparel, shoes, hats, street wear when you're not playing, etc. You can pull off the best poser image, behind TM, in the game. This is also the best option for the PLAYAS... you know who you are (no need to insert a cheap Tiger waitress joke).

Cons

You live in the shadow of Tiger, and it's creating friction with your pretend sponsor. You also would never bag anything but their blades, so you better bring your A game.

Wilson Staff

Pros

A long history of winners and majors, you follow in great footsteps. They are also a general sporting company, so you can mix in other sporting equipment to round out your pretend sponsorship. Also, they don't sponsor many people you've heard of, so in the US you have a higher chance of pulling this off (unless they are hardcore golf fans). Plus, you could make your own funny youtube commercial if you're the type.

Cons

Seriously? No, really, seriously? Where do we even begin? You have no pretend clothing deal associated with this sponsorship, let alone shoes or ball, but I suggest you're a journeyman that likes to march to the beat of your own drummer (may require acting skills) to pull this off.

Adams Golf

Pros

You're best friends with Watson... just go with it. Besides, you were also instrumental in Els leaving Callaway. This could win you an oscar this year. BTW, their stuff is actually really good, and the shaft upgrades alone make this a smart pretend sponsorship for any poser (especially on a budget). Also, you're inside knowledge about TM owning AG makes you not only the real deal, but gives you the ability to fulfill your dream of wearing yellow shoes.

Cons

These guys are associated mainly with Champions Tour players. I know what you're saying, it's only bad for the guys under 50, but it's still a major issue to consider to pull this off.

Cobra

Pros

You are the coolest kid on the block! I mean, you sip red bull all day, and party all night with the hot ladies! If you're young, this is THE pretend sponsorship this year. You got some great options with the equipment as well, and you can even COLOR COORDINATE with your other pretend sponsor, Puma.

Cons

Only for the young. Seriously, no one needs to see a 40 year old guy in orange pants. 'nough said.

Cleveland Golf

Pros

Still one of the top wedge makers, and a solid overall choice. This is a nice sleeper sponsorship. You also won't have to worry about all the pressures of shooting commercials or marketing materials since they never do it. You can also link your pretend sponsorship with Srixon, which is a huge selling point if you prefer a yellow ball.

Cons

Let's be honest, this sponsorship is home for the insane. VJ is spraying antler urine or something on himself, Beljan is laying all over the course with panic attacks near death, and where do we even start watching Keegan hit a ball. You'll also have to work on a clothing deal here, and if Srixon isn't your deal, you will have a tough time pulling this one off.

Bridgestone Golf

Pros

Fred Couples. Yeah, that's what you're getting here, and it's a good thing. OK, everyone likes some Kuch (don't say that with your wife around), but it's all about Couples here. The equipment is actually pretty good, particularly the forged stuff. You also have a great ball selection to fit anyones game with this pretend sponsorship, and all of them are totally legit options with Lee hanging on to the lower ball speed models. You also have a lot of flexibility with this sponsor, so it could be a win-win if you're a tinkerer.

Cons

It's been a while, but didn't the woods look like something Austin Powers would use? It took some serious wind out of this sponsorship in the driver department in the past, which is why you saw some other options in the bag. Couples or no couples, Bridgestone Golf just doesn't seem to carry the kind of poser power of the others, so you have to really figure out who you want to pretend you are.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beg to differ.

A Titleist bag with Oakley clothes is plenty poser.

Btw, love the thread. Can't wait for the Mizuno and Cobra entries....

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Nike is poser central. Clubs,balls,bags,shoes,clothes. They have it all. Plus off the course u can rock it too :)

Titleist TS3, 9.5, Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 8
Callaway xforged utility 18, AD DI 105
Taylormade p770 4-pw, Project X 
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58 Project X 
Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2

I think you can play all one company and not be a poser. A real poser is the guy decked out head to toe with blades and staff bag and hits it all over the park carding a beautiful 108. That same guy comes on here and chimes in on the obligatory "should I play blades" thread claiming how it doesn't affect his game, ball striking is his forte and it's the putting and driving that really hurt him.

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1391912052' post='8626593']
I think you can play all one company and not be a poser. A real poser is the guy decked out head to toe with blades and staff bag and hits it all over the park carding a beautiful 108. That same guy comes on here and chimes in on the obligatory "should I play blades" thread claiming how it doesn't affect his game, ball striking is his forte and it's the putting and driving that really hurt him.
[/quote]

Yep, you nailed it!

Ping G30 10.5 Driver Tour 80 75g S
Ping G30 5-wood TFC 419F 57g S
Ping i25 3-UW irons KBS Tour S
Ping Gorge 54SS, 58SS KBS Tour S
Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, ProV1X
WITB Link

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1391912052' post='8626593']
[/quote]

Obviously the thread is complete tongue in cheek to say the least. I've been around GolfWrx long enough to know we're big time club hos through and through, and it's poking a little fun at that.

Hell, I started this thread because I started creating one sponsor bags in my head this year... I'm as guilty as anyone. And with that, I'm kind of torn, but leaning toward TM since it comes with a killer clothing deal as well.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

What happens to guys like me who play TM woods, mizuno irons, cleveland wedges, Titleist ProV1x, and Nike clothes and bag??

I guess we go sit in a corner with KJ Choi and cry about our inability to be sponsored. Real or otherwise.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

[quote name='drewtaylor21' timestamp='1391913236' post='8626689']
What happens to guys like me who play TM woods, mizuno irons, cleveland wedges, Titleist ProV1x, and Nike clothes and bag??

I guess we go sit in a corner with KJ Choi and cry about our inability to be sponsored. Real or otherwise.
[/quote]

I'm right with you brother. Cally driver, wishon fairways,Titleist irons, cleveland wedges, and a rife putter. It kind of saddens me to see the mixed bag guys sign contracts. The fall of Hennie stennie cut me deep.

Superfast 1.0 TP
913 FD 15*
Rocketbladez Tour 3-P
Red Saw Vokeys
Scotty Select Squareback

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1391908315' post='8626239']
Like a moth to a flame, it's so hard not to move toward one manufacturer. It never fails, it doesn't matter which pony you pick, a few years go by and you're ready to buy everything from someone else. [size=4]I say why fight it? Let's learn how to be sponsored this year![/size]

[/quote]

Your post made me laugh out loud three times. Well done.

Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
Taylormade V-Steel 4-wood
Taylormade V-Steel 7-wood
Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60
Yes Callie - bunch of lead tape on the bottom

[/quote]

My suggestion, pick one of the pretend sponsors you already have, and fill in the rest of the bag with the matching. You have a lot of great options. Since you like the Titleist ball, I'd go with someone that comes with an independent ball deal.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

[/quote]

Another TM/ Mizuno player here, but I use Vokey (52*,56*) and Nike (60*) wedges. Guess we're SOL...lol.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Also, I almost signed a full imaginary contract with Adams a couple years ago, but I couldn't pronounce the name of the wedges. I felt I'd be a poor imaginary brand ambassador as a consequence.

Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60

If you go Titleist, the obvious choice for clothing is Footjoy. They make everything from Shirts to rain gear so you're all set.

As for Ping. They make some really nice clothing of their own as well.

If you want another wildcard clothing company to pair with Ping, Titleist or even Adams, you could go all UnderArmour.

[quote name='Muddler' timestamp='1391914669' post='8626821']
Also, I almost signed a full imaginary contract with Adams a couple years ago, but I couldn't pronounce the name of the wedges. I felt I'd be a poor imaginary brand ambassador as a consequence.
[/quote]
Ha!

Ping G30 10.5 Driver Tour 80 75g S
Ping G30 5-wood TFC 419F 57g S
Ping i25 3-UW irons KBS Tour S
Ping Gorge 54SS, 58SS KBS Tour S
Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, ProV1X
WITB Link

I have 6 manufacturers in my poser bag! 7 if you count the ball ;)

Cobra F9 Speedback 7.0 Graphite Design Tour Ad GP 7x
Callaway Rogue SUB ZERO 13.5 HZRDUS Yellow 83x
Srixon U85 18 & 22  Steelfiber 110 X-cw 
Srixon 585  5/6 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
Srixon 785 7/8/9 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
 Cleveland 46,52 58 RTX3 Steelfiber 125 X-cw
Odyssey Mc2 Oworks
Srixon Zstar gloves, and Zstar XV Ball

[color=#282828]Mizuno[/color]

[color=#282828]Pros[/color]
[color=#282828]If you're a forged guy, this is really a great way to go. Irons, wedges, and putters are top notch stuff, and you can tell stories about how samurai swords are made. Bags and hats don't change often, so you can maintain your poser level for some time. You can also pretend to be sponsored with any golf ball bu[/color][color=#282828]t I'd stick with Titleist on this one.[/color]

[color=#282828]Cons[/color]
[color=#282828]Woods are not at the top of peoples list, and although their own pros will bag a TM driver, it lowers your ranking. You have no clothing deal options either, which really limits you to Oakley, Polo, etc. [/color]

[color=#282828]Chris Wood uses the woods and has a Mizuno clothing contract. I guess because he's a Euro Tour player and only 80th in the OWGR he doesn't count though. :)[/color]

[url="http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/players/Chris-Wood"]http://golf.mizunoeu...yers/Chris-Wood[/url]

STZ 10.5 Motore F3 60s

STZ 5 wood Motore F3 70s

CLK 22 Tensei blue 
JPX 850 Forged 4-pw S300

ES21 54 60 
Mizuno Craft 1

[quote name='Muddler' timestamp='1391914669' post='8626821']
[/quote]Real brand ambassadors never refer to clubs or people by full name, eg. -Wedge Voke ground for me, had a good round playing with Duf and Keeg...

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='BigPete' timestamp='1391915586' post='8626909']
[color=#282828]Mizuno[/color]

[color=#282828]Pros[/color]
[color=#282828]If you're a forged guy, this is really a great way to go. Irons, wedges, and putters are top notch stuff, and you can tell stories about how samurai swords are made. Bags and hats don't change often, so you can maintain your poser level for some time. You can also pretend to be sponsored with any golf ball bu[/color][color=#282828]t I'd stick with Titleist on this one.[/color]

[color=#282828]Cons[/color]
[color=#282828]Woods are not at the top of peoples list, and although their own pros will bag a TM driver, it lowers your ranking. You have no clothing deal options either, which really limits you to Oakley, Polo, etc. [/color]

[color=#282828]Chris Wood uses the woods and has a Mizuno clothing contract. I guess because he's a Euro Tour player and only 80th in the OWGR he doesn't count though. :)[/color]

[url="http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/players/Chris-Wood"]http://golf.mizunoeu...yers/Chris-Wood[/url]
[/quote]

I made no claims on the accuracy of the post. Mizuno has clothing? When the heck did this happen

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

[quote name='opus_mh' timestamp='1391915511' post='8626899']
[/quote]

Dude, you're a mess. Someone is going to drop you if you don't show some brand loyalty. And you call yourself a GolfWrx equipment forum poster... I think NOT.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1391916108' post='8626961']
[quote name='opus_mh' timestamp='1391915511' post='8626899']
[/quote]

Dude, you're a mess. Someone is going to drop you if you don't show some brand loyalty. And you call yourself a GolfWrx equipment forum poster... I think NOT.
[/quote]

I know I'm really trying to get my act together, but other than putter/ball I have no loyalty.

Cobra F9 Speedback 7.0 Graphite Design Tour Ad GP 7x
Callaway Rogue SUB ZERO 13.5 HZRDUS Yellow 83x
Srixon U85 18 & 22  Steelfiber 110 X-cw 
Srixon 585  5/6 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
Srixon 785 7/8/9 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
 Cleveland 46,52 58 RTX3 Steelfiber 125 X-cw
Odyssey Mc2 Oworks
Srixon Zstar gloves, and Zstar XV Ball

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1391915141' post='8626863']
Nothing for it then. Bridgestone!
[/quote]

Added.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

We're not the only ones fretting about imaginary sponsorship rules:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/963376-wearing-oem-clothing-without-using-their-clubs/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/963376-wearing-oem-clothing-without-using-their-clubs/[/url]

[quote][color=#282828][size=4]Is it ok to wear clothing brands but not have their clubs? [/size][/color][size=4][/quote][/size]

Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60