Why is it so hard to resist the poser bag?

jons1

Amazing!! I'm on the verge of a deal with Ping right now! The only impedement to the Ping contract is if Adams swoops in and impresses me with the XTD driver and fw. If nothing happens, then I'll be a poser wannabe.

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why one brand makes a person more of a poseur than a multiple brand bag.
Anyway, the trademark of the golf poseur is an amateur with his name on the golf bag. Name-on-bag is the traditional right of passage for a golf professional, and it is to be earned, not bought.

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

[quote name='square' timestamp='1391917289' post='8627077']
Not sure why one brand makes a person more of a poseur than a multiple brand bag.
Anyway, the trademark of the golf poseur is an amateur with his name on the golf bag. Name-on-bag is the traditional right of passage for a golf professional, and it is to be earned, not bought.
[/quote]

What if you have somebody else's name on your bag?

Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
Taylormade V-Steel 4-wood
Taylormade V-Steel 7-wood
Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60
Yes Callie - bunch of lead tape on the bottom

[/quote]

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! The correct spelling is "poseur" not "poser."

That said, I'm a Cleveland poseur. I'm not sure what that says about me but I'm pretty certain it's not good.

[quote name='Muddler' timestamp='1391917069' post='8627057']
We're not the only ones fretting about imaginary sponsorship rules:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/963376-wearing-oem-clothing-without-using-their-clubs/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ng-their-clubs/[/url]

[quote][color=#282828][size=4]Is it ok to wear clothing brands but not have their clubs? [/size][/color][size=4][/quote][/size]
[/quote]

This is what happens when you don't consider the entire contract. Sure, you might like their clubs, but you have to consider their entire offer. If you're Tiger, you can put up with a bad clothing line for a few years with the money, but for the rest of us, we have to consider it when signing a pretend deal.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1391918001' post='8627149']

[/quote]

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! The correct spelling is "poseur" not "poser."

That said, I'm a Cleveland poseur. I'm not sure what that says about me but I'm pretty certain it's not good.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poser"]http://www.urbandict....php?term=poser[/url]
both are considered valid, but I also make no claims of checking for grammar, spelling, punctuation, accuracy, or even objectivity... use at your own risk

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

[quote name='Muddler' timestamp='1391917947' post='8627137']
[/quote]

What if you have somebody else's name on your bag?
[/quote]

Abort the mission. It's one thing to pretend you're a pro, it's another to pretend you're someone else by name. Besides, it's usually someone that's a Class A assistant pro that no one knows

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

I must have signed with Callaway several years ago! Full Callaway bag here! Now if the free clubs and checks would just start showing up...

Funny thing happened this past year. The wife and I were loading up the clubs after a round of golf. My clubs were still sitting at the back of my truck and a guy stops and was checking out my bag. He asks if he could see the driver and I say sure. He was talking about how much he liked Callaway stuff and ends up pulling nearly every club and checking them out. I had a good time talking to him and he asks if I work for Callaway. I tell him no but I should after the sales pitch I just gave him! So as the wife and I are leaving out I ask her why he would have though I worked for Callaway. She looks over at me with this look and says, "Come on now, all Callaway clubs and bag and balls, Callaway shirt (just happened to be wearing the only Callaway shirt I own that day) and hat too? Plus the Callaway and Odyssey stickers on the back of your truck? You're a rolling billboard for them!" She had me there.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

I'm feeling young and edgy......better wear my ashworth. HA!

Maybe it's just me but that sounds as ridiculous as "I'm feeling manly, I think I'll go bake some brownies"

Callaway Rogue SZ Fuji Pro Tour Spec 75
Callaway XR with Fubuki J
Titleist 712U - Steelfiber i110
Callaway Apex MB - Steelfiber i110
Callaway MD5 54, 58, 62 Modus 120
Odyssesy White Hot #8

[quote name='nuthin but a hacker' timestamp='1391918783' post='8627211']
I must have signed with Callaway several years ago! Full Callaway bag here! Now if the free clubs and checks would just start showing up...

Funny thing happened this past year. The wife and I were loading up the clubs after a round of golf. My clubs were still sitting at the back of my truck and a guy stops and was checking out my bag. He asks if he could see the driver and I say sure. He was talking about how much he liked Callaway stuff and ends up pulling nearly every club and checking them out. I had a good time talking to him and he asks if I work for Callaway. I tell him no but I should after the sales pitch I just gave him! So as the wife and I are leaving out I ask her why he would have though I worked for Callaway. She looks over at me with this look and says, "Come on now, all Callaway clubs and bag and balls, Callaway shirt (just happened to be wearing the only Callaway shirt I own that day) and hat too? Plus the Callaway and Odyssey stickers on the back of your truck? You're a rolling billboard for them!" She had me there.
[/quote]

You are what I would coin the pretend creeping spokesman. Sure, you start off all innocent, but next thing you know you're hooked. Congrats! Do you have any bombs on your bag?

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1391919249' post='8627249']

[/quote]

You are what I would coin the pretend creeping spokesman. Sure, you start off all innocent, but next thing you know you're hooked. Congrats! Do you have any bombs on your bag?
[/quote]

Not a single one! It takes me a couple swings to get a ball 300 yards.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

All right guys I have a set of i25s being made for me now to replace my G10s. I have to admit I've also been eye balling a Ping DLX bag to replace my Ping Hoofer as well. Almost always use a cart, and I love the look of this bag but certainly don't need it.

Talk me down!

Ping G30 10.5 Driver Tour 80 75g S
Ping G30 5-wood TFC 419F 57g S
Ping i25 3-UW irons KBS Tour S
Ping Gorge 54SS, 58SS KBS Tour S
Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, ProV1X
WITB Link

[quote name='Architect' timestamp='1391951553' post='8628377']
All right guys I have a set of i25s being made for me now to replace my G10s. I have to admit I've also been eye balling a Ping DLX bag to replace my Ping Hoofer as well. Almost always use a cart, and I love the look of this bag but certainly don't need it.

Talk me down!
[/quote]Go for it. Sweet looking bag, to house your new i25's. I have the 2013 white version and it looks awesome, but it definitely elevates poser/poseur status. Oh sorry, I was supposed to talk you down. Wrong site for that.

Rogue ST Max 9 Degree Tensei AV White 65x
G400 3 Wood Tour75x

Sub70 699U 2 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
PXG 0211DC 5-GW Tour Elevate x
PXG 0311 52 & 58 Tour Elevate x
Taylormade Spider X

What about srixon?

Could probably do that under the radar quite well. All the golf anoraks would approve because you can use JDM srixon woods with cleveland irons and wedges. Good ball in the z star.

Infact i've already got a srixon tour bag sat around holding old clubs. Hmmmm…..

Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Titleist 913f
Mizuno MP54
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 MXM Versa
WITB Link

What about srixon?

Could probably do that under the radar quite well. All the golf anoraks would approve because you can use JDM srixon woods with cleveland irons and wedges. Good ball in the z star.

Infact i've already got a srixon tour bag sat around holding old clubs. Hmmmm…..

Under the radar as long as everyone at your club is colour-blind:

2012-01-30-18.07.24.jpg

Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
Taylormade V-Steel 4-wood
Taylormade V-Steel 7-wood
Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60
Yes Callie - bunch of lead tape on the bottom

What about amateurs who are a part of an OEM VIP program? If these players have the VIP access and play all clubs, balls, and accessories from that OEM are they still considered poseurs (posers)?

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I guess I am a bit of a mutt as well when it comes to the bag, but I would say it would currently, and I always preface a what's in the bag with currently slanted towards Titleist. The Woods area has firmly been TaylorMade for the lady bit though. In regards to hybrids I did not know other companies made them other than Adams? The irons currently are the AP2, but I have some I20's in the wings for the moment. The wedges are Vokey of course, and the putter is Odyssey. I mix that with an old Titleist bag, that way I can always at least justify it by having a sleeve of Pro V1s in the bag. The current ball goes to TaylorMade though as the Lethal is hard to beat. I guess in the real world I would have to have a Stewart Cink type contract to work it out?

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1391954994' post='8628573']
What about amateurs who are a part of an OEM VIP program? If these players have the VIP access and play all clubs, balls, and accessories from that OEM are they still considered poseurs (posers)?
[/quote]

I believe you are onto something. I know a golf shop owner who just stepped into Callaway's program. He replaced his Taylormade R1 with Bertha, Miura with Apex/Apex Pro and Mack Daddy wedges. Those poor baby blades are just sitting there!

I think we are coming close to reaching the top of the mountain.

WITB Link

[quote name='lang30' timestamp='1391953868' post='8628519']
[quote name='Architect' timestamp='1391951553' post='8628377']

Talk me down!
[/quote]Go for it. Sweet looking bag, to house your new i25's. I have the 2013 white version and it looks awesome, but it definitely elevates poser/poseur status. Oh sorry, I was supposed to talk you down. Wrong site for that.
[/quote]

Who am I kidding. That's the answer I wanted.

The next question is do I just sit back and wait for Ping's contract proposal to show up, or should I send them a bag pic first?

WITB Link

[/quote]

It's odd how we don't perceive ourselves as being free advertising for major companies, isn't it?

Last year I was looking at some nice golf shirts in a local pro shop. All had the course's name embroidered into either a logo on the sleeve or upper left chest.

I don't like it when courses sell clothes with their name on it. I don't want to be free advertising for a business.

Yet at Xmas I bought three Taylormade hats at Golftown.

I'm only come close to being a "poser" in the winters here in wisco. I come on this site and see a sweet set of irons and then a nice set of wood from same oem in differenent ads and then i research reviews of them and then I am like well they make really great driver and wedges and wow they just came out with a sweet new bag and i picture an all "fill in the blank( ping )" bag bag all new and ready to go for spring golf and I'll think about this sweet setup for a day or two and then find another brand to build in my mind! I have done it three times for real in the last 18months nike,TM,and all cally then I ho some clubs and realize i will never be paid by said company and play mixed bags 90% of the season and then winter strikes again!

Those new i25's are awesome and the new karsten putters look great, oh and I really liked those gorge wedges when I had them in my bag for like 4 rounds and traded them in.........

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1391912052' post='8626593']
I think you can play all one company and not be a poser. A real poser is the guy decked out head to toe with blades and staff bag and hits it all over the park carding a beautiful 108. That same guy comes on here and chimes in on the obligatory "should I play blades" thread claiming how it doesn't affect his game, ball striking is his forte and it's the putting and driving that really hurt him.
[/quote]LMAO, outside of OP's post, which is Classic, THIS is the best, LMAO-

The clincher for me, is the poser chiming in on the "blade vs. more forgivable irons" thread, LMAO

When their drives find the fairways, game over ;)

Great thread!!

Fairways & Greens My Friends

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I'm totally a verizon poser. Cell phone. Home phone. Internet. FiOS. Alarm. Ugh.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='BMC' timestamp='1391953415' post='8628485']
Posers: I will take my Play It Again Sports clubs while wearing my Kohl's buy one get one khakis and beat you like a drum.

Enjoy your petroleum based $70 performance shirt.
[/quote]

I was waiting for someone to puff their chest out and throw that out there. :)

[quote name='PDoN' timestamp='1391909382' post='8626353']
It's pretty easy to avoid when you're broke.
[/quote]

[/quote]THIS!!

This was actually said to me by our Pro, as when he knew that he had "arrived."

He went on to earn The PGA Pro of the Year in 1987, and did amazing things for Junior Golf especially.

Anyway, I passed on having this on my bag, though I guess in the end, it's an individual thing, though I'll never forget my Pro's look in his eyes when he showed me his first Staff bag, which he kept behind his desk and kept extra clubs in.

He was as proud of that as any trophy on the shelf-

I know that you visit the site, and if you happen to see this Gary, God Bless and I hope all's well-

My #s (four one two)eight nine seven-five one two nine-

Fairways & Greens My Friends

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24