2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

That shot will keep you coming back !

BrianL99

How many times have we all heard that refrain, after playing 17 lousy holes of golf and getting dumb lucky on the 18th hole?

The more golf I play and particular the more time I spend on this board, the more I'm convinced that's what golf is about. We get more enjoyment out of that one "perfect" shot and can forget all the lousy ones that preceded.

The typical handicap golfer doesn't seem to really care what his score is, he cares what he looks like while he's making his bogeys. Before I go any further, I'm going to add the disclaimer, I'm infected with the same disease. I bought 2 brand new golf bags last year, that I didn't need ... I loved the colors. I have 2 sets of PING Anser irons, because I like the way they look. The Ansers don't play any better than my I20's that cost half the price. I care about my score, but I'm not moving up to the Sr. Tees to improve it.

So at what point in the golf continuum does "score" become the over riding goal?

Many of us could play much better with clubs suited to our abilities. Not to re-hash the blades vs everything else, but there are clubs that are easier to hit.

Titleist ProV1's are great balls, but does the average club player who complains about paying $60/round in Greens Fees, need balls that cost $4/each?

Do any of us save a stroke per round, by using a $300 Scotty Cameron putter or a $200 Vokey Wedge?

But it's more than the equipment. I said in another thread, that most anyone with a modicum of ability should be able to play in the single digit range, yet less than 32% of golfers with handicaps, fall into that range. Add in the golfers who don't have handicaps and single-digits handicappers probably represent less than 15% of the golfers in the USA.

Why aren't more of us in single digits?

We don't really place "score" at the top of our priority list. We take more satisfaction in the long, faded Tee Shot, that skirts the water hazard and gently falls back toward the fairway. We revel in the cut Pitching Wedge to a tucked pin behind the bunker, when we could have punched an easy 9 iron to the center of the green. Our score is probably going to end up the same, but we love the moment of glory when the high PW settles out of sight, behind the bunker. For a moment in time we dream that PW ended up in the hole or within kick in range. In reality, we're usually 12' away and we're going to 2 putt anyway.

How often do we see 15 handicappers trying to hit a 3 wood to a small, Par 5 green? How often do they make Birdie vs a Bogey (or worse).

Is it ego or simply an inability to understand that golf at the level most of us play, is all about minimizing errors and not about making great shots?

I suppose at the level of a PGA Tour Winner and surely at the level of a Web.com guy trying to make the Tour, there's more room for great shots and controlled aggressiveness. It's interesting that Haney opted to title his book about Tiger, "The Big Miss". He could have named it "Shots of Greatness", but Haney knows that the misses are more important than the home runs.

I've always been amazed by scores at my Club, when the Stroke Play Championships comes along. The Scratch guys are struggling to break 80 and everyone seems to get bunched in the 76-82 range. It never fails that some young gun under 20 will throw up a good number. Why do the grownups struggle?

My theory is that most of us are so concerned with how we look shooting 78 or 82, we don't get enough practice at "shooting a number". Even the guys who can't break 90, want to look "cool" while shooting 96. We spend the majority of our golf time, hoping for that "in the zone" round, when our attempts at glory shots come together and we shoot our career best. We want to fly a 7 Iron at the pin, when a knock down 5 iron that bounces in there, will work even better. We spend way too much time trying to hit shots like we see on TV, than hitting a shot that will give us our best opportunity to minimize our score.

There are striking similarities between the motorcycle world and the golf world. I used to run one of the largest motorcycle discussion groups, back when the Internet was in its infancy. The forged vs cast or blades vs GI battles on here, couldn't hold a candle to the Harley-Davidson vs everything else battles on a motorcycle forum. There are motorcycles that are much faster and more powerful than Harley-Davidsons. There are more comfortable bikes and there are more dependable bikes. There are certainly more practical ones. One might argue that a BMW or a Ducati is even "classier" than a Harley-Davidson.

In a review of motorcycle cruisers a few years back, after the author compared all the big and expensive bikes, he concluded with this sentence:

"Forget the BMW's and everything else, when you absolutely, positively want to score with the prettiest girl in the room, you better be the guy riding the Harley-Davidson".

It seems the vast majority of us golfers are riding the Harley-Davidson, instead of worrying about the our real goal, which should be to shoot the lowest score we can.

(I'm not speaking of the guys who play vintage equipment and/or play just for their personal enjoyment and don't really care if they score 120 or 71 ... that's a horse of a different color.)

OK, so I'm bored again.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that the lower your handicap the closer you do pay to your handicap. For me Im always looking to drop lower scores. My handicap has improved from a 6.4 to a 4.9. That to me is a positive. If I shoot in the high 70's, I am extremely disappointed. I dont worry too much about clubs because after 16 years of trial and error I have settled on my "gamers". Its now about self improvement thru practice and not necessarily depending on a club to fix my scores. For me the thing that makes me coming back is the want to improve and proving to myself that my practice is actually making a difference. For those of you out there looking for a quick fix, hit the short game section of the golf course before you start your round. Work on those up and down chips that let two or three strokes slide by. Work on that putting stroke that enables you to have the confidence to miss a green or two. What makes me come back is having my damn chip for up and down get so close my foursome gives it to me. Haaa haaa.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I disagree. I don't think the average golfer is even aware of how bad he looks most of the time. ;)

I think the issue is the same in golf as it is in virtually every other activity.

People want the max result for the least amount of effort while at the same time feigning the contrary. Oh and they want it yesterday.

The only thing pulling off the one in a million shot does is to blind the player from the truth for one more day.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1392085921' post='8641231']
[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1392085827' post='8641211']
The only thing pulling off the one in a million shot does is to blind the player from the truth for one more day.

[/quote]

I could have saved about an hour's worth of thinking & typing, just by using your one sentence.
[/quote]

Sorry. Been writing a paper all day...I'm clean out of wordz. :)

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

For me Brian it's all about the score, which includes flushing that shot(s). :-)

I have no ego...I leave that at home. Golf is a game that requires patience and respect...for oneself and the course.

I'm not into going out and playing with a bunch of guys and drinking beer and what not. Sure, I enjoy the social aspect, but when it's my turn to take my shot I do my best to execute that shot. :-)

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1392086818' post='8641345']
For me Brian it's all about the score, which includes flushing that shot(s). :-)

I have no ego...I leave that at home. Golf is a game that requires patience and respect...for oneself and the course.

I'm not into going out and playing with a bunch of guys and drinking beer and what not. Sure, I enjoy the social aspect, but when it's my turn to take my shot I do my best to execute that shot. :-)
[/quote]

You're the exception Sean, in spite of playing blades.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1392087417' post='8641407']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've was gifted a set...so we'll see what happens. :-)

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1392087599' post='8641439']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

When the season starts, come on up & we'll MOI match 'em & see how that goes.

Brian,

I'm impressed by your fortitude. How you continue to churn out these threads is beyond me. Thank you for stimulating dialogue and filling my time in the dead of winter.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1392087647' post='8641451']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1392087599' post='8641439']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

When the season starts, come on up & we'll MOI match 'em & see how that goes.
[/quote]

That sounds good Brian...thank you!

Of course 'that shot' helps keep us coming back. It is those exceptional moments that are lodged in the memory, that we savour, that we hold close, that can give us a real sense of joy. The typical and the common place blur with the rest of the typical and average moments, where it is difficult to distinguish one from the other. That's just normal. There is no indictment to make off of the back of that. There is no shortcoming.

Lets say I go out and shoot 82, 82, 82. Yup. Got me some numbers there. Well I hit 10 fairways one round, 9 greens one round, and had 30 putts another round. Umm, ok. Now what? On their own we just have some boring numbers. Now how about that bunker to bunker sandy? That was funny and cool! And that approach shot where it hit the back stop perfectly and rolled back to 2 feet. Awesome! Those sure 'keep you coming back' we all say to one another - or at least the congenial folks I'm lucky to golf with most of the time say.

If you cannot find one or two moments a round that bring you a brief burst of happiness and you cannot take that with you the rest of the round or have it be something that makes you want to play again, well for someone who plays as much golf as you do, that's unfortunate.

----------------------------------
Oh and while this doesn't really fit with my reply, it's difficult to overlook its disingenuousness:

[quote]It's interesting that Haney opted to title his book about Tiger, "The Big Miss". He could have named it "Shots of Greatness", but Haney knows that the misses are more important than the home runs.[/quote]

Hardly. I'm sure Haney had next to nothing to do with the title of the book. [i]The Big Miss[/i] alludes to the the backroom gossip and negative tabloid fodder that shifts units. The bits released before the book was available for sale just served to drive that line of thought as well. The publishing company knows negativity sells, hence the name.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1392088123' post='8641517']
Brian,

I'm impressed by your fortitude. How you continue to churn out these threads is beyond me. Thank you for stimulating dialogue and filling my time in the dead of winter.
[/quote]

It's winter, someone has to do it.

How many more "Should I use iron covers" threads do we want to read?

[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1392085827' post='8641211']
I disagree. I don't think the average golfer is even aware of how bad he looks most of the time. ;)

I think the issue is the same in golf as it is in virtually every other activity.

People want the max result for the least amount of effort while at the same time feigning the contrary. Oh and they want it yesterday.

[/quote]

I couldn't agree more.

There's a similarity to golf and bodybuilding - look at a bodybuilding forum, and the vast majority of posts/topics are in the supplements forum. Golf forum, it's equipment. What do they have in common? Hoping that the next supplement or piece of equipment will take you to the next level, when in fact what you need is hours upon hours of dedication and hard work.

Not everyone fits into this category, of course, but a lot do.

Personallly, I will buy new equipment every once in awhile because I like how it looks and plays, but I am not under the impression that it will make me a better golfer.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1392099153' post='8642479']

----------------------------------
Oh and while this doesn't really fit with my reply, it's difficult to overlook its disingenuousness:

[quote]It's interesting that Haney opted to title his book about Tiger, "The Big Miss". He could have named it "Shots of Greatness", but Haney knows that the misses are more important than the home runs.[/quote]

Hardly. I'm sure Haney had next to nothing to do with the title of the book. [i]The Big Miss[/i] alludes to the the backroom gossip and negative tabloid fodder that shifts units. The bits released before the book was available for sale just served to drive that line of thought as well. The publishing company knows negativity sells, hence the name.
[/quote]

I agree, we all need that "just like Tiger did" shot ... makes it all worthwhile.

& I basically agree with you on Haney's title, but the sentiment is the basis of what I was trying to say.

[b]It's the "great shot" that defines our perception of how we played, [/b][b]but we should realize that it's the "big miss" that defines our scoring. [/b]

This thread is based on the premise that "the score" is, or should be, the ultimate goal of the golfing experience. As that premise is an opinion, there are other opinions can be explored.
While "the score" is essential to tournament play, playing with bets involved, or some other competitive format where numbers are used to evaluate the experience it is a rather shallow measure (IMO).

On the course there is the golf process and the golf product. Sometimes those factors coincide, other times they do not. Some folks can enjoy and concentrate on the process and leave the product to the vagaries of the game.

For example, the hole-by-hole score is recorded and posted for a handicap but I seldom have a clue about the final score except by reflecting about how the overall golfing process played out during the round. The tradition of checking the score after nine holes is just not a priority. The old canard, "It is what it is" seems appropriate here.

There are times when I play well while scoring poorly and vice-versa. The focus is always on playing well within my definition of the concept. Ball striking, penalties, recoveries, chipping, and putting are the measures. These are the "keeps me coming back" factors.

A poorly played hole or round is a process failure regardless of the numerical value. Granted, a well-played hole is more likely to result in process/product success. But it is the experience, the journey, that defines golf. It is the path that is continuous and enlightening. The score is but an instant of knowledge that attempts to quantify a complex occurrence.

Just a divergent opinion.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

[quote name='GWD' timestamp='1392130660' post='8643737']
This thread is based on the premise that "the score" is, or should be, the ultimate goal of the golfing experience. As that premise is an opinion, there are other opinions can be explored.
While "the score" is essential to tournament play, playing with bets involved, or some other competitive format where numbers are used to evaluate the experience it is a rather shallow measure (IMO).

On the course there is the golf process and the golf product. Sometimes those factors coincide, other times they do not. Some folks can enjoy and concentrate on the process and leave the product to the vagaries of the game.

For example, the hole-by-hole score is recorded and posted for a handicap but I seldom have a clue about the final score except by reflecting about how the overall golfing process played out during the round. The tradition of checking the score after nine holes is just not a priority. The old canard, "It is what it is" seems appropriate here.

There are times when I play well while scoring poorly and vice-versa. The focus is always on playing well within my definition of the concept. Ball striking, penalties, recoveries, chipping, and putting are the measures. These are the "keeps me coming back" factors.

A poorly played hole or round is a process failure regardless of the numerical value. Granted, a well-played hole is more likely to result in process/product success. But it is the experience, the journey, that defines golf. It is the path that is continuous and enlightening. The score is but an instant of knowledge that attempts to quantify a complex occurrence.

Just a divergent opinion.
[/quote]

I don't think that's really divergent and I specifically mentioned people who play with the attitude you describe. To a certain extent, I'm the same way. There are plenty of days I don't really care what I shoot ... it's about being there and hitting shots.

I generally shoot right above a "legit" 90. I'm having the most difficult time getting below it, consistently---and I find it extremely frustrating. Sunday saw a 42 on the front---followed by a horrendous back. It's the desire to shoot lower scores that keeps me motivated to practice, play, etc--I want to be scratch or better---the score motivates me. My current challenge is one or two "blow up" holes (can you say "nuclear"?). I get out of position at the wrong time/wrong place, and the round is ruined, and my goal evades me once again.

However, that nice shot doesn't hurt one bit, as it's the immediate satisfaction of the time invested.

Callaway X2 Driver
Callaway X2 4W & Hybrid
Mizuno 850 forged irons, KBS CT Light
Cleveland 588RTX Black 50, 55, 60 (bent to MY standards...'sup?)
Callway Chrome Soft
Taylormade C79 Putter

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1392119023' post='8642855']

[b]It's the "great shot" that defines our perception of how we played, [/b][b]but we should realize that it's the "big miss" that defines our scoring. [/b]
[/quote]

I definitely like the second part of that :) And that except for the rare outlier round of a bunch of birdies, there are definitely more bad shots that define scoring over 18 than good.

But unfortunately the great shot doesn't do enough to cloud my view on how the round was overall, it maybe helps define the perception of how much joy I get from the round though.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Your post contained a lot of different ideas and thoughts, I will just address the title. First off thank God for shots that keep us coming back, there is enough bad in a round of golf that without the occassion great we would quit.

I read an article 5 - 6 years ago that took a huge poll of golfers asking them what was most important to their enjoyment of the game - a good score or hitting the ball well. Over 75% said hitting the ball well. So for the vast majority of recreational golfers scoring is not the most imprtant thing. This is because most are above bogie golfers and do not and cannot consistently score well.

The great shot is instant gratification personified, it is orgasmic. Nobody remembers or braggs about their conservative lay up off the tee. The high towering drive over trees to cut the dogleg is the one that you carry to bed with you and lulls you into a beautifully blissful sleep.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[i]How many times have we all heard that refrain, after playing 17 lousy holes of golf and getting dumb lucky on the 18th hole? [/i]
[b]I like to say I have 18 lousy holes followed by a great 19th hole![/b]

[i]The typical handicap golfer doesn't seem to really care what his score is, he cares what he looks like while he's making his bogeys. [/i]
[b]As my brother says "if your gonna suck on the course, dress good and be funny!"[/b]

[i]I have 2 sets of PING Anser irons, because I like the way they look. The Ansers don't play any better than my I20's that cost half the price. [/i]
[b]CORRECT, your playing an iron that YOU like, even if they were slightly geared towards a slightly better player, they fit YOUR eye. My TM300 irons are not really for a mid-teen hdcp like myself but I LOVE the way they look and I can hit them pretty solid as good if not better then irons that are slightly more forgiving.[/b]

[i]So at what point in the golf continuum does "score" become the over riding goal?[/i]
[b]If your the typical family guy who gets out <12 times getting to play is more about the time with your buddies to play and less concerned about the actual score. Do I WANT to play well every time? Of Course but I heard a GREAT 1 liner. "I can't get mad at bad play because I'm not good enough to!"[/b]

[i]Do any of us save a stroke per round, by using a $300 [url="http://viglink.pgpartner.com/mrdr.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fviglink.pgpartner.com%2Fsearch.php%2Fform_keyword%3Dscotty%2Bcameron&mode="]Scotty Cameron[/url] putter or a $200 Vokey Wedge?[/i]
[b]Why do we need to spend $40.00 on a steak when the $14.99 Outback Special tastes pretty good too? Because we can![/b]

[i]How often do we see 15 handicappers trying to hit a 3 wood to a small, Par 5 green?[/i]
[b]Because you ride till she bucks ya or you don't ride at all !![/b]

[i]Even the guys who can't break 90, want to look "cool" while shooting 96. [/i]
[b]Not about being cool for me, its not giving 2 craps what others think about me/my game.[/b]

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

[quote name='OrangeCrush' timestamp='1392304225' post='8659073']
[i]How many times have we all heard that refrain, after playing 17 lousy holes of golf and getting dumb lucky on the 18th hole? [/i]

[i]The typical handicap golfer doesn't seem to really care what his score is, he cares what he looks like while he's making his bogeys. [/i]
[b]As my brother says "if your gonna suck on the course, dress good and be funny!"[/b]

[/quote]

Mike, you're the poster child for remembering the great shots in a round and not having a real clear recollection of the 8 iron shank on 12 :)

When you play as infrequently as you've played recently, that's just how the game should be.

I'm going FL on Thursday, can you get a Hall Pass?

It is all about dopamine!!!!!!!!!!

Random reinforcement is the basis of both gambling and golf addiction looking for that next high.

[url="http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB118133845805529506"]http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB118133845805529506[/url]

[url="http://www.balancepointgolf.com/index.php/golf-instruction-golf-coaching/teaching-philosphy/22-golf-schools-game-improvement"]http://www.balancepointgolf.com/index.php/golf-instruction-golf-coaching/teaching-philosphy/22-golf-schools-game-improvement[/url]

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1392304463' post='8659109']
[quote name='OrangeCrush' timestamp='1392304225' post='8659073']

[/quote]

Mike, you're the poster child for remembering the great shots in a round and not having a real clear recollection of the 8 iron shank on 12 :)

When you play as infrequently as you've played recently, that's just how the game should be.

I'm going FL on Thursday, can you get a Hall Pass?
[/quote]

#1 I do all my shanking on the front 9, on the back 9 I am in a groove! LOL
#2, I just can't take this game to seriously... I am not curing cancer! I actually don't take LIFE that seriously, we have YEARS of exchanging good barbs and 90% of the time I am laughing at them as well, the other 10% I am calling NSFW words! LMAO!
3. Your a little off on your time. I lose the kids tomorrow for Feb vacation and get them back 2/21 so I wish I could but I can't. My landlords, who are like an Aunt & Uncle, bought a house in Port Charlotte a year ago, they went down in Nov for 5 weeks but she has taken seriously ill and has not been able to return back, he is chomping at the bit to get back down and tells me all the time to go use his house. She has almost lost her leg 2x due to infections in her foot.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]