Now that it's legal, Going to use a rangefinder?

easyyy

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one down in FL and found that it hurt me more than it helped me... I guess I like my instincts better.... :dntknw:

I had one down in FL and found that it hurt me more than it helped me... I guess I like my instincts better.... :drinks:

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

Absolutely - been using one since 1996. Anyone that says that they are not, what do you do on a par 3 or do you step off the yardage? What is the difference? The pros have the exact yardage, they have the location of the pin, and they have the slope profile on the green. This evens it up just a bit, but their caddie and pin sheet are far more than a rangefinder.

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

Question: Are those scope/binocular rangefinders included in this rule? Just wondering. Eventually, i'll buy a rangefinder, just not now. I do really need to get more exact with my distances instead of just eyeballing it. Just asking about the scope kind because I was thinking about buying one for $20 bucks.

I wouldn't use one. I see it as a waste of money considering I am pretty good at pacing off yardages anyway. Like JHR I see pacing yardages as part of my routine and would be uncomfortable changing.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

I'm so thrilled about this new ruling, I feel it will help my game tremendously. I used to worry whether the distance was 148 yards or 150 yards, should I hit a full 6 iron or a soft 5 iron, but now with the technology of the range finder, and it becoming legall, I've finally laid that all to rest now. Either it's a full 6 iron or a soft 5 iron. :dntknw:

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

slope is a no-no rules wise...so no slope for me

are the bushnell rangefinders w/ slope illegal? I wasnt aware that they were not allowed.

If this is true then Bushnell should call this out on their site in bold print. I was on it last week looking around for a Christmas gift and they had nothing mentioning that. All legal and green lights looking around there.

The Committee may, by Local Rule, permit the use of devices that measure distance only (i.e., the device may not be used to measure other conditions such as wind-speed or the slope of the ground). (Decision 14-3/0.5)

14-3/0.5 Local Rule Permitting Use of Distance-Measuring Device

Q. May a Committee, by Local Rule, permit the use of distance-measuring devices?

A. Yes. A Committee may establish a Local Rule allowing players to use devices that measure distance only. However, the use of devices that gauge or measure other conditions that might affect a player’s play (e.g., wind or gradient) is not permitted. In the absence of such a Local Rule, the use of a distance-measuring device would be contrary to Rule 14-3. (New)

NOW I am 100% sure.. slope is no good I bolded the part you need to know. I agree all BUSHNELL should make that very clear on their website.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

No, I don't think I'll be using a range finder. If the golf course is anything of decent condition, it should be fairly well marked. Besides, as a lot of other people mentioned, I base a shot off the distanced walked as well as how it looks. When know purely the distance and rely solely on that, I think you forget about the other variables. So with that, I think I'll be staying away from the rangefinders.

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b][color=#000000]Titleist TS3 10.5[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 9.2 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist TS3 13.5[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Aldila NV 95 x-flex[/color]--[color=#000000]-Titleist TS3 18.0[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Fujikura Fit-On Pro 95 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #3[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #5-#9[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]--[color=#000000]-Vokey SM7 46.10 F Grind[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 52.12 F Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 56.10 S Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 60.04 L Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Newport II[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Newport 2.5 350g.[/color] [color=#000000]welded neck[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Concept 2.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist ProV1x[/color][/b][/font][/size]

I will probably get a sky caddie or some other GPS device, not so much for yardage to the green, but for the yardage to any hazards off the tee. That's where I think these devices become valuable. Almost every course is well marked to the center of the green, but how many are marked for distance off the tee to a fairway bunker, or a pond? I think this ruling by the USGA could be huge.

No I won't be using one, you have to keep in mind this allows for a local rule to allow the use of these such measuring devices (I do use bushnells in practice rounds to draw out yardage books) however; after reading it appears as though any serious tournament will still follow strict usga rules and will therefore not permit the use of the range finder under said local rule. I know none of the usga sanctioned amateur events, or anything along those lines will permit it and neither will any of the college tournaments, so do keep in mind that the local rule must be in effect for it to even be considered a thought as to whether or not you will use one. For this reason I wont be using a rangefinder during competition. Just remember everyone check b4 you use them bc it is a local rule.

I have both the skycaddie and a Bushnell range finder. I like the skyCaddie if the course is charted properly, but I still have to do some work with it. I found that the course I went to Senior Euro Q-School this was not available on the Skycaddie so it was of no help during my practice round. Also the Skycaddie once you have bought your unit you have to pay each year to renew your service and download courses. There are competing devices to Skycaddie. When I went to play Pebble Beach, my Skycaddie was no use to me as I could not get the map from Skygolf as they were not contracted with Pebble to provide the course map even though they had one. Pebble had a different GPS system that they wanted me to use at their own special fee. Now that the GPS systems are legal you are going to see this more and more, it becomes a revenue point for golf courses.

The Bushnell rangefinder (Non slope unit which is illegal) is much easier to use but you can pick up the trees behind the flag, or something it sees that you dont see, then your yardages are off. I had a 40 yard shot to a tucked pin once in a tournament (Tightlies allowed yardage devices) and the range finder gave me 65 yards, So I hit it 65 and landed in the lake behind the flag. Not good.

In the USA most of the newer courses have very good yardages, I have found the older courses, quite a few of the private courses, have few markers or only 100, 150, 200 in the middle of the fairway. Many are starting to rely on the GPS system on the cart. You watch in the next 10 years very few new courses will have yardage markers, especially with courses catering more to the recreational golfer and making golf carts mandatory. In my part of Florida is is becoming increasingly difficult to play a course and be allowed to walk. Pace of play is one problem, and the income courses are making off the cart fees is another. $30 for 2 people to rent a cart for 18 holes, I can rent a car with unlimited mileage through Hertz for less.

In Portugal I found the there were very few yardage markers on the courses, but the players there are accustomed to walking so the hustle around the course and finding the yardages does not slow down play.

In South Africa the course I belonged to (Port Elizabeth Golf Club) added yardage markers to the sprinklers by attaching aluminum plates to the sprinklers, only to find that inside a month they had been stolen and apparently sold for the value of the metal.

Sorry about being long winded, but will I use a range finder, absolutely yes, besides it does speed up play. by about 10 minutes per side, according to stats.

Happy new year

il be getting the bushnell 1500 whatever so i can make yardage books in practice rounds for tourneys.

Dan "goose" :)

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

with slope is illegal, no slope is okay according to ?golf digest?--think thats where i heard it...

Doesnt matter for me slope or no slope bc in tourneys they strill wont be allowed...id only be using it for practice rounds.

DaN "goose" :)

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2