Ball Test - Golf magazine

danimal

[quote name='BEND OF THE RIVER GC' post='858180' date='Jan 10 2008, 06:25 PM'][b]QUOTE:[/b] [color="#708090"]Putting so much merit in these articles is why the average joe stays average (or below). FWIW I don't even play the Nike One Platinum, so I was not defending it. I don't care what is hot listed. I care about my score and playing what works.
To the few who now have pissed me off, keep playing the ball listed as *hot* or top of their magazines *list* and , in no particular order, wearing your belt towel, playing driver to putter (with iron covers) from the same manufacturer(bag matching) ,in your staff bag, with 50' ball retriever, shooting in the 90's and saying your short game keeps you from scratch, hitting an inch behind the ball, and all the other things that scream HACK! Due to your ignorance , you deserve it. [/color] [b]QUOTE[/b]

[b][color="#FF8C00"]It might do you some good to check out your Dr.'s "Hotlist" of [i]Sertonin Reuptake Inhibitors"[/color][/i]...[/b] :)

The GOLF magazine ball test had some good information as a "starting point" to assist with ball choice...if you know and really understand your game you'll end up picking similar stuff that s on their list anyway.[/quote]BOTR made the best point of all. This is not definitive ball recommendation for everyone that falls into these two broad categories, but moreover, simply a place that someone with numbers that somewhat fall into each range can start looking at in order to find the optimum ball for their games. I wish golf magazines had more informative articles like this instead of some of the usual drivel that permeates most golf magazines nowadays. Take the article for what it is, good information, and then conduct your own tests. The info in the article should at the very least provide you with a reasonable starting point, which I assume is the intention of the article to begin with.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ck7000' post='865011' date='Jan 15 2008, 02:06 PM']Anyone know what driver was used in the Golf Magazine test?

This will affect spin rates and distance. Maybe the poster who knows the Golf Magazine editor can confirm the driver brand. I cannot confirm, but I heard it was a 10.5 degree Taylor Made Superquad.

Anyone agree that we should not assume the Taylor Made balls will give everyone with a 90 MPH driver swing speed the best distance? Wouldn't the brand of driver have an impact?[/quote]

Yeah I think for sure you could get different results based on your driver and exact swing characteristics. However, I think it is a good starting point and gives you the general ball parks the balls are going to fall in.

[quote name='ck7000' post='865011' date='Jan 15 2008, 11:06 AM']Anyone agree that we should not assume the Taylor Made balls will give everyone with a 90 MPH driver swing speed the best distance? Wouldn't the brand of driver have an impact?[/quote]

No. It's *relative*. Sure you might just find some inversion at the extremes but it should stay the same. If your swing or driver imparts more (or less) spin or distance to one ball then, in all probability, it will impart more (or less) spin or distance to the other balls.

[quote name='ApexGrind' post='865673' date='Jan 15 2008, 10:10 PM'][quote name='ck7000' post='865011' date='Jan 15 2008, 11:06 AM']Anyone agree that we should not assume the Taylor Made balls will give everyone with a 90 MPH driver swing speed the best distance? Wouldn't the brand of driver have an impact?[/quote]

No. It's *relative*. Sure you might just find some inversion at the extremes but it should stay the same. If your swing or driver imparts more (or less) spin or distance to one ball then, in all probability, it will impart more (or less) spin or distance to the other balls.

[/quote]

Thanks...I see what you are saying...It would still be nice to see how the balls react to different drivers though...i.e. Do Callaway balls perform better with a Callaway driver? Titleist with Titleist? etc. etc.

Still haven't gotten an answer to this: Anyone know what type of driver was used in this test?

Thanks.

For those of you that do not have the actual magazine in hand,the ball test is now on the www.golf.com website.

Most of your questions can be answered by viewing that site.

BTW, I was suprised the NXT-Tour was shown to be pretty good all around ball.I tried the E5+ before the test and I really like the e5+ but I played a round with the the NXT-Tour a few days ago and like it also.

I think one of these two balls is going to be my ball to "hopefully" stick with for this year.

I've tried a lot of different balls the past few months and I think it has hurt my game so I'm going to find something and stick with it.

Callaway Rouge 10.5

Rouge 3 wood

XR hybrid 19*

4-LW XR irons

White Hot 1

[quote name='jswjr' post='866215' date='Jan 16 2008, 09:55 AM']For those of you that do not have the actual magazine in hand,the ball test is now on the www.golf.com website.

Most of your questions can be answered by viewing that site.[/quote]

Thanks! No surprise that the Taylor Made balls were the longest in the driver test...driver was indeed a 10.5 degreee TM Superquad.

Still, an overall great analysis and starting point for ball selection. I look forward to doing my own test!

[quote name='ck7000' post='866234' date='Jan 16 2008, 06:14 AM'][quote name='jswjr' post='866215' date='Jan 16 2008, 09:55 AM']For those of you that do not have the actual magazine in hand,the ball test is now on the www.golf.com website.

Most of your questions can be answered by viewing that site.[/quote]

Thanks! No surprise that the Taylor Made balls were the longest in the driver test...driver was indeed a 10.5 degreee TM Superquad.

Still, an overall great analysis and starting point for ball selection. I look forward to doing my own test!
[/quote]

Doh... I'm not being argumentative, really. I understand what you're thinking and I don't have the physics background to intelligently argue the point. (did you read the analysis that guy did on the discussion about whether the ball has a significant effect on producing a divot? that was a great thread!). It is a valid question but I doubt that drivers differ that much to make a difference. They all have (relatively) similar characteristics with respect to face hardness, trampoline effect, bulge, grooves, etc. I just don't think you could get a significant difference by designing a ball for a particular driver. On the other hand I do believe that swing speed, which would effect the compression of the ball, might have a significant effect. For example the more you compress a ball with a very thin/soft outer cover the less a factor that cover becomes.

[quote name='jswjr' post='866215' date='Jan 16 2008, 03:55 PM']For those of you that do not have the actual magazine in hand,the ball test is now on the www.golf.com website.

BTW, I was suprised the NXT-Tour was shown to be pretty good all around ball.I tried the E5+ before the test and I really like the e5+ but I played a round with the the NXT-Tour a few days ago and like it also.

I think one of these two balls is going to be my ball to "hopefully" stick with for this year.

I've tried a lot of different balls the past few months and I think it has hurt my game so I'm going to find something and stick with it.[/quote]

Can somebody post spinrates for these balls:

Srixon Trispeed, Bridgestone e5+ and e6+, TaylorMade Burner TP and HX Hot Bite

Thanks in advance

:)

[quote name='TUJJ' post='866680' date='Jan 16 2008, 03:32 PM']Can somebody post spinrates for these balls:

Thanks in advance

:)[/quote]

As jswjr stated they are online now. Here is the link: [url="http://www.golf.com/golf/special/0,30294,1703179,00.html"]http://www.golf.com/golf/special/0,30294,1703179,00.html[/url]

[quote name='TheHomez' post='866910' date='Jan 16 2008, 05:58 PM'][quote name='TUJJ' post='866680' date='Jan 16 2008, 03:32 PM']Can somebody post spinrates for these balls:

Thanks in advance

:)[/quote]

As jswjr stated they are online now. Here is the link: [url="http://www.golf.com/golf/special/0,30294,1703179,00.html"]http://www.golf.com/golf/special/0,30294,1703179,00.html[/url]
[/quote]

[quote name='TUJJ' post='866919' date='Jan 16 2008, 06:03 PM']There is now spinrate statistics or am I blind?[/quote]

Sorry just realized that the full article is not on the website. Kind of lame as it seems to be one large Titleist add on the site.

[quote name='TUJJ' post='866680' date='Jan 16 2008, 10:32 PM'][quote name='jswjr' post='866215' date='Jan 16 2008, 03:55 PM']For those of you that do not have the actual magazine in hand,the ball test is now on the www.golf.com website.

I've tried a lot of different balls the past few months and I think it has hurt my game so I'm going to find something and stick with it.[/quote]

Thanks in advance

:)
[/quote]

So, back to original question

Thanks in advance

:(

[quote name='TUJJ' post='867615' date='Jan 17 2008, 02:13 AM'][quote name='TUJJ' post='866680' date='Jan 16 2008, 10:32 PM'][quote name='jswjr' post='866215' date='Jan 16 2008, 03:55 PM']For those of you that do not have the actual magazine in hand,the ball test is now on the www.golf.com website.

Thanks in advance

:clapping:
[/quote]

So, back to original question

Thanks in advance

:cheesy:
[/quote]
Srixon Trispeed: 7,814 rpm
Bridgestone e5: 12,140 rpm
Bridgestone e6: 7,651 rpm
TM Burner TP: 10,894 rpm
Cally HX Hot Bite: 11,331 rpm

TUJJ,

To go along with the previous info I'll quote from the magazine:

"Golf Labs preset it's robot to swing a sand wedge at 76 mph swing speed, 80 mph ball speed, 38.5 degree launch angle and 10,500 rpm.

Results are based on these setup conditions and can differ with other setups.

The highest (or lowest) spin ball isn't automatically the best one for you, you still need to try the ball to see how it reacts. Your swing's angle of attack may cause the ball to behave differently than another swing would."

I think they did a great job on the test to give us a starting point. Will be picking up some e5+'s and TM Burner TP's myself.

[quote name='Mward2002' post='859471' date='Jan 11 2008, 04:55 PM']Yeah, but at $19.95 for a one time shot? I boo that, HEAVILY.[/quote]

Please tell me you are not going to fret over $20 dollars? If so, than you absolutly started the WRONG hobby because the days you do play golf your expendature is much more than that after you have paid for a new glove, green fees, tees, balls, food, drink, or gas to get to the course.

It is a small price to pay to fit yourself with the proper ball to improve, you may have already spent 5 x's that expirimenting over and over again! I will not assume but I know you can afford a 1 time fee of $20 bones for a ball fitting. It may benefit you and it may not but at least you gave it a shot.

And yes I agree, I wish I could have come up with the idea to market an accurate ball fitting system first!

[b][i](I will apologize before hand if this reply appears as argumentative, it certainly was not meant to be taken in that manner- Thanks - The Boom Bapp)[/i][/b]

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

[quote name='Brock' post='865106' date='Jan 15 2008, 03:11 PM']it is more useful as a good side by side comparison given all other parameters being equal...I think they did a fine job for a first go around and cant wait for next years.[/quote]

Brock, I noticed your a big fan of the Ignite ball, as am I. Its my go to ball for now. But after looking at these numbers it seems like the Ignite is out performed by the e5+ and AD333. Whats your thought on that? Both of those balls are longer, lower spin off the driver, and higher spin off the irons. Just wondering what your plans were after seeing this test? Did you use golfballselector.com to come up with the Ignites?

I personally found that the Ignite spun much more for me than the AD333 and the Ignite has much more feel off the irons than the AD333... Obviously my swing is way different than the robots, but still, after seeing these numbers i'm starting to second guess me findings... :clapping:

As the magazine states, you have to try a ball for yourself as your swing and angle of attack to the ball changes the out come. The Ignite worked very well for me this past season in the summer. It will be in the bag again. The AD333 was a great ball for me in the fall with the cooler weather. Stuck on the green just fine. Better results than the test might indicate for these balls because I don't have a perfect swing like the iron byron. Nothing here is written in stone. Play what works for your swing. If the Ignite works, play it. Many people like it alot.
I already know, so this gives some more options I will want to try with an open mind. Good luck and have fun.

[quote name='withdrew' post='868274' date='Jan 17 2008, 07:13 PM']Srixon Trispeed: 7,814 rpm
Cally HX Hot Bite: 11,331 rpm[/quote]
Oh dear, doesn't look good for Today's Golfer's numbers then. They had the Burner TP and Trispeed with the most wedge spin and the HX Hot Bite not even close. Of course they never had the e5/e6 in the test, since Bridgestone don't bother to market them in the UK.

[quote name='teak' post='869538' date='Jan 18 2008, 01:57 PM'][quote name='withdrew' post='868274' date='Jan 17 2008, 07:13 PM']Srixon Trispeed: 7,814 rpm
Cally HX Hot Bite: 11,331 rpm[/quote]
Oh dear, doesn't look good for Today's Golfer's numbers then. They had the Burner TP and Trispeed with the most wedge spin and the HX Hot Bite not even close. Of course they never had the e5/e6 in the test, since Bridgestone don't bother to market them in the UK.
[/quote]

Somehow BurnerTP and Trispeed results are still OK but Hx Hot bite spin results are confusing...

It's not the 20 dollars that I'm grumbling about. In this game, 20 dollars gets you a glove, or a box of noodles or Top Flite's. My gripe was that it's a one time thing. If I start getting better or stronger, and my distances get longer.. I have to spend another 20 dollars to see what I need now. At least with a glove, I can use that thing until it's filled with holes.

Now if it was a 20 dollar subscription for a year? I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

Btw, no hard feelings even if it was argumentative. It's an internet message board. Thin skinned people need not apply!

[quote name='danimal' post='851458' date='Jan 6 2008, 12:28 PM']Oh by the way the Target's here in Portland OR have TP Black and Red on sale for $20.98 dozen - great price. :clapping:[/quote]

My local Target in Houston had the TP Black and Red for $15. I bought 4 dozen. Never played them before but owrth trying for the price.

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm in Australia and for the life of me I can't seem to get a copy of this magazine.

Could someone pls post the ss 105 distance data for the e5+, NXT tour, gamer, tp burner and callaway hot bite.

If someone would like to sell me their old copy via ebay? That would be awesome as well.

thanks in advance