Titleist Pro V 2011. Any feedback.

golfnhack

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1298049146' post='2989863']
[quote name='desaille' timestamp='1297658261' post='2975120']
New Pro v1x feels and plays like a cally iz without the hex dimples & pop off the putter, lol.
[/quote]

Glad you dropped the iz's name. IMO Cally IZ is the best ball into the wind I have ever played. I stopped playing it bcuz I didnt like the short game feel.

Hows the new prov1X do in the wind?
[/quote]

new pro v1x is TONS better around the greens than the iz.

As far as wind seems find. But havent had much of wind these days. Heck we're just happy to be able to play.
When we get back from Bandon can def review how it performs in the wind.

Everybody relax, I’m here

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played both of the new Pro v1's over the late week/weekend. Here's what I found -

Pro V1 - Been looking for them to make one like this for a long time. Been a few years since the regular V1 spins more than the V1x with the right clubs. Flies lower than the new V1x off the tee, but doesn't seem to spin much more off of the tee, great wind ball. With irons, it flies on a strong, lower trajectory and is great for shaping shots with irons. Seems to shape better than a lot of balls that have been out lately. Feels great with wedges, and has a lot of wedge spin, with a great flight. Doesn't go way up in the air right off of the clubface. This is what Titleist has always gotten right, low launch wedges with spin and the best feel of anything out there. And this is only better than before.

Pro V1x - Wow, high launch, low spin driver bombs. I wasn't sure I would like this, but on the windy days I played I was shocked, the wind didn't touch this ball. Irons launch higher than the normal V1, this is a straghter ball. It just drops and stops with irons, excellent. Great thing is, it flies low with wedges with great spin. Less than the V1, but plenty. Great ball as well. Hit some of the longest drives I have in awhile and it was wet out.

Both great balls, both improved. Especially for those with the new grooved clubs. There is finally some noticeable seperation between the 2 golf ball models. The new V1 is really durable, more than the new V1x, which is still pretty good. But they are amazing in windy conditions. I try everything out there, and really liked the '09 V1x. Each ball seems to be on the opposite sides of that ball, which is great. I can still play my '09 X's if I want one in the middle ;)

My thoughts too.. The 09' Vlx was the better ball I think, but this cycle, I'm actually really liking the ProV1 more, after I've played several rounds with it. I have conforming irons, and like the way the V1 works with my irons. I agree on the workability factor, it seems to shape more/better, but could be a problem for those that struggle with too much side spin off the tee!

anyone else notice around the greens, the 2009 for me at least spun more.

I could hit the hop check stop dribble release (whatever that shot is called) all day with the 2009.
The 2011 it doesnt grab as hard and tends to release more.

as far as results, I've spent a fair amount of time and taken the same shot with both balls on our greens.
2009 just grabbed harder

Everybody relax, I’m here

I really enjoyed "testing" the prov before its release. However, it's foolish to me and a waste of cash to use my ball eating nike wedge on golf balls I pay for. It only takes one swing with that club to send a new ball to the shag bag...I have numerous clubs in my rotation that won't eat any ball, and give me the control I need. I'm really not trying to sound like an a**...I just don't want to spend crazy money on balls.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

I've come to the conclusion today that the ProV1x isn't much if any better in durability than previous models. Slightly, but they'll still get trashed with a clean sharp wedge.

The ProV1 however, IS much more durable than previous models. Doesn't seem to cut up as bad as the V1x does.

I think I'm going to make the switch. I actually found I gained some distance with the V1, and I get more spin which isn't a terrible thing, just have to be aware of the spin when your coming in with a short iron or wedge, and play for it.

Going to use up the new ProV1x's I have, and when I buy new balls, I'm going to buy the new ProV1's or use up my stock of old ProV1x's.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1302039192' post='3123371']
Has anyone compared the 2011 ProV1 compare to the 2007 version? I found the 2009 version to spin noticably less than the 2007 version, although it was slightly longer and straighter off the tee. I am hoping the 2011 will be the best of both.
[/quote]

and you measured these differing spin rates via what method / machine?

Played both the 2011 Pro V1 and Pro V1x. Both are harder (i.e., more clicky feeling) and I did not like this at first. Both are longer than 2009 models. Both spin less than 2009 models. I have found no durability problems in either (non-conforming XFT wedges). Fine off the putter. Pro V1x absolutely rocks in the wind. Have never played a better wind ball. Moved to the ZStar from 2009 Pro V last year after comparision testing (ProV sucked in the KS wind). Going back to Titleist balls. Want to take advantage of buy 3 get 1 free with my personalizaton. Need more greenside testing between the 2 before I decide to go V1x or not. Good balls.

[quote name='bsb70x7' timestamp='1302051701' post='3124076']
Played both the 2011 Pro V1 and Pro V1x. Both are harder (i.e., more clicky feeling) and I did not like this at first. Both are longer than 2009 models. Both spin less than 2009 models. I have found no durability problems in either (non-conforming XFT wedges). Fine off the putter. Pro V1x absolutely rocks in the wind. Have never played a better wind ball. Moved to the ZStar from 2009 Pro V last year after comparision testing (ProV sucked in the KS wind). Going back to Titleist balls. Want to take advantage of buy 3 get 1 free with my personalizaton. Need more greenside testing between the 2 before I decide to go V1x or not. Good balls.
[/quote]

Interesting take on the balls. Quite opposite of everything Titleist says, and more than half opposite of what everyone has found.

Just curious, but what makes you think they are harder and spin less? They specifically made them softer, AND spin more because of the groove changes. Durability got worse on the V1x, and better on V1 because it's softer, and suffers less shear.

Could be longer, because of the higher ball flight. I just really like how I don't suffer in "moderate" wind.. Because I played in 30MPH wind yesterday and NO ball would help, but the V1 held it's line better it seemed.

[quote name='sleded' timestamp='1298340305' post='2999029']
I played both of the new Pro v1's over the late week/weekend. Here's what I found -

Pro V1 - Been looking for them to make one like this for a long time. Been a few years since the regular V1 spins more than the V1x with the right clubs. Flies lower than the new V1x off the tee, but doesn't seem to spin much more off of the tee, great wind ball. With irons, it flies on a strong, lower trajectory and is great for shaping shots with irons. Seems to shape better than a lot of balls that have been out lately. Feels great with wedges, and has a lot of wedge spin, with a great flight. Doesn't go way up in the air right off of the clubface. This is what Titleist has always gotten right, low launch wedges with spin and the best feel of anything out there. And this is only better than before.

Pro V1x - Wow, high launch, low spin driver bombs. I wasn't sure I would like this, but on the windy days I played I was shocked, the wind didn't touch this ball. Irons launch higher than the normal V1, this is a straghter ball. It just drops and stops with irons, excellent. Great thing is, it flies low with wedges with great spin. Less than the V1, but plenty. Great ball as well. Hit some of the longest drives I have in awhile and it was wet out.

Both great balls, both improved. Especially for those with the new grooved clubs. There is finally some noticeable seperation between the 2 golf ball models. The new V1 is really durable, more than the new V1x, which is still pretty good. But they are amazing in windy conditions. I try everything out there, and really liked the '09 V1x. Each ball seems to be on the opposite sides of that ball, which is great. I can still play my '09 X's if I want one in the middle ;)
[/quote]

Thanks...I haven't tried the V1 but have hit the V1X and found the same results you did...great ball.

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1302062601' post='3124776']
[quote name='bsb70x7' timestamp='1302051701' post='3124076']
[/quote]

Interesting take on the balls. Quite opposite of everything Titleist says, and more than half opposite of what everyone has found.

Just curious, but what makes you think they are harder and spin less? They specifically made them softer, AND spin more because of the groove changes. Durability got worse on the V1x, and better on V1 because it's softer, and suffers less shear.

Could be longer, because of the higher ball flight. I just really like how I don't suffer in "moderate" wind.. Because I played in 30MPH wind yesterday and NO ball would help, but the V1 held it's line better it seemed.
[/quote]

Just hit a 2009 Pro V1 and 2011 Pro V1 into a green with wedges. You will feel the difference. Apples and Oranges. Spin definitely is less. Talked to my pro (Titleist endorsement) in detail about the balls trying to figure out which one I should order (3+1 deal), He confimed my observations about the balls. Not looking for you to agree with me. I do not know what your swing looks like. Me, I have a shallow attack at the ball and generate not much spin. Therefore spin matters greatly for me. Just not getting the same check as with the 2009 balls.

Hrm.. Thanks for the explanation.

I have dozens of the 2009 V1x, and a few V1's left. I'm playing the 2011 ProV1 instead now.

I'm a steeper angle of attack kinda guy, and I generate plenty of spin. The new ProV1's spin WAY more than any version of 2009. My 2 regular partners play V1 and V1x, and they like the new one more too, other than durability isn't any better on the V1x. One guy thinks it's worse and I tend to agree with him on that. The ProV1 is much better, but still will get eaten up on a hard clean wedge shot with conforming or non conforming grooves.

My pro(also a Titleist pro) and the Titleist rep were explaining the new balls to me before the release, and gave me a sleeve after we talked about the balls. I normally played the v1x. I was told if you went pin hunting from 140 in, and liked the extra spin, and higher ball flight, the new V1 was the ball. I listened and played with the ball and liked what I saw.

I wasn't trying to have you convince me of your findings, as each swing is different. I just find it odd that you say they are lower spin off wedges, because the goal of EVERY ball that has been released in the last year or two, as been to bring up the wedge spin for the short game, and irons to combat the groove rule where your getting higher ball flights and less spin into greens.

[quote name='Cornbread' timestamp='1302049302' post='3123943']
Has anyone compared the 2011 ProV1 compare to the 2007 version? I found the 2009 version to spin noticably less than the 2007 version, although it was slightly longer and straighter off the tee. I am hoping the 2011 will be the best of both.
[/quote]

and you measured these differing spin rates via what method / machine?
[/quote]

What method did you use to find that the AD333 spins more than most urethane balls? :cheesy:

We'll leave it at that and continue on topic. Anyone compare the 2007 version to the new 2011?

[/quote]

I attended a Fitting Works seminar yesterday and according to Titleist, the 2009 version of the ProV1 and V1x were closer in spin rates (and overall performance for that matter) than previous versions ('07, '05, '03). They have widened the gap between the two models for the 2011 versions therefore making the relative differences between the V1 and V1x more in line with the older models.

Keep in mind, I'm only referring to the relationship between the V1 and V1x for the same year and not one year's V1/V1x relative to another year's.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

Go and buy the MasterGrip Tour C4 ball, I have played them instead of the Pro v1 the last two years and love them. Everyone I know that's tried them agrees and at $19.99 a dozen they're a steal. Yes, the are marketed [i]against [/i]the Pro v1 (and a new MG ball against the NXT), you'd have to go to the MasterGrip website to view. This is how [i]they[/i] market it: "the MG Tour C4 has the distance, spin, and feel of the Titleist[sup]®[/sup] Pro V1"
Seems a no-brainer :russian_roulette: to me!

Good info here. I read this whole thread and have been wondering how the 09 and 11 ProV1 compare. I like a softer feeling ball as I'm very aggressive and find my self short sided a couple times a round on somewhat firm ground. Really is important for me to be able to spin on short chips and pitches so I think I'll pick up a dozen and see how they compare in my game. Hopefully they are an improvement as I have about 2 dozen 09's waiting to be used.

Has anybody else used the ball BigFishSmallPond is referring to and can attest to similar results?

Banana, go to MasterGrip's website and check it out, I think there are testimonies on the ball. I have played them two years now, to be honest with you I switch between the Pro V1 and MG's ball simply because I am a ball hawk of finding balls, lol, :yahoo:, spent the winter in Panama City playing a Norman and Jones courses and there were balls everywhere to just pick up. I think I brought home 300 more balls than I went with. The skinny of it is this, you are a + handicap golfer, I can relate [i]a little[/i], been under a 2 for 20 years and can recognize spin and feel factor's in a ball. You would like the MG ball, if saving some bucks mattered. If $ is not an issue then hay... why look outside Titleist, their history speaks for itself. I also, becaise of that you [i]will [/i]pay for their name. You might not get a feedback here on this ball, although I have used MG products for 20 years they are not that big (obviously). Good luck!:hi:

prov1x is one of the lowest and straightest players balls on the market, and also spins a lot where needed as well. to me, it's the perfect golf ball in the game and theres a reason why so many pros play that ball.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1298594157' post='3006748']
The 2011 definitely spins more for me on all shots. Especially around the green. I noticed quite a difference coming from the 2009 version.
[/quote]

+1 for this. 2011 spins a lot more for me than 2009. I even ordered 2 dozen 2011 ProV1x to see if that would be a better fit. The ball also seemed to be too soft at impact with driver. It feels like it compresses way too much for me...kind of hard to describe. Anyways, that's my take on the 2011 model. Didn't hit any wedges since I forgot to put my CC clubs in the bag but I could spin the ball back more with my other irons than 2009 model.

I love the 2011 prov1x. in my opinion, the ball has a slighter better feel, but it still dead straight and long. it's a bombers dream.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

• 2 years later...