Joined Up With Someone Really Odd....

Medic

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1392515169' post='8676753']
As odd as the guy was I think everyone gets paired up with someone who they don't "mesh" with now and then. I was paired up with a guy this past summer who always, and I mean always went first. If he was at his ball he was going to hit it. He was not going anywhere - we were log jammed behind a bunch of members so no need to hurry. What was really funny was how he would wait near the pin after he had finished out and if my ball got within 2 feet he would hit it back to me and say "That one's good."

When we were waiting on one tee on the front I asked him if he was in a hurry for some reason and he admitted that he was. (Sure, I know my question must have been "passive aggressive" but still just had to ask given how he was rushing things; guess being "passive aggressive" is in my nature, at least according to some of the Freud wanna be members around here) Anywho, he says to me that he loves playing fast and hoped I didn't mind. I told him I didn't - but just didn't want to hit towards him. (He would go onto the green when I was still about 100 yards out and wait at the green) I even asked him if he wanted to try to play through as a single since he had his own personal cart and he declined. Was really odd to say the least. He could not go anywhere but was determined to get there really fast. Guess he was "faster aggressive".
[/quote]

I played with a couple guys like that in Myrtle one year and it was annoying since we were 5 holes ahead of the group behind us. they would race on the green and start putting while i was hitting approach shots. Finally at 9 i stayed in my cart with my BIL they started telling us to hurry up we are holding people up, i said who are we holding up. They couldn't answer, i told them to go and we will play the rest of the day ourselves.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='arnold palmtree' timestamp='1392694021' post='8691277']
[quote name='thug the bunny' timestamp='1392645514' post='8685583']
[quote name='arnold palmtree' timestamp='1392510665' post='8676421']
[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1392487742' post='8674317']
[quote name='arnold palmtree' timestamp='1392444052' post='8672365']
This more passive aggressive than anything. If the guy on the tee box doesn't bother you why are you going to make him move as "payback" for asking you to move?
[/quote]

But Arnold, you are assuming that his presence didn't disturb me on the tee box. After what he said it did.

Ironically your assumption and post-in-reply made you are guilty as you implied I was - of being passive aggressive. Mine was in-person (takes some measure of courage and conviction) and yours was online. (anonymous fearlessness)
[/quote]

You clearly don't understand what passive aggressive means.

You didn't say anything to him for asking you to move. Instead you approached the subject by asking him to move when it was your time to hit. That is the epitome of passive aggressive behavior.

It has nothing to do with real life vs the internet.
[/quote]

I don't agree that was the epitome of passive aggressive behavior. But whatever you want to call it, the real issue here is, was it wrong to deal a 'payback' by requesting that the weirdo do the same as his original request?

The answer is: NO.
[/quote]

Being a bigger person is part of being an adult.

It's absolutely wrong to intentional antagonize someone.
[/quote]

Being annoyed, piquant, and tongue-in-cheek mischevious is also part of being an adult.

Jesus will still love the OP, don't worry.

I don't understand some people who are so sensitive on the golf course like that. When it is quiet and a sudden noise occurs, I can get that. But, I guess it is the baseball player in me where there is constant noise and yelling and on the road berating by fans constantly. I just learned to zero in on the task at hand and shut everything else out. I can do that on the golf course too.

Sudden noises used to bother me a bit, but I started playing with a group of guys about 6 years ago that would talk, laugh, and move at any time, even during shots.

It really distracted me at first, but I learned to block out the noise and focus on the shot. Now, nothing really bothers me. Sometimes after I hit a shot a player partner will say something like "sorry about that cough in the middle of your swing" or "sorry I dropped my club behind you on the tee" and my reply is usually "I didn't even hear it".

Nothing really bothers me now and I owe it all to a few guys that didn't know how to control themselves.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1392913563' post='8708907']
Sudden noises used to bother me a bit, but I started playing with a group of guys about 6 years ago that would talk, laugh, and move at any time, even during shots.

It really distracted me at first, but I learned to block out the noise and focus on the shot. Now, nothing really bothers me. Sometimes after I hit a shot a player partner will say something like "sorry about that cough in the middle of your swing" or "sorry I dropped my club behind you on the tee" and my reply is usually "I didn't even hear it".

Nothing really bothers me now and I owe it all to a few guys that didn't know how to control themselves.
[/quote]

I agree with you. Just learn to block it out. I wonder if our brains expect quiet on the golf course because that is what we have been told is proper. Meaning if there was no quiet on a golf course as the norm people would learn to deal with the noise. Not much of anything harder than trying to hit a round ball with a round baseball bat when the ball is thrown at 90 mph. The concentration to do that is enormous and baseball games aren't quiet at all. We have been conditioned if you will to expect quiet on the golf course and anything disturbing that then becomes upsetting I guess.

[quote name='DevilDog' timestamp='1392914136' post='8708967']
[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1392913563' post='8708907']

[/quote]

I agree with you. Just learn to block it out. I wonder if our brains expect quiet on the golf course because that is what we have been told is proper. Meaning if there was no quiet on a golf course as the norm people would learn to deal with the noise. Not much of anything harder than trying to hit a round ball with a round baseball bat when the ball is thrown at 90 mph. The concentration to do that is enormous and baseball games aren't quiet at all. We have been conditioned if you will to expect quiet on the golf course and anything disturbing that then becomes upsetting I guess.
[/quote]

For many its the sudden noises on the golf course that bother them. They used to bother me, but now I rarely notice them.

Noise at a baseball game, for example, is constant. Its almost becomes like white noise.

Tennis is another sport in which the competitors need silence to "perform".

PXG Bat Attack H

[quote name='RollingRocks' timestamp='1393036985' post='8719708']
My father once told me you can tell a lot about a person by the way they handle themselves on the golf course. I'm guessing he's quirky in real life too.
[/quote]

Your post reminded me of Les Nessman from WKRP. Remember how he always had a bandaid somewhere on his body visible to the cameras and how he taped off his "office"?

Nail on the head my friend. I think the course is the PERFECT place to finish a job interview. You can tell a lot about a person by how they behave during a round.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

That story was literally hilarious. I played with a guy who left after the 3rd hole because the course was too soggy once. But that's nothing I wouldnt expect.

Titleist TSI3 Fuji Ventus Blue TR 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 15* Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design AD DI Hybrid 85x 

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1x

I've actually been paired up with people a couple of different times that simply didn't want to play with anyone else. We'll line up at the tee and then they just say we'll go ahead and wait. Fine by me.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

I was on the first tee one weekday afternoon. The front 9 was pretty wide open so I thought I'd go out and get some practice (I work at the course). As I was about to tee off a guy in his early 20s came up and asked if he could join me. I said sure. He said "I'm playing the tips to get ready for a tourney" I said fine I'll play them too. As he was warming up a little he began yapping about how many tournaments he plays and how he has played mini tour events and was working toward Q school. I said "cool, good for you, good luck".

I teed off and hit one about 275 down the middle. He teed off and hit one about 230 with a hard fade. He then chunked his second shot, missed the green left with his third, chunked his first chip, skulled the second chip 20 feet past the hole and then 3 putted.

The second hole is a par three about 185 yards. His first shot was another weak fade that came up 20 yards short. His first pitch was fat, second barely made the green, and another 3 putt.

After we finished the second hole, he suddenly said "I just got an emergency text message I have to go". I said "OK, I enjoyed it, good luck on the tour". Off he went.

Now I could care less how good/bad someone is and I will play with anyone. But this guy made me chuckle a little. Even though he was hacking it around, he continued to talk almost non-stop about his accomplishments and tournament experience and aspirations. You really never know who you will meet next on the golf course!

PXG Bat Attack H

[quote name='ljp3' timestamp='1391824858' post='8620223']
So maybe I am a jerk but I would have said no, I won't wait at the cart while you hit. Some of the courses I play you have to walk 30 yards or up trails to the blues. No way am I going to wait till he hits, walk to the tee, go through my routine, then hit.
[/quote]

This is certainly the correct answer. "Go sit in the cart while I'm hitting?" Dream on, pal..... golf is slow enough as it is. And suppose this was a foursome? Are all three fellow golfers supposed to sit obediently 30 to 80 feet away while some clown monopolizes the tee? And no, politely declining his request is not being a "jerk."

(Of course, I did laugh out loud at the earlier comment: "Was he wearing Nike stuff?" Too much!

Had an event like this recently where a guy got really torqued out of proportion.

I walked on as a single and was paired with another single and a twosome. Hands shaken all around on the 1st tee except for one guy.

Ok. No problem.

On the 8th hole, a mid-length par 5, Mr. No Intro and I end up left, his partner is in the desert right and the other single in the fairway.

The twosome drives up to where No Name and my balls are, point to one left of the cart path, pick up the other ball which came to rest on the cart path and toss it back into play. They then drive to the other side of the fairway to look for that ball.

I go to what I thought was mine--the one they pointed to and didn't touch--and hit it into the fairway.

They come back and point out that I hit No Name's my ball.

My bad, I almost always identify my ball before hitting. Pointing at one and moving the other threw me. I apologize and later give No Name's partner back the ball.

I redrop my ball and he drops a ball and tries again. He knocks this ball deep into the desert and spends a long time looking for it to no avail.

My co-single comes up to me and let's me know the guy is really bent about me hitting his ball.

He spends the next several holes making smarmy remarks about it. Sinks a putt, points at the cup and says, "This is my ball, right?" to his partner. Pauses over a chip. "Four dots is mine, right?

He never addresses the sarcasm directly to me. It was a always under his breath, barely, but he wouldn't let it go.

No hand shake from him on 18 either. He didn't even come to the green. Knocked his drive out of play and never even came to the green.

Jeez. Wash the sand out. You'll feel better. You got an apology. What more did you want? Seppuku?

[quote name='Ranchobob' timestamp='1393183122' post='8728722']

On the 8th hole, a mid-length par 5, Mr. No Intro and I end up left, his partner is in the desert right and the other single in the fairway.

The twosome drives up to where No Name and my balls are, point to one left of the cart path, pick up the other ball which came to rest on the cart path and toss it back into play. They then drive to the other side of the fairway to look for that ball.

[/quote]

Wait, So doesn't this mean he picked up your ball and tossed it back in play then???

[quote name='Ranchobob' timestamp='1393190312' post='8729326']
[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1393183694' post='8728774']

Wait, So doesn't this mean he picked up your ball and tossed it back in play then???
[/quote]

Right. He picked my ball up off the cartpath and tossed it into the rough adjacent to the path.
[/quote]

U could have acted just as pissy about that as he did about what you had done... i.e. "Sorry I assumed that was my ball because you touched the other ball"...

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1393190720' post='8729362']
[quote name='Ranchobob' timestamp='1393190312' post='8729326']
[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1393183694' post='8728774']
[/quote]

Right. He picked my ball up off the cartpath and tossed it into the rough adjacent to the path.
[/quote]

U could have acted just as pissy about that as he did about what you had done... i.e. "Sorry I assumed that was my ball because you touched the other ball"...
[/quote]

Had a guy who hit my ball in a match play situation. When I got to his ball and told him it wasn't mine, must be his and he must have hit mine he tried to deny it. I had to go all the way up to the green, ID my ball sitting up there, and then his partner conceded the whole. On the next tee he said "you didn't have to make a federal case out of it". I shut him up by simply reminding him that he was the one who hit the wrong ball and his pard actually said he needed to let it go. Funny thing was when his pard said "Dave, don't be a dick. You hit the wrong ball. Get over it."

Yup, that about summed it up. We beat them 4 and 3 - felt really good when I knew we had them. Most of the guys in that league are true gentlemen. This individual seemed to be the exception for sure.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Of course, sometimes you're ENTIRELY justified in asking someone to move.

Those of you who know the 12th hole at Coronado Golf Course in San Diego, may recall the back tee on the short 12th hole has almost no room in back. I put my ball on the tee and before stepping up, noticed that the single who had joined our group was now standing maybe [u]six feet[/u] behind my ball. I wasn't going to hit with this guy so close so I stepped back to start a practice swing and said something like, "It's pretty tight back here... maybe there's a better place to stand." The stranger gave me a look as though I was Ben Hogan starting down a fan with a camera but grudgingly moved to the side. I proceeded to take a practice swing that stirred the air on the very spot where he had been standing.

Sometimes, everybody needs a little help with etiquette and golf courtesy.

Good for you! I'm usually always trying to "keep the peace," and as such probably would have just tried not to step on his toes too much. Consequently, though, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the round at all. Instead, you stood up four yourself in a classy way and got to enjoy your round. But what is really funny to me is this is so ubiquitously weird that literally everyone agrees with you. So it's like, where do these people come from?!?!?!?

Three of us were playing a Hilton Head course on the way to our annual Masters trip and we were paired a with a guy our age.... a little grizzled but generally and okay guy; didn't say much during the round, just played his own game.

We came to the 15t hole, a tight par three bordered by jungle on either side. I proceeded to just lash one waaaay left, deep into the jungle, woods and swamp. I finished off that wild swing with a typical golf crack and said, "Man, that's deadly. That's in [i]Viet Nam[/i] over there."

The single who joined our group suddenly stared at me and with a look of fear in his crazed eyes barked out "Hey, man....that's NOT Viet Nam. I've BEEN to Viet Nam and I'm telling you it's NOTHING like that!"

Yikes. All the three of us could do was quietly look at each other and say "Uh.... who's up next?"

Had an event like this recently where a guy got really torqued out of proportion.

I walked on as a single and was paired with another single and a twosome. Hands shaken all around on the 1st tee except for one guy.

Ok. No problem.

I go to what I thought was mine--the one they pointed to and didn't touch--and hit it into the fairway.

My bad, I almost always identify my ball before hitting. Pointing at one and moving the other threw me. I apologize and later give No Name's partner back the ball.

I redrop my ball and he drops a ball and tries again. He knocks this ball deep into the desert and spends a long time looking for it to no avail.

My co-single comes up to me and let's me know the guy is really bent about me hitting his ball.

He spends the next several holes making smarmy remarks about it. Sinks a putt, points at the cup and says, "This is my ball, right?" to his partner. Pauses over a chip. "Four dots is mine, right?

He never addresses the sarcasm directly to me. It was a always under his breath, barely, but he wouldn't let it go.

No hand shake from him on 18 either. He didn't even come to the green. Knocked his drive out of play and never even came to the green.

Jeez. Wash the sand out. You'll feel better. You got an apology. What more did you want? Seppuku?
[/quote]

There is nothing worse than passive aggressive behavior. Sounds like a miserable round.

Ok. No problem.

[/quote]

I saw a police car drive down a cart path once. Heard the guy pulled a gun on someone in his group, who had hit his ball. Wish I could have been there to witness that exchange, or then again maybe I dont.

I play a round with this old bloke on Sunday's which I met through my local and just before we tee off he sneaks in and sculls a small bottle of Johnny Red. Apparently this is his "special routine" as he puts it. The part that I find odd is, as we reach the 2nd & 3rd the whiskey starts to take effect and he plays better than he is sober.

Golf is a cruel game, sometimes more cruel to others...

I had a college teammate that would get mad at you when he was trying to focus...were all focusing here, so whats the deal with that...

I have had a few people refuse to join up with me and all 3 times those guys were wearing jeans and were over 50. There are golfers and there are folks who try golfing.