SkyCaddie SG2.5

I just don't get it
Brand new from Sky Golf...

Introducing the SkyCaddie SG2.5, the latest improvement to the amazingly popular SkyCaddie SG2.

The SkyCaddie 2.5 offers several different target view screens allowing you to customize the target information that best fits your style of play: standard, graphical, expanded and big number view.

Patented IntelliGreen Technology displays an outline of the green and distances to the front, back and any point on the green calculated from your line to the green.

-----------------------------------

I just don't get it. Why introduce a version of a previous model that is so similar to the SG4? I just don't get their marketing/product strategy. Can someone enlighten me? ;)

Driver  Callaway Mavrik 10.5* Project X Evenflow Riptide 50
Fairway Callaway Epic Speed 15* HZRDUS Smoke

Hybrid Cobra King F8 22* Aldila Rogue Pro 75

Irons Ping G425 5-GW Power Spec DG 105

Wedges Ping Glide Stealth 54*/58* Z-Z115

Putter Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 8 35"

Ball Bridgestone e12 Contact

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is the starter model for the lowest skygolf price.

differences between the 2.5 and the 4: (4 is given first, 2.5 is second)

price: [b]$349 vs. $249[/b]

Display Graphic LCD Screen vs. Graphic LCD Screen

Battery Type Rechargeable Lithium-Ion vs Rechargeable Lithium-Ion

Weight [b] 5.4 Oz vs 3.8 Oz[/b]

Additional Features Patented IntelliGreen Technology •[b] Mapping Module [/b] vs. Patented IntelliGreen Technology

Included Accessories AC Charger [b]• SkyCaddie Desktop • USB Drivers CD[/b] USB PC Cable vs Wall Charger • USB Cable

[quote name='Big_Guy_Who_Golfs' post='854705' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:14 PM']Brand new from Sky Golf...

Introducing the SkyCaddie SG2.5, the latest improvement to the amazingly popular SkyCaddie SG2.

The SkyCaddie 2.5 offers several different target view screens allowing you to customize the target information that best fits your style of play: standard, graphical, expanded and big number view.

Patented IntelliGreen Technology displays an outline of the green and distances to the front, back and any point on the green calculated from your line to the green.

-----------------------------------

I just don't get it. Why introduce a version of a previous model that is so similar to the SG4? I just don't get their marketing/product strategy. Can someone enlighten me? ;)[/quote]

Though there are those with decent ones, the SG4 is the biggest Piece of Caca they made. They made a special cable which you really need 2 of to use in your car (I am not climbing behind my computer when I want to travel), which means 2 charging cables, etc.

The SG4 has an internal antenna, which didnt work as well as they advertised. Notice both the SG5 and SG2.5 went back to external antennas.

The extra memory slot, which an SkyCaddy salesman said was there to let you put 25 courses on it, never got utilized.

Mine went back 3 times before they got it "acceptable". It NEVER was as accurate as my SG2.

The thing that pisses me off is I was this close to getting a 5, and now they have the 2.5. Thats $200, or my new 3 wood. I guess it isnt a bad thing but it took me forever to decide to get the SG5 and can the SG4 and get out from under it.

The new SG5 and SG2.5 have external antennas, USB connections, long battery life, and of course different holders so you have to buy all that crap again.

I love the product, I just WISH I had stuck with my original SG2.

Okay, I'm better now :cheesy:

So has anyone tried one yet? I've got one sitting here, and it's raining so I can't take it out on the course.

I'm disturbed by the fact that I cannot get a satellite signal in my house. I get them just fine on the iGolf Neo, ShureShot, & GolfGuru. Is the satellite reception that bad on the SkyCaddie's?

The menus and navigation are much more polished than the other products. The backlit screen is beautiful and clear. Even without the manual, navigating around the unit is straightforward.

Everything about this unit seems solid, except for the satellite reception quality.

I am guessing that all but the 2.5 and 5 are going to be going away soon. Is there really ANY point in having a line a 4 units that all pretty much do the same thing.

Another new offering from Skygolf with no new capabilities, but instead some lame mode to change the way it displays the same old info. Chock another one up for the R&D department.

Picked one up yesterday. Have not registered yet - hey, it's 6* out right now.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

They are probably updating their whole website. That can take awhile, depending on what they are trying to do (esp. if they are discontinuing another product and don't want to announce it just yet)

I took my SG2.5 outside last night and was able to grab onto 9-10 satellites, so I feel better about that. I'll chalk it up to cloudy, overcast skys, but it should be noted that the Neo and the GolfGuru had no trouble getting signal in the same enviornment.

What I'm not fine with is the subscription fee. It's basically $30 a year forever. And ever. For nothing new. They aren't adding more golf courses where I live, so I can't just download the ones I need. Instead, I pay for them over and over and over again. I still may end up keeping it, I just haven't gotten used to the idea just yet.

I think with the Neo, the Sonnocaddie, and other products, you can keep the courses you use, and don't have to pay forever.

[quote name='stevestrike' post='868906' date='Jan 17 2008, 07:54 PM']They are probably updating their whole website. That can take awhile, depending on what they are trying to do (esp. if they are discontinuing another product and don't want to announce it just yet)

I took my SG2.5 outside last night and was able to grab onto 9-10 satellites, so I feel better about that. I'll chalk it up to cloudy, overcast skys, but it should be noted that the Neo and the GolfGuru had no trouble getting signal in the same enviornment.

What I'm not fine with is the subscription fee. It's basically $30 a year forever. And ever. For nothing new. They aren't adding more golf courses where I live, so I can't just download the ones I need. Instead, I pay for them over and over and over again. I still may end up keeping it, I just haven't gotten used to the idea just yet.

I think with the Neo, the Sonnocaddie, and other products, you can keep the courses you use, and don't have to pay forever.[/quote]

So if you have a Skycaddie - and you pay for a year subscription and load up your 10 courses of whatever it is and then at the end of the year you decide that you dont need more courses on it and really just need the 10 you downloaded in that year of paid subscription - you have to keep paying your annual to keep those 10 on your skycaddie? - do they have some way to reach out over the airways and take them back or disable your unit? Am I reading this right?

I would think as long as you have the 10 you want then they are there forever if you let your subscription drop - since the interface to get them the first time is you PC - if you dont connect again to the Skycaddie Desktop I would think those original 10 would be there for good - while not great - if this is the case at least if you have a limited play circuit - then you are paying $3 a course.

Of course I could have this ALL wrong and would like to know if I do.

[quote name='pwrfade' post='868938' date='Jan 17 2008, 09:07 PM']So if you have a Skycaddie - and you pay for a year subscription and load up your 10 courses of whatever it is and then at the end of the year you decide that you dont need more courses on it and really just need the 10 you downloaded in that year of paid subscription - you have to keep paying your annual to keep those 10 on your skycaddie? - do they have some way to reach out over the airways and take them back or disable your unit? Am I reading this right?[/quote]
No, I'm sorry I was not clear. Yes, you can keep the 10 you have in the unit, and they should continue to work even after your subscription is up.

Unfortunately, I play around 20 courses regularly.

To those who already have the 2.5 - can you tell me if the graphical interface is the same as the SG2 or does it more closely resemble the SG3/4 ?

BTW - I could be wrong but I seem to remember that when my subscription ran out on my SG2 the unit stopped working for the downloaded courses. It may be date-based within the device itself ? I believe they pull the date/time from the GPS sats so that would be doable .....

I would like clarification from SG2.5 owners, it appears that when you choose to map a course that you can only map Front/Center/Back of the green but not any targets. Is this true? If so then that would be no consideration from me. If this had the user mapping of targets (hopefully at least 6 or more) and editing of downloaded courses then it looks like a great product.

[quote name='BrendanH' post='870105' date='Jan 18 2008, 04:10 PM']BTW - I could be wrong but I seem to remember that when my subscription ran out on my SG2 the unit stopped working for the downloaded courses. It may be date-based within the device itself ? I believe they pull the date/time from the GPS sats so that would be doable .....[/quote]
Very possible. If you buy a SkyCaddie, you are committing to paying for service for as long as you use the unit in my opinion. It just is what it is, and it won't change until a real competitor comes out and knocks them off being the #1 GPS unit. I hope that day comes soon!

[quote]I would like clarification from SG2.5 owners, it appears that when you choose to map a course that you can only map Front/Center/Back of the green but not any targets. Is this true?[/quote] You are correct. They don't want the unit to be useful without the subscription cost. As far as I can tell, there is no way to add a custom point even to a map you download. So you use what they give you, or you only get F/B/C.

Steve, the problem I have with them not allowing user mapped targets is that I am sure along with myself other users have targets they would want mapped that are not included by the professional mapping. If they had this feature with the SG2.5 I think it could be at the top of my list. It appears that they just didn't include that with this product, and it you want it you have to pay another $100 for one of there other versions.

Something else that would be so usefull would be the ability for these devices to capture information about the club played and distance. Store CourseID, Hole, Clud, Distance for shots you choose to record. Then have the ability to uplaod that to a program that inserts this information to a database so that you can review it later, create reports, ect... Doesn't seem like a lot of information to record from a memory standpoint. I would love to develop something for this. I think that the SureShot does this to some extent but I don't know what. At least with a database of information you could see how you hit your clubs on different courses (possibly altitude changes that effect distance), or overall, with a graph of all shots hit with each club. Might be a good tool to help people recognize where they need to improve.

Anyway, I really like the SG2.5, but that user mapping is a requirement for me if I am buying something like this.

[quote name='msguillory' post='870191' date='Jan 18 2008, 05:05 PM']Steve, the problem I have with them not allowing user mapped targets is that I am sure along with myself other users have targets they would want mapped that are not included by the professional mapping. If they had this feature with the SG2.5 I think it could be at the top of my list. It appears that they just didn't include that with this product, and it you want it you have to pay another $100 for one of there other versions.[/quote]
This may be true. SG wants to charge you for everything, and I don't see why the 2.5 would be any different, but I don't see that the SG5 can map custom points either. However, the four-star courses have a ton of points mapped, and I can see easily being able to use these points without ever needing to add my own. It looks like SG was very thorough in the mapping process.

[quote]Something else that would be so usefull would be the ability for these devices to capture information about the club played and distance. Store CourseID, Hole, Clud, Distance for shots you choose to record. Then have the ability to uplaod that to a program that inserts this information to a database so that you can review it later, create reports, ect...[/quote]True, but you'll want a different product for that. Like you mentioned, the SureShot product does this--scores, clubs, stats, etc... It's a pretty nice unit, and I've used one extensively.

Very interesting thing I just found out today. I went to download the software from their website. Even though the SG2.5 is not listed, if you go to download and choose "my device is not listed here" you get the SG2.5 software! Why not just put "SG2.5"?

[url="https://www.skygolfgps.com/SG_softwareInstall.aspx"]https://www.skygolfgps.com/SG_softwareInstall.aspx[/url]

So they have it up, but they don't want to publicize it. Sneaky bastards.

Hmmm, so the color screen would then be a $170 option, don't need that.

Well, I personally would like the ability to add user mapped targets, but I understand that the SkyCaddie does have a lot of 4-star mapped courses with multiple targets on those that are all professionally mapped. What I would like to see from their website is the data points mapped on each course. Currently you need to own the device and have a membership in order to download, and of course you can only see those mapped points on the device. For me at least if they displayed on their website the data points mapped as it would appear on the SkyCaddie that would be a big plus for them to sell the unit. Then people would be able to see the depth of what they are getting. If they have everything that you need already mapped then that SG2.5 unit would be very attractive to me. Without being able to see what you get is still detracting me from spending a few hundred bucks plus membership to find out it the courses have enough points mapped.

I think I will send them an email and ask about that, but based on shat I have hear about their customer service chances are that I won't get a response.

[quote name='msguillory' post='870191' date='Jan 18 2008, 04:05 PM']Something else that would be so usefull would be the ability for these devices to capture information about the club played and distance. Store CourseID, Hole, Clud, Distance for shots you choose to record. Then have the ability to uplaod that to a program that inserts this information to a database so that you can review it later, create reports, ect... Doesn't seem like a lot of information to record from a memory standpoint. I would love to develop something for this. I think that the SureShot does this to some extent but I don't know what. At least with a database of information you could see how you hit your clubs on different courses (possibly altitude changes that effect distance), or overall, with a graph of all shots hit with each club. Might be a good tool to help people recognize where they need to improve.

Anyway, I really like the SG2.5, but that user mapping is a requirement for me if I am buying something like this.[/quote]

Interesting, I only want it to handle my yardage. I keep track of the other stuff on my scorecard and I then transfer it to a database where the I can generate reports and add notes and really do some serious data mining. I definitely dont want to Sky Caddie to handle it. Just give me the yardage and targets. If you keep it simple there is little to screw up.

I dont think the sky caddie will be able to support recording the lies,clubs used, penalties , putts, sand saves, etc.

Hmmmm I may look into developing something for my BlackBerry. Very interesting......

TM SLDR with Motore Speeder
Cally XR 3 wood
Cally XHot 2 5w
Cally XR 7w
Ping G25 5i & 6i
Ping i20 CFS 7i - GW
Cally Jaws wedges 54* and 58*
Spider Daddy Long Legs 1st gen

My Skycaddie annual subscription ended Friday and indeed, in the middle of my round today all downloaded courses ceased to appear and the only ones left were the ones I mapped myself. I am pissed! I emailed them and told them that while I intended to renew in the next couple of days (since I have no choice if I want to continue to use it) that I was very disappointed in their customer service. The real b1tch of the deal was that I was notified last week that I needed to take a new download that I can guarantee is what they designed to remove the courses on the subscription ending date. Last year when it ran out it still worked with downloaded courses, just couldn't add additional ones. That's a BS way to do business and the other guys in my foursome today were not impressed when it quit after 4 holes. I'm not likely to be doing any commercials for them soon.

[quote name='pardriven' post='874198' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:10 PM']My Skycaddie annual subscription ended Friday and indeed, in the middle of my round today all downloadede courses ceased to appear and the only ones left were the ones I mapped myself. I am pissed! I emailed them and told them that while I intended to renew in the next couple of days (since I have no choice if I want to continue to use it) that I found was very disappointed in their customer service. The reall b1tch of the deal was that I was notified last week that I needed to take a new download that I can guarantee is what they designed to remove the courses on the subscription ending date. Last year when it ran out it still worked with downloaded courses, just wouldn't add additional ones. That's a BS way to do business and the other guys in my foursome today were not impressed when it quit after 4 holes. I'm not likely to be doing any commercials for them soon.[/quote]

Wow, that is unreal. Sorry to hear that. I got the SG4 for Christmas, which is what triggered my original post after hearing about the SG2.5.

I've had a weird experience with my new Skycaddie so far. I installed the software and setup my account. I went to look at the subscription options and noticed that my device already had a subscription on record. I found this bizarre since I'm pretty sure the person that purchased my device bought it new and unopened. Anyway, I downloaded all of my local courses and a few out of state that I plan to visit this year for free.

Then, yesterday, I tried to DirectConnect my device from the SkyGolf Desktop software and it failed to find the device. I'm also getting a windows message saying it couldn't find the USB device and it had no drivers installed. Re-installed the software and no luck. So, needless to say, I am pretty stumped. I'm OK with the courses I've downloaded and I should be alright (assuming they don't disappear on me). But, I will need to get this thing connected back at some point.

Has this happened to anyone else? Very strange... ;)

Driver  Callaway Mavrik 10.5* Project X Evenflow Riptide 50
Fairway Callaway Epic Speed 15* HZRDUS Smoke

Hybrid Cobra King F8 22* Aldila Rogue Pro 75

Irons Ping G425 5-GW Power Spec DG 105

Wedges Ping Glide Stealth 54*/58* Z-Z115

Putter Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 8 35"

Ball Bridgestone e12 Contact

[quote name='Big_Guy_Who_Golfs' post='874246' date='Jan 20 2008, 07:39 PM']Wow, that is unreal. Sorry to hear that. I got the SG4 for Christmas, which is what triggered my original post after hearing about the SG2.5.

I've had a weird experience with my new Skycaddie so far. I installed the software and setup my account. I went to look at the subscription options and noticed that my device already had a subscription on record. I found this bizarre since I'm pretty sure the person that purchased my device bought it new and unopened. Anyway, I downloaded all of my local courses and a few out of state that I plan to visit this year for free.

Then, yesterday, I tried to DirectConnect my device from the SkyGolf Desktop software and it failed to find the device. I'm also getting a windows message saying it couldn't find the USB device and it had no drivers installed. Re-installed the software and no luck. So, needless to say, I am pretty stumped. I'm OK with the courses I've downloaded and I should be alright (assuming they don't disappear on me). But, I will need to get this thing connected back at some point.

Has this happened to anyone else? Very strange... ;)[/quote]

Sounds like maybe you lucked out and got a returned unit with a paid subscription. I hope it hangs in there for you. The failure to DirectConnect could just be a driver problem and not an indication of a problem with the SkyGolf account. Can you try another computer ? Alternatively try uninstalling all SkyGolf software from your desktop, reboot and reinstall. I don't recall this particular problem happening with any of my SkyCaddies but the USB driver issue is an all-too-familiar gotcha with such setup. Good luck !

[quote name='msguillory' post='873506' date='Jan 20 2008, 02:49 PM']Well, I personally would like the ability to add user mapped targets, but I understand that the SkyCaddie does have a lot of 4-star mapped courses with multiple targets on those that are all professionally mapped. What I would like to see from their website is the data points mapped on each course.[/quote]I played my first round with the SG2.5 today. There were a ton of points mapped, but not necessarily everything I would have wanted. I could see wanting to add some custom points, especially on a course I play often.

Overall, the important points were there--"End of Fairways" being probably the biggest IMHO. The intelligreen feature was neat, and being able to move the "pin" around the map of the green was helpful, especially on greens with "L" or kidney-shaped greens. It was easy to grab that front corner, or the way back right side, and know exactly how far to shoot for. There were a few greenside bunkers that I was surprised to find missing. I realized however, that the movable target on the intelligreen feature let me effectively find the back of the bunker, or at least the edge of the green.

A feature I thought that I did not care about, automatic hole advance, ended up being one of my favorites. The unit also automatically advances targets as you progress up the fairway. This was confusing at first, because the display was different every time I looked down at the unit. Once I realized it, and just let it be, things were flowing nicely. This unit seems to work best when you just let it do what it does: picks your holes, targets, and views. It seems like they are aiming for a somewhat automatic and hands-off experience.

The screen was very easy to read all day, and the belt-clip worked very well. Snapping the unit into the clip gave you a confidence that the unit was not going anywhere (falling out/off, slipping, leaving it behind).

The ball-mark feature was nice, and works just how it should. Yardages seem to be spot on, but one unfortunate thing I noticed was that once you got to the green, the unit switched off all yardages and put "at green" or something on the screen. I think this was to prevent you from seeing that the edges of the green could be 1, 2, or 3 yards off (or more!)

With the Neo or the SureShot, you can go right to the edge of the green, and it will say "0" or be off a certain amount, and at that point, you can edit the number and resave the corrected course.

The unit grabbed satellite signal quickly, and kept it all day without a single incident.

The bottom line is that the SG2.5 is best for people who want a hands-off, low-interaction experience. You don't map or add custom points, the unit chooses your targets automatically and advances holes for you. Being a gadget guy myself, I thought I wanted something more customizable, like the GolfGuru, but in the end I realized that I when I'm on the golf course, I'd rather just focus on my game. The SG's hands-off approach ended up being perfect to that end. If you can get over it's shortcomings, I'd recommend it.