New iGolf Neo Model

[quote name='stevestrike' post='853379' date='Jan 7 2008, 04:14 PM']An update on the corrupted course problem:

I recieved an email response that basically stated, "reset your unit back to factory defaults" Well, yeah I can do that but I will lose all my courses, and have to re-sync.

I emailed him back and told him that that was not a solution to my problem. We'll see what happens next.

Then I did what the guy said, and restored my Neo to factory defaults. Then I loaded some courses back into it. They were fine. Then I turned the unit off and on about four times. After that, one of the courses was corrupt again. This was very easy to replicate, so I hope that their support can figure it out. I guess you have to reset the unit every other time you use it? The SG2.5 is looking mighty fine right about now.[/quote]

Unfortunately, restoring to factory default was probably the only thing can be done. Anyway, I ordered one this past Saturday (before the issue showed up in the thread). I'll try it out as soon as I can and post what I find.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the Neo and have played one round with it. I didn't have any issues with the belt clip breaking and it never fell out of the holster once. It performed well during the round. The only issue I have is that when you change to the next hole, it defaults to the "center" yardage, where I prefer the Front, Center, Back screen, so I have to change it every hole.

After seeing this thread, I turned my unit on and saw the checksum error. I tooled around in it and started a few games, but never came across corrupt screens. I went ahead and reset it and will see if it happens again. I've emailed their tech support.

That's definitely not good if two units are experiencing the same problems. I talked with iGolf yesterday about the Neo unit and informed that I had heard of units causing the files to go corrupt and they said they were unaware of this being an issue. Hopefully, since these units are newer they will figure it out and get the problem fixed.

I am interested to see what happens. This just keeps me in limbo. I would go with a GPS Golf Guru right now if I knew the company would be around for a few years, but who knows? They have a great product for what I have gathered, but not as strongly backed as other GPS units on the market. iGolf is cheaper and at least you know it will be around for a little while.

I just hope I can get my mind made up before the official start of golf season here in KY.

[quote name='stevestrike' post='853379' date='Jan 7 2008, 07:14 PM']An update on the corrupted course problem:

I recieved an email response that basically stated, "reset your unit back to factory defaults" Well, yeah I can do that but I will lose all my courses, and have to re-sync.

I emailed him back and told him that that was not a solution to my problem. We'll see what happens next.

Then I did what the guy said, and restored my Neo to factory defaults. Then I loaded some courses back into it. They were fine. Then I turned the unit off and on about four times. After that, one of the courses was corrupt again. This was very easy to replicate, so I hope that their support can figure it out. I guess you have to reset the unit every other time you use it? The SG2.5 is looking mighty fine right about now.[/quote]

I have had an Igolf for almost 2 years. For me from the beginning the support was great. Emails are really easy, but trust me when I say this give them a call. I spent an hour with Mike on the phone after I first got it. Nothing was wrong with the unit, but for some reason we could not figure out why courses tried to attach to a game on my computer. He stayed 50 minutes past what he was suppose to be there just to help me get a course uploaded the right way. To me that is top notch service.

Another incident was when I asked for a course to be mapped. They said it could not be done at that moment. Well my membership ran out and 3 months later they added the course. Called back one of the guys and he asked for my email and shot me the course. Told him my membership was over he said no problem. Again another good example.

Now I have a friend who just got a Neo and no problems as of yet. It could be you just got a bad apple. It does happen, but I would just suggest calling them.

[quote name='mcbush25' post='854177' date='Jan 8 2008, 10:08 AM']I talked with iGolf yesterday about the Neo unit and informed that I had heard of units causing the files to go corrupt and they said they were unaware of this being an issue.[/quote]
That's the part of this that ticks me off. They better acknowledge the problem, or they will get nothing but ill-will from their users, who are the ones who tell everyone else to go buy one, or to steer clear.

I did get in contact with a higher-up yesterday, so I'll wait and see.

I did some testing and was able to confirm that the course file is getting corrupted inside of the Neo. Interestingly, if you dump the file back onto your computer, and then try to load it onto the Neo again, it will not go. This is a v1.0 product, so I may be able to wait for a software update to fix this. It's never easy being an early adopter.

[quote]Now I have a friend who just got a Neo and no problems as of yet. It could be you just got a bad apple. It does happen, but I would just suggest calling them.[/quote]That would be two bad apples. My friend has a unit also that did the corrupt course thing yesterday.

If anyone else here finds the corrupted course problem, please contact them so we can make this problem known!

Also, if any of you with Neo's are willing to help test this, I will email you the (clean) course file that ends up getting corrupted for us. Maybe it's just a few particular courses?

[quote name='mcbush25' post='854938' date='Jan 8 2008, 05:49 PM']Any word from iGolf yet on the problem??[/quote]

Probably not. I've reported this problem weeks ago. Usually takes a few days for a response. I've only got the 'reset device' and see if that works.

Here's what I have found. If you load courses and don't do any mapping the unit will work fine and is very accurate. Once you try to edit a point the file will (start) to become corrupt. (I've reset twice and it did not corrupt the file immediately - it did before reset). The mapped point will be incorrect after registering. I remained at a mapped point after registering and it read 30 yards. It is very accurate if you leave it alone until hopefully a fix. We measured it against a Pinseeker and it was within 3 - 5 yards all day.

Quick update because this deserves it before I hit the sack:

I spoke with some people at iGolf/L1 today, and things are looking up. I'll post more when I have some details.

1. One problem resolved--see my post #23 in this thread. The "missing course data" is not really a problem after all.
2. I've received some new course files from them that so far (knock on wood) have not corrupted despite my best efforts.
3. I received a telephone call from the president of the company this afternoon. Although I did not have a chance to speak with him, or call him back (he left his cell#), it was nice to know they are getting involved. People from L1 are reading this thread, and so they are listening.

[quote name='stevestrike' post='855499' date='Jan 8 2008, 11:10 PM']Quick update because this deserves it before I hit the sack:

I spoke with some people at iGolf/L1 today, and things are looking up. I'll post more when I have some details.

1. One problem resolved--see my post #23 in this thread. The "missing course data" is not really a problem after all.
2. I've received some new course files from them that so far (knock on wood) have not corrupted despite my best efforts.
3. I received a telephone call from the president of the company this afternoon. Although I did not have a chance to speak with him, or call him back (he left his cell#), it was nice to know they are getting involved. People from L1 are reading this thread, and so they are listening.[/quote]

That is great to hear. Now if the course file wont get corrupted after you add points then you should be in business. I like to hear that the President of the company called you, that makes me feel that they care.

I'm still torn though.

I spoke with the president of L1 Technologies this afternoon. It showed a genuine level of concern on his part for him to take time out of his day to call me yesterday, and I wanted to tell him that I appreciated that.

Anyway, he told me some of the people they have working on this, and it seemed to be a very big priority for them. After our conversation, I have no doubt this will be resolved quickly.

Their sales guy Mike Cecchin has also been very helpful. I don't want to jump the gun, but what Mike and I have tried seems to have worked, and I think this corrupt course file problem will no longer be an issue. At this point, I'm not planning on returning my unit anymore. I'll post back full details when I can say for sure what's going on.

I am definitely considering the Neo right now. It seems that they are really concerned with the problem and looking to fix it. I also know that they have a majority of the courses I play already mapped so it would save me some time as compared to the GPS Golf Guru in which I would have to map all of my courses, but one.

Looks like it is iGolf for me.

I got the Neo over the holidays. Have played several courses using it and it is an absolutely great piece of technology. As someone who enjoys walking it provides all the relevant info I need per hole. Though I have used the course mapping feature a few times I have found that I don't need it as much as I thought I would. The unit provides enough info to help make good club selections. One minor quibble is that the unit does not automatically advance from hole to hole. You have to manually tell it which hole you are on so it has a fairly high figit factor which might prove annoying for some. Not a problem for me.

The belt clip is really useless. Its not really practicle taking it in and out from hole to hole. It is small enough to slip into your pocket unobtrusively.

The major issue I have with the unit is the that periodically course info will get "corrupted" during a round. I still get basic info for distance to front, middle and back of green but everything else is gibberish. I have spoken to tech support and their solution is to delete all courses on the unit and re-sync. I have done this and the problem still occurs again. This happens for different courses regardless of whether I have tried to map any hole or not. I will be returning my unit for a replacement but my experience and what I have read on this forum I am not very confident that the performance will be any better in which case I will be asking for a refund.

This review is as much for iGolf as it is for people who are thinking of buying this unit. It really is a GREAT unit in concept, price and functionality but this course corruption issue MUST be resolved quickly if this is going to be the huge winner it has the potential of becoming. I am a real fan and I'm hopeful but I am also a consumer who wants a working as advertised unit.

[quote name='tch_a' post='866418' date='Jan 16 2008, 01:12 PM']I got the Neo over the holidays. Have played several courses using it and it is an absolutely great piece of technology.[/quote]It really is, isn't it?

[quote]The belt clip is really useless. Its not really practicle taking it in and out from hole to hole. It is small enough to slip into your pocket unobtrusively.[/quote]This is also very true. I've mentioned it to the iGolf people now, so hopefully they do something about it. In the meantime, we found some really great cellphone holsters that fit the Neo like a glove!

[quote]The major issue I have with the unit is the that periodically course info will get "corrupted" during a round. I still get basic info for distance to front, middle and back of green but everything else is gibberish. I have spoken to tech support and their solution is to delete all courses on the unit and re-sync....
This review is as much for iGolf as it is for people who are thinking of buying this unit. It really is a GREAT unit in concept, price and functionality but this course corruption issue MUST be resolved quickly if this is going to be the huge winner it has the potential of becoming. I am a real fan and I'm hopeful but I am also a consumer who wants a working as advertised unit.[/quote]
It seems that this is the common problem that most Neo users have. iGolf told us today that they are extending the 30-day satisfaction policy for anyone who calls about this particular problem. So if your unit has this, you should let them know it (nicely!) Based on my conversations with some people over at iGolf, I have every reason to believe that they are working as quickly as possible to get a fix for this issue.

The truth is, I've got a Neo, a GolfGuru, and a SG2.5 sitting right here with me. I've run them all through their paces, and can tell you that for the money, the Neo wins hands down. *If* they can resolve the mystery of the corrupting courses.

The Sky Caddie unit has the slickest interface, the nicest screen, and the really cool intelligreen feature. It is also $260 vs. $150 for the Neo. I really like how the Neo handles course files, and lets you back them up, transfer them, and keep track of everything right on your own computer. With Sky Golf you are captive to their website/service to even use your unit.

I also found out that when you map your own course, the SkyCaddie only lets you map F/B/C. It's no better than a sprinkler head. And to top it off, you can only map 5 custom courses. Ugh...

The Neo lets you store 10, and map as many as you want thanks to the software they use. I could have custom maps for dozens of courses. I could share custom mapped courses with people in my area (Hint: iGolf are you listening? Here's a huge opportunity for creating a community of users and buzz about your product!).

I got my Neo today. The weather isn't right for putting it to the test yet, but I did speak with someone about my concerns of the corruption that has taken place in files and they informed me that they are working on an update to fix this problem. They are taking it serious and are diligently working to fix the problem.

Sorry if this is a threadjack, but it seems like the most logical place to ask this question as it pertains to igolf and other GPS units.

I saw on the igolf website that the premapped courses are available via subscription (which I don't have now because I don't own an igolf unit). What format are these premapped courses in? I'm wondering whether or not they would be compatable with other GPS's or if it'd be possible to call the map up as a standalone image so I could trace it as a map overlay.

[quote name='jcjr34' post='867698' date='Jan 17 2008, 07:54 AM']What format are these premapped courses in? I'm wondering whether or not they would be compatable with other GPS's or if it'd be possible to call the map up as a standalone image so I could trace it as a map overlay.[/quote]
The courses are proprietary for each GPS unit, so no you cannot use them with other units, nor are they in an "image" format. They are basically a set of coordinates that correspond to the green targets and and custom targets. In a nutshell, the GPS knows where itself is, and then calculates how far the coordinate is from that position.

Eric, it's hard to say right now. If you're reading the other GPS threads going on right now, you'll know that I also have a GolfGuru and a SG2.5 in my possession. The Guru is definitely going back. That one doesn't even get an on-course test, I'm afraid to say.

The SG2.5 is really nice, although I don't like the cost and lack of custom points. However, for the $100 or so price difference you get a lot from the SG2.5 over the Neo. A better interface, a nicer screen, more mapped points, auto hole advance, auto target advance, a clock, and intelligreen (which is really pretty cool). Are those features worth the extra money? That's the real question.

I think (hope?) that it will only be a matter of time before someone knocks SkyCaddie off the top of the GPS food chain, but whoever it is will have to hit the ground running, and so far the Neo hasn't done that. It has a lot going for it, I just don't know how much longer it will be before they perfect it. They have to perfect it, they have too much riding on it not to.

Sucks that you guys are having a few bugs with the NEO... I just got the caddieII and it is fantastic. It is a little on the large size, but I use a push cart, so no worries there, and it's easy to see. As for the SG2.5, another thing I like better about the iGolf is that I can use rechargeable batteries or regular ones... and if the unit dies while I'm on the course, I can just throw some new batteries in. Or if I"m on the way to the course and realize I forgot to charge it, no big deal, where as with the SG2.5, if it's not charged your screwed. The yearly subscription thing really bothers me about skygolf too, but man intelligreen is cool. Still, in the end... I think iGolf wins whether it be the NEO or the CaddieII.

[quote name='howeracing' post='874672' date='Jan 21 2008, 08:01 AM']Does the Caddie II auto advance to the next hole? thanks.[/quote]

No, you move the toggle button to the right or left to select holes. I actually like this since if you are playing a muni, or a course with a lot of close fairways, the unit doesn't auto switch you to the wrong hole. And moving to the next hole is as simple as one push of a button.

looking to get a gps, was considering the neo till I read of the internal battery. Will leave this one and go with one I can replace batteries on the fly.
Price and size is excellent. Hopefully others will be dropping in price with the added competition.

Not changing my username but
had a hole in 1!

[quote name='jgolf' post='876697' date='Jan 22 2008, 03:02 PM']Steve/anyone
Have you had any other progress with this situation as of yet?[/quote]
My buddy got a voicemail from them today that said they were expecting the patch to be ready by late this week, as early as Wednesday even. If/when we see the patch, I will post back right away.