Who here works in the Golf Industry? - Thinking about a career change ...

afireinside

Hello All,

As stated above, I am contemplating a career/life change into the Golf Industry. I'm still a newbie as far as playing is concerned (Starting 4th Season) ... I have a good job with lots of job security ... But I'm getting tired of not loving what I do for a living.

I am a golf junkie, I cant get enough - I literally love everything there is about the sport (except pace of play lol) - I'm willing to relocate & move around the states even internationally if I have to ... I have nothing holding me back and I don't want to look back 20 years from now with regrets about not making the move.

I need to talk to people in the industry, ask questions and find out my best options for advancement ... So, if you are in the industry please post and tell me everything you possibly can - Good, bad, indifferent ... Doesn't matter - I want to gather as much information as possible before I take the leap ...

Thanks in advance

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ben w' timestamp='1393348840' post='8742216']
I can't speak for the entire industry, but if you work at a golf course inside the pro shop you probably won't play as much as you think, and the hours are rough.

Doing sales would offer you a lot of free time to be on the course, as well as taking clients out.
[/quote]

This is true. You will be really good at folding shirts though.

[quote name='jewofgolf' timestamp='1393350376' post='8742366']
IMO, you can ruin a good life with plenty of money and golf by working in golf.
[/quote]

What does that even mean? lol

I have enough money and a career to fall back on if need be ... Money isn't the issue at this point. The issue is I have a yearning for golf that I can not satisfy by doing what I am currently doing and living in NJ. I have my friends and families support and a fiancé who is willing to relocate with me.

Sounds like my mind is made up, right? lol - I really need to talk to people in the industry to help me determine an action plan & career opportunities ... I'm a "big picture" planner type guy ... Need to know what I can aspire to, set the right goals and ultimately succeed.

You only live once ... :)

Golf is a declining industry. Any job you can get in golf will pay less, require more hours, and has less security than a similar role in a non-golf business.

If you hate the weather or cost of golf where you are, then relocate. But don't enter a losing proposition because you will play less and make less than otherwise.

People in golf generally don't play much. I have met and talked with a bunch of people in the business when I was exploring the career path.

Make as much as possible and work the least hours possible for your given skills/certifications/designations/degrees and then have the money and time for enjoyable golf.

Golf maintenance. Work early and play golf the rest of the day. I'm not talking Superintendent here.....I'm talking mowing grass, cutting cups, fixing sprinkler systems, building stuff. I know I just started but, yikes........in at 5am and out by 11:30 most days, some as early as out at 8am, some as late as 1pm. Then I have the whole day to do want ever I want. Play golf, go fishing, work around the house, go out with my wife. You name it. I'm done with high pressure, big money jobs, no more.....I'll take low pressure, low pay, tons of fun, any day of the week.

Here is my point of view and you can take it with a grain of salt. I have worked in a grass roots pro shop w/ a full service double deck driving range and course. Over the past 5 years I've worked duties both in the shop and range. I'm not in the PGA program and I have no desire to be.

I have seen good people get run over by the requirements and costs to become a PGA certified pro. There are registration fees, orientations you must attend in Florida, books, course work etc. The pay is minimal while trying to do this. It's a total monoploy or "boys club" and if you don't belong to a financially stable wife or family it's a hard membership to join.

On top of the fee's and course work and apprenticeship hours you have to log, you also must pass the PAT. The PAT should be your first step to see if a career as a PGA professional is the route you want to go down.

In all honesty most of my good friends have left thier asst pro/pro positions for other jobs that they have networked through thier position. You'll find that the PGA has a pay grade structure to each position much like any large corporation. You start at the bottom for peanuts. The jobs at the top are few and far between in this economy and there are thousands of over qualified pro's waiting to take those. Imagine how many PGA cert members would apply for a dream position at a Pebble? Get the picture? Only the well connected achieve greatness in this industry. Hard work get's you nowhere fast and pay should match that effort. That's why I only work P/T these days in the industry for perks.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

Working in golf has to be the most ridiculous oversold notion there is. Don't believe the commercials on TV with all those smiling faces saying they are doing this or that for the game, getting better everyday, making a difference, etc. You know that's a commercial, right? You know flight attendants don't do what they do because it's just so fun to walk up and down an aisle handing out peanuts, right?

It's really sad that so much of golf is about this nonsensical, pat ourselves on the back, mentality of how great and upstanding and moral we all are. Golf is just like life, blah, blah, blah. Look, golf is a fun game, but working in that industry is more akin to being in a retail store working your way up into middle management than it is about this ridiculous and self-righteous image golf wants to present.

Unless you passed up college and lucked your way into a good paying job that you sense is going to stop being such a good job in the near future, you need to get a better sense of how much of a joke those TV commercials really are.

Go into your local pro shop and ask yourself if you really want to be the guy behind the counter. How happy does he look? Is he playing golf? No, he's working a register. Is he fitting people for clubs? Not normally. Typically he's folding shirts, apologizing for something the course did wrong to some jackass or spending 16 hours behind the counter organizing a tournament. Is he driving around the course asking how people are doing, getting to know people? No, he's politely BS'ing and smiling at the huge line of 30 handicap duffers who reserved their times on GolfNow but forgot to print their online receipts.

The truth is, any place that's making money is going to demand a lot of your time, effort, patience, energy, etc. Worse yet, any place that isn't making good money is going to try and demand ever more of you for even less pay.

Now, that being the case, no one ever got to where they wanted to be by hesitating. If you're going to do this you might as well get out there tomorrow and start down the path. If you fail, it'll be over a few days sooner and if you succeed you'll be glad you did. The ONLY THING YOU CAN DO in life is to make a decision and then spend the rest of your life trying to make sure it was the right one.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

[quote name='MelloYello' timestamp='1393367319' post='8744344']
Working in golf has to be the most ridiculous oversold notion there is.
[/quote]

I think the entire notion of "Do what you love and it will pay off" is oversold far too much and heavily romanticized by Americans in general. Bottom line, money cannot buy happiness, but being financially secure gives you much more freedom to explore what does make you happy. Now im not advocating selling out and getting into a job you hate just for financial gain, but I believe there is a happy medium of doing things you can enjoy/tolerate daily while pulling in a decent income, which allows you the time/resources to explore what you truly love outside of it. But agreed, end of the day, any job that is going to pay well, required significant time/effort

9 times out of 10, relying on something you love for financial security can easily lead to a love/hate or full on hate/hate relationship.

[quote name='afireinside' timestamp='1393352514' post='8742634']
[/quote]

I have enough money and a career to fall back on if need be ... Money isn't the issue at this point. The issue is I have a yearning for golf that I can not satisfy by doing what I am currently doing and living in NJ. I have my friends and families support and a fiancé who is willing to relocate with me.

Sounds like my mind is made up, right? lol -[b] I really need to talk to people in the industry to help me determine an action plan & career opportunities ... I'm a "big picture" planner type guy ... Need to know what I can aspire to, set the right goals and ultimately succeed.[/b]

[/quote]

To use your words, "What does that even mean"?

Without a more specific agenda/objective, you're probably toast.

Mello hit it right on, IMO. I was at the same point you are maybe 10 years ago. Well, kind of. I was a Sophomore/Junior in college and trying to figure out what I really wanted to do. I have always had a huge passion for the game of golf. I worked guest service / asst at a course for a handful of years throughout high school and the early part of college. I did what bpark suggested and took the PAT just to see if this was even going to be an option, passed first time. That opened the door to go into the program so I did exactly what you're doing now...started asking around.

I asked all the guys at the course I was working what they thought of their jobs. They had the same story as me for the most part, loved the game of golf, couldn't see doing anything else. But...once they got older, got married and had kids, things changed. They would spend 50 hours a week behind the desk making not a whole lot doing EXACTLY what Mello talked about, then giving lessons outside that to make more money to hope and crack $50,000/year. They were doing this probably 60-80 hours a week all in all, at least. So they didn't really have a $50,000 year job, did they? They really had like 2 $25,000/year jobs.

They told me they got into it because they loved to play. That's the key...they loved PLAYING golf. Here's the thing though...they never did. The time spent behind the desk and giving lessons left little time for the rest of their life. So, when they weren't working their 60-80 hours a week, they wanted to be with their wives, friends and kids, not playing golf. We're all only given 24 hours in a day, no one can change that.

I look back now and don't regret not taking that path for a second. I make enough money at my job where my wife can be a full-time mom to our 3 year old daughter and soon to be 2nd something. I don't see my daughter as often as I'd like, but I'm not sure if that's really possible. I work 50-60 hours a week normally but have a relatively flexible schedule, being able to work from home now and then, maybe once or twice a week. I gladly take that versus me doing something I might enjoy more (working in golf) but forcing my wife to go off to work and send our kid(s) to daycare so we can make ends meet. I wanted to give her the choice. If she wanted to keep being a Physical Therapist, no problem. But I wanted to give her the choice. And I know every day she's glad I did.

That's my perspective. Back to a few of the guys I asked about going into the profession. One was Golf Operations Manager, one was the Assistant Golf Op Mgr, and the other was General Manager. Out of those three, two of them left the industry altogether (the GOM and GM) and the Assistant GOM is now GOM at the same course. His wife happens to be a doctor of some sort so he doesn't need to spend as much time giving lessons as she's making pretty decent coin as it is.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='afireinside' timestamp='1393346444' post='8741944']
Hello All,

As stated above, I am contemplating a career/life change into the Golf Industry. I'm still a newbie as far as playing is concerned (Starting 4th Season) ... I have a good job with lots of job security ... But I'm getting tired of not loving what I do for a living.

I am a golf junkie, I cant get enough - I literally love everything there is about the sport (except pace of play lol) - I'm willing to relocate & move around the states even internationally if I have to ... I have nothing holding me back and I don't want to look back 20 years from now with regrets about not making the move.

I need to talk to people in the industry, ask questions and find out my best options for advancement ... So, if you are in the industry please post and tell me everything you possibly can - Good, bad, indifferent ... Doesn't matter - I want to gather as much information as possible before I take the leap ...

Thanks in advance
[/quote]I worked in the industry at many levels, including as a pro. If you like to play, don't even think about it. But if you enjoy helping others enjoy their day?, do it.. simple as that really

Titleist 910 D3 Tour AD DI7
Titleist 906 F UST V2
Callaway RAZR X Muscle Back (3-pw)
Cleveland 588 52,58
Callaway MD 64 degree
YES! Sandy 12

[quote name='Krt22' timestamp='1393368762' post='8744548']
[quote name='MelloYello' timestamp='1393367319' post='8744344']
Working in golf has to be the most ridiculous oversold notion there is.
[/quote]

[b]I think the entire notion of "Do what you love and it will pay off"[/b] is oversold far too much and heavily romanticized by Americans in general. Bottom line, money cannot buy happiness, but being financially secure gives you much more freedom to explore what does make you happy. Now im not advocating selling out and getting into a job you hate just for financial gain, but I believe there is a happy medium of doing things you can enjoy/tolerate daily while pulling in a decent income, which allows you the time/resources to explore what you truly love outside of it. But agreed, end of the day, any job that is going to pay well, required significant time/effort

9 times out of 10, relying on something you love for financial security can easily lead to a love/hate or full on hate/hate relationship.
[/quote]

I think you can make a career out of doing something that you love but as eagles said above, you better have a specific goal, and you better be ready to work your a** off. If OP's goal is to 'work in the golf industry' then that could mean anything really from being a frog-man that goes into scummy ponds picking out old Bridgestones to traveling around selling clubs for a manufacturer. There are a ton of different things you can do.

The other aspect that you mention is that once something becomes your job, it starts to get a lot less fun. I know plenty of musicians who got gigs as promoters or sales guys at guitar center and they hate their lives. They may not hate music but it definitely doesn't excite them as much as it once did.

The thing about the golf industry is that it can take the game you love, and turn it into work. As many have said, pros don't play as much as you think- plus when given the chance to play or go do something else, many times they choose not to play because the game has become work and they have been at the course for 50-70 hours per week.

how old are you? how good of a player are you? do you have the skill set to become a pro?

These days, getting a good job is generally possible by having some sort of connection to the industry aka someone to get you in there, get you started. The fact that your asking people what to do and how to do it on a forum tells me you do not have that at all. It sounds like you have basically made your mind up yet I do not think you have talked to a pro or anyone to help you with the next step. Every industry is tough now. I am an engineering grad and I can tell you that even in my field (where there are not as many people looking for jobs as there are in golf) it is very hard to find a job and usually you need someone to help you get your foot in the door.

Taylormade R1
Titleist 913F 15*(set to 16.5*)
Taylormade Rescue11 19*
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW
Vokey SM4 50*, TVD-K 56 (bent to 55)
SC Select Newport 2

If you love golf, love playing it, and already have a good job I'd say stick with what you're doing. Job security isn't good, pay isn't good, you don't really play that much, and it can definitely make you want to drink your bodyweight in beer some days. But like you said you don't want to have any regrets, so it may be something you're willing to sacrifice. If you go the PGA route make sure you can pass the playing ability test. I know plenty of smart people who are more than capable of being outstanding golf professionals who can't pass a PAT.

[quote name='afireinside' timestamp='1393352514' post='8742634']
[/quote]

Sounds like my mind is made up, right? lol - I really need to talk to people in the industry to help me determine an action plan & career opportunities ... I'm a "big picture" planner type guy ... Need to know what I can aspire to, set the right goals and ultimately succeed.

[/quote]

Well if you really want good advice, I would recommend letting us or someone who is helping you with this decision know what you have your degrees in, what your current job is, whether you are a more or less sociable person. For instance if you have experience engineering you could be on the tech side. If you have business experience you could be on the sales side. If you have architectural experience, you could look at course design. If you have a background in sports medicine or something like that you could look at training. If you have a background in journalism you could look at publications or broadcast journalism. Hard to help without more info which could be helpful for people. And if you put that out about yourself there may be someone looking for someone just like you! Of course, if you want to work at a golf course, just fill out an application!

Another thing I'll add into this as well...as said, there are many different ways to work in the golf industry. If you're a social media guy, follow some of the Callaway guys. I promise you, they LOVE what they do and that's very evident. Harry Arnett just wrote a really good piece on their website about how he got into golf. He didn't work at a course (actually trespassed on many) and really just found his way in. Now he's an SVP of a major OEM. There are many different routes to take, I think most of us, including myself, assumed you wanted to take the route of working at a course as a teaching professional.

That may not be the case at all. The first way to get into the industry is to apply. Somewhere, doing something. The guy who builds clubs for Callaway staffers? Started in customer service there and bounced around. Now he builds clubs for Phil Mickelson. The guy who does all the wedge stamping? Same thing...customer service, then moved into that area. You'll be starting fresh and new, and if you're willing to start a whole new career, I suggest mapping out where you want to go and figure out a plan to get there. Reach out to those guys, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to answer some questions.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

And the trolling begins ...

I was trying to use this forum as a Think Tank = Like minded people, progressive thinking, idea sharing, ETC.

Clearly my idea is flawed ... Hence why I floated this topic in an open forum. I wanted to use this thread as a Q & A session. Not an open bash to my dreams ...

This thread will be closed and I will no longer open threads on golfwrx ...

Thanks guys! - Just when I thought there was hope for humanity in this world ... you trolls/bashers proved me wrong once again.

AFI = OUT

All I can say is wow, really!

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I worked golf retail and at a golf store when I was in high school, the one advice I got constantly from the folks working in the field was if I love to play golf then don't' get a job in the golf industry because you'll never get to play. I'm sure e this isn't the case everywhere, but there must be something to it since I was constantly being told this by different people.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Friend of mine made a move to golf about 10 years ago. Left a pretty good job in insurance and moved to Florida and bought an off course golf shop. Ran it for 5 years and essentially ran out of money. It's a tough gig. Plus, he never got to play golf. Ever. After 5 years he's just now getting back into playing a little bit.

There are some top golf jobs out there but getting into position to make a good living in golf is not easy.

Even if you are fortunate enough to land a top spot....you ain't gonna be playing much golf.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

My only suggestion would be to try to get a golf-related position in the field you are in, if possible. If you are in marketing, try to get on with a manufacturer, resort, golf management company, etc. If you re in finance, try to find a golf company looking for a finance guy. So on and so on.

I have said it here before I think, but my experience working with pro sports teams taught em the best way to resent something you love is to see how the sausage gets made, so to speak. If you are set on moving into the golf industry - definitely try to get something that keeps you working on your current career. That way, if need be, you can jump back out of the golf world if you have a similar experience as most, and you won't have lost much career-wise.