The Single Malt Scotch Thread

cardoustie

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1393042863' post='8720324']
[attachment=2080154:image.jpg]
[/quote]

Oban is good. Need to get another bottle of the 14 for regular consumption. Costco has it for cheap! Another regular is Macallans 18 and I recently had a bottle of the 25 as well as whatever they call their 120 proof. Another good brand is Balvenie.

After 2 1/2 months of winter and countless bottles of single malts and blends.......I got the scale this morning.

There will be no more Scotches until I drop 15. Maybe 20 lbs.

Gonna miss my late evening relaxation....

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1393338911' post='8741090']
After 2 1/2 months of winter and countless bottles of single malts and blends.......I got the scale this morning.

[/quote]

Ha! I hear ya.

I have toned it down myself and usually only drink it before dinner when I go out to eat.

Unless I go drinking, which is very rare these days unfortunately. Then I will drop 3 or 4 (maybe more?ha!) nice tumblers on the rocks with a splash of water. If I really get going, for some reason I might even switch over to bourbon at the end of the night.

That's when the trouble/fun starts! But, alas, those nights are very few and far between these days.

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1393343723' post='8741622']

[/quote]

Ha! I hear ya.

I have toned it down myself and usually only drink it before dinner when I go out to eat.

Unless I go drinking, which is very rare these days unfortunately. Then I will drop 3 or 4 (maybe more?ha!) nice tumblers on the rocks with a splash of water. If I really get going, for some reason I might even switch over to bourbon at the end of the night.

That's when the trouble/fun starts! But, alas, those nights are very few and far between these days.
[/quote]

I have not gained any weight since I started enjoying it.... But I only drink 1 sometimes 2 shots and at most four times a week. One shot is less than 100 calories from what I have gathered.

It's just like anything else, moderation is the key.

In the last few months I have really grown a taste for this stuff. I was never really into wine and I love beer but I hate the calories it adds. I have always been a straight Vodka guy until I came across this thread. I think I now have 6-7 bottles of Scotch and can really taste the difference in each bottle. I enjoy all of them, some for the fruity flavors, others for the smoke. I even appreciate the dry medicinal ones. It's crazy how your pallet grows and becomes more advanced. The other thing that I am really starting to appreciate is the nose that some of them have. Glenlivet Nadurra is one that I can just sit and smell, it reminds me of eating a big piece of wasabi or horseradish in the way it opens you up.

[/quote]

Ha! I hear ya.

[/quote]

Wow. I have drunk-ted many scotches in my time....but I've never had the urge to switch over to bourbon as a final nite-cap. I really don't even know what to say about that.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1393572162' post='8763416']
Ive made a vow to get an incredible sandwich and post a pic to taunt you people the way I've been taunted here.
[/quote]

We probably deserve it....Since your're in California and I'm over 2000 miles from the nearest In-n-Out burger....that would probably do it.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1393596303' post='8764136']

[/quote]

Ha! I hear ya.

[/quote]

Wow. I have drunk-ted many scotches in my time....but I've never had the urge to switch over to bourbon as a final nite-cap. I really don't even know what to say about that.
[/quote]

" Now by this time I'm plenty high,
You know when your mouth a-getting dry you're plenty high
Looked down the bar I say to my bartender
I said "Look man, come down here", he got down there
So what you want this time?
I said "Look man, a-what time is it?"
He said "The clock on the wall say three o'clock.
Last call for alcohol, so what you need?"

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer

No, I ain't seen my baby since a nigh' on a week,
Gotta get drunk man, so I can't even speak
Gonna get high man, listen to me,
One drink ain't enough Jack, you better make it three
I wanna get drunk, I'm gonna make it real clear,
I want one bourbon, one scotch and one beer

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer"

Haha! Those were the days.....

[quote name='Va_Golfer86' timestamp='1393728129' post='8775104']
Had some Aberlour 16 tonight. It was delicious! Not too sweet--but if you like sherry, give it a try.
[/quote]

It's been on my list for a while!!! They don't sell it at Costco.... The deals that you can get at Costco are just too hard to say no to. Bottles that go for $80 at BevMo or Total Wine go for $50 at Costco.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1393343924' post='8741656']
I have not gained any weight since I started enjoying it.... But I only drink 1 sometimes 2 shots and at most four times a week. One shot is less than 100 calories from what I have gathered.

[/quote]

totally agree about the moderation thing. why muddy up the enjoyment of actually drinking the scotch with something as trivial as being inebriated? if one is drinking single malt scotch to get drunk, they're missing the point. in my opinion. :)

sidenote: scratch, i know you are new to this, so one small correction. scotch, although measured by 'shots' when pouring, is rarely referred in those terms.

i've used the following terms with varying success in local pubs:
- a single (or double)
- a small one (or a big one)
- a dram
- a wee measure
- a finger (or two)
- a nip
- a quick pull

wait, are we still talking about scotch? got distracted there.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Back when I began practicing law, 1973, here in Boulder single malt meant Glenlivit. Eventually there were many scotches and it was very popular in the legal profession. It was a real status symbol because is cost more than most booze. I went to a scotch tasting in Boulder put on by Liquor Mart and was stunned by the differences among single malts.

I am surprised by all the comments here about Lagavulin. It is one of my favorites as well but expensive and I don't drink it often, just for special occasions. It is an Islay malt which are all peaty tasting and I have many friends that won't touch it. In the beginning our favorite was Macallan. And I have had a few bottles of the 18 yo and understand the 25 yo is a bucket list item although I have never had that. I have had a 21 yo Balvenie and love that distillery. Right now I am drinking a Highland Park 12 yo and now buy scotch based upon the deals. There are many good ones, actually can't think of any that I just don't like at all. If I had unlimited money I would go with either Laguvulin or Macallan, as old as there is.

As far as how to drink it, a couple of people have mentioned "neat" which the Scots use to describe straight whiskey, two fingers, with just a jolt of fresh water. That is how I understand they drink it in the old country. In addition I use a Riedel scotch glass. You can get them on Amazon for about $20. All very traditional and cool. I will say, however, that I also enjoy a cold martini too.

Callaway XR, 10.5. Fujikura Pro, R
Callaway XR, 15*
Taylormade SLDR 19*
Mizuno MP 64 4-PW, Project X 5.0
Cameron Studio Selecot Newport 2
Mizuno 52, Titleist Vokey 56, 60

okay, i am seeking opinions from all you scotch experts.

i've recently celebrated a watershed lifetime milestone, and want to buy a 'special occasion' scotch. must be an 18 year old version. the bottle itself will not be opened for 18 years, so i'm going as top shelf as i can. i rarely venture older than the 16 yr old lagavulin, so i need guidance in this very special purchase. i'm not opposed to getting a specialty 'cask strength' version, or a special limited release. if there was a way to get the bottle engraved, or have some special wrapping with custom text done, i'd love to hear about it.

budget: $500

if you haven't caught my earlier posts in this thread, i enjoy a wide range of single malts. everything from a good speyside, to an peaty islay. i do not prefer sherry-finished scotches as much as other iterations. laprohaig 10 killed that brand for me unfortunately, so the 18 yr old version of that one is out.

current top 3:
lagavulin 16
balvenie caribbean cask
oban 14

many thanks for your help!

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I would reflexively say Macallan 18 as that is one of my all time favorites. Your budget will take care of it although I don't think your budget will get you the 25. But you eliminate sherry finished scotch which is basically Macallan. So I would vote for the Lagavulin. I have never had Balvenie Caribbean Cask but in a blind taste test on a fishing trip in Wyoming a year ago, Balvenie Doublewood beat the Oban easily.

Callaway XR, 10.5. Fujikura Pro, R
Callaway XR, 15*
Taylormade SLDR 19*
Mizuno MP 64 4-PW, Project X 5.0
Cameron Studio Selecot Newport 2
Mizuno 52, Titleist Vokey 56, 60

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1394554157' post='8847773']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1393343924' post='8741656']

[/quote]

totally agree about the moderation thing. why muddy up the enjoyment of actually drinking the scotch with something as trivial as being inebriated? if one is drinking single malt scotch to get drunk, they're missing the point. in my opinion. :)

sidenote: scratch, i know you are new to this, so one small correction. scotch, although measured by 'shots' when pouring, is rarely referred in those terms.

i've used the following terms with varying success in local pubs:
- a single (or double)
- a small one (or a big one)
- a dram
- a wee measure
- a finger (or two)
- a nip
- a quick pull

wait, are we still talking about scotch? got distracted there.
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up, you have been extremely helpful to me. I think we have very similar tastes in Scotch, we both like the nutty, smokey, stringed nosed ones. I have learned a lot from this thread and a few websites. I think my next bottle will be a Balvenie. I picked up a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 and it is far and away my least favorite bottle, way too sweet.

Here is what I own now in order of favorite to least fav.

Hyland Park 15
Lagavulin 16
Oban 18
Glenlivet Nadurra
Monkey Shoulder (blended)
Glenfiddich

if you are not a favor of the sweeter version of scotch, do not get the balvenie caribbean cask. finished in old rum casks, it's one of the more sweeter scotches i've personally tried. i do love it though. nice change of pace for me. the doublewood is very good, but still on the sweeter side. i'd recommend the single barrel or peated cask, both of which are fantastic. to me, balvenie is one of the top distilleries in terms of top notch variety. i think they've perfected the 'finishing' aspect for their scotches, but still can do up a single malt/single barrel like nobody's business. hope this helps. enjoy!

question for you: how's the oban 18? i've only had the 14 myself (and really enjoyed it).

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Thanks for the heads up! I am going to go shopping this weekend, will either pickup one nicer bottle or two decent bottles. The Oban 18 has not been opened yet, I have been holding out on that one.

Have you tried the Glenfiddich 15? I have only tried a small sample of Scotch while my pallet is pretty raw, but I was wondering if you would consider it sweet? There is just something about it that is off. On the other hand the [color="#282828"][size=4]Glenlivet Nadurra was a huge [/size]surprise[size=4] for me. I went through that bottle quick, [/size]every time[size=4] I went to get another "pour" I was reaching for that. [/size][/color]

[color=#282828][size=4]Last night I had a sample of the HP 15 and Lagavulin, I can easily see why Lagavulin is the staple for so many drinkers. [/size][/color]

[color="#282828"][size=4]I think I need to do a better job of researching why I like the bottles that I do and how they are made so that I can make more well informed purchases. This stuff is [/size]fascinating[size=4] but can also be a bit overwhelming to a [/size]newbie[size=4]. [/size][/color]

of all the readily available 'glen' scotches, i prefer the glenlivet 12 or 18 (but never the glenlivet 15 - french oak does not agree with me for whatever reason). i don't remember if i've had the glenfiddich 15, so i'm no help there. :(

as a relative newby meself, i am still on a mission of experimentation and palate expansion. my only true disaster was laphrohaig 10. i'll try it again in a later age in a few years, but for now, it did nothing good for me. my current goal is to try to drink scotches from each of the regions and identify my favorites from there. to me, learning about scotch is kind of like learning the golf swing or (even better) learning about art. a quest (hopefully) never to be completed because the journey is so damn fun.

scratch, one thing i wish i did when i started: keep a scotch notebook/tasting journal. sounds very fou-fou i know, but when you're only ordering a single in a rando bar somewhere, it might be worth remembering the name and age if you like it and want to buy a full bottle later.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1394811366' post='8870421']
of all the readily available 'glen' scotches, i prefer the glenlivet 12 or 18 (but never the glenlivet 15 - french oak does not agree with me for whatever reason). i don't remember if i've had the glenfiddich 15, so i'm no help there. :(

as a relative newby meself, i am still on a mission of experimentation and palate expansion. my only true disaster was laphrohaig 10. i'll try it again in a later age in a few years, but for now, it did nothing good for me. my current goal is to try to drink scotches from each of the regions and identify my favorites from there. to me, learning about scotch is kind of like learning the golf swing or (even better) learning about art. a quest (hopefully) never to be completed because the journey is so damn fun.

scratch, one thing i wish i did when i started: keep a scotch notebook/tasting journal. sounds very fou-fou i know, but when you're only ordering a single in a rando bar somewhere, it might be worth remembering the name and age if you like it and want to buy a full bottle later.
[/quote]

I am going to study where each bottle I have tried is from and casks that were used to help me decide my next purchase. Not buying from Costco is hard though... I can get a $70 bottle for about $50 bucks. The only down side is the limited selection.

I love this thread, I've been following from the start but never chimed in. Here it goes:
Aberlour 12 - decent for everyday snorts.
Glengoyne 21 - if you have a chance to try this...well worth it.
Auchentoshan 3 wood - really really good scotch.
Cardhu 12 - nice with a flatter nose.
Jurra Superstition - light peat and light flavor...very good.
Laguvulin 16 - insanely good.
Oban 14 - was just ok for me.
Laphroig 10 - awesome peatiness...not for everyone and certainly no for starters.
Glenlivet 15 - ok...better than glenfidich 15;
Glenfidich 15 - meh.
Dalmore 15 - of the 15s...love this one the best and will get more for years to come!!!

So much scoth...so little time...or livers!

Cheers!

Titleist 910 D3 7.5* w/ GD AD DI 6 stiff
Titleist 915 FD 15* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Titleist 910 F 19* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Mizuno MP 15 4-PW w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM5 52* F w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey TVD 56* w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM6 60* S w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Piretti Matera Rev 2.0

[quote name='Coheed' timestamp='1395014647' post='8886015']
I love this thread, I've been following from the start but never chimed in. Here it goes:
Aberlour 12 - decent for everyday snorts.
Glengoyne 21 - if you have a chance to try this...well worth it.
Auchentoshan 3 wood - really really good scotch.
Cardhu 12 - nice with a flatter nose.
Jurra Superstition - light peat and light flavor...very good.
Laguvulin 16 - insanely good.
Oban 14 - was just ok for me.
Laphroig 10 - awesome peatiness...not for everyone and certainly no for starters.
Glenlivet 15 - ok...better than glenfidich 15;
Glenfidich 15 - meh.
Dalmore 15 - of the 15s...love this one the best and will get more for years to come!!!

So much scoth...so little time...or livers!

Cheers!
[/quote]

By your avatar, I can assume you love FLBP as much as I do. :)

Recommendations on an excellent 18 yr old (scotch) for me?

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5