SkyCaddie SG2.5

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took my SG4 back yesterday. My local Golfsmith didn't have the SG2.5 in stock, but they ordered it online for me. In the mail as we speak. And I got a sizable store credit to play with. ;)

Driver  Callaway Mavrik 10.5* Project X Evenflow Riptide 50
Fairway Callaway Epic Speed 15* HZRDUS Smoke

Hybrid Cobra King F8 22* Aldila Rogue Pro 75

Irons Ping G425 5-GW Power Spec DG 105

Wedges Ping Glide Stealth 54*/58* Z-Z115

Putter Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 8 35"

Ball Bridgestone e12 Contact

[quote name='Big_Guy_Who_Golfs' post='877628' date='Jan 22 2008, 10:26 PM']Took my SG4 back yesterday. My local Golfsmith didn't have the SG2.5 in stock, but they ordered it online for me. In the mail as we speak. And I got a sizable store credit to play with. ;)[/quote]
Nice, but you were the guy who started this thread and did not like the SG2.5!?! I thought that's what you meant anyway.

I think you will enjoy the SG2.5.. they really did a good job on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

After my initial charge. I used mine for about 3 rounds of 18 and 1 round of 9 holes and still has a little left on the battery meter.. I ended up leaving it on over the weekend so the battery would deplete and then recharged fully..

Also, never had any signal problems.. signal strength is always full, even when we had some real cloudy days here in So Cal...

That is why I dislike Skygolf stepping on all the smaller companies (by making unsubstantiated claims)... it would be better for us, the consumer, if a few survived.

To others, I apologize for this off topic debate.

Come on Big M. Skygolf stepping on the small guys? At one time Sky Golf was not big either. For some reason other than dumb luck, they grew and became the leader. They probably have done more right than wrong. You are using the same logic that was used against Microsoft, RIM (Blackberry), Callaway, TaylorMade, Acushnet, and I could go on and on.

Everyone "claims" their technology to be better. There are differing levels of Satellite Imagery. I can tell you that the most sophisticated Imagery such as that used by the DOD and other Agencies, is not available to commercial entities not associated with the DOD and so on.

But enough of this, can you quit the threads bashing Skygolf and talk about the original post, the Skycaddie 2.5.

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

Took my SG4 back yesterday. My local Golfsmith didn't have the SG2.5 in stock, but they ordered it online for me. In the mail as we speak. And I got a sizable store credit to play with. :partytime2:

Nice, but you were the guy who started this thread and did not like the SG2.5!?! I thought that's what you meant anyway.

No, that wasn't the point of the post. I just couldn't figure out why they came out with the SG2.5 when it is so similar to the SG4. In reality, functionally it is similar, but there are significant ergonomic differences and most are upgrades in my opinion. Smaller/Lighter form factor, standard mini USB connector for the charger and sync cable (replacing one you have to align and screw into the device), removable button on the back if you use a case, etc, etc. I haven't used it on the course yet, but I like it already.

Just got the 2.5 and love it. It is my first GPS unit. I've played 2 rounds with it and the battery is at a little more then 50% left. The unit was always within 3 yards of the golf cart's GPS for what that's worth, but it seemed about right on to the sprinkler head marks. Course is only several years old now, so I'm thinking they did a decent job. So far, what I've been very grateful for is giving me the real yardages I've been hitting. Not necessarily for driver and long irons, but wedges and half swings really. I've found it is much more difficult to judge (for me at least) 30 yards from 40 yards, or 75 yards from 90 yards. After hitting my wedges with varying the percentage of a full swing, I was pretty quick to dial in how far the balls went on average (example 1/2 swing with PW). When I came to 65 yards, I knew exactly what to do now, and this thing saved me probably 3 or 4 strokes the first time out. I love it.

SkyCaddie shows the battery life on the SG2.5 and SG5 being 14 hours. Could owners of either of these two units share their experience on how long their units lasted without a charge? Thanks!

I'd say they are accurate at min 12 hours, with 14 being very realistic. Had my SG5 for couple months now, only recharged twice. I let it run down pretty far on battery meter before charging, yet still to see Low Battery warning. Remembering where and with whom I played, easily 12 hours, more like 14 to 15. I bought car charger at TGW for $25 just in case, but haven't used it yet. What is worth the investment is the temp cart mount, holds like a vise, it's $$$ but well worth it....learned from the p.o.s. suction mount that killed me SG3...of course gave me excuse to by the SG5. BTW< it's waaaaaay more accurate than SG3 and the green detail is awesome, ie how far to false fronts, etc.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Took my SG4 back yesterday. My local Golfsmith didn't have the SG2.5 in stock, but they ordered it online for me. In the mail as we speak. And I got a sizable store credit to play with. :partytime2:

No, that wasn't the point of the post. I just couldn't figure out why they came out with the SG2.5 when it is so similar to the SG4. In reality, functionally it is similar, but there are significant ergonomic differences and most are upgrades in my opinion. Smaller/Lighter form factor, standard mini USB connector for the charger and sync cable (replacing one you have to align and screw into the device), removable button on the back if you use a case, etc, etc. I haven't used it on the course yet, but I like it already.

The 2.5 and SG5 use completely different hardware/firmware and GPS algorhitms...way more accurate than that pos SG3/4 series. Having owned both, there is no comparison.

X Forged C Grind 52*
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow

The 2.5 and SG5 use completely different hardware/firmware and GPS algorhitms...way more accurate than that pos SG3/4 series. Having owned both, there is no comparison.

Yes, I heard that also which made the switch from the SG4 even more of a no-brainer. I just haven't experienced it on the course yet so I cannot personally confirm that is true. But, I believe you.

Bottom line - SG1, SG2, SG3, and SG4 owners should look to upgrade to the SG2.5 or the SG5 before the word gets out and resale on their units fall. There is still marketplace confusion about the different models so you can take advantage of that in the near term.

Yes, I heard that also which made the switch from the SG4 even more of a no-brainer. I just haven't experienced it on the course yet so I cannot personally confirm that is true. But, I believe you.

Bottom line - SG1, SG2, SG3, and SG4 owners should look to upgrade to the SG2.5 or the SG5 before the word gets out and resale on their units fall. There is still marketplace confusion about the different models so you can take advantage of that in the near term.

Good Call, Big Guy....sell those 3 & 4 units before they get discontinued and resale is basically zilch :-D

X Forged C Grind 52*
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow

• 2 weeks later...
This is true for now, but I wouldn't necessarily count on this for the future. iGolf could change this at any time with a software update.

No, not really... my iGolf will always work with the courses that I have already downloaded and stored on my CPU. Unlike skycaddie, with igolf I store the course fies on my CPU and not in a "skybank". And my decvice itself holds 40.

What if the courses change...new bunkers are added, greens are changed, ect.?

regarding the 2.5, i thought i read in an earlier post that you cant mark your approach shot distances. the post said that you would mark the ball position in the fairway, but then when you try to mark the ball position on the green the screen would automatically go to the green map and you couldnt get out of it to get the ball position. is this correct?

I can edit in points either via the web based editor or by adding custom points (up to 10 per course) and backing that file up locally.

Huh? Not on the SG2.5 you can't.

regarding the 2.5, i thought i read in an earlier post that you cant mark your approach shot distances. the post said that you would mark the ball position in the fairway, but then when you try to mark the ball position on the green the screen would automatically go to the green map and you couldnt get out of it to get the ball position. is this correct?
I'll try it and see. I know that it does switch to a mode when you get the the green (cowards!) and you lose the ability to map a shot. What I don't know is if you leave the unit is shot marking mode will it still show your distance when you get to the green.

I just bought an SG2.5... can I use an iPod wall charger that accepts a USB cable to charge my SG2.5? They should be the same voltage/current, but I'm curious if anyone has asked or has tried. I'm going to email SkyCaddie, but...

Also, you can change the yardage that it switches to green view. I think it's down to 50 yards. I thought you could switch to target view, though. As far as the "on the green" switch... I think that is pretty close too. I'm not sure that really answers the question, though.

Finally, the thing that caused me to go ahead on the SG2.5 was the answer I got from SkyCaddie on a question... They confirmed that th SG2.5 has all the same functions and data as the SG5. The only real difference is the size of the screen and that it's color. The size translates into less data on one screen, but the data is still available.

• 9 months later...
Has anyone tried to map there own course? Is it hard or is it just time consuming? I just bought the SG2.5 and I think I am going to love it and just can't wait to play on Saturday. I am vacationing in Hawaii.............

Very easy to do, I have owned skycaddies for years now, just review the instructions and map away!

Has anyone tried to map there own course? Is it hard or is it just time consuming? I just bought the SG2.5 and I think I am going to love it and just can't wait to play on Saturday. I am vacationing in Hawaii.............

Very easy to do, I have owned skycaddies for years now, just review the instructions and map away!

I know with the older models you could only record the front, center and back of greens, fixed points, not the Intelligreen type mapping. Is that still true? If that has changed I may have to give SkyGolf stuff another look next time I am in the market.

Hi, I am trying to get correct information before I make this gps purchase. It is between the golf guru and the skycaddie 2.5. Can any one confirm this information giving to me today by their customer service department. I asked if I downloaded a 4 star course, went to the golf course and wanted to add any additional targets. Would I beable to edit that downloaded course? I was told in order to add any personal targets I would have to map the entire golf course including the greens. If I was to map my own course would the intelligreen green feature still work? This my be a repeated question but between what I read and what I am told are conflicting. Would appreciate any feedback.

Again, I am not familair with the newer SkyGolf devices (SG2.5 and SG5) but 23muc confirmed that the only points you can map with the Skygolf devices are the front, center and back of greens. You cannot edit a downloaded course; you can not map intermediate targets.

With the golf Guru, you can map an entire course yourself, with up to 30 targets per hole to include the outline of the green for use with their equivalent to the Intelligreen feature; you can edit a downloaded course to add or hide targets or, again to outline the green and replace the existing outline.

• 4 months later...

Well, my expierence is they start sending you on screen alerts about subscription expiring, I think that is pretty much stops working...good news is they remap courses to keep current so worth the 30 bucks.

X Forged C Grind 52*
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow

• 4 weeks later...

Q-ball

I know this was an older post but do you still have your SG4? Did they ever send you one that was accurate? I am going through the same situation. I just received my 4th SG4 in the mail today. I tried to get them to send me a 2.5 instead but they wanted nothing to do with that. I think if this one doesn't work I am just going to send it back, tell them to keep thier piece of garbage and I will take the loss and buy another brand...I am that fed up with it.