Game Golf tracking system (merged)

Just got late last week, but haven't had a chance to play a round with it yet. Looking forward to getting it out on the course. They apparently have resolved their backlog issues, because mine shipped about 2 days after I ordered.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also an early funder of this project and recieved my unit a couple weeks ago. I have 4 rounds entered and a 5th I had to discard as a course I played today was renovated and some holes changed, but the system was still set up on the original specs. Overall I am pleased with the data its given me. I believe as time goes on more stat options will be introduced as well as editing procedures. If you look at my rounds you'll see I live in Salt Lake City but I've played in Arizona also, luckily I cover UT and AZ so I'm there 2 weeks a month. Nice to get out of the cold in SLC.

Hey Yrrdead...I grew up in Tracy. Used to play a course in Modesto called Dryden or something like that.

Here's my link:

[url="http://gamegolf.com/player/ClintonKennedy"]http://gamegolf.com/player/ClintonKennedy[/url]

Right on :) , I actually work in Tracy.

Some more feedback, I had a round "hang" during the build portion of a transfer. Then it just disappeared which was a little disappointing. But like others it showed up on the site after about 2hrs. So if it happens be patient hopefully it will appear.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

[quote name='Frankensteins Monster' timestamp='1392996647' post='8715438']
[quote name='WishICouldPlayMoreOften' timestamp='1392837781' post='8703125']
This has to be several levels more informative and less cumbersome to gain widespread adoption. I'd think the best market play would be to go as advanced and high-end as possible and not try to sell to the masses. Otherwise, it's doomed.

[b]I could really see this being helpful if the tags "lit up" suggesting the best club to use based on real-time + past round history data that included things like weather adjustments. 7i from 190 isn't what most golfers can or should try.... unless there's a 20+ mph helping wind. The tags then could be more "caddie-advice" giving more than just tracking. Again, a case for going high-end.[/b]

Pair this with a GPS-tagged golf ball, then you'd have something unbeatable for truth and accuracy.
[/quote]

Bold = Non-conforming and won't happen.

GPS tagged golf ball impossible with today's technology and make it actually playable.
[/quote]

I don't think the USGA or R&A are going to be nearly as resistant to technology as they have been as more tech-friendly and tech-dependent people gain influence on the game. Golf isn't a game that can survive without growing and maintaining it's player base. Technology will bring more golfers in. So many of the rules are made that just don't make sense for non-pro golfers, and I don't think those rules will continue to hold water.

Want to speed up and get more people interested in the game? Use tech to make that more possible. Not much you can do to get people to play better without more play and more practice other than to get them to take the best shots they can when they play. Tech products can and will do that.

Rules police of 50 years ago would not have stood for "adjustable clubs" but we're up to adjustable putters now.

[quote name='WishICouldPlayMoreOften' timestamp='1393359238' post='8743410']
This has to be several levels more informative and less cumbersome to gain widespread adoption. I'd think the best market play would be to go as advanced and high-end as possible and not try to sell to the masses. Otherwise, it's doomed.

[b]I could really see this being helpful if the tags "lit up" suggesting the best club to use based on real-time + past round history data that included things like weather adjustments. 7i from 190 isn't what most golfers can or should try.... unless there's a 20+ mph helping wind. The tags then could be more "caddie-advice" giving more than just tracking. Again, a case for going high-end.[/b]

Pair this with a GPS-tagged golf ball, then you'd have something unbeatable for truth and accuracy.
[/quote]

GPS tagged golf ball impossible with today's technology and make it actually playable.
[/quote]

I don't think the USGA or R&A are going to be nearly as resistant to technology as they have been as more tech-friendly and tech-dependent people gain influence on the game. Golf isn't a game that can survive without growing and maintaining it's player base. Technology will bring more golfers in. So many of the rules are made that just don't make sense for non-pro golfers, and I don't think those rules will continue to hold water.

Want to speed up and get more people interested in the game? Use tech to make that more possible. Not much you can do to get people to play better without more play and more practice other than to get them to take the best shots they can when they play. Tech products can and will do that.

Rules police of 50 years ago would not have stood for "adjustable clubs" but we're up to adjustable putters now.
[/quote]
I could see the ruling bodies allowing any number of distance measuring devices, and even ones that correct for slope, but I think it's unlikely they'll ever approve anything that gives advice on club selection, since that is really against the spirit of the game. It's not just something that gives you information quickly and with more precision, it's something that essentially makes a decision for the player.

TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

just got mine earlier in the week super fast shipping but it wasn't coming from that far . - minus its going to be too cold and snowny for a while to use... but will point out something's for people on the fence about the product. just from a from and function stand point

1. the device its self is much thinner in person than the impression from pics online I saw. imo

2. tags fits securely on to clubs with flat grip caps

3. rounded grip caps could prove to be the most likely to cause a broken tag.. could be changing putter grip for that reason..

4. when will more sets of tags be available looks like you could get out of plastic case and just epoxy to inside of shaft for a super clean look ...

5. seems like a great product so far easy too use , the software side is still young for pc but willing to live with it, best comparison is early skycaddie stuff some people no problems some people all sorts... but it works and that will just get better with time..

Looks cool.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I used mine for the first time today, and here are a few thoughts:

It's quite easy to incorporate the tagging of shots into your pre-shot routine. I found that it was pretty simple to shoot the yardage or check my SkyCaddie, then select a club, and quickly tag the club as I'm stepping up to the ball.

I double checked a few yardages against the SkyCaddie, and the Game Golf tracker is right on, within a yard or two of what the GPS was telling me.

It did a pretty good job of determining the hole locations on the greens, but I assume that WS mainly due to the fact that I didn't make anything outside of a few feet all day. A made long putt probably will require some adjustment. There was a hole or two where it was a bit off, reading that the pin was at a spot off the green (it tracked my ball as being in the same place). There was also one par 3 where it put me as being a couple yards short of the green, but I had hit my tee shot to the middle of the green. FWIW, both errors were on par 3s.

I missed tagging a shot on one hole, but it was easy to insert the shot in my post-round edits.

It had some trouble on another hole where the tee was pretty close to the green, and the pin was near the side of the green near the tee. It had me hitting my approach, then two putts, then a hybrid, which was actually the next tee shot, then another putt. It didn't really make much sense. It was so confused that it had me playing the 7th hole twice. Again, easy to fix post-round, but it seems like this is something it should be able to figure out logically (how much sense does it make to putt twice, then hit a hybrid on the next shot (especially when it goes a full swing distance)?

Using this thing after about 3 inches of rain over the past few days (SoCal) and on a cool day was probably the best for the ego. I look forward to crushing my driving distance record my next time out!

All in all, it seems like a really cool, unobtrusive tool. There's definitely improvements I think are feasible with the current system. For instance, for penalty strokes and for tagging the hole location, it would be pretty easy to just allow users to assign a couple of the extra caps for those purposes. Just scan those to indicate a penalty stroke or to tag the hole location. The only issue is where to put the extra tags that you'd use for those purposes. Maybe they could offer a small tube thing that would allow people to screw in their tags and carry that in your pocket?

I had my first round with the device on Saturday, here in the Northeast with 38deg and sunny weather.

The first good thing is the starter had me, a single, start on the back nine to avoid a couple of foursomes. The 10th tee was about 100 yards from the first tee so game golf easily recognized I was starting on the back nine - of course I did not know that until I uploaded the round.

Tagging the club before the shot was easy enough - since I had so many clothes on I carried the device in my jacket pocket.

On the front nine (my back nine now) I had to play through three groups, hence I did miss tagging my driver on one hole and a putt on another hole. Easy to fix when editing the round after upload.

All in all this is one easy product to use. In the past I would try to keep statistics by marking up the scorecard, but then I never really did anything with them.

I have purchased one as well for my son and can't wait to follow his rounds.

I did follow a suggestion here and designated one of the extra tags as a penalty, I cut down an old grip to about three inches to carry the tag. I have that attached to my bag. Did not have to use it on Sat.

One thing I noticed when I attached the device to my computer - it said I had room for nine more rounds - that will be great when I am playing 36 holes/day and/or playing multiple days away from home.

Those of you who are using this, if there are things that you'd like to see, post them here, and/or vote for things that you like that have already been posted. This seems to be a company that is very focused on social media/feedback, and this is the way to get desired features added.

http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/forums/236342-feature-requests

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1393362192' post='8743750']
[quote name='WishICouldPlayMoreOften' timestamp='1393359238' post='8743410']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I could see the ruling bodies allowing any number of distance measuring devices, and even ones that correct for slope, but I think it's unlikely they'll ever approve anything that gives advice on club selection, since that is really against the spirit of the game. It's not just something that gives you information quickly and with more precision, it's something that essentially makes a decision for the player.
[/quote]

You're probably right, but I hope the changes do come. I don't think they understand that knowing more won't necessarily change playing differently or better. It won't be an advantage inaccessible to others or bring artificial results into the game.

Change will come though. The young golfers of today who will become the rule makers don't see traditional golf the same way. Again, a lot of this is the same info a caddy can provide so we're not that far from change.

Just an update on the round I had to discard above. I emailed support that night and within 12 hours got a response thanking me for the info and they would correct the specs for the course. 2 days later got an email saying old course setup deleted and the course has been re-spec'd and ready to play. I was shocked at how quickly they were able to make the changes. Great customer response!!!!

[quote name='munihack' timestamp='1394135982' post='8813079']
my course has 4 nines, does anyone know how it would handle that? do i have to turn on and off each 9?
[/quote]
My course has 3 nines and I have to turn the device off and back on prior to starting a new nine. Once it is up and running it takes no time at all for it to find the satellite connection again so really not a huge pain other than having to remember to turn it off before playing my 10th hole.

[quote name='munihack' timestamp='1394199943' post='8818479']
are all your rounds 9 holes then or does it group them up? thanks for the reply
[/quote]
They reflect as 9 hole scores/rounds but it still calculates your scoring average as if it was a full round. Take a look at my page and you can kind of see what I'm talking about:

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/timdarby

So just had a problem today, had to add a putt (super common for me) during editing and it really really didn't like it. I could add it but as soon as I refreshed it would get the order all wonky. It started Driver - 7i - Putter. Then I would add a putter . So Driver- 7i- Putter - Putter. Then it would switch it to . Driver - Putter - Putter - 7i , Showing a 475yd drive. Finally fixed it by deleting the hole and adding another hole from scratch.

To recap if you can't get it to properly recognize the order. Delete the hole then add it back in.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

[quote name='Par Fore' timestamp='1394247727' post='8823523']
Sooo, what if my club "accidentally" ends up in a water hazard, are these tags water proof?
[/quote]

Please share the scenario with us how this could happen.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

Came across a situation with editing my round that I think needs to be fixed in the tracking site. I hit my tee shot on a par 3 into the water and played my next shot from the drop area. Even though I indicated the penalty on the round review, it basically has the tee shot going to the drop area. I don't really care about tracking the distance of the shot, but it seems like it would distort the numbers to have a 90 yard 5 wood on the record. I guess the fact that it uses the median makes this moot over the course of many rounds, but to give users the best experience, it would be good if all the shots are mapped accurately on the course, even when they fly into hazards.

[quote name='martinbns' timestamp='1392334787' post='8662981']
[quote name='AUDuffer' timestamp='1392329483' post='8662303']
[quote name='martinbns' timestamp='1392253922' post='8656139']
[quote name='AUDuffer' timestamp='1392149137' post='8645929']
[quote name='martinbns' timestamp='1392068085' post='8639071']
[quote name='AUDuffer' timestamp='1390786958' post='8539725']
It's not a GPS like a Skycaddie or Gamin. To me it does what a scorecard and stats program do in a small package. I can play and not worry about a scorecard and I can look at my distances. I know what shots were or weren't full so that's no problem. It does track missed fairways and bunkers based on when you activate the tag.

odshot, even in a newer version you're going to have to go back although we provided suggestions on being able to have it interfaced with the app to make changes on time.
[/quote]

I read the article on the front page and asked about the GPS thing.

The whole thing seems goofy to me if it only shows where you were on the course after you get home. I would need two electronic gadgets to do what I can do myself when I feel like it with my skycaddie.
[/quote]

What do you care where you've been on a hole if you're already past that spot? The whole point of it is to review your round after the fact and get your distances. Skycaddie can't show you where on the course you hit a shot; you can tag distances, but I don't carry mine to the tee box or the woods for that matter. With this I can do it right there and it takes no time at all.
[/quote]

Because I need to know how far to hit my next shot, not how far I hit the last one. If I want to measure the distance of my shot, my gps will do that, but this won't tell how far the bunkers are.

This seems pointless to me.
[/quote]

Again (if you read what I wrote) this is not about how far you hit your next shot. It's about tracking your round after it's done. Where's the wall so I can beat my head against it?
[/quote]

My forehead is getting sore, again.

My skycaddie does both when I choose to do it, this toy only does one thing.
[/quote]

I absolutely love my system. Much like you, I thought I was getting a pretty accurate "read" on my shots because i would use my skycaddie to measure my drives. But what I have realized, I only measured the ones "I got ahold off" and in reality, that was basically 1 a round. What this does is actually measures EVERY drive I hit, the ones I top, the ones I hit sideways, the ones I bounce off of trees, and YES, it is very humbling.

This product will not be for everyone, but for some of us, it is absolutely perfect. There is ZERO this system can do that other apps won't do, but the difference, I can do this now without picking up a phone or scrolling around. Now, I simply touch the butt end of my clue to my belt and the rest is done.

[quote name='martinbns' timestamp='1392334787' post='8662981']
My forehead is getting sore, again.

My skycaddie does both when I choose to do it, this toy only does one thing.
[/quote]

The difference is ease of use. At best, the skycaddie will take some fumbling with to choose the club. If you're riding a cart, you now have to remove the skycaddie from whatever holder you have it in, or from the cart when you go to the green. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you can review your shots after the fact on skycaddie, or get detailed stats of each club, no?

This thing, just touch and go with whatever club you have in your hand.

[quote name='Clint Kennedy' timestamp='1393297201' post='8738996']
[url="http://gamegolf.com/player/ClintonKennedy"]http://gamegolf.com/.../ClintonKennedy[/url]
[/quote]

Not sure why I didn't see the detail in the other guy's post, but this is more like it.

What's with some of the outliers, such as a 270 yard 6 iron? Is that a case when you forgot to tag a shot?

The quality of any of these kinds of systems will be software and stats driven. After all, the device is simple. Record where each shot was taken and with what club and where it ended up.

So I'm looking at PGATOUR.com stats and what's available there, and I think the real value would be things like proximity to the hole from 100-125 yards out, etc.

I just got mine yesterday. played only four holes with it to see what it was like. I think this is going to be something that will actually improve my game. I have a 12 year old. I plan on getting one for him as well as this will show his improvement over time as allow us to see where he is making strides (keep him interested in the game) and show us where we need to focus his practice (something to focus on)

I am pretty excited.

As far as the water hazard drop thing. if you designate the extra tags as special penalties you can show the drop from the hazard to the drop zone... this would actually track how much that stroke is costing you. so if you hit one in the water... you can tag from the waters edge back to the drop.. and it will tag that ...

I am going to keep an out of bounds tag and a hazard tag I think.... will be pretty cool...

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='Yrrdead' timestamp='1393091982' post='8722600']
I'm not seeing where to add people? Halp.
[/quote]

go under compare... then you can search people
you should also be able to see who is following you. (i am, so you should see Ruston Gator or Nicholas Goff)

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

This "Error, try again later" message gets old quickly when you are trying to edit your round.

However I will say it is training me never to forget to tag a shot because it is soooo tedious editing it later when many of the edits have this message.

Not all, but enough to be very irritating.

Is it just me, or or other folks sailing through their post round edits?

I'm loving the idea of GameGolf and liking what I see for the most part but the software has this Version 1.0 feeling.

Edit: To be fair when I DID try later, it let me edit fine. Maybe some infrastructure sizing issues?

i havent had any problems editing my two rounds so far...

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis