MaydayGSXR's WITB

MaydayGSXR's WITB

golf-10.gif

I currently don't have the money for tinkering around or club ho'ing in search of the perfect clubs like some you guys, and for that I'm extremely jealous. I was, however, very fortunate in having the opportunity to go on a TMAG trip and receive basically all the clubs mentioned below. I really don't want to come off as a fan boy, but you have to understand, that for the first time, having some of the latest/greatest clubs from any OEM is really a dream come true for me since getting into this great sport; hence, some of my excitement that I can't contain at times when posting.

Prior to these clubs, I had a set of knock off Tommy Armour 845's (DynaCraft TWS 1100's with Harrison boron graphite shafts, haha) that I got from Play-It-Again Sports for ~$45. After learning to love the sport with them, I decided some better clubs might help me out. I figured I needed something with a steel shaft, and something that was more of a GI iron than a MB/CB. I did some research and narrowed my list of clubs down to either some callaway RAZR X's or Burner 2.0's, and patiently waited for the first good deal I could find on the bay. Eventually a decent set of Rbladez popped up with the seller throwing in an R9 SuperTri; the deal was too good to pass up so I pulled the trigger and my first "new" bag was set!

Fast forward a few months and the trip of a lifetime once again upgraded my bag. The Rbladez and R9 are now in my father's possession, as he had also been looking for new clubs for quite some time in order to replace his old Wilson Oversize irons. I will likely be playing this bag for a long time, until I am able to afford some tinkering with shafts and the like, which is one thing that this site has really sparked an interest in (Thanks Kadin! lol). Anywho, I know these clubs will be dated and old news in a year or so, but they will be my clubs for a lot longer than that, and I couldn't be more thankful for the opportunity to bag them!

Driver: TM JetSpeed 10.5°

- Matrix Ozik 6M3 Black Tie X-stiff (put straight in to play more like an S)

Wood: TM JetSpeed 3 Wood 15°

- Matrix Ozik RUL 70

Hybrid: TM JetSpeed 3 Rescue 19°

- Fujikura Fuel 85HB S-flex

Irons: TM SpeedBlades 5-PW

- Dynamic Gold S300's

- 0.5° upright

- Custom logo "JetSpeed WRX Experience 2013" Pure Grips

Wedges: TM SpeedBlade PW 45° - Dynamic Gold S300

TM SpeedBlade AW 50° - Dynamic Gold S300

TM SpeedBlade SW 55° - Dynamic Gold S300

   Mizuno MP-T4 60° - KBS Tour C-Taper

Alien Tutch Chamber 64° - Not in the bag, just an around the yard 'fun' club

Putter: TM Daddy Long Legs

Bag: 2012 Sun Mountain Four 5

Speedblade1_Custom.jpg

Speedblade2_Custom.jpg

Speedblade4_Custom.jpg

Speedblade5_Custom.jpg

Speedblade6_Custom.jpgSpeedblade7_Custom.jpgSpeedblade8_Custom.jpg

DSCN0648_Medium.jpg

DSCN0650_Medium.jpg

DSCN0663_Medium.jpg

DSCN0652_Medium.jpg

DSCN0653_Medium.jpg

DSCN0586_Medium.jpg

Recently kicked out of the bag / The old set up:

Driver: TM R9 SuperTri 9.5°

- R11 Fujikura Blur 60g shaft

- Recently replaced my TM R580 XD.

- I really liked it with a touch of adjustment to close the face a bit and up the loft to 10°

4 Wood: Nike VR-S

- Regular flex Fubuki K FW shaft with Power "Ninja" Core

- Shallower face; I used it more on fairways.

5 Wood: Ram FX Gold

- My old faithful and forgiving when my drivers don't work! I can crank on this thing with any bad swing mechanic that may be occurring any given day and it will go straight for me.

- Deeper face; I used it more from the rough.

3 Hybrid: TM Rocketballz Stage2 Tour Rescue 18.5°

- OEM stiff flex 80g graphite shaft

- Adjustable +/- 1.5°, had it set +1.5° to 20° to help me get it up in the air.

Irons: TM Rocketbladez 4-PW

- Regular flex

- 1° upright

Wedges: Callaway Forged 52° and 56°

- DG S300's

Putter: Odyssey BackStryke 2 Ball

- Which replaced my old Golden Bear Master Tour Series, which was a nice putter also.

DSCN0647_Medium.jpg

DSCN0657_Medium.jpg

DSCN0660_Medium.jpg

Thanks for looking! Feel free to comment, critique, criticize or suggest!

DSCN0643_Medium.jpg

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel free to critique my bag, that's what I'm here for!
-What I may be missing?
-What I'm doing wrong?
-Maybe even what I might be doing right? lol

Anywho, any advice or concerns are definitely welcome. Thanks in advance!

Also, check out [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/962126-all-this-talk-about-driving-irons-my-14th-club-big-pictures/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/962126-all-this-talk-about-driving-irons-my-14th-club-big-pictures/[/url] as I dive into the world of club tweaking, starting with an old 1 iron driving blade (lol).. it's baby steps, but I hope to learn some things messing around with these old clubs.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 months later...

Solid set of clubs. How are you liking that SuperTri?

What are your yardage gaps btw. your 5 wood and your hybrid, and between your pw and 55*?

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

[quote name='mizunopure' timestamp='1380008484' post='7902091']
Solid set of clubs. How are you liking that SuperTri?

What are your yardage gaps btw. your 5 wood and your hybrid, and between your pw and 55*?
[/quote]

Thanks, and sorry for the late replies first off, the SuperTri is working excellent for me (coming from a 580XD, and a time where my noob slice was at full play). The adjustability, as well as improvement in my game, has made a big difference. For the most part, I'm hitting them straight about 230 average I'd say, bit more when I'm feeling confident to swing a bit harder.

Yardage gaps between my 5 wood and 3 hybrid (which I actually have adjusted up 1.5° to 20° so it's basically a 4 hybrid because I was having trouble getting the ball in the air with it)... well, I'm still trying to figure that out as well. Right now, I'm still constantly debating which club to pull on any given day. Sometimes it depends on which club seems to be "working" for me that day, but really it has to do with how I'm playing or swinging. The 5 wood is an old bird, and doesn't boast much technology, but it is extremely forgiving for me. It goes straight and it gets the ball up in the air for the most part. The 3 hybrid I would have to say is longer, but I seem to spray it or top it more often. I would estimate maybe 20 yards difference between the two, however, if I get solid contact with both clubs.

When it comes to wedges, the gaps are even more gray. For awhile, I used my PW for shots at ~100 yards, non-full swings for 75-100 yards, and my 56° for anything under 75 yards. So my 56° was my 75 yard club all the way to my club of choice around the fringe, sand, etc.. In one way, it worked out for me as a novice to only have one true wedge as I had to learn to use it in many different situations (picked this up from frisbee golf where its much better to learn one disc than to try to use multiple different discs right off the bat). I got to be pretty consistent with the wedge. Since then, I have picked up a matching Callaway Forged 52° to fill the gap in yardage (which does seem to take about 10-15 yards off my PW distance, all depending on my ball striking that day as I am still highly variable with distances), and also a Mizuno MP-T4 60° as a LW, and an Alien Tutch Chamber 64° for fun around the house/practice. I will just say that adding in these different types of wedges seems to have taken my wedge game back a few steps. I have a hard time trying to figure out what I need to do with each club now. Back to the practice green!

tl;dr I'm not really good enough yet to have true gaps yet, I am playing clubs based more on how well I am hitting that day and which clubs I have confidence in at the time, but I've added a few wedges to try and get things settled down a bit! Thanks for taking an interest!

[quote name='ctmason_98' timestamp='1380142961' post='7910313']
I know this has been discussed a few other places but not in great detail. Can you share what you like about the Backstryke versus say, a "traditional" blade putter if you have used one previously?
[/quote]

My first putter was a blade style that my dad used in college and passed down to me (a Golden Bear Master Tour Series). I was comfortable with it since I had gotten used to it, but since my bag was going through a big transformation I decided to look around at putters in my price range as well. I had read up on the [i]straight back and forward[/i] vs [i]arc style swinging[/i], which I'm sure you are familiar with maybe since you are asking. I always tried to utilize the straight back and through style of putt, rather than making my putting stroke on an arc or curve, so I bought into the idea of a mallet putter rather than a blade (which have their strengths respective to those putting strokes, apparently). Found a good deal on the backstryke in the local proshop, and without me saying anything to bait the pro, he confirmed what I have read about the mallet being more appropriate for that style of putting (he watched me putt for awhile, explained how the backstryke is face balanced and weight balanced for more of a straight back and through stroke rather than most blades being weighted for an arc type swing). Anyways, enough beating a dead horse about the swing styles, as I'm a novice and do not want to be spreading what could be wrong information. All in all, the putter FELT good to me, I actually enjoyed the 'pinging' sound the face made (found on the 2-ball backstryke, and not the other two backstryke styles), and I was hitting it very straight (so maybe it did match my putting stroke). On the course, it took me awhile to get used to the speed off the face (this has to do with the type of insert and coming from a metal faced putter, so that will all be up in the air depending on what putter you are coming from and going to.. an adjustment you will surely have to work with when changing putters any time I'm assuming). Having been a few months with it, I am getting very comfortable and confident with it. I get plenty of "let me see that thing's" and "that is a wicked looking putter," but it has taken a liking by my eye quite nicely (I originally missed the look of my blade).

tl;dr It works for my putting stroke style, look at how you swing your putt and it may help you decide, the 2-ball alignment is new to me, but I'm getting used to the putter and am getting very confident with it. The putter gets quite a bit of attention from playing partners, nothing negative, it just stands out, but I have grown quite fond of the look since it has started working well for me. Oh, I pulled a first for me during my last round, 2 birdies in a single round haha, both because I was able to sink 20-25 foot putts.

Sorry for the long reads, but thanks for taking an interest! I need to update this page with my new wedges, which I will do later today, but feel free to ask more questions!

• 2 months later...

That is a good set up. I recently went to a 52/58 wedge stem (+Pw) and it was one of the best things I have ever done for my game. I changed the way I played and I now seek to put myself in position where I can use this clubs... plus I like them around the green a whole lot. Where I have issues is in my 3 iron 5 wood. I swear I hit the two the same distance (About 230) and while I still have the talent to hit a 3 iron decently, I feel that I need to fix the gap. I am getting a gap analysis done to be sure that I am not making things up. I have never liked hybrids, if I do not have an iron into a par 5 I rather look for 105 to 80 yards because that is where my wedges put me without hitting them hard.

SLDR 9.5 with TP Fuel 60S
3W RBZ Stage 2 TP// 5W MacTech (18.5)
3-6 Scratch AR-1V2
7-P Scratch SB-1
Scotty Cameron Golo 5
Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 58 (TS)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm there with you on the 5 wood/3 hybrid distance dilemma, I never know which one to hit, so I make myself feel better by making the call based on the lie, heh. I also like to hit the ~80-100 yard approach, but if the green is wide open and unprotected, I enjoy trying to launch a metal wood in there though.

As far as the wedges go, I could definitely lose one (I RARELY hit a 52, and I play a 60 only on a good swing day and when the lie is working in my favor). I hit my 56 all day, I love it. So I'm not sure how I would do going to a 52/58, I'm sure the 58 would be almost non-noticeable for me compared to my 56. May have to pick a cheap one up and try it out. Thanks for the comments!

I always say whatever works for you and what you have confidence in to "get the job done" The old school FX 5 wood is a throw back to stuff that I do. I have an old Cally Steel head 1st generation 3 wood 13* that I have carried for 10 years because I simply cannot find a new one at any brand or shaft configuration that I can hit better. My other "go to " club is my old Taylor V steel 7 wood it has been hanging around for 6 years or so cant find any other that hits like it for me. I can hit those 2 clubs no matter what kind of day I am having. You do have a nice set up

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

[quote name='gatorb8' timestamp='1387558543' post='8328177']
Gray grips look nice
[/quote]

Thanks, I thought they would turn out looking pretty sweet. Of course, when one of the TM guys tells you they think it would look awesome too, kind of hard to argue!

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1387632876' post='8331393']
I always say whatever works for you and what you have confidence in to "get the job done" The old school FX 5 wood is a throw back to stuff that I do. I have an old Cally Steel head 1st generation 3 wood 13* that I have carried for 10 years because I simply cannot find a new one at any brand or shaft configuration that I can hit better. My other "go to " club is my old Taylor V steel 7 wood it has been hanging around for 6 years or so cant find any other that hits like it for me. I can hit those 2 clubs no matter what kind of day I am having. You do have a nice set up
[/quote]

Ah man, now you're making me want to put my old FX 5W back in the bag.. Because I could whip that thing out anywhere and have all the confidence in the world with it (170 yard punch shots to long shots from the rough, etc). These new clubs are amazing, but I am having to adjust/work a lot harder to get them to do what I want (but when they do, distance crushes the old 5W). Hmmmm, may have to keep the 5W in the bag, and keep working on the others at the range!

[quote name='Qqq123xx' timestamp='1387657315' post='8332487']
Nice sofa, clubs look really comfortable. How do you like the Mizuno 60 wedge?
[/quote]

lol... I knew I wouldn't get off without a couch comment, touche. The MP-T4 is sweet man; when I hit it right, and depending on the ball, it feels really really good. That being said, 5 degrees of bounce is probably a bit harsh for me as a higher handicap, and with some of the lies around here. I love flopping shots up on the green IF I have a nice lie with a bit of a cushion for me to get under, I haven't really been real comfortable taking full swings off of tight lies with it yet. On the flip side, sometimes if the lie is too "comfy," I end up getting under the ball too much and it goes no where, haha. That's just me needing to practice with a lob wedge. The club feels amazing though.

The Callaway Forged's are starting to get a bit worn, been wondering if I should replace some wedges down the road, and I'm not sure which direction I want to head with them (brand or lofts to cut down on # of wedges, like a 52 and 58 or something), but the MP-T4's are definitely on my short list.

[quote name='MaydayGSXR' timestamp='1387736842' post='8335709']
[quote name='gatorb8' timestamp='1387558543' post='8328177']
Gray grips look nice
[/quote]

Thanks, I thought they would turn out looking pretty sweet. Of course, when one of the TM guys tells you they think it would look awesome too, kind of hard to argue!

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1387632876' post='8331393']
[/quote]

Ah man, now you're making me want to put my old FX 5W back in the bag.. Because I could whip that thing out anywhere and have all the confidence in the world with it (170 yard punch shots to long shots from the rough, etc). These new clubs are amazing, but I am having to adjust/work a lot harder to get them to do what I want (but when they do, distance crushes the old 5W). Hmmmm, may have to keep the 5W in the bag, and keep working on the others at the range!

[quote name='Qqq123xx' timestamp='1387657315' post='8332487']
Nice sofa, clubs look really comfortable. How do you like the Mizuno 60 wedge?
[/quote]

lol... I knew I wouldn't get off without a couch comment, touche. The MP-T4 is sweet man; when I hit it right, and depending on the ball, it feels really really good. That being said, 5 degrees of bounce is probably a bit harsh for me as a higher handicap, and with some of the lies around here. I love flopping shots up on the green IF I have a nice lie with a bit of a cushion for me to get under, I haven't really been real comfortable taking full swings off of tight lies with it yet. On the flip side, sometimes if the lie is too "comfy," I end up getting under the ball too much and it goes no where, haha. That's just me needing to practice with a lob wedge. The club feels amazing though.

The Callaway Forged's are starting to get a bit worn, been wondering if I should replace some wedges down the road, and I'm not sure which direction I want to head with them (brand or lofts to cut down on # of wedges, like a 52 and 58 or something), but the MP-T4's are definitely on my short list.
[/quote]Appreciate all the info, thanks. And, lol, couldn't resist the sofa. Honestly it does look very comfortable. Have a good Xmas.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='MaydayGSXR' timestamp='1390110821' post='8487663']
If you're ever in the area and want to play some golf, maybe you can use that couch, haha. Thanks!
[/quote]Lol will definitely keep that in play. Thanks for the offer. Nap time yet??

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

[quote name='Qqq123xx' timestamp='1390346956' post='8504439']
[quote name='MaydayGSXR' timestamp='1390110821' post='8487663']
If you're ever in the area and want to play some golf, maybe you can use that couch, haha. Thanks!
[/quote]Lol will definitely keep that in play. Thanks for the offer. Nap time yet??
[/quote]

Haha, just got a round in yesterday (in the 60s°) but it's supposed to be fah-ree-ZING for the next few weeks, better wait til spring before we plan any tee times, lol.

Nice little set up :)

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[quote name='Kadin 25' timestamp='1390352820' post='8505145']
Nice little set up :)
[/quote]

Yeah, the fellas down south did a pretty good job, huh? This new gear works GREAT, so I'd say they know what they're doing!

[quote name='Qqq123xx' timestamp='1390366841' post='8506851']
Yeah skate golf not much fun.
[/quote]

haha, probably not

A man from "The Burg!" I am from Goode and went to Jefferson Forest. London Downs is one of my favorite tracks. Unfortunately, don't play it much since my folks move to Smith Mtn. Lake. Been playing Mariner's Landing when I go up for visits.

Bag looks good!

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Diamana D+ 63g Stiff
Callaway XR 5 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Callaway XR 7 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist 915 H 24*, Diamana D+ 82 HY Stiff
Ping i500, DG S300 105
Ping Glide 2.0 54 & 58, Ping AMT Stiff
Scotty Cameron CA Monterey, 35"

• 1 month later...

[quote name='clinville' timestamp='1390395077' post='8507653']
Great looking set...enjoy
[/quote]

Thank you, I've really enjoyed it so far, it's given be some good rounds! haha

[quote name='Blakester' timestamp='1390395750' post='8507703']
A man from "The Burg!" I am from Goode and went to Jefferson Forest. London Downs is one of my favorite tracks. Unfortunately, don't play it much since my folks move to Smith Mtn. Lake. Been playing Mariner's Landing when I go up for visits.

Bag looks good!
[/quote]

Ah yes, haha, London Downs is a very nice course.. probably one of the busiest courses in town also which is why I don't play it as much. Really starting to enjoy Ivy Hill more, as well.
Haven't played Mariner's Landing, I may have to check that out, is it worth the drive from Lynchburg? Maybe will have to plan a golf/boating day, haha.