2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Is joining a country club worth it?

With due respect to the myriad reasons people join country clubs, for me it's an extremely simple proposition.

Belonging to my club costs me more than it would cost to play public daily-fee courses or be a member elsewhere. But being a member means playing 100+ times a year on my favorite course within a 50-mile radius of my home and office. So I don't need any other justification, at least as long as I can afford the dues. Which is good because I'm not really a social member and don't need any business contact networking.

P.S. In honesty there is one course about 40 miles away which I like almost as well as my club's course but I still like our course better plus the distance is much more manageable.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a member at a club, I'm 24. It's nice because of the access it gives to the golf aspect of it (27 holes with another 9 going in), practice facilities, and in so much as how it affects your game, well, pros are members at clubs that they play over and over and over again and it doesn't seem to be a detriment. Plus it has a whole social aspect to it that is really great and it offers a lot of entertainment outside of golf as well. And, I still manage to go and play other courses in the area when I want, in fact membership at my club offers monthly reciprocity at other private clubs as well as discounted rates at some of the higher end public courses in the area. I think it's definitely worth it but guess it depends on a case to case basis what you want and what you expect.

Adams Speedline 9064 LS 9.5 Diamana D+ 62s
Adams Speedline 9032ti HyFW 14.5* Aldila VooDoo SNV7s
Adams Speedline Fast 10 18* Wasabi 70s
Mizuno MP-20 3-PW DG S300
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 56*M
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 60*M
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
Titleist Pro V1

I am sure I am simply echoing a few other people's comments on here but I just don't have the time to read all of them... I'd rather spend time reading the BST!
Joining a club offers a few other things than being a mutt simply cannot do. Most notably are the tournaments... ie club championships, member guest, member member, couple leagues, etc. Plus for those who give the argument of wanting to play other courses, IMHO, that is a moot point seeing that most clubs have reciprocals which are of the same caliber as your home course.

that being said, "worth it' is VERY subjective. Use the old Ben Franklin close..... draw a line down the center of a piece of paper.... to the left write "Pro's" to the right write "Con's" then start writing. If the pro's outweigh the cons then it's worth it'... if not then keep playing your public courses.

I love my friends dearly but I only have 2-3 guys I play with all the time.... for me it's time to branch out and join a club.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm basically in the same boat, JR member at a club for similar fees - and my short answer is, yes.

I think the two most important questions you can ask yourself are:

1. Do you like the course?
2. Do you like the membership?

Unless we're talking about some sick, exclusive course, the members are what make the club in my opinion. My club has such an awesome, down to earth group of guys that you can enjoy on and off the course, not to mention many of which are single digit handicappers which is a plus. A great group of guys makes the weekend money matches, tournaments, or even hanging out at the bar / pool that much funner. I never experienced that kind of comradery at a public course to be honest. It makes those big tournaments such fun events (member-member, member-guest, club championship, etc...)

Besides the comradery, there is the fact that you're playing a well manicured course that gets treated well by the players on it. You get early tee times, without having to rack for a time, you play 3-4 hour rounds, rather than 5+ hour rounds. People don't pick your ball up from the other fairway (yes we all hit them there), people on other holes are aware of their surroundings and respect other players - just the whole package. Also, if you want to just cruise over to the course and play a couple holes before it gets dark, or to practice - you can. If the weather is crappy or you're not feeling well, you don't feel like you need to keep playing "to get your moneys worth" for the greens fees.

It's just an all around better experience. And you can still play other courses. Not to mention it's great for networking, meeting older more successful people who could get you jobs, etc... I could go on, it's an awesome experience if you find the right place.

My 2 cents

I think it depends on what the player is looking for. I belonged to the oldest club in town for quite a while but left for a couple of reasons. One, it's a riding country club. Nobody walked. Two, there just weren't a lot of competitive players. The topic in the 19th hole was always "We got in 18 holes in two and a half hours" as opposed to scores or quality of play. Still have lots of friends there but the local public course here is $350 a year, 6,900 yards, and has some great competition.

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha ll 3W & 5W
Callaway Steelhead lll 9 wood 
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4/E
Cleveland 588 TA 51* & 56* 
Ray Cook Blue Goose 

I would like to see a place that allows you to pay a monthly price - not a country club price - for access to a premium range, putting and short game areas. I don't want to be locked in at one course, but you can get good places to practice unless you are a member. Fact is, I am very busy and normally only have time to practice (1-2 hours), and when I do I want to be at a really good place to get the most out of my time. I would pay up to $150 a month just to be a member practice facility that had country club quality practice facilities.

[quote name='FarFigNewtonApples' timestamp='1393900442' post='8792013']
I would like to see a place that allows you to pay a monthly price - not a country club price - for access to a premium range, putting and short game areas. I don't want to be locked in at one course, but you can get good places to practice unless you are a member. Fact is, I am very busy and normally only have time to practice (1-2 hours), and when I do I want to be at a really good place to get the most out of my time. I would pay up to $150 a month just to be a member practice facility that had country club quality practice facilities.
[/quote]

I've seen places (but these are entirely indoors) that offer range facilities, putting greens, lessons, etc. They provide video tape and ability to use the launch monitors and similar hi-tech gadgets. They provided exercise facilities too. I believe they charge hourly rates and also offer memberships. I know that its indoors and you're not hitting off grass, but to me the value is that you can practice in the winter and go there in the evenings or early mornings. I've never tried them but have friends that have and said it kept them "golf-ready" for when the good weather arrived.

[quote name='invulse' timestamp='1313608729' post='3496509']
So recently I have been considering joining one of the many country clubs in my area after playing a round with a few members at a local club. I had always assumed that country clubs cost somewhere in the realms of $20k+ just to get initiated and $600 a month after, but was surprised to hear that the members at the local club said they offer Jr. memberships with initiation costs as low as $1k and monthly dues under $300. Simply doing the math on how much I spend on golf a month, I usually average around $320, and more if I decide to play some of the really nice courses in the area. After a little bit of research and contact with one of the nice local clubs I found a very nice club with a maximum of 380 members with $1200 initiation fee and $280 a month for Jr members. At the age of 24 I quality for the Jr membership for another 11 years and it is within my price range.

This all sounds great to me, but I would like to know form other possible Jr members or equity members of country clubs, is it worth it to play at the same course (albeit a nice, non crowded course) over and over again? Is it worth it if you can only play full rounds during the weekl, or are weekend warriors such as myself going to find these kind of clubs to be a good value and worth the investment? My knowledge of country club life is non-existent as I have never known anyone who was a member of one, so any insight would be helpful.
[/quote]

I was in the same boat last year and joined a club. I have no regrets at all. The regular games, club tournaments, and enjoyment you get from knowing the course nuances make it worth it.

The only question I would ask yourself. Do you have golf ADD and would you be bored on the same track? Do you have a regular group of playing partners you'd be leaving behind that could lessen your enjoyment of the game?

PS - Where are you located?

Epic Max LS - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10

Epic Max 7W  - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10
4- P  T100S LA Golf A Series - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall
Raw Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58M S400 - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall

Vokey 64 Jimmy Walker S400 - BB and F Ferrule

Cameron Futura X11.5 - BGT Shaft - Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

• 1 year later...

I was a member of a private club in the late 90's when I was in my early 20's and left due to the expenses skyrocketing when the members bought the club. I joined another local club as a social member in 2010 since it was a good deal, But it included no golf, I got in for no initiation and can move up. I am visiting DuPont Country Club next week, they were a top club in the 80's about 9200 members but now around 2100. Their top level is not bad but its not in the budget. They do run membership drives and should have one in the fall. Im looking at the social membership, golf 5 times pay green and cart fees, they have an executive course and two par 71 courses. As a social its $90 a month dues $350 annual spending and its not just on food but range tokens, pro shop, caet fees, etc, you can play5 times. $250 initation. May be good to get in now and see hipw it goes. I did enjoy my old club, im hoping Dupont has recipricating with other courses, that would make it really worthwhile.

The membership drive was 30% off initiation, reduced dues for 6 months, $95 gift card and initiation can be paid per month for around 9 months.

https://www.dupontcountryclub.com/files/2015%20DCC%20Membership%20Application.pdf

It is worth it as long as you are going to play a lot of golf there and if you will use their practice facility a ton as well. For myself the amount of time i play 18 holes, which is at least 4 times a week and the amount of times that I hit the range, the other 2 or 3 days a week that I don't play 18 and sometimes I hit the range in the evening when I golfed in the morning and then throw in a bunch of chipping and putting practice. So for myself the money saved on lots of round of golf and instead of paying to practice at a range it is worth it. You just have to make sure that you are getting your moneys worth. Added bonus is not playing behind as many super slow paced hacks.

I think I will be taking the plunge again at the social level, I can play 5 times a year during the season and as mich as I want in the off season, as time goes on I will move up to the gold level as it is a good deal. DuPont Country Club is a really nice place. They have a nice rebuilt driving range and two practice area one is about 50 yards and the other is around 100 and that is free so I can see myself praticing a lot. They also have indoor driving range that is no cost for those cold winter months.

Let's try this again. Try to be aware of politics! Make sure you inquire about members hand book for the current year explaining the rights of the membership & memberships categories. Definitely ask when the tee box is unavailable to you! There is a situation @ the private course I joined this year that I was unaware. The course opens @ 7am course opens( ,Ladies day) ladies tee off after 8am is not open until 11am! It doesn't matter how many woman are on the course, you are unable to have the tee box until after 11am---@ 10:15 am last week 9 women were on the course playing! I ' ve had memberships prior to my current membership both private & public. I'm not from this neck of the woods! ! M in uncharted territory ! I don't know anyone here! I doubt I'll be back! I recently was informed not to inquire about Ladies Day! The club is low end private. The men's locker room has a card room, where fights breakout over cards! The members take golf cart keys home, only to make duplicate keys for themselves & friends! There is not secure system for the carts! I have never seen anything like this private club! This club just getting by financially ! There's no initiation!
I'm just trying to warn you of my mistakes! Good luck everyone !

I finally joined a private club here in Louisville about a month and a half ago and couldn't be happier. I do believe that playing different courses is a great way to not fall in a lull but by no means does joining a club prevent you from playing other places. It's actually been the opposite for me, my club allows me reciprocal access to nearly all the private clubs in Louisville. More so, my club is a great track that extends out to 7200 from the tips so I can hit the full gamete of shots which I wanted.

It certainly wasn't a "cost saving" move though - once you tack in food and beverage minimums, carts (my wife and I only ride on Sunday mornings, walk the rest) and all the misc fees that you'll incur during the year, it will add up. However, being able to walk into a place and hit balls and play whenever I want, be greeted by name, and feel like a place is "home" is well worth it in my mind.

Taylormade M3, 10.5*, Diamana B 60x
Taylormade SIM; 15*; Fujikura Atmos 7s
Callaway Rogue 19*; Fujikura Atmos 7s
Srixon Z Forged 4-pw; Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Callaway Mack Daddy 5; 50*, 55*, 60*; DG Tour Issue Onyx S400
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport - 34"

[quote name='HafeYo' timestamp='1438570447' post='12067468']
I've found the access to networking to be worth it on top of the golf aspects. Some buddies show up and play but mostly keep to themselves and some of us join in on the social aspect. It always pays to have good friends and meet new people.
[/quote]

Depending upon what you mean by "networking," I've found being around guys who clearly have business development in mind at the course to be guys I don't want to be around.

My golf experience is just that; I've made good friends at my club, but don't plan to do any business with any of them (in either direction).

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking about joining a club. I'm getting tired of driving a long way for a 5 hour round. It would be nice to be able to just walk on whenever I want. The range is also included and it's only a 20 minute drive away. The course is well groomed and really challenging and interesting.

The one thing stopping me is that I golf every 2 weeks with a group of 25 guys that I know. I've been doing this for 5 years now, and I don't know anyone at the club. I used to like playing by myself, but the past few years I've started to prefer playing with a group. So I'm not sure how I feel about that part.

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

[quote name='stlglfr' timestamp='1439482635' post='12130430']I finally joined a private club here in Louisville about a month and a half ago and couldn't be happier. I do believe that playing different courses is a great way to not fall in a lull but by no means does joining a club prevent you from playing other places. It's actually been the opposite for me, my club allows me reciprocal access to nearly all the private clubs in Louisville. More so, my club is a great track that extends out to 7200 from the tips so I can hit the full gamete of shots which I wanted.

It certainly wasn't a "cost saving" move though - once you tack in food and beverage minimums, carts (my wife and I only ride on Sunday mornings, walk the rest) and all the misc fees that you'll incur during the year, it will add up. However, being able to walk into a place and hit balls and play whenever I want, be greeted by name, and feel like a place is "home" is well worth it in my mind.[/quote].

Where did you join? Just curious, could be relevant to me.

I am a member at a super affordable semi private in the Louisville area. The club has money issues regularly but is not really in danger of closing, it's just tough to hear about the issues regularly. Course is in excellent shape so it's not like it suffers, but I lean toward the potential enjoyment I could find at a private as well.

The club I'm at had a regular game that I joined in order to meet people. I do worry about that being able to occur at a new private course where I joined by myself. What I'm considering would be a convenience thing, as the club I would most consider would be about 15 min from home and 15 min from work where my current club is 15 min from home and my home is 30 min from work. It is past my house coming from work so I look at 45 min from work. Any thoughts? It would be a step up in cash as well.

[quote name='WpgMike' timestamp='1441519600' post='12270856']
I'm thinking about joining a club. I'm getting tired of driving a long way for a 5 hour round. It would be nice to be able to just walk on whenever I want. The range is also included and it's only a 20 minute drive away. The course is well groomed and really challenging and interesting.

The one thing stopping me is that I golf every 2 weeks with a group of 25 guys that I know. I've been doing this for 5 years now, and I don't know anyone at the club. I used to like playing by myself, but the past few years I've started to prefer playing with a group. So I'm not sure how I feel about that part.
[/quote]

Well, assuming the club has others your similar age, you should have no issue meeting plenty of people to play with at a club. Just sign up for all the events and tourneys, and soon enough you'll have a ton of guys you know. The social aspect of a private club is by far the most important element