GPS Golf Guru - Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So SteveStrike...did you ever return your Guru? How did that go for you? Haven't seen you post anything lately on the Neo or SG 2.5. Have you picked a favorite yet? Did iGolf fix the file corruption issues permanently? I'm kind of a gadget guy too...I have two skycaddies, but I live on a golf course and I'm always loaning them out. I don't loan out the Guru though.

I just wanted to add that I got an email response as to how you go about user mapping a green. I was told that you start at the low point on the green based on the approach from the center of the fairway, from there you walk around the green at a normal pace (what is normal?) and the device records points about every second. So user mapped greens, as well as the greens on their pre-mapped down-loadable courses, all show the actual shape of the green on the screen as you are approaching. Sounds similar to SkyCaddie, except that you can not user map a green with SkyCaddie, you can only mark F/C/B.

That is very interesting. Also as you approach the green their interface shows the fron and back of the green with marks on the screen (but it does not rotate the green ala SkyCaddie), and you can also move the pin on the screen for more accurate distances. I guess with that feature you can choose a target distance to hit and it will show up as the ditance to the center. Again, similar to SkyCaddie.

The slower you walk around the green, the more data points it records, the smoother the shape it draws. In reality it doesn't matter all that much, it's just aesthetic. With the "Smart Green" feature the green doesn't rotate, but if you're approaching the green from say, 45* to the side (as I often do), then the front and back markers automatically move around the green's perimeter to align with your position and the green center, or wherever you position the flag 'dot' to. The front and back distances are measured to those marks, so it allows you to determine the carry distance to any part of the green from any angle, by moving the flag marker around the green with the joystick.

So SteveStrike...did you ever return your Guru? How did that go for you? Haven't seen you post anything lately on the Neo or SG 2.5. Have you picked a favorite yet? Did iGolf fix the file corruption issues permanently?

I stopped posting here because I don't want to bash the Guru. I had a good conversation with their CS people, and I think they are going to be doing some really neat things. It's just not the product for me in it's current incarnation. (they are reportedly working on a screen-on-top software update which would go a long way for me) The green zense is a nice touch, but you can't do this on downloaded courses! So you either map the whole course yourself, or you live without it.

I kept the Neo because iGolf was able to fix the corruption issue. I've used it several times now, and it's OK. For the price, you can't beat it, but it does lack some features like auto hole advance, large display, and an intelligreen-like feature. What it lacks in features, it makes up for in size. It's just small.

My buddy kept the SG2.5. Honestly, it's the clear winner when you look at features, ease of use, and functionality. They've been in the game the longest, and they've got a working formula. If you can look past the yearly SkyCaddie tax, you won't regret anything about the SG2.5 or SG5

So my summary would be as follows:

Money is no object: SG2.5 or SG5. These are simply the best, feature-rich units with the best mapped courses hands down. intelligreen is super cool too.

Feature rich, but light on the wallet: GPS Guru. Costs less than the SkyCaddie and comes with a free subscription. If you can look past some real shortcomings (no pre-mapped greens, no backlight, sparse course target and no editing downloaded courses) you could be very happy with this unit.

Best value: iGolf Neo. For $150 + subscription, this guy is hard to beat if all you want to know is "How far is it to the green?" The small size makes it easy to carry, and you can add/edit custom points on the map. You give up the features that bigger units have like intelligreen.

Honorable mention:

SureShot: Nice screen, and well-mapped courses, but the lack of intelligreen feature make this one a bust at it's high price point

GolfLogix: Solid unit, with a durable case, but the lack of a shot-distance feature is an absolute deal killer.

Sonocaddie: Nice small unit with no subscription fees. No backlight, and only six targets per hole turned me off of this one.

In testing all of these units, I've learned a few things about what I really want out of a GPS device, and not just want I want the sales ad to say about it. I want a unit that has my courses already available for download, with targets. I don't want to map my own courses, add my own custom points, or fidget with my GPS at all during my round.

I want a unit that turns on, shows me the yardages I need, and doesn't require my attention beyond that.

many thanks Stevestrike for the great write ups. You definitely provided many people with way more info than is available anywhere else, certainly helps everyone make an informed decision. It seems that just like everything else, each unit comes with it's own set of compromises, but at least we now have a degree of insight into where they lie.

As an early (1st gen) adopter of the SkyCaddie I suffered through poor technology and at times a certain amount of (friendly) ridicule. it's great that the units have come so far in 5 years and that we now have competition to spur the industry's development cycle.

steve

The green zense is a nice touch, but you can't do this on downloaded courses! So you either map the whole course yourself, or you live without it.

Feature rich, but light on the wallet: GPS Guru. Costs less than the SkyCaddie and comes with a free subscription. If you can look past some real shortcomings (no pre-mapped greens, no backlight, sparse course target and no editing downloaded courses) you could be very happy with this unit.

I just want to correct his information that I highlighted in bold. Every course that I have downloaded has a pre-mapped green, and the green zense was active on the courses I have played using this so far. Not sure where you came up with that information you mentioned above, but that is not just not true. Steve, did someone tell you this? When I have approached a green from an angle (or from center of the fairway) the screen showed my approach angle, and if I moved the pin the approach angle (and yardages) changed to indicate the new line of attack. And yes, the actual shape of the green is displayed for every hole. The difference with this device is that you CAN map a green by walking around it and it will record the actual shape of the green with GPS coordinates, no other Golf GPS device does this to my knowledge, including the SkyCaddie.

I think a backlight would definitely be useful for some people, but I had no problem seeing any information myself last round I played. My group was the last to finish a round, so it did get a little dark. This device is definitely easier to read outdoors than indoors, even in overcast situations.

One thing that they are supposed to be adding this month is the ability to edit downloaded courses. This is the one feature that I really want. I agree totally that the downloaded courses have a lack of targets mapped, I have communicated that with CS. When this is added to the software then I will be happy with the product. That will leave only a backlight missing, because I agree that even though I haven't had any issues reading it, that would still be a nice feature to have.

I really like what the SG2.5 has to offer based on your review in another topic. My problem with that is it is a bit more expensive, you can't map a green like Golf Guru (only Front/Center/Back), the subscription is a lot more expensive (I Golf in more than 2 states a year, that's $50/year with SkyCaddie). As I stated before, once the Golf Guru can edit downloaded courses it will have everything that I would like, the SkyCaddie does have that advantage right now.

Question: On the SkyCaddie, to see the Intelligreen feature, do you have to press a button? I expect you do since you can switch between a target view and green view. Is this correct? With the Golf Guru you can set it to auto advance mode so technically you don't have to touch it during play, but you won't be able to use the green zense. I do press a button to change the view to green zense with yardage based on line of attack to the green.

The green zense is a nice touch, but you can't do this on downloaded courses! So you either map the whole course yourself, or you live without it.

I just want to correct his information that I highlighted in bold. Every course that I have downloaded has a pre-mapped green, and the green zense was active on the courses I have played using this so far. Not sure where you came up with that information you mentioned above, but that is not just not true.

My apologies, I meant the editing of downloaded courses and re-mapping them. A very poor choice of words on my part.

Question: On the SkyCaddie, to see the Intelligreen feature, do you have to press a button? I expect you do since you can switch between a target view and green view. Is this correct?

SkyCaddie has some feature called "greens at" and you can set this yardage to whatever you want. I think the default is 150, so when you get within 150, it switches to intelligreen mode. You can make this number higher or lower.

Just to be sure, I don't mind pushing a few buttons to select my targets, or change holes. I'm speaking more about mapping courses, targets, and greens. For example, in the Neo the sequence of buttons to add/edit a custom point is to push escape, OK (map golf course), arrow down (up to 6 times) to the feature you want to map (F/B/C/custom1-4), push OK, arrow to what type of point name you want, arrow down the list of names push ok, push ok, wait 5 seconds, arrow to save, push OK, wait for a few seconds, now push escape to get back to playing golf. Now do this all over again at the next bunker, or F/B/C of green x 18 holes. Don't forget to focus and sink that birdie putt!

I'm glad some of you guys found this info useful as well. The truth is, I don't think there are any "bad" units--well, maybe the SG3&4, it's just a matter of what you're looking for in a golf GPS. I think the best is yet to come from all of these companies, and the next few years will show us some really polished products.

I'll leave you with this tidbit of a conversation I had with my friend that ended up with the SG2.5. We were talking about all of the units, and how each one had it's own pros & cons. That none of them "had it all", and none of them had the perfect product. He likened all theses OEM's in the Golf GPS game like the wildebeests that have to migrate through the crocodile-infested rivers in Africa. The wildebeest knows that it wants what's on the other side of that river, but it also knows that a few of them are going to get eaten by crocodiles along the way. Like this: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/phenomenal-...tion-kenya.html

We'll just have to see who makes it out on the other side when the crocodiles, lions, and leopards have had their fill.

The Guru will be pretty good when the editing of points are available. I played Saturday with the Skycaddie 2.5 and the Guru. The Guru only had f,c,b for greens on every hole. It went back in the bag after the first hole. I had a SG2 and swore I would never by a skycaddie again, but the 2.5 was very good. It had most every point that needed to be known and received excellent reception throughout the round.

Another question: Has anyone requested a course to be mapped and how long did it take for them to get it on their site? I know the site states 7 days but the fine print states "Once we have all required information (scorecard and hole layout) pertaining to this particular course, and if acceptable aerial imagery exists, your course can usually be generated within 7 business days." I'm just wondering how long it takes them to get a course on the site?

Another question: Has anyone requested a course to be mapped and how long did it take for them to get it on their site? I know the site states 7 days but the fine print states "Once we have all required information (scorecard and hole layout) pertaining to this particular course, and if acceptable aerial imagery exists, your course can usually be generated within 7 business days." I'm just wondering how long it takes them to get a course on the site?

I gave them about six courses in my area to map. I have gotten one back and it took about 10 days I think. I told them that it is still winter in Michigan and there was no hurry on the rest. If they don't come by the first week of March I will prompt them for them.

They are extremely easy to deal with and they take care of any problems quickly.

I received, registered and requested about 9 courses yesterday. I will report back when they are posted.

I got to use mine for the first time today and I really like it. I have used the SkyCaddie and I really don't think it can compare. I really like how you can keep your score and stats. A few days ago I requested a few courses to be mapped. I understand that it takes around 7 for them to complete the process. I will update.

I received my Guru a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately I won't get a chance to use it for a couple more months. I sent in a few course requests, but I was curious about how they are mapping the courses. Are they only mapping greens (outlines for green zense/f/c/b) without the additional features, like traps, water or other features for planning play from the tee?

For those of you who plan on using your Guru without a case and simply using your pocket may want to consider this.

http://www.invisibleshield.com/

I just got a screen protector from them for the Guru. I have one on my cell phone as I carry that in my pocket. This shield is rock hard, crystal clear and does not scratch.

The cost is $11.95 and I think that includes the postage.

I have had the one on my phone for several months now and it is showing no sign of coming off.

This is a very good product

Hello Golfgame,

Thank you for contacting ZAGG, home of the invisibleSHIELD! My name is Alyssa and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

In regards to your email, yes, others will be able to purchase that shield without having to pay the $4.95 custom design fee. Once our designers have created a design for a device, it is then added to our website so that others can purchase it as well.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or comments.

Thank you for choosing the invisibleSHIELD. We appreciate your business!

All the best,

ALYSSA M.

Customer Service Representative

ZAGG Inc

3855 S 500 W STE B, SLC, UT 84115

888.940.9663 (toll free)

801.263.0699 (office)

801.281.3458 (fax)

Also dba ShieldZone

Nasdaq BB Symbol: ZAGG

invisibleshield.com | zagg.com

Golfgame wrote:

Now that I have received the custom order for GolfGuru GPS unit will others with the same unit be able to purchase one without the $4.95 custom charge? If so I will post that on the golf forum.

Pls advise.