RECAP: LIVE Q&A with COBRA GOLF

HipCheck

[quote name='golf0101' timestamp='1395717364' post='8944493']
I like the bio cell hybrid a lot but the shaft was too light and an upgrade shaft puts the pricepoint above some of the other brands that have a premium shaft. Why not offer a heavier shaft stock option in the hybrid?
[/quote] [color=#000000][size=3]Thanks for the candid feedback. I can understand that you may want a heavier shaft, and I am now considering that as an option for the next line.[/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3]However I want to make sure that when you say more expensive are we comparing apples to apples. In my research I find that only Titleist has a real deal shaft which is priced at $229. If you order the BiO CELL hybrid with an upgraded Fujikura Fuel 85 gram shaft, the retail price would be $224. They would both have upgraded shafts with adjustable hosels. As far as the others: TM offers the SLDR (adjustable hosel) at $229 but the shaft is not real deal the read deal shaft would be price at $289. Others offer hybrids at $199 and $219 but don't feature MyFly8 or SmartPad technologies that allow you to maximize your distance or tune for a specific distance, course or condition while maintaining a square face at address. - Jose Miraflor[/size][/color]

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='3 piece' timestamp='1395714825' post='8944145']
As a major company in the golf industry, do you think all of the emphasis on hitting it long has cause some of the slow play in today's game?
[/quote] [size="2"][color="#000000"]We believe that golf is a challenging sport for all levels of players and are consistently striving to make better performing equipment to make the game for fun for all players, whether you are Rickie Fowler or Joe Smith.[/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#000000"]The technical and marketing focus on Loooooooooong is there for 2 reasons: firstly, if you hit it the same direction but longer, it is a benefit to scoring lower = more fun! Secondly, it's what people want and buy. The trade off comes when the golfer has to evaluate straight vs longer in some form. Straight and long is the best, that's why we provide low CG (long) with high inertia (straight), because if you are not Rickie Fowler, you have to deal with and play those miss-hits of yours![/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#000000"]We believe the pace of play issue is primarily an ego problem, where golfers pick the wrong tees. We suggest you move up a tee until you start having fun and play from there. We agree with the PGA of America and the Play it Forward initiative. - Tom Olsavsky[/color][/size]

[quote name='3 piece' timestamp='1395683158' post='8939845']
What were the reasons for choosing tungsten as the material for the weights in the Bio Cell Irons?
[/quote] [size="2"][color="#000000"]Tungsten, which is a very high density material, gives us the ability to improve the properties of the iron both in CG location and MOI. We use the weights spread far apart for maximum MOI in the longer irons, and centered for the short irons. When you save weight from other locations of the head (like the face and undercut frame, its best to strategically locate the removed weight for better performance. - Tom Olsavsky[/color][/size]

[quote name='COBRA PUMA GOLF' timestamp='1395861008' post='8956653']
[quote name='3 piece' timestamp='1395714825' post='8944145']
As a major company in the golf industry, do you think all of the emphasis on hitting it long has cause some of the slow play in today's game?
[/quote] [size=2][color=#000000]We believe that golf is a challenging sport for all levels of players and are consistently striving to make better performing equipment to make the game for fun for all players, whether you are Rickie Fowler or Joe Smith.[/color][/size]
[size=2][color=#000000]The technical and marketing focus on Loooooooooong is there for 2 reasons: firstly, if you hit it the same direction but longer, it is a benefit to scoring lower = more fun! Secondly, it's what people want and buy. The trade off comes when the golfer has to evaluate straight vs longer in some form. Straight and long is the best, that's why we provide low CG (long) with high inertia (straight), because if you are not Rickie Fowler, you have to deal with and play those miss-hits of yours![/color][/size]
[size=2][color=#000000]We believe the pace of play issue is primarily an ego problem, where golfers pick the wrong tees. We suggest you move up a tee until you start having fun and play from there. We agree with the PGA of America and the Play it Forward initiative. - Tom Olsavsky[/color][/size]
[/quote]

Agree totally. Ego's need to be checked in the parking lot.

If there is going to be a Cobra driving iron made please make a left handed version available. It will go in my bag on release day.

WITB:

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha DBD16 Evenflow Blue
3 Wood: Callaway XR Pro 15* Tensei Orange
Hybrid: Cobra Bio Cell 19* Tensei Orange
Irons: Miura CB/MB Combo Y Grind 4-PW
Wedges: Miura 51*/55* PM Grind 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Ardmore

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to answer questions! Cobra is my preferred driver brand by far!

I'm really intrigued by the Bio Cell lineup. Once the face on my ZL caves in, I might have to look into it :)

Keep up the good work! LOVE that black Bio Cell head.

Ping G425 Max, 12* set to 13.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 65 R
Ping G425 Max 5 wood, 17.5* set to 18.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 75 S

Titleist 818h1 23* set to 24*, Project X Evenflow Blue S

Ping i210 4-UW, Nippon Modus 105S, Black Dot
Titleist Vokey SM7 54* 14F, 58* 12D Wedge Flex
Evnroll ER6B

Titleist Pro V1

i appologize if this has been asked prior but I haven't read through the thread yet-

Any thoughts of releasing a utility iron like the 712U? Not sure the interest level but i would love to have a utility iron that I could play a graphite hybrid shaft in. From what i've seen the choices are super limited and I don't want to have a shaft shaved down either.

thanks guys!

[quote name='COBRA PUMA GOLF' timestamp='1395853391' post='8955479']
[size=4][quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1395426265' post='8919515']
We have seen limited releases for the US Masters & US Open. Any chance the other two majors get something similiar?
[/quote]

[color=#000000]Thanks for your interest in the LE's. We think they are a nice way to bring some of the exitement around the Majors to the Cobra brand! While we would like to create additional releases, we still want to ensure that they are in demand by golfers. What do you think golfers would be more excited about? An Open Championship or PGA Championship release? BTW- What country to you live in? -Jose Miraflor[/color][/size]
[/quote]
Thank you for your response.
I personally think lots of golfers would enjoy an open championship release, due to the heritage of the tournament.I could imagine the history of the open combined with some cobra-freshness could produce a cool club. As it is the only major overseas it would probably be very popular in europe. I'd love to see a dark blue head with red and gold accents. I live in Switzerland

[u][b][size=5]WINNERS[/size][/b][/u]

The winners of the Cobra BiO Cell Drivers are...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/281735-jcorna01/"]jcorna01[/url]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/113828-wvp/"]WVP[/url]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/270880-milt/"]milt[/url]

PMs sent out. Congrats guys and thanks to everyone who submitted a question!

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

Wow. I was pumped about the Bio Cell drivers before and even more so after the Cobra responses in here. Thanks so much Cobra and WRX. Review to come!

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

Thanks Cobra Puma Golf for taking the time to answer our questions and congrats to the winners, you will not be disappointed in the BIO Cell Driver!!

[color=#ff8c00]Cobra BIO Cell+ 9.5* Driver Diamana D+ 72X
Cobra BIO Cell+ 3/5 Wood Diamana D+ 72X[/color]
Cobra Fly-Z Forged 4-PW KBS Tour X
Cobra Tour Trusty 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev X
Cobra Cell Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/989801-adambs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I have loved the look of all the custom offerings you have been offering. The problem is I could never justify buying one because I would hope the shaft that came with it would be at least possibly useful for me. Any chance we might see an x-flex in the major themed, or player themed editions sometime in the near future? I mean I know that I might end up tinkering with the shaft anyway, but the color schemes on the themed club shafts is for the most part gorgeous.

[quote name='COBRA PUMA GOLF' timestamp='1395860101' post='8956515']
[quote name='NTKT10' timestamp='1395426527' post='8919549']
Cobra is advertising Bio-Cell design and the Venollum crown as weight saving technologies designed to allow more weight to be located low and back for increased MOI. Why did Cobra opt for a low and back CG and not low and forward like some competitors?

Also is there any chance of a limited release of solid color heads? I like the colors, but I'm just not a fan of the two tone look.
[/quote]
[color=#000000][size=3]We are trying to appeal to the widest range of golfers by providing maximum distance with forgiveness. Players who have miss hits (pretty much every golfer who isn't on tour) need forgiveness to go along with the best trajectory for maximum distance. [/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=3]Low CG is very good for maximizing distance by reducing spin. We spend a lot of engineering energy lowering the CG of the entire structure, above and beyond what our competitors do. (E9, redesigned MyFly hosel, BiO cell weighting) [/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=3]Forward CG positions, however, are hard to hit and not forgiving on miss hits. This is because the act of moving the CG forward greatly reduces club MOI. This fact, in addition to the request for more forgiveness from our tour players Ricky Fowler, Jonas Blixt, Lexi Thompson, Ian Poulter, and Greg Norman lead us to engineer clubs with low and BACK CG positions. We achieve the same low spin trajectories as competitors, but retain much more speed and direction due to the higher club MOI....the best of both worlds![/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=3]Here is a chart showing this with vs some of our older drivers and most of the competitive drivers. There is a good representation of:[/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3]1) all Titanium, no-adjustability [/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3]2) early generation adjustable weights [/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3]3) new low & forward CG designs [/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3]4) higher MOI yet low adjustability heads[/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3]5) BiO Cell and BiO Cell+ with the best combination of low CG and higher MOI for distance and forgiveness[/size][/color]

[attachment=2142567:Driver Dippin Dots Chart for GolfWRX 3.26.2014_pls.jpg]

[color=#000000][size=3]Bottom line.... We are amongst the lowest and in the mid to high range on MOI which is where most of the market needs are.[/size][/color]
[/quote]

This makes complete sense. I was wondering why at the last demo day, as I was hitting some of the competitor drivers I did not hit as straight when I would have a toe hit. (my nemesis) When I came to the Bio cell it was a world of difference. The club head just felt so stable through impact. It looks like Cobra is not forgetting who their market is and offering a great feeling, very forgiving,and maximum distance premium driver. Thank you for the walk through on the technology of why Low and Forward CG might not be the best option for most golfers.

[quote/]
[color=#000000][size=3]We are trying to appeal to the widest range of golfers by providing maximum distance with forgiveness. Players who have miss hits (pretty much every golfer who isn't on tour) need forgiveness to go along with the best trajectory for maximum distance. [/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=3]Low CG is very good for maximizing distance by reducing spin. We spend a lot of engineering energy lowering the CG of the entire structure, above and beyond what our competitors do. (E9, redesigned MyFly hosel, BiO cell weighting) [/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=3]Forward CG positions, however, are hard to hit and not forgiving on miss hits. This is because the act of moving the CG forward greatly reduces club MOI. This fact, in addition to the request for more forgiveness from our tour players Ricky Fowler, Jonas Blixt, Lexi Thompson, Ian Poulter, and Greg Norman lead us to engineer clubs with low and BACK CG positions. We achieve the same low spin trajectories as competitors, but retain much more speed and direction due to the higher club MOI....the best of both worlds![/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=3]Here is a chart showing this with vs some of our older drivers and most of the competitive drivers. There is a good representation of:[/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3]1) all Titanium, no-adjustability [/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3]2) early generation adjustable weights [/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3]3) new low & forward CG designs [/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3]4) higher MOI yet low adjustability heads[/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3]5) BiO Cell and BiO Cell+ with the best combination of low CG and higher MOI for distance and forgiveness[/size][/color]

[attachment=2142567:Driver Dippin Dots Chart for GolfWRX 3.26.2014_pls.jpg]

[color=#000000][size=3]Bottom line.... We are amongst the lowest and in the mid to high range on MOI which is where most of the market needs are.[/size][/color]
[/quote]

This makes complete sense. I was wondering why, when hitting competitors drivers I was struggling on the miss hits. My nemesis is the toe shot and some of the other drivers I hit, the club face did not feel stable at all through impact. When I came to the bio cell I was pleasantly surprised at how stable the head felt through impact. Im glad cobra is designing on the masses, with the bio cell you get a very forgiving driver, maximum distance, and great performance. You can't go wrong. Thank you for the walk through on the technology behind your center of gravity position and why low and forward might not be the best option for everyone.