Walking vs Riding

It really depends. In casual or practice rounds I prefer to ride as I can cover more ground and get more holes in in a shorter time.

If I'm really trying to play my best, I keep my head in the game better when I'm walking.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in Sweden everybody walk, on a lot of courses you need a note from a doctor to even be able to rent a cart. You rarely see a cart on the course, maybe once a year and even 80 year old men and women walk and keep the pace without a problem.

Ping G25 12* Driver
Ping Rapture 17* and Ping K15 19* woods
Ping G20 23* hybrid
Ping G25 5-PW irons
Ping Tour Gorge wedges 50*SS/56*WS/60*SS
SeeMore FGP Original putter

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1396632035' post='9020269']
OK, I'll be the outlier. I like to ride. Where I play if
you ride you do a lot of walking anyway.

Frankly, I like the cart. I can stick my phone, drinks,
ice, etc. on there. It has sand on each side for
filling in divots. It's just convenient.

Some guys, I admit, take it too far and won't walk
to their balls. I have a Garmin watch. If my buddy
parks by his ball first, I'll grab a couple clubs and
walk over to mine and play ready golf.

If I have a 40 yard pitch shot, I'll grab a club and my
putter and head over while my buddy takes the cart
to the green.

We don't use a cart to avoid walking, we use it to
avoid carrying. We're old, the weather is tough and
we like our creature comforts!
[/quote]

I think there is a small niche group of walking enthusiasts. The GolfWRX community may be over represented in terms of walkers. In general carts are like eating at McDonald's or shopping at Wal-Mart. Nobody claims to eat or shop at either, yet they are always packed. I very rarely see a large contingent of walkers anymore. They seem to be made up of a few groupings...kids, walking enthusiasts/health nuts, and folks on the lower end muni's trying to save some bucks. This is only anecdotal info of course, but I would guess, only 25% of the folks golfing are walking in my small world.

I prefer to walk. Since I play a decent portion of my golf as a single (Being married and with a 6 year old, I have to play when the opportunity presents itself), walking has the added benefit of not forcing me to sit in a cart with a total stranger. It's amazing how much easier it is to put up with someone who might not be your ideal playing partner when you don't have to share the cart.

I think golf is actually a more social sport when people walk ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I've said many times that we're heading for a time when walking a golf course is a niche pursuit only available to relatively wealthy golfers and only appealing to old guys. Certainly in my area the majority of affordable public courses and low-cost private ones do not allow walking. Most don't allow it at all and the ones that do mostly restrict it to odd times or off-season.

So the walking golfers are all either members of one of the pricier private clubs or they play at the two or three public courses that will still let them walk.

I've also noticed that the average age of walking golfers is over 50 years old while the majority of cart riders are under 50. So eventually all of old guys will die off and it'll just be occasional resort or high-end private club with a caddie thing.

I ride all the time.It you walked the courses where I live it would not be considered fun unless you want to get in shape to run a marathon.There is no such thing as a flat course here.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

I live in Dallas and other than a few municipal courses, most nicer public tracks require all customers use a cart. Many are so spread out that walking isn't a realistic option if they hope to maintain any kind of pace of play. (Not to mention the health risks when the temps are in the triple digits.)

The last time I walked a golf course is when I lived up north. I didn't notice any difference with my game either way. With the advent of the push-cart....and the electric push cart, the exercise part of golf is pretty much gone anyway. I workout to get exercise....not walk a golf course.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1396639169' post='9021335']
Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

How is moving my 230 pound bulk around a golf course not "exercise" but if I were carrying a 20 pound bag of golf clubs it would be? :haha:
[/quote]

LOL, good point. A bag doesn't make a difference. I never considered myself as 'exercising' when I was playing golf. I was walking.

I do wish more places were conducive to walk around here. The crazy part is that many private clubs are built for walking. My buddy joined a club a few years ago and walks all the time.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I walk 99.9% of my rounds unless it is required or i am on vacation.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

[quote name='sheppy335' timestamp='1396639969' post='9021479']
I walk 99.9% of my rounds unless it is required or i am on vacation.
[/quote]

Finding a course that is a easy walk is hard to find in western pa. , there is definitely more courses that are suited for a mountain goat vs. one's that are truly flat

I prefer to walk, but very hilly courses are hard on my knees.

I have been wearing an ACL brace the past four seasons on my left leg, and towards the end of last season my right knee really started to bother me.

I will start this year walking, but may end up riding.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

I prefer to walk and will when able. Unfortunately, in SOCA and AZ many courses frown on walking, so its difficult. Sadly, one reason is many courses today give cart fee's to the pros. Allowing walkers takes money out of his/her pocket, which I understand. Another reason for joining another private club.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I was diagnosed with diabetes two years ago. I started walking and walking golf shortly after. Not only did I get my diabetes under control without meds I also lost 50 lbs in the process the first yr.
I love to walk golf now. I have been slowly getting my playing partners to walk with me and they comment on how much more they like to play golf walking now that they have tried it. My friend and I walked a 10 1/4 mile course this Tues. All he talked about was how nice it was to get out and walk it. It wasn't the best course to make time on but we were a twosome waiting a twosome of riders all day long but it was cart path only so I know that helped slow them down. My regular foursome ride and have walked some now. I'd say we are quicker walking than we are riding. We are not the best when it comes to cart management at times.

[quote name='DrunkenTiger' timestamp='1396646879' post='9022245']
walkers are slow ! don't walk if you can't walk faster than 10 MPH.
[/quote]

For some reason I clicked "quote" on your post and I've typed and deleted a few replies.

Now I've clicked on your profile and looked at some of your other thoughtful, reasoned replies to threads.

I think I'll just give it a miss.

[quote name='Phobos' timestamp='1396634967' post='9020773']
Here in Sweden everybody walk, on a lot of courses you need a note from a doctor to even be able to rent a cart. You rarely see a cart on the course, maybe once a year and even 80 year old men and women walk and keep the pace without a problem.
[/quote]

That's excellent. I believe there's something wrong with the mindset that believes carts are integral to golf.

When I first started playing I walked because it was cheaper. Then I started making a bit of money and started riding. Then I played in a few RSG events and at Bandon Dunes where walking was the exception, not the rule.

I prefer to walk.

I also prefer to walk, but it depends on the course. Some of the courses around here would just be to difficult to walk and some charge the same whether you walk or ride. If they make me pay for the cart, I'm going to use it. I usually play better and have more fun walking. A little more time to calm down after a bad shot and usually it feels like a better pace of play when spending a few minutes walking to your ball instead of driving to it and waiting to hit. The course we play most of the time started advertising the fee to ride and to walk a couple of years ago, and there are a lot of people walking now. Was rare to see a walker before. With all the cart fees I have saved, the clicgear has paid itself off and now I'm making money!

You walkers should all come here. No one, and I mean no one, will care if you walk. Carts are path only, and I have seen many times a 28 yd shot followed by a 20 yd walk back to the cart, drive the 28 yards, hit a 53 yd shot, walk back to the cart, drive 53 yds ad infinitum. If any part of my group walked, and I had a good Clicgear I wouldn't mind an occasional walk, but we have a lot of wind and triple digit heat during the summer.

[quote name='go2hale' timestamp='1396665726' post='9023991']
I also prefer to walk, but it depends on the course. Some of the courses around here would just be to difficult to walk and some charge the same whether you walk or ride. If they make me pay for the cart, I'm going to use it. I usually play better and have more fun walking. A little more time to calm down after a bad shot and usually it feels like a better pace of play when spending a few minutes walking to your ball instead of driving to it and waiting to hit. The course we play most of the time started advertising the fee to ride and to walk a couple of years ago, and there are a lot of people walking now. Was rare to see a walker before. With all the cart fees I have saved, the clicgear has paid itself off and now I'm making money!
[/quote]

That's kinda funny to me.

Regardless of whether or not the cart is padded into the fee, I'm walking. I'd prefer not to have to pay for the cart, but it doesn't impact my walk-ride decision.

[quote name='KLeC' timestamp='1396632595' post='9020369']

to the green.

[/quote]

As much as we like to walk, we played Fighting Joe in the Shoals 3 times last week. After the first round, we said Uncle. They obviously don't promote walking on the Trail with 200 to 400 yards between some of the holes.
[/quote]

I have played many of the courses on the RTJ Trail and none are walker friendly. Fighting Joe is a very long course. If you want to feel exhausted after walking try playing Ross Bridges from the tips it is 8191 yards. It is a beautiful and immaculate course but it has a lot of hills and is stretched out. My group tried to play it from the tips on one hole you had to have a 260 carry just to hit the front of the fairway. I keep wondering when I will get my 300 yard carry due to my wrx membership.

[quote name='Ranchobob' timestamp='1396674149' post='9024717']
[quote name='go2hale' timestamp='1396665726' post='9023991']
I also prefer to walk, but it depends on the course. Some of the courses around here would just be to difficult to walk and some charge the same whether you walk or ride. If they make me pay for the cart, I'm going to use it.[b] I usually play better and have more fun walking.[/b] A little more time to calm down after a bad shot and usually it feels like a better pace of play when spending a few minutes walking to your ball instead of driving to it and waiting to hit. The course we play most of the time started advertising the fee to ride and to walk a couple of years ago, and there are a lot of people walking now. Was rare to see a walker before. With all the cart fees I have saved, the clicgear has paid itself off and now I'm making money!
[/quote]

That's kinda funny to me.

Regardless of whether or not the cart is padded into the fee, I'm walking. I'd prefer not to have to pay for the cart, but it doesn't impact my walk-ride decision.
[/quote]

Don't let the money or the thought you are paying for something and not using it get in your way of you playing better and having more fun walking. Paying the same walking or riding is something in my area that is more common than it use to be. My friend and I payed for the cart Tues and chose to walk a 10+ mile course. So you take the cart play worse and have less fun? I'd agree that's kind of funny.

Here is something I think is funny. I bought the hot deal on golf.now for a local course for $16 with cart. I called the course first and it was $25 to walk and $38 with cart. I showed up and gave the person my receipt. When the person gave me the cart key I said I didn't need it and was planning on walking. They argued with me and said I had to use the cart because I paid for it. They even said the walking fee was more and if I wanted to walk I had to pay the difference. There was a single behind me laughing about the whole thing. He says I'll tell you what. I am riding. Here is $25 pay him to walk and I'll take your $16 w/ cart and it will save $13. Done deal. We paired up and had a great time together.

I prefer to ride, for a couple of reasons. Just because I ride doesn't mean I can't walk when I want, I can just tell my partner that I'm going to walk this hole(s) and that's that. Secondly, when you get older, and having a sport's injury or two, you'll will appreciate the ride. Sure, those of you who think you'll never get old or have injuries, just wait, life catches up with everybody. After all, not all golfers are 30 yo, or can hit 330yds with a 125mph swing, can spin the ball back 20ft, etc. We all get older.

[quote name='KLeC' timestamp='1396632386' post='9020329']
"Carts improve the pace of play" is a myth, IMO. Our Saturday morning foursome will push a foursome in carts ... And our group is from 51 to 64. If it's cart path only why would anyone want to ride? It's so much easier to walk to the next shot with the right club.
[/quote]

It's only a myth in the context of the players. People who play quickly and know how to use a cart will leave walkers behind every time. It's simply a matter of speed, the cart is going to get to the ball faster than someone walking. Now people who don't use the cart correctly, going to each ball for every shot instead of dropping off one rider and then going to the other ball and such, yes walkers can push them. But that just comes back again to the fact that some people are fast and some are slow, no matter how they get around.

But I do 100% agree with you on the cart path only statement. The only reason I can imagine not just walking in that situation is if you have a big, heavy bag and no push cart.

[quote name='Low Draw' timestamp='1396686983' post='9024999']
[quote name='KLeC' timestamp='1396632595' post='9020369']

to the green.

[/quote]

As much as we like to walk, we played Fighting Joe in the Shoals 3 times last week. After the first round, we said Uncle. They obviously don't promote walking on the Trail with 200 to 400 yards between some of the holes.
[/quote]

I have played many of the courses on the RTJ Trail and none are walker friendly. Fighting Joe is a very long course. If you want to feel exhausted after walking try playing Ross Bridges from the tips it is 8191 yards. It is a beautiful and immaculate course but it has a lot of hills and is stretched out. My group tried to play it from the tips on one hole you had to have a 260 carry just to hit the front of the fairway. I keep wondering when I will get my 300 yard carry due to my wrx membership.
[/quote]

Yep. Most of the "walking" courses are old layouts that
are relatively flat and have cheap senior rates.

The RTJ Trail courses are not old, or flat, nor do they
have senior rates. Few walk, I've seen some, mostly
young guys from area HS and College Teams that
have to walk in tournaments and so prefer to walk.

With the weather here, if old guys want to walk, you'd
need EMS people on site with 60mph carts, lol.

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1396710282' post='9026061']
I prefer to ride, for a couple of reasons. Just because I ride doesn't mean I can't walk when I want, I can just tell my partner that I'm going to walk this hole(s) and that's that. Secondly, when you get older, and having a sport's injury or two, you'll will appreciate the ride. Sure, those of you who think you'll never get old or have injuries, just wait, life catches up with everybody. After all, not all golfers are 30 yo, or can hit 330yds with a 125mph swing, can spin the ball back 20ft, etc. We all get older.
[/quote]

Oh I'm there.

Three compressed vertebrae in a car wreck and broke three transverse processes off in a motorcycle wreck.

This year I called "uncle" and my wife gave me a Clic Gear push cart for my birthday. I love it. Still get to walk, but don't have to pop Advil like M&M's after the round.

On courses that aren't walkable, I usually let who I'm paired with drive and often walk to my ball as long as I'm not holding us up.

Deadsolid......shank is right, of course. One in a hundred guys in carts can dust a walker. But if they're not the first group off, they'll be waiting anyway. :lol:

I like to walk and carry. Where I live it is ridiculously expensive to rent a cart and it is just "normal" to walk. The few times I have used a cart I have found it very convenient, but my body seems to respond negatively to the sitting in between shots (it "gets cold" somehow) and I play worse. Agreed on the pace of play comments above.

[quote name='Phobos' timestamp='1396634967' post='9020773']
[/quote]

Same here in Denmark, everybody walks. A doctors note is not typically required, but walking is just a normal part of playing golf.