2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Swizbeatz WITB new byron and M2 tour page 5

How big is your yardage gap between the two hybrids? Do you see any issues with that where it would make you think about dropping a wedge and putting in another hybrid, or is it not a big problem for you?

I've had the opposite approach, trying to keep consistent gaps at the top end of the bag where I find I don't have as much success controlling distances with 3/4, and going with a 54/58 wedge setup, because I feel more comfortable with those in-between shots.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1396971149' post='9046427']
How big is your yardage gap between the two hybrids? Do you see any issues with that where it would make you think about dropping a wedge and putting in another hybrid, or is it not a big problem for you?

I've had the opposite approach, trying to keep consistent gaps at the top end of the bag where I find I don't have as much success controlling distances with 3/4, and going with a 54/58 wedge setup, because I feel more comfortable with those in-between shots.
[/quote]

Remember I'm shorter than you. The cobra gets out to 230+ with roll off the tee but only ~220 of the ground and the 27* goes ~210. Works good, I can flight it really high and only carries ~195 if I'm in a neighboring fairway with tree trouble, useful shot!

Thanks for the other comments guys!

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1396972377' post='9046657']
[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1396971149' post='9046427']

[/quote]

Remember I'm shorter than you. The cobra gets out to 230+ with roll off the tee but only ~220 of the ground and the 27* goes ~210. Works good, I can flight it really high and only carries ~195 if I'm in a neighboring fairway with tree trouble, useful shot!

Thanks for the other comments guys!
[/quote]
I see now. The 27 goes farther than I would have thought. I have a 23 that replaced my 3 iron, and it goes about 225 for me -- I was thinking you'd probably be getting 225-230 with the 19, and around 200 with the 27. For your low ball tendencies, I can see how the extra carry with the higher lofted hybrid would translate to more distance over the lower lofted hybrid.

TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• 3 weeks later...

Fired the highest round of the year so far yesterday in first competitive round of the year. Sounds weird but I actually really like the bag, combination of a lot of things including early season rust led to the score. The irons have been phenomenal, I went a stretch a week ago where I made 5 birdies in 6 holes and should have been all 6, 3 were with mid irons and longest putt was 6 feet. I've hit more pure 5/6 irons that in entire seasons in the past. Competitive golf is a different animal though.

I will probably start throwing the 4 iron in and rotating it with the 27* hybrid. With how well I'm hitting the irons I figure I should at least try it out on course. I still need to get the 3 wood reshafted, I've been playing it as is since I already moved the xhot on and hit it pretty well yesterday. I also have a 50.12 gold nickel sm5 on the way to replace the 52.

I need to replace my sm4 56.11 due to wear, even though it doesn't say a grind it looks like its an M grind right? I always assumed it was just the "standard" full sole sand wedge, the description of the M grind doesn't seem to fit me at all. Wonder why they didn't make a 56* K grind.

Are you referring to the SM5's not having a 56K? I haven't seen the SM5's so if that is what you were referring to then disregard.

The wedge in my profile pic is a 56K. It's a TVD though, not a SM5.

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
915H 21* Diamana White 90
712u 4i, 712CB 5-6, 712MB 7-P; C-Taper
Scotty Cameron GoLo
Vokey SM4 50, 55K Grind, 60E Grind
WITB Link

I have more confidence in hitting my longer irons consistently compared to hybrids. I know I can hit a Hybrid higher and longer compared to an iron, but with hybrids, I find distance and trajectory control lacking. Can I hit a high shot to a front pin with a 3 iron? Nope. But I can hit a three iron a lot of different ways on demand. I can't with a hybrid.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1398714754' post='9189019']
I have more confidence in hitting my longer irons consistently compared to hybrids. I know I can hit a Hybrid higher and longer compared to an iron, but with hybrids, I find distance and trajectory control lacking. Can I hit a high shot to a front pin with a 3 iron? Nope. But I can hit a three iron a lot of different ways on demand. I can't with a hybrid.
[/quote]

When I hit it well its awesome, I can hit greens from 210 and hold them. This wind we've had around here lately though makes it a tough club to hit.

MP thanks for the heads up, I'll look at tvd. Mind a quick review of yours? On the titleist website there are 3 56* grinds offered and the K is not one of them, its S, F, M.

Wheels are definitely turning. Short par 4 at my club, ~330 with a slight dog leg left and bunkers on the corner. Normally hit driver over the bunkers which leaves an 80 yard flip wedge into a heavily sloped green perched about 30 feet above where your hitting from. Really cool hole IMO for how short it is, when the greens get fast you cannot be above the hole which puts some pressure on the wedge shot.

Sorry for the backstory but yesterday I pounded a draw into ~ a 15 mile breeze that didn't clear the bunkers. Lasered the tee and carried it 212. I'd say I'm the typical 105 SS 250 carry guy, my drives are just getting killed though when its windy out at all. Does that sound really short to you guys even with the breeze factored in? I have the perfect setup with an empty CC and multiple high end club fitters in the area to fully test something like the Sldr, I think I'll take a demo on the course and hit it side by side, if its close to as easy to hit ill run up and get trackman #s and a fitting.

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1398954285' post='9210567']
Wheels are definitely turning. Short par 4 at my club, ~330 with a slight dog leg left and bunkers on the corner. Normally hit driver over the bunkers which leaves an 80 yard flip wedge into a heavily sloped green perched about 30 feet above where your hitting from. Really cool hole IMO for how short it is, when the greens get fast you cannot be above the hole which puts some pressure on the wedge shot.

Sorry for the backstory but yesterday I pounded a draw into ~ a 15 mile breeze that didn't clear the bunkers. Lasered the tee and carried it 212. I'd say I'm the typical 105 SS 250 carry guy, my drives are just getting killed though when its windy out at all. Does that sound really short to you guys even with the breeze factored in? I have the perfect setup with an empty CC and multiple high end club fitters in the area to fully test something like the Sldr, I think I'll take a demo on the course and hit it side by side, if its close to as easy to hit ill run up and get trackman #s and a fitting.
[/quote]
Depending on how cold it was, that really doesn't sound all that short into the wind at your swing speed. I'm starting to think that on course side by side testing is the way to go when comparing clubs. In my experience, I can get some great numbers on a monitor with some drivers, and when I get them on the course, I have no idea where it's going.

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1398986121' post='9214185']
[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1398954285' post='9210567']

[/quote]
Depending on how cold it was, that really doesn't sound all that short into the wind at your swing speed. I'm starting to think that on course side by side testing is the way to go when comparing clubs. In my experience, I can get some great numbers on a monitor with some drivers, and when I get them on the course, I have no idea where it's going.
[/quote]

It was ~60*. I posted these numbers a few other places but I hit the Sldr against my G25 a few times and noticed lower spin as everyone else is. I'm going to get numbers again for a longer amount of time and try more shafts/heads. One big thing is ball flight, I want to get numbers on a good cut shot and a good draw so I know what I'm comparing. I think the SLDR will outperform on both and make the cut shot more playable, right now I can't hit it into any sort of breeze although I hit a nice low draw on the shot in question. I am not getting any sort of roll out on the course right now either and my playing partners are starting to.

So now what do I try? I want to try both the 12* and if possible the 14* based on my previous numbers below. LA could be higher and I think a 14* set open to play a little less and help fight my draw would work well. I will obviously get some numbers again with the G although I have a few times already. The I25 has to be in the mix based on how straight I hit my current driver, if the Sldr doesn't work then its a lower spin option that I should hit well considering how much I like the G. I'm open to adding one or two more setups, maybe Cobra?

The plan then would be to build the driver that performs well on the launch monitor for me and get it out on the course for some extended trial. I'll mark up some Pro V's and a few off every tee all the way around my course. I don't know what else I can do lol, sounds like I should have the winner at the end of all that.

Ping G25 DI
[color=#282828]101.4 150.7 11.9 3016 1.49 250.0 37.0[/color]
[color=#282828]101.5 152.5 13.6 3435 1.50 253.3 43.7[/color]

[color=#282828]SLDR[/color][color=#282828] [/color][color=#282828]with DI[/color]
[color=#282828]102.8 153.7 12.4 2397 1.50 261.1 34.5[/color]
[color=#282828]102.5 150.1 11.1 2738 1.46 248.9 33.8[/color]

[color=#282828]SLDR with TS[/color]
[color=#282828]101.7 150.6 13.7 2662 1.48 257.3 38.3[/color]
[color=#282828]101.7 152.8 10.5 2570 1.50 250.3 31.5[/color]

[color=#282828]Check out the spin and decent angle on the one with the G that I really centered. [/color]

• 1 month later...

Couple thoughts

-302s are the best irons ever made

-G25 is the easiest driver to hit on the market. If you can't get over the head shape the I25 looks a lot better. Its super low spin but harder to hit consistently, plug and play with my current shaft so apples to apples. I didn't see it going any further on the course so the G25 is still in. I also didn't think the racing stripes ever lined up correct to my eye.

-After a bunch of testing I have replaced the 56* sm4 M grind with a black 56.S SM5. Thought I'd order a K but after a few rounds with a demo I had to go with what works. S grind is fantastic for someone that keeps it pretty square while chipping.

-The SLDR mini is as advertised on here in terms of playability off the deck. I'm a good player but struggle hitting it high, no problem with the 14 or 16 off turf. It did however seem to spin a lot, I was hoping for something that would be really long off the turf but its more for someone who uses 3 wood from the tee and doesn't like the shallow face 3 woods. Extremely straight IMO, solid club.

Bag is solid, down to ~1 on the season so far. Playing a ton and enjoying a CC membership for the first time. Still trying to break through in competitive golf and shoot those low rounds on unfamiliar courses, lots of 33-35 at my club but nothing in ~5 away tourney rounds. Heading up to play Forest Dunes and Kingsley with some other WRX pimps this upcoming weekend, will update with a few changes I hope to have done by then. DJ is finally going in the 3 wood and I'm hoping to get my hands on a DI 6X before the trip to try out. Wouldn't be right to show up to a WRX outing and not be putting something new in play right? Last year I brought 2 sets of irons and had epons pulled up on ebay after a range session before round 1! :partytime2:

• 2 weeks later...

Tough to throw new wedges in the bag, going from the M to S grind is taking some time. I've actually noticed the biggest difference on full shots, need to practice some more.

Got the G25 shafted up and all it does is hit low bullets. Gonna spend some more time with it on the course but I would bet it gets kicked out at some point. I hit a 14* mini much higher off the deck than this thing, it does roll FOREVER off the tee though. I think the shaft is a little stiff which has kept it from going left which is nice. We'll see, I'm eyeing mini's and also like that the G30 is adjustable.

Blew 60's in 3 straight rounds by 3 putts, still haven't crossed the 70 barrier yet this year. Lots of competitive golf coming up to put the bag through the wringer.

The good news is that I don't see you messing around with drivers or irons anytime soon. From what I saw last weekend tee to green was outstanding. I wouldn't put too much thought into the 3 putts. Probably just a bad weekend. Or are you thinking about messing around with something outside of the arm lock family?

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
Scotty Cameron GoLo
WITB Link

[quote name='MaxPower328' timestamp='1403878309' post='9589719']
The good news is that I don't see you messing around with drivers or irons anytime soon. From what I saw last weekend tee to green was outstanding. I wouldn't put too much thought into the 3 putts. Probably just a bad weekend. Or are you thinking about messing around with something outside of the arm lock family?
[/quote]

No not really. I might take a flow neck out for a round or two but I made everything the other day. Just a product of unfamiliar greens and no confidence.

I started getting more and more open in the setup and that led to me "pushing" the ball towards the hole, GBone noticed I wasn't releasing the putter head at all. I worked on that and putted better in the Sunday Kingsley round, turned a 67 into a 71 instead of 81 lol. That's the fun in playing with fellow golf nuts, getting good tips on the course.

Medalist last team play event, also finished 1st and 2nd in two member/member events at my club. The driver/Irons/scratch wedge are so locked in its ridiculous. I've gone on a steak of either 13 or 14 GIR that's up to ~10 rounds, all of them on very difficult away courses. Haven't turned anything in under 70 unfortunately, still missing that lights out putting day.

Looking at a new gap wedge, my sm4 is going back in for now but I've been looking at epon to match the iron set. Still hitting the 3 wood so low, hasn't been getting much play except for off the tee. Probably going to have a g30 with GD something shaft pre-ordered.

• 1 month later...

Let me know how the lesson goes. I'm interested to hear where they might start with a guy like yourself who is a low cap and probably doesn't want to completely break down your game and rebuild it.

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
Scotty Cameron GoLo
WITB Link

There were lots of options on where to start because my swing blows. I'll throw up a recent swing sometime too for the hell of it. I'm taking the club back outside and then looping it down inside and using hands to square it up last minute. That's always been my miss but I stopped taking divots which is what prompted the lesson. I'm working on taking it back more on plane, keeping width with the left arm coming down, and turn the hips. I played after and hit some really good shots including a few cuts off the tee. Good swing vs bad is easily identifiable by the divot pointing at target or if I loop it starts before the ball and is 45* to the right of target lol. It had gotten bad enough I couldn't hit 3 wood off the deck, did so successfully yesterday 3 times.

Index jumped from a .8 to a 3.1 with playing poorly.

Who are you working with?

One of the assistants at my club, none of the big names at Miles or anything. I just did a quick 30 minutes to get an idea/feel to work on but I'd also go back to him for sure, I actually grew up with him and he's a great guy. Definitely not looking to do a complete overhaul of everything until next year if at all, we didn't even talk grip etc.

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1408113594' post='9940715']
One of the assistants at my club, none of the big names at Miles or anything. I just did a quick 30 minutes to get an idea/feel to work on but I'd also go back to him for sure, I actually grew up with him and he's a great guy. Definitely not looking to do a complete overhaul of everything until next year if at all, we didn't even talk grip etc.
[/quote]
I've been working with my guy (Scott Hayes at MoG) for a couple of years now, and at no point did I ever do a full tear-down/rebuild of my swing. I have made some tweaks to my action, which have helped me to get less flippy at impact, and he's helped me to be able to fix my swing on the course when it goes sideways, but the biggest thing you should be able to get out of lessons is to get that handsy timing out of your swing and train yourself to get into a proper impact position. A lot of the time when I go for lessons, we end up working on basic stuff like setup and swing path, because I often get off-kilter and my path gets under plane, especially early in the takeaway. I find that the second set of eyes helps to get me moving in the right direction, especially when I've been struggling. He really straightened me out after I'd been struggling off the tee last month, and it was just a swing path issue (this time more downswing path, which is unusual for me), so a pretty easy fix.

• 1 month later...

More ammo that my g25 might be wildly mis marked, played with someone with a 12* g20 and at least visually there's no way mine doesn't have more loft. Doesn't matter much, just need to keep and eye on it when I go demo other stuff. Hoping to get on trackman pretty soon here.

• 1 month later...

Let me know your comparison of the Kuchar 1 and 2... thanks! :)

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

[quote name='Deuce78' timestamp='1415913456' post='10442333']
Let me know your comparison of the Kuchar 1 and 2... thanks! :)
[/quote]

I actually switched it up on the course a lot after getting the 1 last winter, played 50/50 if I had to guess. Sometimes it'd be every other round, I also went a month or more with each one. Really easy to switch back and forth, the 2 puts a little more pace on the ball because of more mass in the center id guess and has slightly more tendency to go left for me.

Below is the bag I played probably my last round in MI with

10.5 G25 DI 6S 44.5"

G25 3 wood DJ 7S 42"

Cobra ACP 3/4 set on 19*

Epon 302 Nippon SPO 4-PW

Scratch DD 52, DW hand ground 56/60

Betti Model 1 44"

D9AE9746-2E8E-45FF-B1A2-EA969A0D5D1A_zpswqg2kude.jpg

The wedges have been awesome for the most part. Square toe, 0 offset, my miss is on the toe but I'm forced to focus on not missing out there with these. They are second hand but SS and almost identical to the scratch 60 I was using before. Comparing the two, and I've got pics up the 60 after taking a grinding wheel to it, there is less trailing edge and significantly less heel relief. I'm going to have the guys at scratch work some magic on the 60 to make if more like the one I was using before, I love it except for it tends to dig when opened up more. I took them straight to the course and chipped in on the second hole, and my last two rounds of the year included one with two no doubt hole outs for eagle from ~50 yards and the next day a 4/4 bunker display including two hole outs. Safe to say they are permanently in the bag.

Couple of bonus pics of the trees turning at one of my home courses and Kingsley Club, favorite golf course I've ever played so far.

F58B8892-E98C-4CDE-B1FF-46EB91FD9411_zpspcjfjbjh.jpg

328E42C5-7470-432E-91AC-B0960F6C2394_zpsujc9xri0.jpg

C8A84A85-F5D2-419C-90AE-0BBF45F311C2_zps3dttykxl.jpg

B5A84CA2-0A24-4994-ACAE-F5A34E7D50D1_zpsghwbb9gt.jpg

F52362EE-73EF-45E0-A2CD-31CF1C25EED4_zpshideg3j9.jpg

47358D8F-13C7-49CC-BE75-BB1224B2C95D_zpsg36xdb0c.jpg

Does anyone know how to resize pics? Those last few are huge, whenever I drag them smaller it just resets when I hit post to original size...

Moving on to 2015.....

I'm extremely excited for a couple of releases for next year and can't wait for things like the G30 low spin and Nike gear to come out for demos. I know I will have a new top end of the bag come spring. Below are some interesting numbers from a recent trackman fitting that have me really excited.

Testing was done at Carls Golfland on a trackman hitting out onto the range with premium balls. Shout out to WRX'r 1TonDriver for his friendliness and fitting experience.

Swing speed-Smash-Ball speed-Launch-Spin-Carry-Total
Current driver
10.5 -.6* G30 Tour 60
10.5 915 D2 S+

104.7 1.49 156.0 12.4 2876 261 283
104.5 1.50 156.4 12.8 2450 266 291
105.2 1.49 155.7 14.6 2580 268 288

If I had to pick one now I'd go with the G30 but I'm waiting to test some other stuff. Used to have a full Nike bag so that and the low spin g30 are tops on the radar. The reason for the g30 over 915 is simple, dispersion and forgiveness. Those G30 numbers are over 8 swings without deleting one, the 915 numbers are 4 of 8 swings. The other big one is a decent angle 5* lower with the G30 than either of the other two, regardless of spin my decent angle was way too high to get any roll. With max heights in the 100-110 ft range decent angle was important for me to look at. Coming from the Ping it makes sense the 915 would be a little tougher to hit well but the forgiveness of the G30 felt like what I got used to this year with the G25.