Tour Striker Smart Ball

ts511

I order one. Got it in yesterday. It is not much more than a $30.00 beach ball, but I bought the idea more than anything. I swung my club with it in the house. I can't swing back further that 9:00. I thought I was limber, but it must have been arm run off. It is a stretch to swing back very far keeping the elbows close together. It has been raining for 3 days, as soon as I can I am going to hit ball with it. I am hoping being connected is the key.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really a ridiculous thing to buy, and I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who will say so, but I also just bought one. Hasn't arrived yet though.

I've got a cheapo nerf ball, but don't take it to the range because it doesn't fit in my bag and I'm worried about it falling out and going downrange when I hit balls with it. It's also a little difficult to arrange in the proper spot in the arms while gripping the club. This solves both issues. I guess I could have rigged something similar without too much difficulty, but I'd be taking time and effort to do so. I guess I'm just lazy?

[quote name='Epriley' timestamp='1396965574' post='9045511']
I like the idea of the aid, however way to expensive. I am currently working on this drill at moment to engrain in my swing and I just use a balloon. A bag of 30 cost me 1 dollar.

Below.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp7LNySfG7k[/media]

Great drill though good luck.
[/quote]
that's a brilliant idea and super cheap!

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support. The balloon is a good idea. I hope it is not windy out:) I don't think there is enough structure w a balloon though.

Yes, it is expensive for what it is, but...if it helps you, which it will, it is worth every nickel and more. Besides, the thing is a lot more rugged and built to last. I've used my protos w hundreds of student in the Arizona sun and they are still in good shape. Good for arm pit connection drills and arm structure drills. Unfortunately, we've almost blown threw our first batch and we have a little delay restocking.

[quote name='SullGolf' timestamp='1396965227' post='9045449']
It's really a ridiculous thing to buy, and I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who will say so, but I also just bought one. Hasn't arrived yet though.

I've got a cheapo nerf ball, but don't take it to the range because it doesn't fit in my bag and I'm worried about it falling out and going downrange when I hit balls with it. It's also a little difficult to arrange in the proper spot in the arms while gripping the club. This solves both issues. I guess I could have rigged something similar without too much difficulty, but I'd be taking time and effort to do so. I guess I'm just lazy?
[/quote]

You call it ridiculous but then give reasons why it's not .......

Something Rare
Something JDM
WITB Link

Really? P.T. Barnum got it right. It amazes me what golfers will pay for anything touted as a "golf training aid". But, whatever, if you feel it works then it is well worth it. I do like the idea of it having a tether though. A piece of netting would work just as well. If I were to spend the money, I think I would go with that gizmo that braces between your arms as advocated by I believe, "Smart Connection Golf".

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

[quote name='Dinosaur' timestamp='1397093874' post='9058243']
Really? P.T. Barnum got it right. It amazes me what golfers will pay for anything touted as a "golf training aid". But, whatever, if you feel it works then it is well worth it. I do like the idea of it having a tether though. A piece of netting would work just as well. If I were to spend the money, I think I would go with that gizmo that braces between your arms as advocated by I believe, "Smart Connection Golf".
[/quote]

Hello Dinosaur, I hear what you are saying, believe me. But....I'd say 90% of the people who use one in a lesson and see the before and after, buy one. Sure, if you are MacGyver, you can make your own and I hope you do. People blow $35 on stuff all the time and it doesn't satisfy the feeling of a solid shot:)

Oh, and you fellow golf junkies out there...Thank You!

[quote name='ts511' timestamp='1396964421' post='9045341']
I order one. Got it in yesterday. It is not much more than a $30.00 beach ball, but I bought the idea more than anything. I swung my club with it in the house. I can't swing back further that 9:00. I thought I was limber, but it must have been arm run off. It is a stretch to swing back very far keeping the elbows close together. It has been raining for 3 days, as soon as I can I am going to hit ball with it. I am hoping being connected is the key.
[/quote]

Exactly! Your flexibility will improve with use.

I coach a Web.com guy who can rip full drivers with the ball in his forearms. I understand from some students, Martin Kaymer was doing something similar at Augusta on Tuesday.

Thank you very much and I hope you reap the benefits of a synced up body/arms motion.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1397109089' post='9059791']
[quote name='ts511' timestamp='1396964421' post='9045341']
[/quote]

Exactly! Your flexibility will improve with use.

I coach a Web.com guy who can rip full drivers with the ball in his forearms. I understand from some students, Martin Kaymer was doing something similar at Augusta on Tuesday.

Thank you very much and I hope you reap the benefits of a synced up body/arms motion.
[/quote]

I hit balls with it for the first time yesterday. I have been hitting balls off the toe, with this center of the club face. Felt good. Can still only swing to 9:00 back, but if that is where I lose connection, it is probably as far back as I need to swing. Thanks Martin

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1397108863' post='9059781']
[quote name='Dinosaur' timestamp='1397093874' post='9058243']
[/quote]

Hello Dinosaur, I hear what you are saying, believe me. But....I'd say 90% of the people who use one in a lesson and see the before and after, buy one. Sure, if you are MacGyver, you can make your own and I hope you do. People blow $35 on stuff all the time and it doesn't satisfy the feeling of a solid shot:)

Oh, and you fellow golf junkies out there...Thank You!
[/quote]

Good luck with your enterprises. As long as people are willing to part with their money, and it helps them. I've seen a whole lot worse through the years. Hey, look at what Art Linkletter did with the Hula Hoop. I suppose as you say, people have found it helpful, so from that standpoint, worth it.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Martin Kaymer was just using this on the range at the Masters this morning. Apparently guys named Martin like this drill. Though he didn't seem to be holding on to it through the swing. One announcer loved it, one thought it was stupid.

EHxEtNi.png

I think that is called a "P Ball". Looks like an ordinary tennis ball to me though.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

[quote name='SullGolf' timestamp='1397403510' post='9079567']
One announcer loved it, one thought it was stupid.
[/quote]

Bobby Clampett was the guy who didn't like it.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

[quote name='carrera' timestamp='1397407478' post='9079905']
[quote name='SullGolf' timestamp='1397403510' post='9079567']
One announcer loved it, one thought it was stupid.
[/quote]

Bobby Clampett was the guy who didn't like it.
[/quote]

Bobby is a friend. Our booths were next to each other at the PGA Show and he teased me about the ball a little. I can take a ribbing with the best of them. Case in point, Kaymer, one of the best players in the World and former #1 is doing a drill with a ball like the one I sell:) Mine also goes flat to wear under either arm for connection. Tons of high level players use something similar.

Bobby is right. If you know where your low point is and have control of the sweet spot of the club, you can swing like Bubba and win the Masters. Hell, you can sign your name during your swing, like Furyk. Trouble is, most folks have know idea where the sweet spot is dynamically and need a little structure to help them deliver it to a golf ball with any reliability. My gizmo helps people do what Bobby wants them to do.

I thought Bubba was awesome today. What he did on 8 after messing up 7 turned the tide. I was rooting for Spieth. As a full time coach, now I have to explain to everyone that it is better to learn on a tricycle on the sidewalk before you start down the mountain in the Tour De France. When Daly was playing great, everyone felt like they had license to "swash buckle" away. That didn't help too many people either.

Got mine today and was messing around with it indoors. As expected. It's like the ball drill I already know I like, but no chasing it around when I drop it. As I said, I've never hit balls on the range with the ball in place because I don't want to throw it down range somehow. Keeping my arms together on the takeaway is probably the single best swing thought that I use on the course, so having something to reinforce that helps me. It probably costs less than $5 to make in China, but I'm okay paying the price because it works for me. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who would rather spend the time making their own to save $25 though.

I'm looking forward to taking it to the range, and will try to report on the session if I remember. Also, one thing that I haven't seen it advertised for is putting, but it's good to use for that too.

What works much better for me is a nerf football instead of a ball. I made one of these gadgets awhile back by taking a few feet of climbing webbing, punching through the side of a 2-color nerf football, and tying a knot to adjust length.

The oblong shape of the football gives visual feedback as to where your elbows are pointing (mostly right elbow), and the different colors of the ball on the 2 halves is an additional reference. I found with a round ball, I could chicken wing back my right elbow and still be "connected". With the football, it's obvious at 9'o clock when the bottom tip of the ball is pointed backwards something is wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='tm3' timestamp='1399802084' post='9272287']
How is this better than the Ledbetter swing link or a belt holding the arms?
[/quote]

none, but probably more consistent and easier to use. I believe it is Zach Allen that advocates using a belt. With the belt, there is no doubt what you are doing on the range, and no chance of somebody thinking you have an eccentric taste in jewelry.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1397137825' post='9060949']
[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1397109544' post='9059805']
Martin, please email me. Your PM is full.

[email protected]
[/quote]

Done. Talk to you soon.
[/quote]

My two favorite golf professionals.... Both of them simplify the swing and instruction... The golf horsepower here is awesome...

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1399824023' post='9273425']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1397137825' post='9060949']
[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1397109544' post='9059805']
Martin, please email me. Your PM is full.

[email protected]
[/quote]

Done. Talk to you soon.
[/quote]

My two favorite golf professionals.... Both of them simplify the swing and instruction... The golf horsepower here is awesome...
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

[quote name='stevw' timestamp='1399823357' post='9273367']
That's slightly bigger than the Smart Ball from what I can tell. Should I be looking to keep the SB between my forearms throughout the entire swing, or is is made more for 9/3 swings?
[/quote]

Depends. I have some really flexible, highly skilled players who can wear the SB and hit full shots like it isn't even on them. With less flexible folks who don't know how to extend their body as they turn, I'd be happy to get a 9 to 3 swing. Heck, I'd take a short pitch shot:)