The i25 Irons Moderator Review -- Ping's Second Shot at Second Shot Clubs

Asleep

Ping's Second Shot at Second Shot Clubs -- The i25 Irons Moderator Review

Bobby Jones set out to design and build a “second shot” golf course with renowned architect Alister Mackenzie in the 1930s, drawing inspiration from Saint Andrews Links in Scotland that had stood the test of time for hundreds of years. When your invitation to play the most storied and challenging second shot golf course in the U.S. arrives -- Augusta National, which "second shot" clubs should be in your bag???

I like to get a lot of rounds in with new irons before I finalize my reviews. I'm more and more a creature of habit, and it takes me a lot of time to wean off my old comfortable set to allow for a fair assessment of the new. It's a function of how I attack the game of golf -- remove as many variables as possible to maximize consistency. I hate changing balls... hate having the idea pop into my head that maybe my regular ball wouldn't have spun so much or would've rolled out more... hate it. Hate doubt in golf -- doubt costs me strokes. So I was excited to get my hands on Ping's new i25 irons, but knew it would take time to get my persnickety lies angles just right (3* flat/brown) and to readjust to my new yardages. An early fair weather start was slowed markedly by bad weather and/or bad timing -- sunny during work, rainy on the weekends. C'mon, man!

The i25s are the next generation of Ping's very well received i20 irons. Everyone remembers Angel Cabrera pulling an i20 3 iron out of his bag at the 495 yard 10th hole in the 2013 Masters playoff and smoking it off the tee past Adam Scott's 3-wood: Cabera's tee shot on the 10th at the 2013 Masters. He absolutely "clouted that", Sir Nick exclaimed.

The i20s marked the beginning of a strong run of success by Ping Golf, so the idea then is to just give the i20s a cosmetic makeover and push them out to the public as "new", right? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Well, yes and no...

Ping's design team set out to make them better... Want more consistent distance control? How about higher launching, without higher spinning, long irons? Then how about more forgiving? And more workable. Wait, wut? :nono: You can't increase forgiveness and workability... or can you? JC-thinking.gif

Houston Country Club's Par 3 14th hole was playing 197 yards across the ravine into the slightly uphill green according to my rangefinder. The dusk air was cool but not blowing. I pulled the i25 4-iron, added some spine tilt, and the result was a high arching ball that stopped light-footedly ~ 15 feet below the hole...

I have three nephews all out of school and starting lives and taking up "businessman's" golf. It's a blast to get out on the course with them and their father. The two nephews with us that day shot me a quick side-eye 190193.png before jumping into their cart. Love getting those looks :lol: Golf is a great equalizer. And although I've long since divorced myself from the idea of a "favorite" iron, this i25 4-iron is money. smileys-money-114847.gif

My first rounds with the i25s were accompianied by poor setups and rusty swing mechanics that resulted in some, ahem, bottom groove shots. What I noticed while stinking-up-the-place was the frame of the i25s is very study and held those shots on line to or through the green, depending on how low I made contact. On the par 5 13th at Memorial Park Golf Course I thinned a 3-iron out of the sparse left rough that held it's line dead straight well past my intended layup distance 260 some odd yards over the green. Again, I felt the structural sturdiness of the frame keep my ball on line and moving out there. Much less of a clang! & twist on these mishits, a notably more solid feel and outcome. Now let's try to find the club face... :black eye:

Like the i20s, the i25s are a blended set with compact heel-to-toe dimensions and minimal offset in the shortest irons that allows for ultimate control moving out to a longer dimension and added offset in the longest irons for added forgiveness and launch. The 6th hole at Memorial Park is a short par 4 that requires a layup off the tee unless you want to risk water that cuts well into the majority of the fairway. I pulled my new not-favorite-club-but-would-be-if-I-had-one 4-iron and found the center of the face for a towering (for me) tee shot that came to rest 228 yards from the tee with the help of a firm fairway. My buddy Tom let out a "Wow!" after that strike, which felt like buttah and flew like Boeing. place-3596.gif

My new not-favorite-club-but-would-be-if-I-had-one 4-iron

Sound and feel of the i25s is a bit improved over the i20s overall, and nicely better on pured shots. I'm able to more easily discern where on the club I'm making contact, and with center strikes it all disappears into that Ahhhh! nothingness feeling we all yearn for.

My yardages increased about 3 yards at the PW up to 6+ yards in the longer irons going from the i20s to the i25s, with the aforementioned higher ballflight in the longer irons. My distance spacing improved with the longer irons and did not deteriorate with the shorter irons -- so no "hot face flyers" at all through 15+ rounds, which matters most to me. While pulling PW from 150 yards sounds fun and all, I have zero interest in giving up one yard of distance precision because an iron's "trampoline" face yields variable results. Zero. Thanks to improved face stabilization bars it is not a problem here, so no worries.

My gamer irons are Ping Anser Forged with C-Taper shafts in them -- expensive, but worth it in my opinion. After too much back-and-forth I decided to order the i25s with the same C-Taper shafts to get a truer comparison. But comparing this set to the set I demo'd at Ping with the CFS shafts I have to say I personally prefer Ping's CFS shafts in the i25s -- which was what I had in the i20s. The CFS give me optimal spin across the set with the i25s, while the CTapers are better for the Anser Forged. Your mileage may vary.

Okay, so how do we get to increased forgiveness and increased workability compared to the i20s? Strategic design decisions -- moving some weight around -- increased the MOI slightly over the i20s, simple enough. Ping independantly decreased the MOI-around-the-hosel-axis which allows for a bit more workability. Now to be honest while it's good to know I'm getting this extra help, I can't say I can tell the difference outside of having the impression of being able to achieve my desired 3 yard cut that stayed straight with the older set. Check that... my new not-favorite-club-but-would-be-if-I-had-one 4-iron feels like I flat can't miss the sweetspot with it.

Trajectory control is certainly improved. I can hit any of these irons high or low, whereas before high long iron shots were more challenging.

What about the diggers and sweepers out there? Diggers get an improved sole grind that gets through Earth's mantle more easily than the i20s. This was readily noticeable to me when I was setting up too much on my left side and coming in steep early on in the review process. Video resolved that eventually, but the i25s handled it well.

If you're a sweeper who tends to early release you might request Ping to put a heel grind or back grind or bounce grind on your set to suit your needs and playing conditions. Sweepers/early-releasers should consider the i25s as they perform admirably with low face strikes.

In my piece on Ping's Play Your Best philosophy I left you hanging with the question, What's in Ping Chief Designer Marty Jertson's bag for 2014? Well, I can tell you Marty will be hitting his second shots with the Ping i25 irons if he again qualifies for the PGA Championship, or had he been tabbed for the 2014 Masters. That's a move from the G25s he designed, and a pretty good endorsement.

As for me, I'm torn between my Anser Forged and the i25s as to which to set I'd have in the bag at Augusta National Golf Club. Considering the sneaky and variable winds, the crowd and cameras all around me, and the ultimate second shot golf course with tiny optimal landing zones on those greens... aww, heck man, I'm taking all the forgiveness I can get while preserving shotmaking capabilities. The i25s at the Masters. Wish me luck. luck.gif

full disclosure: Ping provided the set for review

My game: I play off a ~5 hdcp., pull 8-iron when I have a 150 yard shot, and last checked I was ~100 mph driver swingspeed with ~260 carry which honestly is on the high side of my reality as I'm more of a 245 yard carry guy.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great review
personal assessment, explained some of how the tech works in the irons and it wasn't a "wow i hit this in the sim and it was awesome, so i bought them"

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

Great review! I'm still trying to get my i25's dialed in but so far, I really like the looks, feel and forgiveness these irons offer.

TSR3 8 Tour AD UB 6

TSR2+ 14.5 Tour AD CQ 7

TSR2 21 Tour AD DI 85

U505 4 Tour AD DI 95

T200 5-6 Steelfiber i110

T150 7-GW Steelfiber i110
Vokey SM10 54F/60M Steelfiber i110
Scotty Cameron Champions Choice BB Newport +

-Pro V1x

Nice read. Thank you.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Great review, Todd. Your writeups always tend to be thoroughly enjoyable reads, and this one is no different. I do think you might be exaggerating the possibility of your playing in the Master's, but then most people tend to exaggerate in a review at least once. :tongue:

I look forward to a U.S. Open/Cabrera-themed review of the woods in June. :lol:

:hi:

Great review, but not what I need to read... I nearly pulled the trigger on the i20's last winter, but ultimately went with G25 irons for the added forgiveness. I love my G25's and i20 hybrids. But have been kicking around the idea of going all i25's hybrids (love that they now have a 26* hybrid) and irons through wedge, possibly even u wedge. Just when i convince myself my clubs are perfect for me, something like this post gets me thinking about tinkering. If the i25's are more forgiving than the i20's, then i might have to try them out.

Ping G410 plus Tour65 S
PING G410 3w Tour 75 S
PING G410 hybrids: 18*, 22* & 26* TENSEI PRO BLUE 80 GR S
[PING G410 irons: 6 - U Nippon MODUS³ Tour 105
PING Glide 3.0 Wedges: 54* SS, & 60* SS

Scott Cameron Fastback 2.0
Member of TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

Great review! I am still in nirvana over my i25 4 iron from 178 yards to a tight water and bunker guarded green two rounds ago. The ball flight and sensation in my hands is burned into my brain. Well struck shots give a unique and spectacular sensation that I have never felt in an iron before. It's not a buttery Mizuno feel but a refined click that I have never felt in an iron before. Well done PING....well done.

PING G410 LST 9° Ping Tour 65 S

PING Tisi Tec 14° Fairway Aldila 350 S

Cobra Aerojet Hybrid 19° KBS PGI S

PING iCrossover 22° Ping Tour 85 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Pro 5-G DG 105 S

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52° DG Spinner 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 58° DG Spinner 115

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5

great review

Thanks, appreciate it.

Enjoyed the review; currently play I20s with Steelfibers.

I've got to try those SteelFiber shafts sometime.

I do think you might be exaggerating the possibility of your playing in the Master's, but then most people tend to exaggerate in a review at least once. :tongue:

Buzzcrusher. pop.gif

I think the CFS are highly underrated shafts.

They work well with these i25s, no doubt.

Great review! I am still in nirvana over my i25 4 iron from 178 yards to a tight water and bunker guarded green two rounds ago. The ball flight and sensation in my hands is burned into my brain...

I know! What is it about these i25 long irons? Something special going on there.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

...But have been kicking around the idea of going all i25's hybrids (love that they now have a 26* hybrid) and irons through wedge, possibly even u wedge.

I've got more than a few things to say about the i25 hybrids in my upcoming woods review. dootdoot.gif

Fantastic review. I will say, although Im in love with my irons, I definitely thought the i20s were a bit overhyped but still solid irons. Im glad to see Ping made some changes in the long irons and feel of the clubs.

Thanks for the review

Taylormade M5 Tour 9* AD-VR 6
Callaway Steelhead XR 16* Ahina 60X
Tour Edge EXS220 18* Ventus
Adams MB2 RAW 5-PW Smoke KBS Tour 120
MD4 Raw 50/58/62 
Piretti Cortino 2

Comparison pictures of Ping i25, i20(middle), and Anser Forged(no number on face/white paintfill) irons...

[attachment=2169151:015crop.jpg]
[attachment=2169143:013crop.jpg]
[attachment=2169149:019cr.jpg]
[attachment=2169147:014.JPG]

[b]"If you're a sweeper who tends to early release you might, as with the i20s, request Ping to put a [url="http://www.ping.com/uploadedfiles/clubs/customize/ping_custom_options.pdf"][i]heel grind[/i][/url] or [url="http://www.ping.com/uploadedfiles/clubs/customize/ping_custom_options.pdf"][i]back grind[/i][/url] or [url="http://www.ping.com/uploadedfiles/clubs/customize/ping_custom_options.pdf"][i]bounce grind[/i][/url] on your set to suit your needs and playing conditions. Sweepers/early-releasers should consider the i25s as they perform admirably with low face strikes."[/b]

[b]Would you elaborate on this quote from your review? I play firm, thin fairways (Central Texas). I take shallow, if any, divots and suffered with an incurable slightly early release for 50 years.[/b]

Todd, thanks for the great review! How about this weather here in Houston recently? Perfect! I'm strongly considering an i25/S55 combo set (3-5, 6-P). Love the look and feel of these - first time I've ever wanted to get new irons.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD DS72 34.5"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1397163385' post='9063557']
If you wouldn't mind, please call my wife. She has expressed an interest in speaking with you. Thanks.
[/quote]

Shoes. Let her get the shoes, then you get the golf clubs. Fundamentals of ho'ing clubs. :pimp:
[quote name='3eagles18' timestamp='1397164131' post='9063631']
"If you're a sweeper who tends to early release you might, <deleted>, request Ping to put a [url="http://www.ping.com/uploadedfiles/clubs/customize/ping_custom_options.pdf"][i]heel grind[/i][/url] or [url="http://www.ping.com/uploadedfiles/clubs/customize/ping_custom_options.pdf"][i]back grind[/i][/url] or [url="http://www.ping.com/uploadedfiles/clubs/customize/ping_custom_options.pdf"][i]bounce grind[/i][/url] on your set to suit your needs and playing conditions. Sweepers/early-releasers should consider the i25s as they perform admirably with low face strikes."

Would you elaborate on this quote from your review? I play firm, thin fairways (Central Texas). I take shallow, if any, divots and suffered with an incurable slightly early release for 50 years.
[/quote]

There is a common belief amongst a percentage of "pickers" - versus diggers -- that they don't want any "junk in the trunk" on their irons. That a low offset, narrow sole blade type iron is the [i]only[/i] one that works. But if you're a sweeper/picker who does so with an early release -- no forward shaft lean at impact -- where you might be sweeping the ground a bit before the strike, I think you can benefit from the increased forgiveness of an i25 iron but you may need one of those custom grinds to adjust soles to your swing & conditions.

The i25s nicely forgive lower face strikes... why not avail yourself of that help by getting fitted and possibly a custom grind?

Part about i20s was misplaced, edited.

[quote name='pdaero' timestamp='1397189042' post='9066303']I'm strongly considering an i25/S55 combo set (3-5, 6-P). Love the look and feel of these - first time I've ever wanted to get new irons.[/quote]

May be THE killer combo set. The S55s are wonderful irons. Love 'em.

Nice write up thanks. I thought I was good with the i20s and haven't planned on checking out the i25 but now you have me doubting again. I hit one i25 7iron with a CFS S flex and wasn't crazy about it but I may have to rethink. The thing I like best about the i20 is the long irons and it sounds like they may have improved them even more. I think the 3 and 4 i20 irons are just awesome and simple to hit, they are the reason I went with the i20 over the S56 in the first place.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Great review. I might give the i25s a try. The i20s and I just didn't get along. I hit the Ansers better than the i20s. But my wife would kill me if I every bought a set of Ansers.

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, 48*, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

• 2 months later...

Anyone tried the good old ZZ65 shaft in these? Played them in the i5s and i15s and always enjoyed them a lot. Thinking of getting the i25 with them as well.

Yamaha V202 Tour - Tour AD BB-7
Yamaha v FW 14° - Tour AD BB-7
Yamaha IFF 19° - Tour AD DI-7
Epon Personal 3-P - DG Pro
Yamaha Inpres X 52° 58° - DG Spinner
Golds Factory SUS 303 custom
WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies, I thought I was subscribed to this topic. :pardon:

[quote name='JanKo ' timestamp='1403434406' post='9550103']
Anyone tried the good old ZZ65 shaft in these? Played them in the i5s and i15s and always enjoyed them a lot. Thinking of getting the i25 with them as well.
[/quote]

Have not but think they'd be a good fit if you're familiar with them.

[quote name='Timanator' timestamp='1403439805' post='9550245']
Thanks for the review Asleep, Another Houstonian here.

Was wondering, what shafts did you use in your previous irons, and do you find the CFS to go higher or lower in comparison?
[/quote]

CFS in i20s, CTapers in Anser Forged.

I think the CFS compliment the i25s better.

Great review, I agree about that 4-iron, it's become one of my favorite in my bag, I often use it as a driving iron on tight par 4's, it's very easy to hit and hit long!

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite