New iGolf Neo Model

Greetings,

My name is Mike Cecchin and I am posting on behalf of L1 Technologies, iGolf Division. It was brought to our attention a few weeks ago by members of this forum that they had encountered both a checksum and custom point name error on their iGolf Neo. It appears that these errors occur in only a select number of units. We have been working diligently to understand and resolve the problem. Although it is still in BETA release, we have developed an update for the internal software that should eliminate these errors. I would like to invite any iGolf Neo customer experiencing either of these issues and would like to BETA test the software update, to either email or call me directly to obtain the information needed to load the update onto your device. I can be reached Monday -Friday 9AM - 6PM PST at 858-300-5513 ext. 2395 or via email at [email protected]. If you do call after business hours or while I am on another call, I encourage you to leave a message with your full name, telephone number where you can be reached during business hours, as well as, the best time to reach you.

Sincerely,

Mike Cecchin

L1 Technologies

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, if that problem is fixed I am in for a Neo! Been holding off until I know its fixed.

PXG 0211 Driver  Tensei 1K Pro White X-stiff

PXG 0311 GEN5   3 Wood 1K Pro White X-stiff

PXG 0311 XF 22* hybrid Tensei AV Raw White 75 XStiff

Srixon Z585 6 thru P KBS C-taper S+

Three Luck Sky Dream Jump Limited Forged 115  48*  True Temper Dynamic Tour Issue Onyx

Three Luck Sky Dream Jump Limited Forged 115  52*  True Temper Dynamic Tour Issue Onyx

Kyoei KK RRC 56* wedge True Temper Dynamic Tour Issue Onyx

Vega VW-06 brushed 60* FST KBS Tour 105

Piretti Elite Black Cortino  KBS CT Tour Putter shaft  

Guys, I updated my Neo with Mike last night over the phone. The process has quite a few steps, so I think they are working on a more automatic solution that they will be able to post on the website. But if you need the patch, call Mike!

Anyway, it is working 100% right now. So far, so good. I went and bought a nice leather blackberry case that fits the Neo pretty well. There was also a body glove case that had a clear window in the front that would be perfect.

[quote name='neverhadaholeinone' post='875959' date='Jan 22 2008, 12:18 AM']looking to get a gps, was considering the neo till I read of the internal battery. Will leave this one and go with one I can replace batteries on the fly.[/quote]
That was an issue for me as well, but I quickly got over it. The battery lasts for several rounds without recharging, and it uses the standard USB chargers. That means I can charge it off any computer, or either of my cell phone chargers sitting around the house. The unit is so tight, and compact it just feels solid. I think a removable battery compartment would have taken away from this.

SteveStrike and others - excellent postings!

I just got my Neo two days ago (ordered on Monday evening, at the house on Wednesday!!!) and played my first round with it today. Downloading the files and installing them on the device was very easy.

I echo everything said prior to this - also, I experienced the corruption issue myself.

The unit is solid, except for the "belt" clip. But I kept it in my pocket most of the time with no problems. Distances seemed to be pretty much right on. My course has three nine-hole courses so I put all three in and activated each as needed.

On the 5th hole, I added my first custom point, distance to water on the right. Very easy to do, only took about 30 seconds. It appears that you can add two custom points per hole. Usually there were four others already inserted.

A hole or so later, I noticed that the labels were getting corrupted. I could pretty much figure out which hazard/feature was being referenced, but it was starting to look bad. I powered off and on, but it was no better. The F/C/B numbers were still ok - it was just the other distances that were corrupted.

After the round, I looked at the course list on the NEO and noticed that one of the course names itself was corrupted (?!). Not sure whats up with that.

I really like the unit - the corruption did not really bother me or affect the usefullness of the unit; I was more worried that there was might be more to come that would make it unusable. Thankfully, that did not happen.

So, based on the previous postings, and especially the response by Mr. Cecchin, I will be e-mailing L1 to see if I can get the update. I am going to Georgia to play golf Thursday-Saturday, and want to make sure this wonderful device is ready to go!

• 2 weeks later...
looking to get a gps, was considering the neo till I read of the internal battery. Will leave this one and go with one I can replace batteries on the fly.

That was an issue for me as well, but I quickly got over it. The battery lasts for several rounds without recharging, and it uses the standard USB chargers.

Do you know what type of battery it is and if it is replacabale with one of those common lithium computer batteries or does it have to go back to IGolf once fully depeted? THat could be very expensive. :partytime2:

Corruption issue has been fixed. I am going to edit my original post to reflect this so no one else gets confused.

To those with a battery question: The unit is tightly sealed, and although there seems to be a small screw underenath the serial # sticker on the back, there is no other way to open the case. I haven't pealed back my sticker, as it might void the warranty. You could email them and ask the question, and if you get an answer please post back!

On another note, iGolf emailed me yesterday to tell me that they updated the Filemaker software to be compatible with the Neo. I tested it, and it seems to work fine now.

I found a pretty nice belt holster for the Neo recently. It is a Body Glove Mesh II Universal. ($20 online or at a local electronics retailer)

It fits the Neo like a glove. They might as well call it the "Neo Holster II"

It has a swivel belt clip, and fits the Neo snuggly enough that you don't have to worry about it coming out by accident, but it's easy to get out when needed. It has a window so you can read it without removing it, but you have to remove it to use the buttons anyway.

I found a pretty nice belt holster for the Neo recently. It is a Body Glove Mesh II Universal. ($20 online or at a local electronics retailer)

It fits the Neo like a glove. They might as well call it the "Neo Holster II"

It has a swivel belt clip, and fits the Neo snuggly enough that you don't have to worry about it coming out by accident, but it's easy to get out when needed. It has a window so you can read it without removing it, but you have to remove it to use the buttons anyway.

I had a really nice swivel belt holster for my cel phone. I'm physically not overweight. I bent over one day to pick something up and it created enough "upward" pressure to shove the holster out of my belt and it fell off. Trouble was that I was on my boat the time and my phone now "sleeps with the fishes." Something to watch out for as playing golf we frequently bend over to pick balls up.

Does the Neo have anything like the intelligreen feature from the SkyCaddies? It sounds like the points ares imply waypoints and there is no intelligence to the approach angles.

For those of you who have compared SkyCaddies and Neos... does intelligreen justify an additional $100?

Does the Neo have anything like the intelligreen feature from the SkyCaddies? It sounds like the points ares imply waypoints and there is no intelligence to the approach angles.

For those of you who have compared SkyCaddies and Neos... does intelligreen justify an additional $100?

No, there is no such feature on the Neo. Does the intelligreen feature justify the cost difference? I think so, but let's say you plan to keep the unit for the next two years, until something much cooler comes out.

1. Neo $150 + 1 year subscription $35 = $185. Use the same courses you download for both years (up to 100 total, stored on your hard drive)

2. SG2.5 $260 + $10 to extend the warranty to 1 year (like the Neo) 1 year subscription $30 state-only (or $50 for National like Neo) + 2nd year $30 = $330

So really there is a $145-185 difference, more if you keep the unit longer than 3 years. What it all boils down to is the SG2.5 is twice the cost of the Neo. Keep in mind that the SkyCaddie stuff is worthless without paying the subscription so just factor that in for however long you plan on owning the unit.

All that being said, the intelligreen feature is VERY cool, and helps you get a much more precise reading "to the flag" vs. to the F/B/C of the green.

To be honest, I'm typically going for the middle of the green due to my skill level (or lack thereof). The coolness factor of the intelligreen seems like it would only be worth it for the times that I'm way left or way right of the green. Even then... middle seems very reasonable.

Thanks for the reply. You basically confirmed what I was thinking... but with sound math! ;)

Anyone else have an opinion?

To be honest, I'm typically going for the middle of the green due to my skill level (or lack thereof). The coolness factor of the intelligreen seems like it would only be worth it for the times that I'm way left or way right of the green. Even then... middle seems very reasonable.
I'm the same way. I've found that I can get the info I need based on the F/B/C yardages. For example, if the pin in in the front, I'll take the difference between the center and front yardages. If the pin is in the back, I'll use the center & back to get my number. This works pretty well for me.

Here's what I've found to be true. If you are far enough off line to need the intelligreen, you are often too far away to need a super-precise number. For example, it doesn't help me to know that I am 163 vs. 166 yards to the edge of the green. It's really the same shot for me--aim for the middle of the green.

But if I'm close enough to aim for a specific part of the green, I'm usually close enough that the GPS doesn't matter. I still use feel for shots inside 100 yards. The GPS telling me the difference between 42 and 47 yards doesn't help me here either.

I'm the same way. I've found that I can get the info I need based on the F/B/C yardages. For example, if the pin in in the front, I'll take the difference between the center and front yardages. If the pin is in the back, I'll use the center & back to get my number. This works pretty well for me.

Here's what I've found to be true. If you are far enough off line to need the intelligreen, you are often too far away to need a super-precise number. For example, it doesn't help me to know that I am 163 vs. 166 yards to the edge of the green. It's really the same shot for me--aim for the middle of the green.

But if I'm close enough to aim for a specific part of the green, I'm usually close enough that the GPS doesn't matter. I still use feel for shots inside 100 yards. The GPS telling me the difference between 42 and 47 yards doesn't help me here either.

+1

I aim for the left or right side of the flag. I use the Neo to be as pin high as possible. On a separate note, I found some of the courses I've downloaded to have 1 ot 2 holes that were way off. For example center off the green says 170 but front says 154 and backs says 172. I remapped a bunch of holes and pretty satisfied wih the Neo's performance.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Neo... and I love the idea of being able to adjust points if they are off, and adding my own points. I also really like the idea of downloading 100 courses and not having to get a subscription every year. Intelligreen is pretty darn cool, but reality is... with three points I can figure out enough to place my ball in the appropriate part of the green... on most greens I am aiming for left front, right back, etc.... unless I have a wedge or short iron in my hand, and in those cases neither unit is going to give me exact yardage to the pin. And, yes... most often we are approaching a green from the front... on or near the fairway... so it is a somewhat unecessary. But, when the green has an odd shape or bunker guarding a part... it can be helpuful... but you can just add these as custom points on the Neo.

-my 2 cents

But, when the green has an odd shape or bunker guarding a part... it can be helpuful... but you can just add these as custom points on the Neo

That's exactly what I have done. Say on a par3 with an "L" shaped green. You can add custom points for "Back Right" and "Back Left" and "Front Left" and "Front Right" These are in addition to the F/B/C that you get on every hole.

At first, I thought that the limitation of 4 custom points per hole might be a problem, but as I use the Neo, I realize that it's plenty for most courses and holes. I just want to know how far to the biggies--End of fairways, water hazards, how far to cross a creek, etc... There aren't usually more than four of these type of features on the courses I play.

so am I understanding the general concesus is that the Neo would be a prefered choice over the Guru?I read in one post about the cost difference between the neo and Sky caddie but in the price war between Guru and Neo the price difference is much closer 150+35 per year for say 2 years is 220 for Neo to 210 with no subscription til 2011.So for ten bucks difference which way to go?

"For me, it's between the Skycaddie 2.5 and Guru. If and when the Guru gets an update to edit points, that will be my device"

Have you considered the GPSCaddie II from iGolf? it gives you the editable points you're looking for and also has all other features that SG features (less the smart green feature) plus you own the courses after you download them.

I've had the NEO for about 3 weeks now & I love it, perfect size fits right in your pocket. My buddy has the SG5 which is sweet but for the last 3 weeks it's been cart path only & when he walks to the ball he has to lay his SG5 on the ground (on a towel of course), mine you just put in your pocket. It picks up great, never lost a signal yet & seems to be very accurate.

I thought I was going to really like the Neo, but on the course was a different story. The size and reception is great but I just don't like the execution.

For me, it's between the Skycaddie 2.5 and Guru. If and when the Guru gets an update to edit points, that will be my device.

According to the company the guru will have the option to add points by month's end.

Update on my Neo corruption problem - fixed. Played the same course this past weekend, and added the same custom point that seemed to cause the previous problem.

And iGolf customer service is excellent. Sent it out on a Wednesday, got replacement back Monday. Mike at iGolf responded to my e-mails quickly, and at the end, we had a good discussion about the issues I was having.

I think for the $$$ this one is hard to beat, especially with their course download policies. Playing with this is much faster than looking for markers and sprinkler heads. One of my friends has an original Skycaddie, and I think this is better than it in terms of usability.

So, I am one very happy customer right now (except when I used it to measure my *actual* driving distance..... quite humbling).

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a picture of the Neo and/or Caddie II in the plam of the hand?

Is the only difference between the two is the Neo 4 custom points to the Caddies II 8 custom points?

Is the Neo waterproof?

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

Just got the neo off ebay for $139.95 + free shipping. I think I got a pretty good deal.

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

Corruption problem resolved and the unit is an absolute joy to play with. Have used 5-6 times now after fix on a number of different courses. The ability to walk a course and pull out the Neo from your pocket and find accuate distances really adds to the golfing experience and yes it does save strokes! If the course you play or plan to play is in the Igolf database I recommend this with no reservation.

If on the other hand your desired course is not in the database tread carefully. Granted you can always map the course yourself but my experience of asking IGolf to map a course has been very poor. Their basic response was we'll get to it when we get to it. The support site gives the impression that a mapping request will take a few days. This is bogus. Igolf has been non commital as to when my request will be completed and have not responded to my email questions from 2 weeks ago.

This does not take away from the unit itself but be careful if you anticipate asking Igolf to add courses. You may be disappointed by their delay in responding.