Connection vs Extension in Followthrough

2»

Comments

• tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned  20715WRX Points: 1Handicap: BeefPosts: 20,715 Titanium Tees
    Not a bad swing there! Crazy how hyper-extended tiger's knee looks when they flip it to left-handed. OUCH!
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ej002ej002 Unregistered  5129WRX Points: 3Posts: 5,129 Titanium Tees
    yeah he looks jammed up, a few set up changes and he could free flow it for sure.
    Posted:
  • HsteadHstead Members  6347WRX Points: 197Posts: 6,347 Titanium Tees
    Really cool videos. Notice in the one video when you stop Jr at impact his left arm is almost straight, nothing at all like his baseball swing for the same reasons. His shoulders are about square, hips slightly open, where in baseball everything is going to be facing the pitcher, hips and shoulders, and left arm will be super bent, especially on an inside pitch he is going to turn on.

Hey KG, now it is the Cincy Flames. Not sure if you have small kids, but the Flames are really good. My sons team has ran up against them and at the 12U level they are the team to beat. We drill Midland now. I heard at 18U though Midland is still the team to beat. My son got to play against a couple of Reds sons too on the Flames which was neat for him.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5 Graphite Design BB 70X
    Callaway Epic Subzero 15* Diamana D+
    Titleist 818 H1
    Mizuno 919 Tour 6-P, 5 Forged, 4 Hot Metal KBS Tour X
    Titleist TVD 56* and 60* V Grind S400
    Edel
    Snell
  • kellygreenkellygreen Members  6413WRX Points: 3Posts: 6,413 Titanium Tees
    Hstead wrote:

Really cool videos. Notice in the one video when you stop Jr at impact his left arm is almost straight, nothing at all like his baseball swing for the same reasons. His shoulders are about square, hips slightly open, where in baseball everything is going to be facing the pitcher, hips and shoulders, and left arm will be super bent, especially on an inside pitch he is going to turn on.

Hey KG, now it is the Cincy Flames. Not sure if you have small kids, but the Flames are really good. My sons team has ran up against them and at the 12U level they are the team to beat. We drill Midland now. I heard at 18U though Midland is still the team to beat. My son got to play against a couple of Reds sons too on the Flames which was neat for him.

The motions are similar...they are not the same. You'll also find differences between a golf swing and a hockey slapshot. But hockey players are notorious for being able to quickly adapt to golf, and are able to get quite good. I suspect that we'll see a similar situation with baseball position players and golf, as the teaching the body-rotation swing becomes more common place.

Time marches on. In high school football, Moeller was practically a football dynasty when I was growing up. I heard the mantle got shifted to Colerain and Princeton for awhile. But glad to hear about your son. It's good experience no matter what, or how far he chooses to go in the game. It will give him the confidence to take on other high-level challenges.
    Posted:
    PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
    Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
    Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
    Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
    Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
    Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"
  • tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned  20715WRX Points: 1Handicap: BeefPosts: 20,715 Titanium Tees
    Love the baseball talk!
    Posted:
  • chrisgilly09chrisgilly09 Members  1564WRX Points: 101Posts: 1,564 Platinum Tees
    If I remember correctly, it was Joe Cooper who ran Midland...can't be 100% on the name...anyway I heard that guy was worth like $300 million

*Scratch that, he ran AABC, bloody **** what was that guys name?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • kellygreenkellygreen Members  6413WRX Points: 3Posts: 6,413 Titanium Tees

If I remember correctly, it was Joe Cooper who ran Midland...can't be 100% on the name...anyway I heard that guy was worth like $300 million

*Scratch that, he ran AABC, bloody **** what was that guys name?

Don't quote me, but the name sounds familiar.
    Posted:
    PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
    Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
    Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
    Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
    Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
    Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"
  • TexsportTexsport Members  2348WRX Points: 147Posts: 2,348 Platinum Tees
    This is the same discussion I had with Slicefixer on WRX 9-10 years ago.

We were debating the most efficient application of connection, which we both agreed on.

My contention, coming from a baseball background was that the weight transfer was more lateral than rotary.

I used George Brett and an infielder's side arm throwing motion. The throwing motion is more similar to the proper connected golf motion because it incorporates a core driven motion with relaxed arms.

He cited Barry Bonds use of rotary turn power generation.

We generally agreed that either method would work, but power was the question.

I finally agreed that lower body rotation was an easier way to add power.

Tiger Woods evolvement away from a connected right elbow/right hip downswing is the primary cause of his loss of accuracy and some distance over the years. Flipping/throwing the hands thru impact is impossible to time for maximum accuracy. With a stable right side, no flipping is used, and the club face stays square much more reliably.

Texsport
    Posted:
    Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
    Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
    Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
    Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
    MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
    Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
    Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
    The Cure CX2 putter
    Texsport wrote:

This is the same discussion I had with Slicefixer on WRX 9-10 years ago.

We were debating the most efficient application of connection, which we both agreed on.

My contention, coming from a baseball background was that the weight transfer was more lateral than rotary.

I used George Brett and an infielder's side arm throwing motion. The throwing motion is more similar to the proper connected golf motion because it incorporates a core driven motion with relaxed arms.

He cited Barry Bonds use of rotary turn power generation.

We generally agreed that either method would work, but power was the question.

I finally agreed that lower body rotation was an easier way to add power.

Tiger Woods evolvement away from a connected right elbow/right hip downswing is the primary cause of his loss of accuracy and some distance over the years. Flipping/throwing the hands thru impact is impossible to time for maximum accuracy. With a stable right side, no flipping is used, and the club face stays square much more reliably.

Texsport

great post sir! Always nice to hear stories about slice!
    Posted:
  • TexsportTexsport Members  2348WRX Points: 147Posts: 2,348 Platinum Tees
    Geoff was very helpful and encouraging in helping to improve my action.

He was a Jimmy Ballard student when he was a playing professional.

After our discussions and other communications, in 2005, he suggested two backswing things he thought would be useful:

(1) Stabilize the floating right pivot point and create a little more rotation by pulling the right rear pocket straight behind me.

(2) If that didn't do it, I might need to add a little clockwise left arm rotation on the backswing.

Well, the first two swings with #1 went left, but #3,4,5,6,7,8......... We're striped.

I didn't try #2 much because I think Iauto corrected myself unconsciously.

I called him and left a message of thanks.

His message in return is quoted below.....

"FANTISTIC! I knew one or both would really help you......you experienced exactly what I did 15 years ago, and my only real problems with Ballard's method.........just make a couple of corrections to his standard method....set up better....stabilize the floating right pivot point, and wallah.....you can really hit it.......keep working on it......it'll just get better."

Geoff
    Posted:
    Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
    Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
    Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
    Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
    MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
    Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
    Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
    The Cure CX2 putter
    Texsport wrote:

Geoff was very helpful and encouraging in helping to improve my action.

He was a Jimmy Ballard student when he was a playing professional.

After our discussions and other communications, in 2005, he suggested two backswing things he thought would be useful:

(1) Stabilize the floating right pivot point and create a little more rotation by pulling the right rear pocket straight behind me.

(2) If that didn't do it, I might need to add a little clockwise left arm rotation on the backswing.

Well, the first two swings with #1 went left, but #3,4,5,6,7,8......... We're striped.

I didn't try #2 much because I think Iauto corrected myself unconsciously.

I called him and left a message of thanks.

His message in return is quoted below.....

"FANTISTIC! I knew one or both would really help you......you experienced exactly what I did 15 years ago, and my only real problems with Ballard's method.........just make a couple of corrections to his standard method....set up better....stabilize the floating right pivot point, and wallah.....you can really hit it.......keep working on it......it'll just get better."

Geoff

That's really good stuff sir.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.