[b]In the Adams "War Room":[/b][list]
[*]SR Director R&D: Justin Honea
[*]Engineering Manager, Hybrids & Irons: Justin Girard
[*]Design Engineer, Metalwoods: Alex Berger
[*]SVP Marketing: Scott Blevins
[*]Director Global Product Marketing: Michael Fox
[*]SR Director Marketing: Jeff Wood
[/list]
Hello GolfWRXers and thank you all for this opportunity and for all the questions we have already received. We're in our "Communications Center" ready to answer all of your questions. Send them our way about anything Adams. We've got a lot of great things happening around our products and brand and are excited to share it all with you. Let's make this happen!!

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#282828]Any truth Adams was/is thinking about doing some sort of MOI matching/fitting for their irons? I think this would be a great way to differentiate yourself if you even offered the option. [/color]

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

I've read the the goal of your R&D is to get ahead of the times, and make quality tour level clubs (some of your clubs are on tour long before they ever see retail). Are you guys solely focused on getting your clubs in the bags of tour players, with the hopes that it's success will trickle down to the public for sales? Or are you starting to look more into fitting a variety of types of players (with your different options and styles in hybrids, driving irons, etc)?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1398272595' post='9152165']
[color=#282828]Any truth Adams was/is thinking about doing some sort of MOI matching/fitting for their irons? I think this would be a great way to differentiate yourself if you even offered the option. [/color]
[/quote]

This is a great and interesting point. MOI in irons often gets under looked when communicated to the consumer. The volume (cc) of the head and how efficiently the mass is placed inside this volume is what determines the MOI value. Even though we don’t have a specific fitting system in terms of MOI, our iron lineup ranges from a compact, but very playable forged iron in our XTD forged set to our new IDEA Hybrid-Iron integrated set. Each set is targeting a handicap and ability range specific to the playability of the irons which MOI plays a great deal into. For the New IDEA Hybrid Iron set, where MOI plays a significant role in the playability, we have a patent protected design that we refer to as the “ABC” patent which lets us have three different club types based on volume (and thus MOI) that allows us to integrated the appropriate amount of MOI into each hybrid and iron to help the golfer through their entire set.

I already posted this question on page one but am very curious as to what your take is, so hopefully you can answer my question below!

[quote name='rtraudt' timestamp='1397772902' post='9114611']
First off, thank you Adams for making fantastic equipment. I've currently got a Fast 12 LS that cycles in and out of my bag (depending on the course I'm playing and wind conditions) as well as Tight Lies and Super 9031 that are going to be in the bag for a LONG time. I'm wearing an Adams golf hat as we speak as well! My question is, being in my 20s, many of my playing partners comment on my Adams gear and clubs and ask me why I'm playing "old man clubs." Although I love the gear, I can't disagree with the perception that Adams gear is played by a predominantly older crowd. [b]In light of this, is Adams planning to branch out and try and sign some newer, younger stars to help boost their sales and appeal with a younger golfing crowd?[/b] I know far too many golfers my age who don't even give Adams clubs a shot (huge mistake, IMO), and I can't help but feel that their decision is made largely in part because of the lack of high-profile, younger stars sponsored by Adams.

Thanks again, keep making great clubs (especially with "real-deal" shafts, which us GolfWRX members all appreciate), and I'll keep buying! Those XTD forged irons are calling my name...
[/quote]

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

[quote name='Jimmy Mac' timestamp='1398272514' post='9152155']
Is Adams' club design independent of TaylorMade's. It seems some technologies are crossing back and forth. Is that brought about by a natural evolution of club design or is there a shared design team?
[/quote]
[i][b][i]The Adams golf marketing, product management and R&D teams are here in North Dallas and are run independently from the TaylorMade group out in Carlsbad.[/i][/b] At Adams Golf our product plan is based on a strategy of meeting consumer needs in the market place and exceeding your expectations. Basically giving you guys the types of clubs and performance, which you can’t get anywhere else and giving it to you in ways you’ve never seen before with new and innovative technologies. To do this part of our process it to frequently analyze the market and make predictions on what the other companies are going to do, to determine what type of products we should create and when we should launch. One of the pieces which has helped since the partnership is some visibility into TaylorMade’s product plan to help us determine when the best time for us to launch products will be. This visibility is more information for the team here in North Dallas to use in our decision making process; which is always helpful. (Fox)[/i]

[quote name='AdamsGolf' timestamp='1398272536' post='9152157']
Hello GolfWRXers and thank you all for this opportunity and for all the questions we have already received. We're in our "Communications Center" ready to answer all of your questions. Send them our way about anything Adams. We've got a lot of great things happening around our products and brand and are excited to share it all with you. Let's make this happen!!
[/quote]
I have another question besides the two I posted on page 7. How do you recommend going about properly filling the gap between my 4 iron and 3 metal with one or more pro hybrids? Thanks for coming online to respond to questions.

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1397768908' post='9114199']
I will pose my question now since I will be in Mexico getting married during this conversation...

Has joining the Taylormade family changed the way you market, produce products, or release new technology? Will Adams be accelerating their product cycle to be more in line with the TMaG release timelines?

Thanks guys!
[/quote]

[i]At Adams Golf our product plan is based on a strategy of meeting consumer needs in the market place and exceeding your expectations. Basically giving you guys the types of clubs and performance, which you can’t get anywhere else and giving it to you in ways you’ve never seen before with new and innovative technologies. To do this part of our process it to frequently analyze the market and make predictions on what the other companies are going to do, to determine what type of products we should create and when we should launch. One of the pieces which has helped since the partnership is some visibility into TaylorMade’s product plan to help us determine when the best time for us to launch products will be. This visibility is more information for the team here in North Dallas to use in our decision making process; which is always helpful. [b]The Adams golf marketing, product management and R&D teams are here in North Dallas and are run independently from the TaylorMade group out in Carlsbad.[/b] [/i]

[i]There is no “TaylorMade Launch strategy” that they require all of their brands to adhere too. In fact, at Adams, our product launches have actually decreased since the joining the TMaG family. Before the partnership, Adams Golf had shorter and more evolutionary product launches across more brands, compared to now where we are trying to establish only a few brands at a time, which are our XTD, Pro, Tight Lies and new idea brands. Our focus is on only making golf products, which are new, different and needed in the marketplace, which require longer development times. [/i]

[i]Congrats on the marriage! I get hitched in two weeks, so if you have any tips for the big day, please let me know. [/i]

[i]-Michael Fox[/i]

[quote name='AdamsGolf' timestamp='1398272684' post='9152181']
[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1398272595' post='9152165']
[/quote]

This is a great and interesting point. MOI in irons often gets under looked when communicated to the consumer. The volume (cc) of the head and how efficiently the mass is placed inside this volume is what determines the MOI value. Even though we don’t have a specific fitting system in terms of MOI, our iron lineup ranges from a compact, but very playable forged iron in our XTD forged set to our new IDEA Hybrid-Iron integrated set. Each set is targeting a handicap and ability range specific to the playability of the irons which MOI plays a great deal into. For the New IDEA Hybrid Iron set, where MOI plays a significant role in the playability, we have a patent protected design that we refer to as the “ABC” patent which lets us have three different club types based on volume (and thus MOI) that allows us to integrated the appropriate amount of MOI into each hybrid and iron to help the golfer through their entire set.
[/quote]

A good response, but I was thinking MOI matching sets of irons versus swing weight.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1398272653' post='9152175']
If you were to release a new blade would it also feature the pvd finish of the mb2?
[/quote]

<Justin Honea> The finish of the MB2 iron was a RAW gun blue finish and at this time we have no plans but that could change given feedback like this. That was a great finish and one that I was very excited about when we launched it.

[quote name='moymoiboy' timestamp='1397769527' post='9114277']
How interconnecting are Adams club designs and Taylormade designs, for example does Taylomade design for Adam's clubs completely or is it separate like there is Adam's design team and Taylormade's design team? If so do the two teams collaborate together regularly or generally both teams keep to themselves?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Good question. The R&D/design teams at Adams Golf and Taylormade are totally separate and actually not a lot changed in this area since the acquisition. We do collaborate on a regular basis and what this means is we typically go out to Carlsbad at least once a quarter and during that meeting both of us share our upcoming product lines and product positions. - Justin Honea

[quote name='AdamsGolf' timestamp='1398272797' post='9152197']
[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1398272653' post='9152175']
If you were to release a new blade would it also feature the pvd finish of the mb2?
[/quote]

<Justin Honea> The finish of the MB2 iron was a RAW gun blue finish and at this time we have no plans but that could change given feedback like this. That was a great finish and one that I was very excited about when we launched it.
[/quote]

Thanks for the answer! I really liked the look of the mb2 irons and i think it was something that set them apart from other blades.

[quote name='Wall-E' timestamp='1397769669' post='9114299']
What has the Adams R&D department been working on for the 2015-2016 season?
[/quote]

If I told you I would have to ……. Just kidding. We are working on some really cool designs for Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 and I think you all will be very impressed. Without giving anything away J one thing we are working on is the next generation VST which will have improvements in performance and look which everyone should like! - Justin Honea

[quote name='IheartNY' timestamp='1398272788' post='9152193']
Why did Adams Golf switch from the triangle weight screw to the 6 pointed weight screw on your new hybrids?
[/quote]

<Justin Honea> We felt it made the most sense to standardize the keyway with the rest of the industry instead of keeping a unique design just for Adams.

How has your Long Drive section been affected lately with Callaway entering the market? Are you still advancing in LD or is it taking a back seat since joining forces with TMAG?

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions! I put this one back on page 1, I'd be very interested in your response:

For Justin Honea- I saw in a previous interview that you said the new XTD driver has the hottest face in golf because you hold such tight manufacturing tolerances. Does Adams use any special manufacturing processes to enable these tight tolerances? Or have you figured out new ways to design around traditional manufacturing methods?

Thanks again Adams!

[quote name='AdamsGolf' timestamp='1398272904' post='9152213']
[quote name='moymoiboy' timestamp='1397769527' post='9114277']
How interconnecting are Adams club designs and Taylormade designs, for example does Taylomade design for Adam's clubs completely or is it separate like there is Adam's design team and Taylormade's design team? If so do the two teams collaborate together regularly or generally both teams keep to themselves?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Good question. The R&D/design teams at Adams Golf and Taylormade are totally separate and actually not a lot changed in this area since the acquisition. We do collaborate on a regular basis and what this means is we typically go out to Carlsbad at least once a quarter and during that meeting both of us share our upcoming product lines and product positions. - Justin Honea
[/quote]

Does either one of you (Adams or TM) feel that you (Adams) should be leading the R&D for hybrids or any other club related to the "2nd shot" since you guys already have already made such an effort to be as effective as possible in that aspect. You've already got momentum and proven trust in the hybrid sector, so does Taylormade want to feed off that and allow you to take more of a lead in that department?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1397770631' post='9114419']
"Own the Second Shot" is a BRILLIANT marketing idea Scott. What else can we expect to see as part of this campaign? Any events associated with the promotion?
[/quote]

[i]First, thanks for the compliment! This is actually a corporate movement (not just a campaign) that we’ve created. “Own The Second Shot” is a tagline that we use to communicate our position in the marketplace. Our company’s history, success, and tour support is built around the second shot clubs (fairway woods, hybrids and irons) and we plan to only strengthen that position and lead in those categories into the future. You’ll see more emphasis in our advertising and product development around our Second Shot movement. It’s a great story-telling opportunity for us and you too … we love to hear about golfers favorite second shots – the most important shots in golf. In addition (and maybe most importantly) is that there is a wave of data on the way that actually supports the fact that approach shots (many times second shots) are the biggest difference between tour winnners vs. the field and the biggest difference between good amateurs and higher handicappers. Columbia professor Mark Broadie analyzed over 10 Million shots on the PGA Tour and recently published his findings in the book [b][u]Every Shot Counts. [/u][/b] If you haven’t read it, I highly recommend it. Here’s one of his nuggets: “Among the top 40 PGA Tour pros, approach shots was the most important shot category, accounting for 40% of their scoring advantage.” - Scott Blevins [/i]

[quote name='Marks23' timestamp='1398272744' post='9152189']
[quote name='AdamsGolf' timestamp='1398272536' post='9152157']
[/quote]
I have another question besides the two I posted on page 7. How do you recommend going about properly filling the gap between my 4 iron and 3 metal with one or more pro hybrids? Thanks for coming online to respond to questions.
[/quote]
The DHy or Pro Mini will work great as a direct iron replacement, and has done really well replacing a lot of 3 and 4 irons out on tour and in average players bags. The new Pro Hybrid and Tight Lies work great to fill that 5 wood spot.-MN

[quote name='Jimmy Mac' timestamp='1398272678' post='9152179']
Adams has a great selection of hybrids and irons for different styles of players, but only a single driver option, why? Does research show high and low handicappers share the same needs?
[/quote]

This is a great question! As a company of our size, it is difficult to launch multiple drivers within the same year. What we try to focus on with our drivers are technologies that can benefit all golfers! Most recently, we have developed a manufacturing process that only works well for a small company like us that allows us to claim we have the "hottest face in golf" It'd be tough to find a golfer that doesn't want that in their Driver!

- JG

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1397770642' post='9114421']
Any truth Adams was/is thinking about doing some sort of MOI matching/fitting for their irons? I think this would be a great way to differentiate yourself if you even offered the option.
[/quote]

This is a great and interesting point. MOI in irons often gets under looked when communicated to the consumer. The volume (cc) of the head and how efficiently the mass is placed inside this volume is what determines the MOI value. Even though we don’t have a specific fitting system in terms of MOI, our iron lineup ranges from a compact, but very playable forged iron in our XTD forged set to our new IDEA Hybrid-Iron integrated set. Each set is targeting a handicap and ability range specific to the playability of the irons which MOI plays a great deal into. For the New IDEA Hybrid Iron set, where MOI plays a significant role in the playability, we have a patent protected design that we refer to as the “ABC” patent which lets us have three different club types based on volume (and thus MOI) that allows us to integrated the appropriate amount of MOI into each hybrid and iron to help the golfer through their entire set. - Justin Girard

[quote name='MaydayGSXR' timestamp='1398272670' post='9152177']
I've read the the goal of your R&D is to get ahead of the times, and make quality tour level clubs (some of your clubs are on tour long before they ever see retail). Are you guys solely focused on getting your clubs in the bags of tour players, with the hopes that it's success will trickle down to the public for sales? Or are you starting to look more into fitting a variety of types of players (with your different options and styles in hybrids, driving irons, etc)?
[/quote]
Our strategy for hybrids is to maintain our position as the #1 hybrid on tour. To do this we need to have frequent testing with prototypes with the best players in the world to make sure the products work for there games. We also use tour as a testing ground for new technologies to ensure that we can one day get the products in play on tour. This strategy and product development plan is only the case for our tour level products and hybrids. All other products are designed through looking at market need, market opportunity and technology to help normal golfers make the game easier. Most of the products we create are for the mid-handicap and high handicap golfers, which tour product and development wont work for.