2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Manual de la Torre Method

upanddown

I haven't had the pleasure to visit Mr. De la Torre in person, but thanks to several readings of the iBooks version of his book, Steve's postings on the forum, and watching his appearance on [url="http://youtu.be/F-hYlxnB5OM"]Golf Academy Live[/url], I have adopted his method.

I agree it is scary simple, but it is built on a solid concept and to quote the man himself "There is nothing wrong if you do it right".

Thank you Steve for introducing me to Manny, and I agree, You can't do better.

The book, Understanding the Golf Swing, is better than the DVD. But, they complement each other, and I have watched and read many times.

I prefer Swing the Handle by Eddie Merrins. Methods are somewhat similar; Merrins is forearms back and forearms through. DLT is hands back and forearms through. Both are simple. Stay in balance and let the club do the work.

[quote name='3eagles18' timestamp='1398355182' post='9160605']
The book, Understanding the Golf Swing, is better than the DVD. But, they complement each other, and I have watched and read many times.

I prefer Swing the Handle by Eddie Merrins. Methods are somewhat similar; Merrins is forearms back and forearms through. DLT is hands back and forearms through. Both are simple. Stay in balance and let the club do the work.
[/quote]

Actually, Mr. de la Torre is very strict about the hands taking the club back and the arms swinging the club forward. He is quick to point out that his definition of arms is that area from the elbow to the shoulder and NOT the forearms.

• Like 1

[quote name='Jersey golfer' timestamp='1398364139' post='9162015']

[/quote]

Actually, Mr. de la Torre is very strict about the hands taking the club back and the arms swinging the club forward. He is quick to point out that his definition of arms is that area from the elbow to the shoulder and NOT the forearms.
[/quote]

Jersey is correct and the point he is making is a major one. When you swing back with the hands as Manny teaches you will find yourself coiled at the top with the left arm extended, the right are bent at the elbow approximately 90 degrees, and the wrists cocked. When you swing forward as you should with the arms (upper arms) you will find the arm and wrist positions are retained well into the forward swing to be unleashed through the ball. If you swing forward with the hands or forearms that will not naturally be the case. So, if you covet the retained lag position, swing the whole club forward, with the arms, in one continuous motion, in the direction of the target and lag will be yours.

Steve

• Like 1

[quote name='juststeve' timestamp='1398364749' post='9162149']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Jersey is correct and the point he is making is a major one. When you swing back with the hands as Manny teaches you will find yourself coiled at the top with the left arm extended, the right are bent at the elbow approximately 90 degrees, and the wrists cocked. When you swing forward as you should with the arms (upper arms) you will find the arm and wrist positions are retained well into the forward swing to be unleashed through the ball. If you swing forward with the hands or forearms that will not naturally be the case. So, if you covet the retained lag position, swing the whole club forward, with the arms, in one continuous motion, in the direction of the target and lag will be yours.

Steve
[/quote]

Thanks Steve.. I was curious about why the hands back and not the arms both ways.. I'm going to get the book and give it a try in a live round. Just messing around with pitch shots in the yard today and I could see that if you swing to the target (and do it correctly) you would never come over the top..

[quote name='juststeve' timestamp='1398350358' post='9159923']
Manny taught me to swing the golf club, from scratch, in the late 60's and has been my mentor virtually ever since. He took me from literally never had hit a golf ball to a plus handicap at Milwaukee Country Club by the end of my second summer of very intense work. You can't do better than MDLT.

Steve
[/quote]

Steve, are you old enough to have known Harvey Ott? That maybe sounded wrong, please don't take it the wrong way...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='upanddown' timestamp='1398382511' post='9164299']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Steve
[/quote]

Thanks Steve.. I was curious about why the hands back and not the arms both ways.. I'm going to get the book and give it a try in a live round. Just messing around with pitch shots in the yard today and I could see that if you swing to the target (and do it correctly) you would never come over the top..
[/quote]

When I took my lessons he had me hit dozens and dozens of 1/2 and 3/4 wedges and than the same with the 7 iron. One aspect of MDLT's teachings that becomes significantly more obvious when you take a lesson in person is the attention to the mental aspect of swinging the club. Remember that the only thing that counts is the target and the club. No positions, no mental energy expended on trying to get the body to perform. One thing, at least in my opinion and Steve may disagree, is that Manuel is very specific with his words, both in the book and when taking a lesson, however, be careful of taking everything too literally. The more I pursue his method and reread the book and lesson notes, I realize that he is very specific with his methodology, not so that your goal is necessarily to execute with precision, but rather to present a clear mental picture of what you trying to do. I know that may sound confusing, but at least for me, it has been a revelation and freed me from complicating what is already a pretty streamlined approach to golf.

Pearl:

I don't disagree with you at all. Manny is trying to answer for his student the most important question of all. What do I need to do with the club to make the ball fly a predictable distance in the direction of the target? My observation is the vast majority of golfers, even those who have been coached by fine teachers, can't answer that question. They will be able to tell you all sorts of things about how they are trying to move their weight, or turn their hips, or trigger the downswing, but as Manny has already told you, those things don't matter. All that matters is what you do with the club.

Manny uses precise terminology because he wants his students to know what to do with the club. What he want's them to do is a specific thing. It is not to swipe at the ball, pull push or lever the club, it is to swing the club, (swing having a particular meaniny) in the direction of the target. Many times I've heard him ask a student this series of questions. Manny: Do you know what to do? Student: Yes. Manny: when you do it does it work? Student:Yes. Manny: The continue to practice that until you do it better and more consistently. Only is a student answers a question with No is it necessary to check the swing to see what is going wrong. The diagnosis is always that the student is not really doing what they intend to do.

You have had if I recall 3 lessons with Manny. Based on that you know what to do with the club. You can have a thousand more lessons and what to do with the club won't change. Correct is correct. He may help you actually do what you're trying to do, or to do it better, but what you are trying to do shouldn't change.

That is why understand the principle is so important. You can't move the club the right way unless you know what the right way is. Manny gives his students the key to the right way puzzle.

Steve

• Like 1

[quote name='upanddown' timestamp='1398382511' post='9164299']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Steve
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hell of a question and one I've never asked Manny. Why not arms both ways? Obviously we can't get the club over our right shoulder unless there is involvement of the arms so what's the story with that.

I can only tell you my experience. When I allow myself to focus on the arms on the way back I feel it moves me off the ball. Too much weight goes to the right and I have to find a way to get it to the left side. Unnecessary complication. When I focus on my hands going back I arrive coiled and centered at the top of the back swing. My weight gets to the left side in the forward swing purely as a reaction. Simpler is better.

Steve

• Like 2

[quote name='juststeve' timestamp='1398437084' post='9168493']
Pearl:

I don't disagree with you at all. Manny is trying to answer for his student the most important question of all. What do I need to do with the club to make the ball fly a predictable distance in the direction of the target? My observation is the vast majority of golfers, even those who have been coached by fine teachers, can't answer that question. They will be able to tell you all sorts of things about how they are trying to move their weight, or turn their hips, or trigger the downswing, but as Manny has already told you, those things don't matter. All that matters is what you do with the club.

Manny uses precise terminology because he wants his students to know what to do with the club. What he want's them to do is a specific thing. It is not to swipe at the ball, pull push or lever the club, it is to swing the club, (swing having a particular meaniny) in the direction of the target. Many times I've heard him ask a student this series of questions. Manny: Do you know what to do? Student: Yes. Manny: when you do it does it work? Student:Yes. Manny: The continue to practice that until you do it better and more consistently. Only is a student answers a question with No is it necessary to check the swing to see what is going wrong. The diagnosis is always that the student is not really doing what they intend to do.

You have had if I recall 3 lessons with Manny. Based on that you know what to do with the club. You can have a thousand more lessons and what to do with the club won't change. Correct is correct. He may help you actually do what you're trying to do, or to do it better, but what you are trying to do shouldn't change.

That is why understand the principle is so important. You can't move the club the right way unless you know what the right way is. Manny gives his students the key to the right way puzzle.

Steve
[/quote]

Exactly. A lesson with MDLT is quite an experience, but there is no magic fairy dust he sprinkles on you when you step on the lesson tee. It is all in the book and the instruction is a very precise exercise in applying the principles in the book. There is no tinkering or winging it. There is no "try this" or "try that" or " your doing this, don't do that, do this" going on.

The biggest leap, which took me a very long time to conquer was to completely focus on the club. For me, it is if I don't exist other than being the vehicle used to swing the club to the target. A very interesting mental image he suggested to me was during my swing to picture the target and picture the movement of the club throughout the entire swing toward the target. Notice there is no reference to the ball. This sounds odd, but I often use this mental practice at home. You can just relax and visualize how the club is supposed to move in the golf swing.

Listen, he can tell you what you do wrong instantly. He had me pegged in about 6, 1/2 swing pitch shots. I have a very active upper body and I throw the club at the ball. Most teachers would tell you what you are doing wrong and commence to trying correct it. Manuel does not tell you what you do wrong. After having the usual discussion of "what you are trying to do", he phrased it something like this ..."Your intention is to hit at the ball with your upper body, I want your intention to be to swing the club to the target."

• Like 1

JustSteve and Pearl,

What do you think of Steve Stricker's swing in relation to MDLT's teaching? To me, his swing has that look and feel....simple, uncomplicated, very little timing required, just swing back and swing forward with no apparent effort to hold lag, or manipulate the handle or clubhead separately from the rest of the club. I find it hard to believe its a coincidence that he has lived most of his life within 2 hours of Milwaukee.

[quote name='juststeve' timestamp='1398350358' post='9159923']
Manny taught me to swing the golf club, from scratch, in the late 60's and has been my mentor virtually ever since. He took me from literally never had hit a golf ball to a plus handicap at Milwaukee Country Club by the end of my second summer of very intense work. You can't do better than MDLT.

Steve
[/quote]

Steve, when I looked at the top teachers in the world in Golf Digest I got a real laugh. Here you got all these guys with their $500, $300 mega dollars an hour, and there is Manny at $80 an hour. :-)

• Like 1

[quote name='ericpaul2' timestamp='1398549821' post='9177001']
JustSteve and Pearl,

What do you think of Steve Stricker's swing in relation to MDLT's teaching? To me, his swing has that look and feel....simple, uncomplicated, very little timing required, just swing back and swing forward with no apparent effort to hold lag, or manipulate the handle or clubhead separately from the rest of the club. I find it hard to believe its a coincidence that he has lived most of his life within 2 hours of Milwaukee.
[/quote]

I actually asked this question. Good call, he told me that he thought Stricker swung as close to his method as anybody. He also mentioned that he thought Tom Watson had the best swing of the modern players. He did not say if he worked or crossed path with Stricker in terms of instruction. I know that he did give Moe Norman a lesson. I also think JustSteve played with Manny and Moe once.

I just find it interesting that the pro that most epitomizes MDLT's concept for the swing also happens to live in the same state, yet I've never heard the two discussed in the same breath/article/post.

To me, anecdotally we should learn a lesson from Stricker. Maintain a simple swing and there's very little to go wrong. He takes weeks off from competition and then immediately returns to form when needed. I'm not saying there's no practice required, but simple means consistency and confidence.

A little research and I think it's impossible that there wasn't some influence. Manuel and Dennis Tiziani were both very active in WPGA, they must have known each other relatively well. Dennis Tiziani, in addition to being the golf coach at UW for years, is also Stricker's father-in-law and, at the very least, a swing adviser if not all out swing coach. On top of that, Manuel, Tiziani, and Stricker all have their names on records and past champions lists all over Wisconsin.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1398689534' post='9185921']
I really like Mr. Stricker's swing. Sometimes we get a thread about whose swing would you like to have. Me? I would take his. :-)
[/quote]

I assume Stricker might disagree you taking his swing from him.
:stink:

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

It would be very difficult for a Wisconsin Golfer to grow up without being influenced to some extent by Manuel de la Torre. He is a looming presence in Wisconsin Golf. That said I would be interested in knowing from Stricker himself how he believes his swing is powered. Does he power it with his arms allowing his body to respond, or does he move his arms with his pivot? In a swing as well coordinated as his it is very hard to tell just by looking.

Steve

[quote name='juststeve' timestamp='1398692634' post='9186247']
Does he power it with his arms allowing his body to respond, or does he move his arms with his pivot? In a swing as well coordinated as his it is very hard to tell just by looking.

Steve
[/quote]
Pivot driven allowing his body to respond to arms falling.
He does that really well.

Golf God

[quote name='RBImGuy' timestamp='1398693003' post='9186289']
Does he power it with his arms allowing his body to respond, or does he move his arms with his pivot? In a swing as well coordinated as his it is very hard to tell just by looking.

Steve
[/quote]
[/quote]

And you know that how? Could be true but experience teaches me that well done the MDLT swing is hard to distinguish from the body driven swing. I love to hear Stricker say what he's doing.

Steve.

I have to say it is hard to determine without asking the golfer, but I think generally pivot driven swings appear to show more "effort" with the body than Sticker shows. I don't see any great effort like I see with a Dustin Johnson or Tiger Woods. That's not an absolute though. Certainly there's some contribution.

Still, here is a quote from the Golf Digest swing sequence article:

"[color=#000000]Tiziani says Stricker's armsy action is more reliable under pressure." [/color]

[quote name='juststeve' timestamp='1398695210' post='9186541']
[quote name='RBImGuy' timestamp='1398693003' post='9186289']

Steve
[/quote]
[/quote]

And you know that how? Could be true but experience teaches me that well done the MDLT swing is hard to distinguish from the body driven swing. I love to hear Stricker say what he's doing.

Steve.
[/quote]

You can see that on what muscles activate in what order as he swings and how the sequence fire and how much effort is applied in the firing.
If he didnt do that his sequence would be different.
Even if you asked him he wouldnt have a clue what he does when he swings.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w33kppJ5Mas"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w33kppJ5Mas[/url]

Golf God