Production Callaway X-460 Tour Review

sandy

Finally got my X-460 Tour production model and was able to return the demo/prototype back to our rep. Since I was very impressed with the demo unit he had loaned me my desire was for the production model to be as good as the prototype. I'm happy to report that it is and a little better for me since this is an 8.5 rather than the 9.5 I was using. Unlike most Callaways this loft produces a much lower trajectory than past 8.5s in other models. It is night and day lower than the FT-3 8.5 I have for instance. This club is very long compared to others I have been playing with (r7 425 TP, XX Speed, G5, Sasquatch Tour) and if anything is longer than the 9.5 I was using (probably due to the lower loft). I can say without hesitation it is the best looking driver at address that Callaway has produced to date. Black shiny finish with a definite open face -----hand selected for me I think they are normally square (unlike the r7 425 TP I got yesterday that was closed). It is much easier to do whatever you want with the ball compared to the FT-3 for example even in the neutral weighting option. This will be the club that probably starts in my bag in 2006 as it works much better for me than the other 2006s I have to date. The Tour fairway didn't come with the driver but should be here next week. At $299 this club is a real bargin based on performance. The only negative is the really mundane dopey looking headcover. It is black and silver with a shiny silver X on the cover. At least it won't attract attention like the r7 headcovers do. Of the $299 price this headcover must be responsible for at least $.50 :birthday:

The nice thing about this driver and it's trajectory is for the first time in my memory a callaway driver bored through the wind instead of upshooting into the wind because of how high their drivers hit the ball. Looks like another big year for Callaway. I can't imagine anyone buying an FT-3 after comparing the two clubs.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly louder than the 454 particularly under an enclosed stall. Out in the open and on the course it is about the same as the 454 but a slightly different frequency. I can only assume that all the people that are claiming it sounds like a brass band are demoing it in an enclosed stall.

Most quiet vehicles are very noisy when you pull up to a fast food drive through. I had a Lexus GS430 the other day and when I pulled up to a MacDonald's drive through it sounded just like diesel with all the valve clattering, but out from an enclosure it is very quiet.

Thanks for the review. I look forward to getting my hands on one and seeing how it performs. I liked the 454 but it was just not quite right for me compared to the Cleveland Comp.

Titleist 915D3 | Rogue Black 70
Titleist 915F | Rogue Black 80
Titleist 915H | Diamana D+ 90
Mizuno MP-53 | KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX | DG S200
Taylor Made Ghost Spider

The one production U.S. one looked a little closed. I've read some where else that while the Aussie X-460 is 2 degrees closed and the Tour is square that the U.S. version may be square for the X-460 and 1 degree open for the Tour version. They did have to pick my head to get me an open head so maybe they are intended to be square.

• 1 month later...

First driver I bought using launch monitor data and this thing is extremely hot and accurate! It looks fantastic and I didn't think it sounded that loud. Tried both regular and tour models with YS-6, NV, stock Fujikura, and Tour Platform shafts. Surprisingly, the best feel was the Tour Platform followed by the stock Fujikura. They both produced almost identical numbers so I am inclined to believe that the stock Fujikura is just a slight modified Tour Platform.

The X 460 and X 460 Tour are in stores all over Ventura county, CA where I live (Golfsmith, Roger Dunn, Las Vegas Dicount Golf). As well as both models of there new X fairway woods. Callaway's website for the US region shows the standard 460 closed 2* and the Tour square. I hit both at Golfsmith and they have a really solid feel to them. I can't comment on the flight cause I was hitting into a net. At adress position the X 460 looked really closed to me. The Tour sat nice and square. So much for diapers and food this month I got to pull the trigger on one of these.

Still haven't found any driver that is the equal of this driver yet. After playing one for 4 months now (2 with the reps. and 2 with mine) I still haven't found anything that rivals it. The Hi Bore and 905R are close but still behind the X-460. All the others are bunched in a group well behind these (XX Speed--fell since last evaluation for ability to work the ball, G5, Tour Exotics, MacTech, SQ, SQ Tour, SQ Max Tour (had a chance to play one thanks to the report here about its existance), FT-3, Mizuno MX-500, MP-003, Adams, r7 425 TP, r7 460 and 460 TP (proto), Nicklaus 460 DPT.

Still haven't found any driver that is the equal of this driver yet. After playing one for 4 months now (2 with the reps. and 2 with mine) I still haven't found anything that rivals it. The Hi Bore and 905R are close but still behind the X-460. All the others are bunched in a group well behind these (XX Speed--fell since last evaluation for ability to work the ball, G5, Tour Exotics, MacTech, SQ, SQ Tour, SQ Max Tour (had a chance to play one thanks to the report here about its existance), FT-3, Mizuno MX-500, MP-003, Adams, r7 425 TP, r7 460 and 460 TP (proto), Nicklaus 460 DPT.

well Sandy....you talked me into one.. 9.5Tour on the way....eventhough my current FT-3 is pretty nice.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I had the X460 Tour 9.5 and still have my BB 454. I REALLY did not like the sound of the X460. It sounds more like the first Fusion to me. A higher pitch, more like a flat sounding "TING". I really like the way the 454 sounds when I smack it. I also did not feel that I hit the X460 any further than the 454. The other thing that I personally did not like about the X460 was the way it set up. The "alignment sole" I felt forces me to line up one way. Now before I get flamed, I KNOW that's what it was for but felt that it slightly limited me in how I wanted to set up a shot. I put the 454 back in the bag and sold the X460 after one round and some range time. The sound really bothered me that much. FYI: X460 9.5* Tour with Fujikura 26.3 X-stiff as compared to the 454 9* with the NV-65 X-stiff. *Roughly* the same weight and torque, but with a mid kickpoint on the Fujikura and a high kickpoint on the NV-65.

Sandy,

So assuming that you have same FT3 Tour and X460 Tour driver in same loft and same shaft, are you convinced that X460 will produce lower and more boring ballflight than FT3, right? It's because I have FT3 Tour 9.5* w/Prolite and it goes little high for my liking.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Sandy,

So assuming that you have same FT3 Tour and X460 Tour driver in same loft and same shaft, are you convinced that X460 will produce lower and more boring ballflight than FT3, right? It's because I have FT3 Tour 9.5* w/Prolite and it goes little high for my liking.

I had two 8.5 Tour FT-3 fusions one with an X NV65 and an X NVS one neutral and one fade biased. Both hit tremendous draws that were very very very high. I have had an X-460 8.5 Tour with an X NV65 in it that was much lower trajectory compared to the FT-3 and some longer. Then I tried the Fuji Tour Platform 26.3 in an X The key is an X 26.3 is not at all like an S 26.3 (which is kind of weak). The X 26.3 was much longer than the X NV65 and significantly longer than the FT-3 due in part to the lower/better for my swing trajectory.

To the person that said the X-460 sounds like the first fusion I can only guess the X-460 you tried had a crack in it. The first fusion and the X-460 are about as far apart in sound as an old Taylor Made foamed steel driver and a cobra ti driver. You could get a better solid crack out of a busted persimmon driver compared to the first fusion.

I have to agree that the X460 is signficantly louder than the 454 (having owned two, with one NVS which I still have and the other Prolaunch). The 454 had a good sound but definately a more muted ping. I took my old 454 with NVS and the X460 to the range yesterday and there was no comparison. A lot may be due to the Tour Platform shaft being a better fit for me but I definately had more accuracy with the X460/Tour Platform combo. I was actually more surprised by how much more accuracte it is. :kewlpics: I guess I learned my lesson and got fit for once!

P.S.

The X fairways are unbelievable. Hitting fairways from the turf has been a very weak point in my game but these things get the balll up like you wouldn't believe. I hit some thin shots once in a while but the ball still went it the air! I was so excited that I hit a whole bucket with nothing else but my fairways.

I had two 8.5 Tour FT-3 fusions one with an X NV65 and an X NVS one neutral and one fade biased. Both hit tremendous draws that were very very very high. I have had an X-460 8.5 Tour with an X NV65 in it that was much lower trajectory compared to the FT-3 and some longer. Then I tried the Fuji Tour Platform 26.3 in an X The key is an X 26.3 is not at all like an S 26.3 (which is kind of weak). The X 26.3 was much longer than the X NV65 and significantly longer than the FT-3 due in part to the lower/better for my swing trajectory.

In my case the X-460 definitely produces a lower ballflight with less spin compared to the FT-3, sound, looks and feel are better as well.

I have got a 9.5 tour with Fuji TP 26.3 stiff and find it too soft, I'm going to trie it with an Aldila 65NV stiff but it probably will be too soft as well. I've got an average ss of 115 and thinking of an X shaft. But I don't want to lose too much feel. I am wondering which one of the two X shafts produces a lower flight and which one feels softer/better.

Thanks a bunch!

In my case the X-460 definitely produces a lower ballflight with less spin compared to the FT-3, sound, looks and feel are better as well.

I have got a 9.5 tour with Fuji TP 26.3 stiff and find it too soft, I'm going to trie it with an Aldila 65NV stiff but it probably will be too soft as well. I've got an average ss of 115 and thinking of an X shaft. But I don't want to lose too much feel. I am wondering which one of the two X shafts produces a lower flight and which one feels softer/better.

Thanks a bunch!

For me the Fuji Tour Platform produced a lower trajectory than the NV. This is unusual since the NV has always produced a lower trajectory in everything I've used it in. I suspect in an S flex the NV might be the stronger shaft while in X the Tour Platform is in this club (I have a low 8.5 tour probably 7.5 that has a 1.5 degree open face---it was picked for me from a selection of heads the tour department had---still marked 8.5 but it was a low runner loft wise when measured). I think 115 would be just fine for an X NV but it might be a little on the edge with an X Tour Platform. If you are consistently at that speed maybe ok but much under that and you won't like the results. My brother has a 112 mph swing speed and he could only hit these weak dying quails to the right with this shaft, but had no problem with the X NV.

Thanks for the info! So the NV has a softer feel in an X flex?

I don't understand the trajectory either. According too the specs on the Aldila website the NV should have a mid-low and the Fuji a mid launch angle. If you look at the Fuji specs on the Fuji website it says mid kickpoint but on the Callaway website it says high kickpoint... :kewlpics:

I'm consistent at 115 with a smooth 'drivingrange' swing. If I go after it a little (which I usually do on the course) it is around 120. I've hit the 85NV X and found it flexibel enough but far to heavy because I prefer a lightweight shaft. What is your swingspeed?

Thanks for the info! So the NV has a softer feel in an X flex?

I don't understand the trajectory either. According too the specs on the Aldila website the NV should have a mid-low and the Fuji a mid launch angle. If you look at the Fuji specs on the Fuji website it says mid kickpoint but on the Callaway website it says high kickpoint... :kewlpics:

I'm consistent at 115 with a smooth 'drivingrange' swing. If I go after it a little (which I usually do on the course) it is around 120. I've hit the 85NV X and found it flexibel enough but far to heavy because I prefer a lightweight shaft. What is your swingspeed?

Pretty consistently 118+. If I go after it I can turn a 129+ but I feel it in these old bones for days afterwards. :aggressive: Probably why I stopped participating in the LDA contests.