What's your "hidden gem" golf course?

Technically this is not the proper forum for this, but we wanted to get some eyeballs on it from membership. We're willing to bet there are a few WRX members that have their own "Hidden Gem" course and we'd like you to share the story in the thread below. Andrew is one of our writers and approached us with the concept. There's a course on Hawaii where the greens fees are 15 bucks? If you don't have any golf balls, they'll just give them to you? Rarely do we publish on both the front page and forums, but we're sure there are stories out there. Hopefully you enjoy it and will share yours.

unnamed4-620x400.jpg

What's your hidden gem?

By Andrew Tursky

Golf is expensive. I know, quite the earth-shattering observation. But seriously, golf is so expensive that it’s driving people away from the game and keeping newcomers out of it. The last thing a beginner wants to do is drop a thousands of dollars on a set of clubs and spend an additional $100 every time to tee it up. It can be frustrating and financially draining.

So where can golfers play at a decent price and still have a great experience? You just have to know where to look.

There are courses around the world that offer amazing scenery and intriguing layouts without burning through your wallet. These are the diamonds in the rough, the hidden gems. They’re the hole-in-the-wall pizzerias that have way better food than the over-priced, sit-down Italian restaurant with the long wait and pretentious vibes.

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of playing one of these courses with my dad.

At the North Shore of Oahu, there sits a large field of green grass adjacent to the beautiful Hawaiian ocean. On this patch of land are randomly scattered checkered flag sticks stuck into four and a quarter-inch, round holes. They call this area of grass, sticks and holes Kahuku Golf Course.

unnamed14-600x450.jpg

My description is being slightly facetious, of course. Kahuku does have distinguishable greens, bunkers and fairways. It is, however, rudimentary in nature.

The clubhouse would compare more readily to a chicken coop than a functioning pro shop, but it truly captures the character of a hidden gem.

My dad, being on vacation in Hawaii, didn’t have any golf balls with him, so he asked to buy a sleeve inside the “pro shop.” The manager, a Hawaiian native, said they don’t sell golf balls. Instead, he put a box of used golf balls on the counter and told us to take a couple, and to “just give them back if you don’t lose them.” Yes, he really said that.

We asked if we needed a tee time. He pointed to the first tee and said to go after the group teeing off. We paid the $15 dollar greens fees (no typo) and slung some clubs over our shoulders. It all seemed so simple.

The course itself, although it only has nine holes that you play twice in order to play a full 18, had nothing but interesting holes and phenomenal views: a few drivable par fours, long par 5′s and challenging par 3′s right on the water. We kept our camera’s handy throughout the round. Even at a resort course with $200 greens fees, the cameras can usually stay safe in their case aside from the signature holes.

This is what a hidden gem looks like, and we’re on a mission to find more golf courses around the world just like it. We want to hear your story, see your pictures, and get informed about the less expensive options to play golf without sacrificing the golfing experience.

If you have a hidden gem, or a somewhat run-down course you like to play, please share your story below.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rundown course that I like to play in metro Detroit is Richmond Forest. Any given day the greens fees are less than $20 and the layout of the course is fantastic. With some lengthening and a little tlc I am convinced they could hold a big tournament. It is kind of in a town but off the beaten path at the same time. It is just far enough away that a lot of golfers in my area won't travel to play it. The green complexes are challenging and there is a great mix of holes out there with a 630 yard par 5 to challenge even the longest hitters. The practice facility is quite nice except that the range balls are mostly old top flite and such.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

In Connecticut:
Fenwick $20 for 9.. really cool course.
Shennecossett: $1500 membership abuut $35 for 18. Nice Muni

Titleist Ts4 9.5* Accra TZ6 M5
Ping G400 5w Motore Speeder VC 7.3x
Mizuno HMB 3 Nippon 120x

Mizuno MP20 4-P Nippon 120x
Cleveland Zipcore 52, 56 Ti S400

Cleveland Rtx 4 60-03 Ti S400
Ping Heppler ZB3
ProV1

Northern California
Gleneagles in San Francisco. [url="http://www.gleneaglesgolfsf.com/more-photos/y0x6ckt3oxpto8mbn2u7d1pdxq2yl9"]http://www.gleneaglesgolfsf.com/more-photos/y0x6ckt3oxpto8mbn2u7d1pdxq2yl9[/url]
Sharp Park in Pacifica. Alister MacKenzie course!
Plumas Lakes G&CC in Olivehurst is inexpensive with good greens and an interesting layout.

1. Not run down by any means but Pekin IL ( Home of DA Points), Lick Creek around 27 to walk for out of towner for a challenging beautiful course with bent grass fairways and greens.

2. Elks Club, Pontiac IL: Well maintained beautiful bent grass course with excellent layout, half way house, great bar and the friendliest people. We play a ryder cup style event there every year and they couldnt be nicer. I believe greens fees are around 30 bucks

3. In northern indiana, the brassie 42 with a cart beautiful course with beautiful views

4. In Akron OH, 10 dollar to walk as many as you want after 4= Goodpark, very fun course with lightning greens, owner has changed since I moved away hope still kept up.

Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye

Between the thriving northern Wisconsin metropolises of Clam Lake and Cable is Forest Ridges. The course is carved out of the Chequamegon National Forest and plays at about 6000 yards The afternoon weekday rate is $20 for 9 holes. But, when I arrive around 4 PM they generally say, "We are leaving around 6. Take a cart, play as many as you like and leave the key by the door."

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Okay, so it a little drive 45 minutes and it is very cheap like most courses in the area (We are the Myrtle Beach of the North Warren/Youngstown Ohio, so many quality courses under like $30 with a cart). I have found the conditions rival any courses in my immediate area for half the cost. Early mornings weekends it maxes out at $38 Riding, but many times it is $25 and under for 18 and a cart. I have found the course a blast to play as there is a little strategy involved, but there are a good amount of holes where you can open up the throttle and let it go. I had a hard time finding images, so I will try to respond in the future with more images.

[attachment=2216871:Fb1.jpg]

[attachment=2216877:fb2.jpg]

[attachment=2216879:fb3.jpg]

[attachment=2216881:fb4.jpg]

Ping G Elements Chrome 5F4
Srixon F65 17 Stock Stiff

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 Stock Recoil

Titleist AP2 716 DG SL TI S300 4-PW

Titleist SM5 Tour Chrome 50/08 F, 54/10 M and SM7 58/14 K Grind S300

Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Indy

I would have to say with the Golfnow app, I have found many "hidden gems" due to some great deals. Best I would say is a nice course called Table Creek near Nebraska City off Hwy. 2 about 45 min. east of Lincoln. I have played many rounds there for less than $20 for 18 & cart. Course was always in real good condition last summer. I just checked now and they have some $13 deals for this weekend. Insane. Their website is even impressive. http://www.tablecreek.com/

Capture.JPG

Callaway Epic Mini driver- 12.5* (Epic head, Mini Big Bertha shaft- Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 S)
TM Burner Superfast 2.0- 3 wood 15*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid (UST Mamiya Recoil ES 780 S)- 18*
Maltby DBM (KBS Tour S)- 4-GW
Bridgestone J15 wedges (True Temper DG Spinner)- 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Select

[quote name='thegooddoctor' timestamp='1399665522' post='9264877']
1. Not run down by any means but Pekin IL ( Home of DA Points), Lick Creek around 27 to walk for out of towner for a challenging beautiful course with bent grass fairways and greens.

2. Elks Club, Pontiac IL: Well maintained beautiful bent grass course with excellent layout, half way house, great bar and the friendliest people. We play a ryder cup style event there every year and they couldnt be nicer. I believe greens fees are around 30 bucks

3. In northern indiana, the brassie 42 with a cart beautiful course with beautiful views

4. In Akron OH, 10 dollar to walk as many as you want after 4= Goodpark, very fun course with lightning greens, owner has changed since I moved away hope still kept up.
[/quote]

I remember playing Goodpark with my Grandpa when I was a kid. That was 30+ years ago. Fun memories

A couple of weeks ago I spend 5 days in Ireland playing golf and came across two real gems on the south west coast of the island.
The fist one goes by the name of Dooks. Its a 125 years of age course built right into the the atlantic ocean. When you reach the highest point of the area, you can see the ocean 180° around you. Just spectacular! Gofingwise it is nothing too special, but the landscape ist jutst splendit. And all this great scenario for just 60€ which ist roughly half the money you spend on similar courses in that area.

My second gem is the cashin course. The little brother of the world famous Ballyunion course. If you were to vistit this part of the world youd probably want to play Ballybunion anyway but youd also make a big mistake to miss out on this glorious golf course, especialy as it only costs 15€ in the package with the big one.
Spectacular views and architecture wise in parts even better than at least the front nine of its big brother.
And again, given that its only 15€ it is form the value for money perspective the best course ive ever played by a country mile!!!
After just a cpoulpe holes you just got that feeling that you just had discovered something way more worth than just 15€.

I hope you enjoyed my discriptions. Please excuse some mistakes as i am german and too lazy to spell check all of this ?

Pics to follow

Hidden Gem? Grover Cleveland in Buffalo. Most of it was the Country Club of Buffalo when it hosted the US Open in 1912, but a couple of good holes were added by Donald Ross before he designed the "new" CCB course in the 1920's. A couple of bad holes were cobbled in when they built the VA Hospital in the '50's.

Bring your hickories and play it for $18 weekdays, $21 weekends.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I've got one more hidden gem: Taconic Golf Course in williamstown MA.

You can play it for $145. Why would that be a deal? Well, back in the 1970's, Taconic was in the top 50 golf courses as ranked by Golf Magazine. It hosted an NCAA Championship when Jack Nicklaus, Phil Rodgers and Tommy Aaron were collegians. If you are the sort that likes to play top 100 golf courses, this is a hidden gem. $145 would compare to $375 at The Greenbrier, $435 for the stay and play at the Upper Cascades course, and other courses of that ilk. I think that you'll have as much fun or more at Taconic, in a more relaxed atmosphere.

The course fell off the nationals consciousness because it was not kept in great shape; but in 2006 Gil Hanse went in, took out trees, reshaped and moved a few bunkers. The 17th green has been in use since 1897, if you are into that sort of thing (I am). Heck, I always thought that it was one of my favorite courses to play in the '80's, but now it's better. Scenic, with some fine holes around a creek, and some great holes up and down from a ridge, with views of the Taconic and Berkshire mountain ranges - you will not be disappointed. And don't be hesitant to move up a set of tee markers on the back nine to keep the fun level at max.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I love playing your hidden gem early in the morning before they start letting out 5somes of 20+ handicaps. You can walk it for cheap and often times play in 3 hours or so and then have the rest of your day off to yourself. I also love the bars at hidden gems. They are usually full of die hard golf fans that have been playing golf for over 30 years. Love it.

[quote name='chriss' timestamp='1399671359' post='9265391']
A couple of weeks ago I spend 5 days in Ireland playing golf and came across two real gems on the south west coast of the island.
The fist one goes by the name of Dooks. Its a 125 years of age course built right into the the atlantic ocean. When you reach the highest point of the area, you can see the ocean 180° around you. Just spectacular! Gofingwise it is nothing too special, but the landscape ist jutst splendit. And all this great scenario for just 60€ which ist roughly half the money you spend on similar courses in that area.

My second gem is the cashin course. The little brother of the world famous Ballyunion course. If you were to vistit this part of the world youd probably want to play Ballybunion anyway but youd also make a big mistake to miss out on this glorious golf course, especialy as it only costs 15€ in the package with the big one.
Spectacular views and architecture wise in parts even better than at least the front nine of its big brother.
And again, given that its only 15€ it is form the value for money perspective the best course ive ever played by a country mile!!!
After just a cpoulpe holes you just got that feeling that you just had discovered something way more worth than just 15€.

I hope you enjoyed my discriptions. Please excuse some mistakes as i am german and too lazy to spell check all of this ?

Pics to follow
[/quote]

Dooks is one of my favorite courses in the world.

Love their logo too.

Oak Hollow in High Point, NC is one of Pete Dye's earlier designs. It's an affordable but challenging municipal course that's definitely worth the trip if you're nearby.

I lived in High Point several years ago and could play Oak Hollow on the weekends for less than $30 with a cart. It's probably a bit more now, but not too much.

There's more info at www.oakhollowgc.com and a great review at http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?44659-Oak-Hollow-Golf-Course-Review-High-Point-NC

Driver: Ping G400 Max (10.5° @ 9.9°) - Wishon S2S Red Wood R
Hybrids: Wishon EQ1-NX (20°, 24°) - Wishon S2S Red Hybrid R
Irons: Wishon EQ1-NX (6i-9i) - Aerotech SteelFiber i95 R
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 2 (46°, 52°), CBX Full-Face (58°) - Project X LZ 5.5
Putter: Ping DS72 C
Balls: Srixon Z-Star

Dallas was recently named the best city for golf (not sure if that's the exact title) and with good reason. Sure there are ultra exclusive clubs with $200k initiation fees, but there are also munis in fairly good shape and very playable. I play at all the City of Dallas munis, and they are all under $30 for a prime weekend tee time (no cart, I walk all these courses). Arlington munis are between $25-$30, again no cart. I wouldn't consider any of these courses run down by any means. Grapevine muni is slightly more, but $40 to walk a course with 27 holes, literally next to Cowboys golf club ($200/round and ranked #1 public course in DFW every year since it opened) with very comparable conditions is a steal to me.

[quote name='finitewisdom' timestamp='1399682154' post='9266221']
Oak Hollow in High Point, NC is one of Pete Dye's earlier designs. It's an affordable but challenging municipal course that's definitely worth the trip if you're nearby.

I lived in High Point several years ago and could play Oak Hollow on the weekends for less than $30 with a cart. It's probably a bit more now, but not too much.

There's more info at www.oakhollowgc.com and a great review at http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?44659-Oak-Hollow-Golf-Course-Review-High-Point-NC
[/quote]

Dude....you stole my hidden gem!!! :)

Great course. The Triad area of NC is loaded with excellent, AFFORDABLE, and walkable courses for under $35.

A couple of others are Pilot Knob (Pilot Mountain) Golf Course and Silo Run.

Pilot is open to the public during the week. Zoyzia fairways and greens; outstanding condition, rolling hills, fun and challenging. About 25-30 miles north of Winston Salem just off Highway 52.

Silo Run is the true definition of a hidden gem. About 25 miles northwest of Winston Salem off Highway 67 towards Boonville. Rolling hills, has almost a links feel to the course, challenging, and you can play for $25 and under. Not swanky, bunch of country people, handmade signs, but a course you could play regularly that would give you a game that would travel well.

Jamestown Park is another excellent course I'm sure you've played as well.

I miss living in that part of NC.

Driver: Ping G400 10.5* w/Axivcore Black 5.5 Shaft
3W: Cobra F8 w/Hazardous Black 6.0 Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway x2Hot 19*; x2Hot 22*; x2Hot 25*
Irons: Cobra King Forged TEC Black w/Recoil Shafts 6i-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM6 50/08* "F" Grind;
Vokey SM6 54/08* "M" & 58/08* "M"
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W 34" w/FlatCat Solution Putter Grip
NEO-X GPS Watch; Caddytek Push Cart
Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour/Bridgestone Tour RXS

"I'm glad to say I've come around, but if I could have one wish....
I'd like another try at 25....or was it 26."

Charlie Daniels

Mystery Valley right outside Atlanta. Definitely beloved by locals, and for good reason.

Crawfordsville Municipal Golf Course in Crawfordsville, IN. Awesome layout for a middle-of-nowhere muni, with no 2 holes alike, several really memorable ones, and 2 distinctly different 9's. And in surprisingly good shape most of the time.

Nike VR Limited 9.5 (A'hina S)
TEE CB4 Tour 15 (Whiteboard S)
Titleist 910H 17 (A'hina S)
Adams CMB 4-GW (C-Taper S)
Adams Puglielli Black 52(51), 54(55) & 60(59)
Odyssey Black Series #5

Pacific Grove Golf Links.

Fornt nine goes away from the sea and the back nine makes it way back around the ocean. The value relative to what you pay for pebble and the others is unbelievable. Great track for 60-70 bucks. Half of the course is on the ocean. Views are absurd.

http://www.playpacificgrove.com

This is my sleeper.

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

[quote name='DRGJR72' timestamp='1399694532' post='9267303']
Pacific Grove Golf Links.

Fornt nine goes away from the sea and the back nine makes it way back around the ocean. The value relative to what you pay for pebble and the others is unbelievable. Great track for 60-70 bucks. Half of the course is on the ocean. Views are absurd.

[url="http://www.playpacificgrove.com"]http://www.playpacificgrove.com[/url]

This is my sleeper.
[/quote]Absolutely second the motion on Pacific Grove Muni! Played it several years ago, and definitely want to go back there at some point down the road.

[quote name='LeftRightLeftRight' timestamp='1399662365' post='9264651']Northern California
Gleneagles in San Francisco. [url="http://www.gleneaglesgolfsf.com/more-photos/y0x6ckt3oxpto8mbn2u7d1pdxq2yl9"]http://www.gleneaglesgolfsf.com/more-photos/y0x6ckt3oxpto8mbn2u7d1pdxq2yl9[/url]
Sharp Park in Pacifica. Alister MacKenzie course!
Plumas Lakes G&CC in Olivehurst is inexpensive with good greens and an interesting layout.[/quote]

Haha I grew up playing Plumas lake and the new greens are much better.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* set to 8* UST Mamiya LINQ Purple 7F5
Callaway Epic Flash 15* set to 14* UST V2 Tour 8F5
Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 18* UST Recoil Prototype 110F5 2* Flat
Srixon 785/Z Forged DGTI X100 2* Flat
Vokey SM8 Black 50/56/62 DGTI Onyx X100/S400 2* Flat
EVNROLL ER7/Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback both have Stability Shafts and P2 Aware Tour Grips
Snell MTB-X

[quote name='PooterMcStabbin' timestamp='1399661378' post='9264569']
In Connecticut:
Fenwick $20 for 9.. really cool course.
Shennecossett: $1500 membership abuut $35 for 18. Nice Muni
[/quote]Here's a 2nd vote for shenny. Classic and practically untouched Donald Ross course. :)

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*