What's your "hidden gem" golf course?

In the columbus, ohio metropolitan area one of my favorite courses to play is blues creek golf course in marysville, ohio. The course has no website, no golfnow, the course is really cheap to play and the greens are beautiful.

[u]WITB:[/u]
Driver: Nike Vapor Fly Pro / Stiff /
15* 3 Wood: Callaway Big Bertha / Stiff /
18* Hybrid: Adams Red / Stiff /
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 4-PW / Stiff /
50* Wedge: Cleveland 588 / Wedge /
56* Wedge: Maltby Tour Grind MG / Stiff /
Putter: Nike Method Converge B1-01 / 35" /

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White Deer Golf Course in Williamsport PA, particularly the Challenge Course. Golf Digest rated it 4 stars a few years back and it is 35 to play 18 on the right day and time. Normally its around 45 which still isn't bad for the quality.

TM Tour Burner 9.5* w/NVS S
Cobra Rail-F 15.5 w/Motore S
Taylormade TP '12 3-4 Hyb w/Motore R
Taylormade R7 TP 5-PW w/ TT S300
Odyssey 2-Ball Metal-X - 35"
Taylormade Rac Black TP 52*-56* TT S300

[quote name='LeftRightLeftRight' timestamp='1399662365' post='9264651']
Northern California
Gleneagles in San Francisco. [url="http://www.gleneaglesgolfsf.com/more-photos/y0x6ckt3oxpto8mbn2u7d1pdxq2yl9"]http://www.gleneagle...bn2u7d1pdxq2yl9[/url]
Sharp Park in Pacifica. Alister MacKenzie course!
Plumas Lakes G&CC in Olivehurst is inexpensive with good greens and an interesting layout.
[/quote]I play Gleneagles pretty much weekly, and yes it is a little rough around the edges, but its character and difficulty make up for that and then some.

Mine in AZ is Aguila, a city of phoenix muni on the southern west side of phx. Think it maxes out around $45 to walk for non residents, which if you know AZ winter prices then you know that's a bargain. Really fun design, 7000 from the tips, great variety. Walking replay is free, which so includes the fun 9 hole track on site as well. Summertime you can find it under easily under $20 with cart online.

Some if the best sleepers I've played were back in the Tri-cities area of TN, specifically Greysburg Hills. 27 holes, beautiful and I think it was $45 unlimited riding in oct

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='LaBraeGolfer' timestamp='1399670418' post='9265313']
Okay, so it a little drive 45 minutes and it is very cheap like most courses in the area (We are the Myrtle Beach of the North Warren/Youngstown Ohio, so many quality courses under like $30 with a cart). I have found the conditions rival any courses in my immediate area for half the cost. Early mornings weekends it maxes out at $38 Riding, but many times it is $25 and under for 18 and a cart. I have found the course a blast to play as there is a little strategy involved, but there are a good amount of holes where you can open up the throttle and let it go. I had a hard time finding images, so I will try to respond in the future with more images.

[attachment=2216871:Fb1.jpg]

[attachment=2216877:fb2.jpg]

[attachment=2216879:fb3.jpg]

[attachment=2216881:fb4.jpg]
[/quote]

I love Flying B, what a great track and a great bargain. (Plus, there's usually some pretty decent eye candy working in the clubhouse, though the legality may be questionable ;).) I think they have GolfNow hot deals there quite often during the week for $12, or at least they used to. I don't think I've ever paid more than $25 for 18 and a cart there, weekday or weekend. There's a couple back-and-forth shooting gallery type holes on the front, but other than that it's a fantastic course. Number 10 is one of the most challenging par 4's you'll find anywhere. The green is brutal. Make a 5 and walk away happy there, with a long uphill par 3 to follow that seems to always play into the wind because of a tight chute created by the trees. Salem Hills right down the street is another great track that is usually a fantastic deal and worth checking out.

You are correct, I grew up in Cortland, there's some fantastic golf in the area and even better deals. One that not a lot are familiar with is Bronzwood up north in Kinsman. Lots of elevation and interesting holes. Just bring cash, they ding you an extra $2 or something to run your credit card.

Some other favorites of mine in the area that have great deals to be had: Pine Lakes, Oak Tree, Yankee Run (though their rates have been coming back down to earth, they still can get a little pricey IMO), Knoll Run, Candywood (I must admit, though, the last couple times I played there the condition wasn't what it used to be), Firestone Farms (GREAT track, a little bit of a drive south, though).

A course I played for the first time last year, The Greens of Greenville, was a lot of fun and very well maintained. I've only played it once, though, so not sure if I caught it on a good day or those are conditions to be expected, but well worth checking out. I think I played it for $16 with a cart in September last year.

p.s.- LaBrae, check out this thread- http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/891424-ne-ohio-players/page__pid__9268945__st__540#entry9268945

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Being from north Jersey, there aren't many cheap courses around here unless you play at a county course with a county id. One of my favorite courses however, is about an hour and a half drive from me near LBI called Ocean Gate. $35 during peak with cart and the course is absolutely stunning. Even has an island par 3 similar to 17 on Sawgrass.

I'd have to pick a little 9-hole course, Jamestown Golf Course in Jamestown, RI. The town owns the course and is leased out to a family that has turned the course around dramatically. Whenever I play other courses and get paired up with other golfers, the subject of "where do you play?" is always brought up. I always tell them that I play in a league every Friday night at Jamestown and 9 times out of 10 the reaction is "Really? Jamestown? The last time I played there, it was gross!" My initial question for that statement is "Well, how long ago was that?" and it's always answered with "Years ago!" I tell them that Jamestown has some of the best greens I've ever played on and arguably the best greens in RI.

If anyone is visiting RI and wants to play a well maintained public 9-hole course, I highly recommend Jamestown. $18 to walk 9 / add $10 to play a "back-9."

PING G Stretch 3 Wood w/ [color=#000000][b]Project X 6.0[/b][/color] Under Construction
PING G400 3 Wood w/ [color=#0000cd][b]Project X 6.0[/b][/color]
PING G400 19* Hybrid w/ [color=#000000][b]Project X 6.0[/b][/color]
Mizuno 919 Forged 5i w/ Project X 6.0
Mizuno 919 Tour 6i-PW w/ Project X 6.0
PING Glide Stealth 2.0 - bent to 51*, 55*, 59* [color=#008000][b]Dot[/b][/color] w/ Project X 6.0
Odyssey Double Wide Flow neck

Three that instantly spring to mind on this side of the pond are, in no particular order. The amazing 12 hole track on the Isle of Arran - Shiskine Golf Club. This will make you question if great golf does actually need to be 18 holes!

http://www.shiskinegolf.com/pages.php/course.html

Secondly on my list is Dunaverty Golf Club on the Mull of Kintyre. Another true hidden gem which leaves you grinning like a Cheshire cat when you finish.

http://www.dunavertygolfclub.com/

Finally I have to mention Traigh Golf Club situated on Scotland's West Coast between the village of Arisaig and the fishing port of Mallaig.

http://www.traighgolf.co.uk/

All well worth the time and effort to play and they're dirt cheap.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

[quote name='smp220' timestamp='1399696537' post='9267397']
Winnapaug in Rhode Island. Old Donald Ross course that is such an enjoyable design, it ranks in top 5 public in state despite conditioning that is not comparable to rest of the list.
[/quote]

Very fun and has some challenge.. wish they put more money into it.

Titleist Ts4 9.5* Accra TZ6 M5
Ping G400 5w Motore Speeder VC 7.3x
Mizuno HMB 3 Nippon 120x

Mizuno MP20 4-P Nippon 120x
Cleveland Zipcore 52, 56 Ti S400

Cleveland Rtx 4 60-03 Ti S400
Ping Heppler ZB3
ProV1

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1399744221' post='9269069']
Okay, so it a little drive 45 minutes and it is very cheap like most courses in the area (We are the Myrtle Beach of the North Warren/Youngstown Ohio, so many quality courses under like $30 with a cart). I have found the conditions rival any courses in my immediate area for half the cost. Early mornings weekends it maxes out at $38 Riding, but many times it is $25 and under for 18 and a cart. I have found the course a blast to play as there is a little strategy involved, but there are a good amount of holes where you can open up the throttle and let it go. I had a hard time finding images, so I will try to respond in the future with more images.

[/quote]

I love Flying B, what a great track and a great bargain. (Plus, there's usually some pretty decent eye candy working in the clubhouse, though the legality may be questionable ;).) I think they have GolfNow hot deals there quite often during the week for $12, or at least they used to. I don't think I've ever paid more than $25 for 18 and a cart there, weekday or weekend. There's a couple back-and-forth shooting gallery type holes on the front, but other than that it's a fantastic course. Number 10 is one of the most challenging par 4's you'll find anywhere. The green is brutal. Make a 5 and walk away happy there, with a long uphill par 3 to follow that seems to always play into the wind because of a tight chute created by the trees. Salem Hills right down the street is another great track that is usually a fantastic deal and worth checking out.

You are correct, I grew up in Cortland, there's some fantastic golf in the area and even better deals. One that not a lot are familiar with is Bronzwood up north in Kinsman. Lots of elevation and interesting holes. Just bring cash, they ding you an extra $2 or something to run your credit card.

Some other favorites of mine in the area that have great deals to be had: Pine Lakes, Oak Tree, Yankee Run (though their rates have been coming back down to earth, they still can get a little pricey IMO), Knoll Run, Candywood (I must admit, though, the last couple times I played there the condition wasn't what it used to be), Firestone Farms (GREAT track, a little bit of a drive south, though).

A course I played for the first time last year, The Greens of Greenville, was a lot of fun and very well maintained. I've only played it once, though, so not sure if I caught it on a good day or those are conditions to be expected, but well worth checking out. I think I played it for $16 with a cart in September last year.

p.s.- LaBrae, check out this thread- [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/891424-ne-ohio-players/page__pid__9268945__st__540#entry9268945"]http://www.golfwrx.c...40#entry9268945[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah haven't played Bronzewood, Firestone farms or Greens of Greenville yet, but I want to play the first two by the end of the season along with Boulder Creek and Olde Stonewall. How long ago did you graduate from Lakeview?

Ping G Elements Chrome 5F4
Srixon F65 17 Stock Stiff

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 Stock Recoil

Titleist AP2 716 DG SL TI S300 4-PW

Titleist SM5 Tour Chrome 50/08 F, 54/10 M and SM7 58/14 K Grind S300

Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Indy

[quote name='Fairwaybound' timestamp='1399748472' post='9269363']I'd have to pick a little 9-hole course, Jamestown Golf Course in Jamestown, RI. The town owns the course and is leased out to a family that has turned the course around dramatically. Whenever I play other courses and get paired up with other golfers, the subject of "where do you play?" is always brought up. I always tell them that I play in a league every Friday night at Jamestown and 9 times out of 10 the reaction is "Really? Jamestown? The last time I played there, it was gross!" My initial question for that statement is "Well, how long ago was that?" and it's always answered with "Years ago!" I tell them that Jamestown has some of the best greens I've ever played on and arguably the best greens in RI.

If anyone is visiting RI and wants to play a well maintained public 9-hole course, I highly recommend Jamestown. $18 to walk 9 / add $10 to play a "back-9."[/quote]Ha. Ok, I had forgotten your screen name, and now I see your avatar. :lol:

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='thegooddoctor' timestamp='1399665522' post='9264877']
1. Not run down by any means but Pekin IL ( Home of DA Points), Lick Creek around 27 to walk for out of towner for a challenging beautiful course with bent grass fairways and greens.

2. Elks Club, Pontiac IL: Well maintained beautiful bent grass course with excellent layout, half way house, great bar and the friendliest people. We play a ryder cup style event there every year and they couldnt be nicer. I believe greens fees are around 30 bucks

3. In northern indiana, the brassie 42 with a cart beautiful course with beautiful views

4. In Akron OH, 10 dollar to walk as many as you want after 4= Goodpark, very fun course with lightning greens, owner has changed since I moved away hope still kept up.
[/quote]+1 on Lick Creek. Fantastic course that can be played for a song. Love the tee shot off of #6.

DRIVER........Ping G430 Max 10K 9*
FAIRWAY........Ping G430 Max 5W
HYBRID........Ping G410 3H 
IRONS........Ping i210 4-U
WEDGES........Ping Glide 3.0 54* SS, 58* Eye2
PUTTER........Odyssey White Hot Versa Twelve-S
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/955611-hawk3y3s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Unfortunately, living in southern Ontario where our golf season can run from 8 months if we are very lucky, 7 months on average, and 6 months in unlucky years, yes there are cheap green fees to be had, but you are going to be playing what can only be called a cow pasture. For me, the course I consider to be a hidden gen in the Greater Toronto Area among public courses is Lakeview. It's a municipal course and costs between $60 and $70 CDN to play prime time on weekends walking, but it's well worth it. It's a classic course that dates back to 1907 on its current site, and has quite a bit of history to it including a couple of Canadian Opens, the last of which was won by Tommy Armour in 1934. Anyhow, pretty much all of the other courses in the area with this kind of pedigree are private, which is why I always enjoy playing this there - I just find mature courses like this have more character than the newer designs. It's always well maintained, has some really interesting holes, and while not long, is a great test.

A couple of my favorite hidden gems are...

1. Ocean Dunes, Florence, OR - This course gets overlooked with Sand Pines in the same town, and of course with Bandon just down the coast. But, Ocean Dunes is a lot of fun. Before Bandon ever existed, I spent a lot of golf weekends in Florence alternating between Sand Pines and Ocean Dunes. Always a great time.

2. Kukuiolono Golf Course, Kauai, HI - When I go to Kauai, I obviously play Princeville and Poipu Bay. But, Kukuiolono is a great change of pace. It's a little 9-hole course that costs less than $10. The condition of the course is not good. But, the views are incredible. And you can take the whole family (if you're so inclined).

3. Chaska Town Course, Chaska, MN - Its been a while since I've been here, so it may not really be hidden anymore. But, this is a great layout with very similar topography to Hazeltine just up the street. And it's much easier to get a tee time than Hazeltine.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

In Pacifica CA where I live there is a MacKenzie course that is unbelievable! Sharp Park. Unfortunately the city of San Francisco doesn't maintain or manage it problerly..... For the life of me I can't understand why the city of SF dumped it's money info Harding Park rather than restoring this national treasure!

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Diamondback golf club in Haines City Florida. Just off the beaten path of Orlando but a phenomenal track for under thirty bucks with a cart. Played there on a whim during a spring break back in the college days flew around in three hours and fired a nice little 70. Definitely worth the drive out there.

Epic Flash Driver 3 wood
Apex Pro 3-PW MD 50 + 56PM Knox putter
Snell, B330, Chrome soft

Woodland Hills Golf Course in Cartersville, GA. It is a shorter course (par 71) and the 4 par 5's are birdie holes if you have decent length. The par 3's however, I would put against most courses I have played. ~170 uphill with OB left and a massive dropoff right, ~135 downhill with a creek running along the edge of the green, ~225 with slopes off both sides going into the wood or into the pond, ~170 completely over water, ~175 which is their only basic par 3 with no real danger unless you spray it wide right.

About $30 most days to play and the staff is very friendly.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

[quote name='sgniwder99' timestamp='1399693257' post='9267195']
Mystery Valley right outside Atlanta. Definitely beloved by locals, and for good reason.

Crawfordsville Municipal Golf Course in Crawfordsville, IN. Awesome layout for a middle-of-nowhere muni, with no 2 holes alike, several really memorable ones, and 2 distinctly different 9's. And in surprisingly good shape most of the time.
[/quote]

+1 for Crawfordsville Muni. I played a high school tournament there every year and it was one of my favorites because of how perfect the greens were.

[quote name='painicus' timestamp='1399733121' post='9268483']
White Deer Golf Course in Williamsport PA, particularly the Challenge Course. Golf Digest rated it 4 stars a few years back and it is 35 to play 18 on the right day and time. Normally its around 45 which still isn't bad for the quality.
[/quote]

Did a demo day there the other week. Great little course. Wayne Mahonski (head pro) is a nice guy.

I'll throw another few central PA courses on the list:
My employer, Penn State Golf Courses white course. Go on our website and Monday through Thursday 18 with a cart will only run you $28. Willie Park Jr design from 1923. Wonderful little "not so hidden" course.

Where I was before that at Lewistown CC. Semi-public country club in Lewistown PA. Donald Ross design.

MountainView (formally Elks) in Boalsberg Pa. Fun course with lightning fast greens.

Pilgrims Oak near Lancaster pa.

WITB 2015:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha, -1 D setting, Speeder 565 S
3WD: Cobra Biocell+ 12.5 degrees, Matrix Black tie
2HY: Cobra Biocell, 16.5D setting, Stock shaft
4/5i: Cobra Biocell, True Temper s+ shaft
6-PW: Biocell+, Dynamic Gold S200
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

[quote name='LaBraeGolfer' timestamp='1399760780' post='9270003'][quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1399744221' post='9269069']

[/quote]

p.s.- LaBrae, check out this thread- [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/891424-ne-ohio-players/page__pid__9268945__st__540#entry9268945"]http://www.golfwrx.c...40#entry9268945[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah haven't played Bronzewood, Firestone farms or Greens of Greenville yet, but I want to play the first two by the end of the season along with Boulder Creek and Olde Stonewall. How long ago did you graduate from Lakeview?[/quote]

I actually graduated from Mathews HS in 1993. I'm an old dude, man :)

Sent from my iPhone using the GolfWRX Anti-Productivity App

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

[quote name='LaBraeGolfer' timestamp='1399760780' post='9270003']
[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1399744221' post='9269069']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah haven't played Bronzewood, Firestone farms or Greens of Greenville yet, but I want to play the first two by the end of the season along with Boulder Creek and Olde Stonewall. How long ago did you graduate from Lakeview?
[/quote]

And, get out and play all three of them as soon as you can.Bronzwood is the first course I ever played golf on, so I am slightly biased there. Firestone Farms, once you play it you'll be anxious to get back and play it again. Boulder and Olde Stonewall- better start stuffing the piggy bank for them. I personally find Boulder a little gimmicky, but it is a great track. If you can find a deal there it's a great round. Olde Stonewall, I've never played. Mostly because it's $100+ and you'll most likely never find a rate lower, but more likely much higher.

One course I forgot is Reserve Run. That's another one that has deals to be had and is a fun track.

[quote name='Lundingolfer' timestamp='1399834778' post='9274217']
Shiskine GC
Machrie GC
Scarista GC
Isle of Seil GC
Askernish GC

All in Scotland.........................
[/quote]

Which Machrie (as if I really need to ask!) Arran or Islay!!!!

Heading over to Machrie in October for 4 days golf. And a malt or two!

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping: