Nike TA2 SPN golf ball review

Bag Chatter

By R Hetzel

frontta2.jpgI am a really big fan of the Nike Pro Platinum ball, but not a big fan of the price.  I recently gave the Nike Tour Accuracy 2/SPN ball a go and at $14.99 a dozen I figured they would at least be worth a try. 

The Nike TA2/SPN was priced 50% off which makes one assume that they are probably being discontinued and are on their way out to make way for newer offerings. In fact, the Nike TA2/SPN is no longer listed on Nike golf's website.<!--more-->

ta2spnbox.jpg

This is definitely one of best, if not the best, ball you can play at this price point. The Nike TA2/SPN offers nice, explosive distance off both the driver and the irons and ample spin on wedge shots. I had no problem holding the greens at Tobacco Road (NC) with full wedge and 9 iron shots into the greens. These will even bite and back up a bit on command. They even felt pretty good while putting, a firm ball, but not at all considered hard. I could definitely place the TA2/SPN into play, especially during warmer temperatures. These golf balls are what the old Bridgestone e5 really strives to be. They were just as durable as the e5 as well, which is saying a lot. The old e5 may have been ever so slightly longer off the tee, but the TA2 SPN really performed much better inside 100 yards and was superb around the greens where the e5 has it’s shortcomings.

ta2spnball.jpg

According to Nike, “they built the TA2 SPN ball for players who want to sustain optimum length and exploit scoring opportunities with higher spin and control. The TA2 SPN offers a spin mix of length and action, adding accuracy to tee shots, shaping ability with the irons, and soft action around the greens.” The TA2/SPN offered an accurate ball flight and was very predictable, no surprises here.

closeupball.jpg

If you are willing to give up a slight amount of distance in order to keep from lightening up your wallet when buying a dozen Nike Pro Platinums, try some of the TA2/SPN balls while they are still available.

View the full article

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about trying some of these, but then changed my mind when I realized they were being discontinued. Why try (and potentially fall in love) with a ball that you won't be able to get in a few months? I'd rather play something that will give me consistency now, and in a few months, and next year.

• 2 months later...

Played these all fall, unreal deal and no remorse when it disappeared under leaves, or if i sawed off some cover with a wedge shot. I found it to be long enough, and fantastic around the green. I spend many, many shots around the green, so that was most important to me.

I have a couple of boxes left and will have no problem putting them in play this year.

Thanks for the review, enjoy.

These balls have been off Nike's current model list for quite some time haven't they? I used them a lot back when they were part of Nike's lineup, but there were other very good mid-priced balls available at the time.

But just last weekend they're still showing up at Golf Galaxy. These don't really look like boxes of old inventory that's being cleared out, and no question they're manufactured by Bridgestone. It's a great ball for the price, but you have to wonder what the strategy is for Nike and Bridgestone on this one.

Nike must have found a couple of pallets in a warehouse somewhere

I absolutely LOVE this ball, and was heartbroken last year when I couldn't find it anymore. Last year I wandered aimlessly around the fairways and greens attempting to find a ball to duplicate its price/performance. I went through AD 333's, HX Hots, HX Tour, Ignite, before finally settling on the NXT Tour, but it never performed quite as well for me as the TA2 SPN.

Now that the NXT is pushing $30 a box, I was once again looking for a new ball. I had a list made and was even contemplating spending the $20 for a ball fitting.

Much to my surprise when I walked into Golf Galaxy the other day they had a stack of them. I bought two boxes and am now feverishly attempting a computation to figure out just how many boxes I need to buy to get me through this year(and possibly the next)

If I could find them at $15/doz. I'd buy a few boxes for certain. Are they the best ball I've ever hit? Perhaps not, but I can't imagine a better ball at that price. The closest would be the AD333, but they're more than that most places and I don't think they're quite as good. I personally haven't seen any TA2 SPN's anywhere since 2006.

Golfsmith.com and Golfgalaxy.com right now, $14.99 per dozen.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Even at $27 for the Nike One's, these are still about half the price. I've stocked up and bought 10 boxes for the next one to two seasons.

If you read the last issue of Golf Digest, you'll find a short article in their balls hot list section talking about how expensive it is to manufacture ball with covers made of urethane. That is the main reason why the premium balls cost around $40/dozen. Usually, the value balls will utilize the surlyn material for the cover, which is much cheaper and quicker to manufacture.

These Nike TA2/SPN balls uses the urethane material; which makes them great to work with inside 100 yards. Even the Bridgestone e5+/e6+ uses the surlyn material.

Go out and grab some more if you can; they will probably run out in most places in another month or two. If you look around on eBay or some of the internet retailers, you can probalby find them for $14/box shipped with no tax.

What other good balls can you buy for $14/box in the market right now? Anything decent will cost you at least $25.

Even at $27 for the Nike One's, these are still about half the price. I've stocked up and bought 10 boxes for the next one to two seasons.

If you read the last issue of Golf Digest, you'll find a short article in their balls hot list section talking about how expensive it is to manufacture ball with covers made of urethane. That is the main reason why the premium balls cost around $40/dozen. Usually, the value balls will utilize the surlyn material for the cover, which is much cheaper and quicker to manufacture.

These Nike TA2/SPN balls uses the urethane material; which makes them great to work with inside 100 yards. Even the Bridgestone e5+/e6+ uses the surlyn material.

Go out and grab some more if you can; they will probably run out in most places in another month or two. If you look around on eBay or some of the internet retailers, you can probalby find them for $14/box shipped with no tax.

What other good balls can you buy for $14/box in the market right now? Anything decent will cost you at least $25.

I totally agree, which is why I have been buying a dozen every 2 weeks during the winter....a great deal on a great golf ball....

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

I tried these when they first came out and couldnt stop spinning them off of greens. Id hit 50 yard wedge shots that spun 20 ft. Def good if you need help putting spin on the ball from my experience. Not good if you put a lot of spin on it already.

Yeah, the TA2-LNG was the ball for higher spin players. I used it for a little bit back then, looking for a mid-priced ball. It was a good ball, and would be an especially good ball at the prices we're talking about here. But I'm with you, I spun the TA2-SPN way too much.

Titleist TSR2 10*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 15*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 18*, GD IZ
Titleist T100s, 4-GW, PX
Vokey SM9 54, 58
Scotty Super Rat 1
Pro V1x