What's your "hidden gem" golf course?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green Acres Golf Course in Titusville, Pa. $8 for 9 holes. Its a 9 hole course, that is working on 18. $14 gets you 18 walking.

I'll be giving the course in the article a try in December when I go back to Oahu. Last time there I played MCB Hawaii Klipper Course at Koneohe Bay and the course at Hickam AFB. Both nice courses, but Klipper takes the cake. Beautiful course. Especially for what I paid.. But this course on the North Shore will get some play around the holidays too!

Taylormade RBZ 9.5
Taylormade RBZ 3 wood 15*
Titleist 712 U 2 iron S300
Mizuno MP-54 3-pw S300
Scotty Cameron Futura X
Mizuno R-12 56, 60

Wilmington (NC) Municipal. At least it was in the late 1990s when I lived there. A classic Donald Ross that got overlooked bc of the high end courses in the area, had a great local following as you could walk it for $10 if you had a city address. Little humpback greens, tightly mowed fairways, risk reward routing. It was in great shape at the time because they got a grant from the Donald Ross Society to restore the bunkering and it got little play during that time.

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

I realise it is a long way to travel for most of you but New Zealand is replete with interesting and well maintained golf courses that cost next to nothing to play.

I played the Te Anau course in the South Island a few years ago. It's on a high plateau right at the end of a glacial lake, surrounded by mountains. I was the only person on the course and it was magnificent.

I also played the Te Puia Springs course in the North Island whilst on holiday a while back. It's on the East Coast which is the most sparsely populated area in NZ outside of the National Parks. The course is at the end of a long gravel road and it's privately owned and maintained. A beautiful little course in the middle of nowhere.

My hidden gem is a 9-hole little slice of heaven. Aetna Springs GC, Pope Valley, CA arguably the oldest golf course west of the Mississippi. It hasn't been in continuous operation so it gets thrown under the bus alot but if anyone has played it, you'd know that it is so far off the beaten path it makes Bandon Dunes look like Central Park. No signs at all, you'd drive right past it if you weren't looking and you can't see it from the road, it blends in so seamlessly. Tom Doak's team did a fabulous job in restoring the course and the conditions are exceptional.

It's so out of character with the surroundings, just rolling hills of nothing, old run down barns and you drive up to a simple structure. Yet the inside is so clean, modern and spotless, the bathrooms are like the Four Seasons. It's really weird. They have plans for a resort and restaurant but I don't know if they still don't serve any food. Only open Wed-Sun.

"Pro" in the shop told us to use hole 9 as a warmup since there is no range. Love it. Just an amazing place to play golf. No one else is around, we saw one other group the whole day. We just went round and round and round again. 36 holes in total, never got bored because so many options to play the holes. Wind kicks up in the afternoon to add more challenge.

[quote name='Zach Heusser' timestamp='1399775097' post='9271217']
In Pacifica CA where I live there is a MacKenzie course that is unbelievable! Sharp Park. Unfortunately the city of San Francisco doesn't maintain or manage it problerly..... For the life of me I can't understand why the city of SF dumped it's money info Harding Park rather than restoring this national treasure!
[/quote]
+1 from me. I played there a few times when I lived in the Bay Area, a really super layout and a pity that the city aren't maintaining it properly.

From what I've read it was lucky to be saved from environmental issues.

George Wright in Boston. $35-$45 depending on residency and time of play but it's an old Donald Ross. It was rough for a while but over the last few years it's been making a great comeback. I don't get to play it enough but it's one you could play every day and be happy.

Titliest 915 D2 9.5* Diamana S+ 70x
TEE CB Pro 16.5* Aldila NV 75x
Adams Pro 20* Aldila NV 85hs
MP 15 4-6 KBS Tour Stiff Hardstepped
MP 4 7-P KBS Tour Stiff Hardstepped
SM6 52*, 56* and 60*
Scotty Cameron GoLo 34"

For me my hidden course is Ocean Dunes in Florence, Oregon near the beach. It is often over shadowed by Sandpines which is about five minutes away, but this track is my favorite. It is on the dunes and is extremely narrow yet very forgiving in spots. In the afternoon when the wind comes up it can be extremely challenging. I love the signs that say avoid looking in the bushes for balls because of bears. Just a cool classic links style course that I could play all day long.

Driver:  Titleist TSi3 9.0° w/ Ozik HD6    ||  FW:  Titleist TSi3 15° w/ DI-7

Hybrids:  Titleist TSi2 w/ DI-85 18° & 21°  ||  Irons:  Mizuno MP-225 5-GW w/ Nippon Peening Orange

Wedges:  Vokey SM9 54°, 58° w/ Nippon Peening Blue ||  Putter: Mizuno M Craft  VI

Ball: TP5x  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain

My hidden gem is Rock Hollow Golf Club in Peru, Indiana. [url="http://www.rockhollowgolf.com/"]http://www.rockhollowgolf.com/[/url] Rates are $40 for 18 and that includes cart. It is a fun and challenging layout that has always been in great shape. The team over there has always been very nice.

Odyssey Tank #7
PING Glide Wedges 54, 58
PING G15 5-UW KBS C-Taper Lite
PING G25 Hybrid 20 & 23
PING K15 3W
PING G20 Driver

Triggs Memorial in Providence, a Donald Ross course, is really pretty good and well maintained too. It has some rough edges for a muni but it's pretty good overall with great hole layouts. Another course would be Blissful Meadows in Uxbridge, MA. Good variety of holes with some nice elevation changes as well to keep it interesting.

I live in the Los Angeles area and since everyone knows the courses here they aren't really hidden, but the few that stand out to me, that are worth the drive if you've never gone are:

1. Sterling Hills in Camarillo. This course to me feels like a Web.com tour course. Requires some thought, has some fun holes and uses the natrual sloping terrain well.
2. Empire Lakes in Rancho Cucamonga: It used to be great back when they held the Nationwide tour event. It's actually operated by the same family that does Sterling Hills. Great layout and can be challenging.
3. Oak Valley in Beaumont: Phenomenal track that was a PGA Qualifying school stop a few years back. It's extremely fair but also tough. So play smart and shoot a good score on a difficult rating.
4. Saboba Springs in Hemet / San Jacinto: They have/had a Web.com tour stop there. It's a great course that has a different feel for the area. Tall trees, out in the middle of nowhere drapped by a gigantic mountain where you can trace your ball through it's entire flight against the mountain backdrop. Can get hot! there, so watch out.
Honorable Mentions: Everyone has heard of Rustic Canyon, it's cool I like it. Not the hidden gem it once was. Olivas Links is a different style course for the area too. In Oxnard, it's a flat links style and will require shots you don't usually play. Grab a flat of strawberries on your way home when you pass the fruit stands. River Ridge in Ventura...you get a free round 2weeks around your birthday. First 6 holes on the Lakes course are new designs and interesting. I've putted on greens rolling around a 13 there before! 18 is a 210y island par 3 into the wind, bring your A game or you'll be wet. Play in late July (My birthday time!) and see the Dallas Cowboys practicing off the 7th & 9th holes. Maybe bump into Romo in the afternoon.

I grew up in Ohio and there are already a lot of posted gems in this thread but I'll add a few.
1. Little Mountain CC in Painseville. WIth a little more upkeep and length added this is a tour caliber course. Superior to Quail Hollow resort IMO and half the cost. Waffle house for breakfast anyone?
2. Whispering Woods Erie, PA. Newer course, lots of trees. A fun challenging track with some easy holes and some hard holes. If you hit it long and straight you're golden. Crooked shots beware.
3. Peak n Peek in Western New York. It's about an hour from where I lived in Ohio (Ashtabula Area.) But they did hose a Nationwide event for a long time. Often during the US Open week so a lot of players who didn't make the Open played there instead. The course is a great layout. It's a ski resort in the winder so a few holes are like roller coasters. It is a very fair course and can be tamed if you can shape the ball. Always is superb condition.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I've got two worth sharing in my area. Both well-maintained 18-hole courses with great staffs and cliental :

Callaway Paradym X 10.5  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T22 RAW 53/57 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

I used to play a track in East Tennessee called Rarity Pointe. It had just opened, had a bunch of plans for neighborhood golf communities and a big fancy clubhouse, however, times got tough and they just operated the course out of a small temporary building. It was an awesome track and could be played CHEAP. Definitely a hidden gem. Don't know what the going rate is there now, but it was definitely worth the 25-30 minute drive from home as it was never busy and always in great shape.

[attachment=2220773:rarity.jpg]

**Edit - Looks like the course was renamed Wind River. Still looks like they have decent rates though!

PING G30 9* w/Tour 65x
TM RBZ Tour 3 12* w/ Fubuki K 80x
Adams Super 9031 19* w/ White Tie 8x
Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW w/ C-Taper S
Scratch 1018 51* -Vokey TVD 55*/60*
Bettinardi BB-27 35"

I appreciate this article and all the good references for hidden gems (I'll have to take note of some of these for when I'm travelling). "Hidden Gems" are like mini-vacations for me and my brother. We'll readily drive over an hour (or more) to get away and usually the pace of play makes up for the drive time. In the North TX area, I'd point out Sugar Tree to the West of DFW and Links at Land's End to the East of DFW. Get away from busy local courses and get more enjoyment out of this great game!

My favorite Beach trip gem is Hombre golf course Panama City Beach, Florida. Great course but very tough. They host q-school qualifiers there. I have played for as little as $25 with cart.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

[quote name='thegooddoctor' timestamp='1399665522' post='9264877']
1. Not run down by any means but Pekin IL ( Home of DA Points), Lick Creek around 27 to walk for out of towner for a challenging beautiful course with bent grass fairways and greens.

2. Elks Club, Pontiac IL: Well maintained beautiful bent grass course with excellent layout, half way house, great bar and the friendliest people. We play a ryder cup style event there every year and they couldnt be nicer. I believe greens fees are around 30 bucks

3. In northern indiana, the brassie 42 with a cart beautiful course with beautiful views

4. In Akron OH, 10 dollar to walk as many as you want after 4= Goodpark, very fun course with lightning greens, owner has changed since I moved away hope still kept up.
[/quote]

I would 2nd: Elks Club, Pontiac IL Great course on your way up or down I-55 from Chicago to St. Louis

My hidden gem isn't totally unknown or anything but it's certainly a gem. Flatirons Golf Course, where Hale Irwin played back in the day, was my home course in college. For Denver and Boulder areas, it's one of the cheapest, yet has a great, tough layout, with awesome greens that always run fast and true.

[url="https://bouldercolorado.gov/parks-rec/flatirons-golf-course"]https://bouldercolorado.gov/parks-rec/flatirons-golf-course[/url]

[attachment=2221911:flatirons.jpg]

[attachment=2221913:flatirons2.jpg]

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

Key Colony Golf Course in Key Colony Village Florida. On Marathon Key. Par 27 9 hole course. Longest hole being 130 yards. $8 to play $3 to rent clubs which consist of a putter pitching wedge and a 9 iron. A 7 iron is available for short hitters. If there's nobody at the counter, go play your round and pay when you're done. Fun little course.

When I moved from Atlanta to Birmingham several years ago, all I heard about was the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail. Not the say that the trail isn't full of great courses, but these are worth a look too.

Farm Links - this place is owned and managed by agronomist.
[url="http://pursellfarms.com/golf/"]http://pursellfarms.com/golf/[/url]

Horse Creek Golf - cheap, nice municipal course [url="http://www.horsecreekgolf.com/"]http://www.horsecreekgolf.com/[/url]

If you're in metro Atlanta and you're looking for a nice place off the beaten path, check out the Hard Labor Creek State Park in Rutledge, Ga. It's worth the drive, or at least it was a few years ago when I last played there. [url="http://gastateparks.org/HardLaborCreek"]http://gastateparks.org/HardLaborCreek[/url]

Looking for the MN courses mentioned so far... looks like the [b]Chaska Town Course[/b] and [b]Bellwood Oaks[/b] have been mentioned thus far.

I'll throw a couple more out here: I really enjoy some of the Minneapolis city courses, especially [b]Hiawatha[/b], [b]Francis A. Gross[/b] and [b]C[/b][b]olumbia[/b]. I also like [b]Shamrock [/b]in Corcoran. Not a difficult golf course by any stretch of the imagination, but it's wide open and fun and cheap.

Ping G425 Max, 12* set to 13.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 65 R
Ping G425 Max 5 wood, 17.5* set to 18.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 75 S

Titleist 818h1 23* set to 24*, Project X Evenflow Blue S

Ping i210 4-UW, Nippon Modus 105S, Black Dot
Titleist Vokey SM7 54* 14F, 58* 12D Wedge Flex
Evnroll ER6B

Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='fishstix94' timestamp='1399992615' post='9286111']
links course and has a lot of tees
[/quote]
Isn't that an oxy moron?

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1400004333' post='9287503']
[/quote]
Isn't that an oxy moron?
[/quote]Who are you calling a moron? :lol:

(Oxymoron... 1 word)

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1400006977' post='9287807'][quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1400004333' post='9287503']
[/quote]
Isn't that an oxy moron?

(Oxymoron... 1 word)

--kC[/quote]
Haha tees not trees..

[quote name='fishstix94' timestamp='1400007141' post='9287841']
[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1400006977' post='9287807'][quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1400004333' post='9287503']
[/quote]
Isn't that an oxy moron?

(Oxymoron... 1 word)

--kC[/quote]
Haha tees not trees..
[/quote]
Haha, I totally thought it said trees! Nice.

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1399857465' post='9276255']
Wilmington (NC) Municipal. At least it was in the late 1990s when I lived there. A classic Donald Ross that got overlooked bc of the high end courses in the area, had a great local following as you could walk it for $10 if you had a city address. Little humpback greens, tightly mowed fairways, risk reward routing. It was in great shape at the time because they got a grant from the Donald Ross Society to restore the bunkering and it got little play during that time.
[/quote]

Just FYI the course is being worked on right now. Mainly the greens. Changing to one of the new bermuda strains and enlarging many of them. Great course at a great price.

Driver: Ping G400 10.5* w/Axivcore Black 5.5 Shaft
3W: Cobra F8 w/Hazardous Black 6.0 Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway x2Hot 19*; x2Hot 22*; x2Hot 25*
Irons: Cobra King Forged TEC Black w/Recoil Shafts 6i-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM6 50/08* "F" Grind;
Vokey SM6 54/08* "M" & 58/08* "M"
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W 34" w/FlatCat Solution Putter Grip
NEO-X GPS Watch; Caddytek Push Cart
Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour/Bridgestone Tour RXS

"I'm glad to say I've come around, but if I could have one wish....
I'd like another try at 25....or was it 26."

Charlie Daniels