New iGolf Neo Model

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corruption problem resolved and the unit is an absolute joy to play with. Have used 5-6 times now after fix on a number of different courses. The ability to walk a course and pull out the Neo from your pocket and find accuate distances really adds to the golfing experience and yes it does save strokes! If the course you play or plan to play is in the Igolf database I recommend this with no reservation.

If on the other hand your desired course is not in the database tread carefully. Granted you can always map the course yourself but my experience of asking IGolf to map a course has been very poor. Their basic response was we'll get to it when we get to it. The support site gives the impression that a mapping request will take a few days. This is bogus. Igolf has been non commital as to when my request will be completed and have not responded to my email questions from 2 weeks ago.

This does not take away from the unit itself but be careful if you anticipate asking Igolf to add courses. You may be disappointed by their delay in responding.

Will I be able to easily notice I have a corruption porblem once I get my unit? How did you go about fixing it?

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

My symptoms were I was unable to read any screen beyond the basic screen that showed info for distance to "front", "middle" and "back" of hole. Other than the basic screen all the other screens for a hole were garbled.

I resolved by returning the unit to Igolf for repair. I suspect I may have been among the first to buy the unit so if you purchased recently I would expect that you would not experience the problem. Though I did not do it myself there may be something in place that allows you to download a software patch from the support site. If you are still concerned would suggest you contact Igolf support

Great discussion board, but now I am confused. I have been waiting to purchase a GPS for the last year and I finally found this great thread along with comparison chart. Last month I was all set to purchase a Sonocaddie for $259 at Best buy, but now I have been checking on the Igolf neo and cant decide. I want a reliable GPS that shows basic yardage and hazards and does not cost an arm and leg. Can you guys give me a clear cut winner. Thanks.

Great now I am really confused, just read this on reuters about the upro, thoughts anyone.

The uPro outperforms every device on the market with its dynamic color

imagery, detailed course lay-outs, video flyovers and aerial views of every

hole on the course. In addition, the uPro allows the golfer to get exact

distances to and from any point on the course. Want to know how far you can

hit the ball and still lay-up in front of a hazard? The uPro will show you.

Want to go for it? The uPro will tell you how far you have to carry the

hazard.

"The uPro's simple operation and sleek, razor-thin profile makes it an

irresistible electronic device for any golfer," said Balardeta. "We offer

aerial photography of thousands of courses nationwide and there is no

membership fee."

One of the outstanding features of the uPro is Pro Mode. In Pro

Mode, uPlay's patent pending SmartView technology automatically

generates the proper views of the course based on a golfer's current location

and updates those views appropriately as you move on the golf course. Three

different views allow the player to plan out the perfect shot. Unlike other

GPS units or lasers, Pro Mode gives a golfer all the distances they need

all in one screen. Scale accurate measurements are used to measure to and

from any point on the golf course, even the outskirts of the rough.

These two things don't go together!!!

I want a reliable GPS that shows basic yardage and hazards and does not cost an arm and leg.

The uPro outperforms every device on the market with its dynamic color

imagery, detailed course lay-outs, video flyovers and aerial views of every

hole on the course.

So which is it? "Basic yardages and hazards", or dynamic color imagery, video flyovers, and aerial views?

Also, the website does not say "FREE" subscription, it says "no subscription". As in, you pay for each course you want to download. And if you want the video flyover, it's more money.

Going back to what I found out for myself, was that I didn't want to mess with my device on the course. I don't want to look at it anymore than necessary to get my number--"How far?" That eliminated the Guru (you have to map your own courses to get custom points, or even map your own greens), and that made the SkyCaddie the best option, but also the most expensive. I decided that the Neo was the perfect blend of function and price for my preferences.

I think they do go together, I checked on the sonocaddie last year and was willing to buy it at $300, then I read about the Igolf neo ( mainly your review of it, which was what has swayed me towards the neo), however, after learning that the upro will be available in April of 2008 it makes me wonder. If I was willing to spend $300 on a unit, would it make more sense to spend an extra $99 on the upro which looks to be the future.

How accurate are your yardages? I have the Igolf caddie II and I tried to map a course myself and I was getting some slightly off yardages but I had stabilizer on and the WAAS on ( I dont know if your familiar with that) and my yardages were slightly off compared to what the yardage said on the fairway marker and when I walked it off it was slightly off too so I dont know. But how accurate is your device? I dont know if I just want to get a membership and see if that makes any difference

If I have understood right, you can use Caddie courses on the Neo. If so, how are the measure points selected for the Neo, since it can only handle 4 points compared to 8 for the Caddie?

Most (all?) pre-mapped courses I've tried don't even have the four points loaded in. Most of them only have 2 or 3. I think the additional points in the Caddie are for you to add your own, they don't come pre-mapped.

So far, the SkyCaddie has the most detail in their pre-mapped courses. The SureShot GPS wasn't bad either. But I've found that on all but a very few holes (like 2 or 3 out 100 holes) would even benefit from having more than four points.

Based on this review, I just purchased a Neo. I ordered from igolf directly and it was promptly mailed to me. I've downloaded some courses and learned how to use it, but I'm waiting for more snow to melt before I can try it. Unfortunately, the closest course that is open has not been mapped by igolf. I've requested that course to be mapped, we'll see what happens.

I chose this unit because it of its size, ease of use and especially for the fact that I can download up to 100 courses in a year for essentially 35 cents each and I then own them and can store them on my laptop. Plus, I can edit the standard points and add new ones, if desired. The concept of having a gps that will not work when you do not have an active subscription simply does not appeal to me and is a deal killer. I do not need extra capability, such as scoring, so for a unit like this, the KISS principle works for me. I will be interested in looking at the uPro when it comes out, but would rather wait at least a year until the bugs are worked out and the unit is proven. Given that time period before I would even consider updating to an unknown replacement, spending $185 total right now for a Neo and 100 courses that will never expire makes the Neo the best choice for me. Thank you for your great review!

Based on this review, I just purchased a Neo.

Dang, iGolf should be paying me a commission or something!

Anyway, I have an important update for you Neo owners. Today, I let my Neo run completely down on the batteries to see how long it would go. I started the round with 40%, but it did not make it all the way through. No big deal, but what surprised me was that when I recharged the batteries back to 100% and turned it on--the unit is wiped to factory defaults!!!

It's easy enough to load your courses back into the unit, but if you happen to have any custom points mapped PLEASE be sure to use the "backup" feature of the iGolf software so you do not lose your points.

Just a heads up...

Interesting. I was currently trying to run down the batteries to zero on my new Neo when I read your post. I am just leaving it on and keeping it here on my desk (i.e. not using it) and monitoring it as time goes by. I wanted to see what kind of life they have and if there are any issues recharging. I am at 8+ hours and there is still 60% of the battery left. I have loaded some courses but have no custom data on it, so it will not be an issue if it is wiped. Thanks for the heads up.

As of right now, I'm at 14 hours with it sitting with the back light off and showing the satellite connection page and if I go to the battery page, it is still showing 50%. I wonder if it uses that much more power while actually using it on a golf course? Maybe switching pages a lot drains the battery more than just being turned on? I'm sure the back light would certainly use more power, but just sitting on the satellite page and not moving it is pretty miserly with power. FWIW, my office is in the loft in my home and I am getting at least 8 satellites and the connection is described as "strong" inside the house. I'll wait until it shuts off from a dead battery, probably some time tomorrow.

Steve - The Neo went 16 hours before the battery went to zero and the unit shut off. Even after dying, the unit still restarted. I verified that the battery display was, indeed, zero. I checked the courses I had loaded and they were there, though the usual "9999" distance (i.e. I'm more than 10k yards to the course) were gone. Then, I realized that without enough power, no satellites were being picked up, so no distances. After recharging, the courses are working fine and it did not return to factory default. I had loaded no custom points, but all of the f/c/b points as well as any alternate points loaded by iGolf were still there. I did not lose anything running the battery to zero, so I could not duplicate the problem you had.

I am still waiting for my Neo and trying to plan mapping my course. Can you enter the custom points (LFB etc) at home to make the actual registration on the course quicker?

L/F/B are already in place. You can add the other custom points ahead of time, and then "update" the points when you are on the course. There is a list of abbreviations you can use in the Neo, as well as an online tool called Filemaker that will let you edit point names.

Ok, I've been following this discussion because i am currently in the market for a GPS. I am between the Skycaddie 2.5 and the neo. The only GPS i have ever used are the ones mounted on to the golf cart. Does these work similarly in the manner that no matter where you are standing you will get the exact yardage? If i am within 100 yards of the green will it give me the exact yardage? If i end up 20-30 yards left of the green will i get the yardage? Also another big factor is fairway points. Does the Neo include fairway points? I find this very useful especially if I'm am trying to lay up or I'm playing a dogleg and i need to know the distance to a certain bunker in the vicinity of where the fairway starts turning. Does the Neo have these capabilities and if so are most of the important fairway points marked already?

the iGolf only comes with F/C/B of the green... you can certainly add up to 6, (i think) other points...

i have the Caddie II and i think it's going to make a huge difference in my game just cause i don't have to scramble around for yardages... i do think that walking off the course before trusting the thing 100% is a good idea though...

The IGolf always comes with f/c/b of the greens, but most of the courses I have looked at also have several other points per hole (usually end of fairway or bunkers, etc.) as well. Besides f/c/b, you can have up to 4 other custom points available on the Neo, including the other points that iGolf adds. Any or all of the 4 custom points can be set by you, including being able to delete the custom points that iGolf includes and replace with your own, including lay up points.

Shooter - The Neo (and most? other units) map fixed points (f/c/b) around the green and the unit will give distances to those fixed points, so it will always show the distance irrespective of where you are to those fixed points. Those units, like the Neo, use fixed points for the front and back of the greens from the perspective of the center of the fairway, so you need to understand that the distance is from where you are standing to those fixed points. They are mapped as if you were approaching from the center of the fairway, so they may not necessarily be the absolute closest and farthest points on the green if you are not in the center of the fairway. The center of the green should be accurate wherever you are. Some other (more expensive) golf GPS units map the perimeter of the greens, so the distance to the front or back should be the distance to the closest and farthest points of the green relative to where you are standing. Knowing that and for my purposes (especially owning the course GPS files that do not have a time stamp that will cause the GPS files to be unusable when the subscription expires), the Neo is the most cost effective unit that provides what I require. YMMV, of course.

The Neo maps the front/center/back of the green as fixed points. The front/back fixed points are mapped from the perspective of the center of the fairway. The center point of the green is just the center of the green and is not dependent upon approach direction. You will always get the distance to those fixed points irrespective of where you are standing. If you are in the center of the fairway, those front/back points will be the accurate closest and farthest points on the green. If you are not in the center of the fairway, the unit shows the distance to those fixed points, though in that instance, those front/back fixed points may not, in fact, be the closest/farthest points from where you are standing. Since the front/back imply a direction of approach, their accuracy as the actual front/back of the green from that approach can vary if you are not approaching from the center of the fairway. For an extreme example, if you are some distance 90 degrees off to one side of the green, the "fixed" front/back points would actually be the farthest left/right points on the green from that perspective and the distance to them may or may not be useful.

The point of the center of the green should be the same from any direction of approach, so that would be accurate whether you are in the fairway or not.

I hope I didn't butcher that explanation too badly...

I'm not able to really understand where these questions come from, but FatChance is right.

Look at it like this: go put a stick in the ground at the "front" of the green (and the center and back for that matter). That is your point. No matter where you stand, which way you approach from, or where the flagstick is, your front point will always remain the same. It would be possible to be equidistant from both your front and your center point at the same time if you were off to the side of the green. If you need 20yard precision, go with a laser. I don't really use my GPS from within 40-50 yards. It's all feel at that point.

Shooter, based on what you say you want (more fairway points marked) I'd tend to go with SkyCaddie. The other advantage of the SkyCaddie is that it can "move" the F/B/C points of the green with your approach angle. The other units cannot do this.