Replacing TM Rac LTs - need guidance

BrexB

Considering X-20s and G10s
I've been playing TM RAC LT irons for about three years. I've always felt that they were a better club than I should be playing since I'm a bit inconsistent with them, with mishits being pretty stingy. I'm currently about a 16 handicap which is several strokes better than a year ago since I played more last year and have been working on my game.

I'm looking for a new set of irons that are better suited to my game and am considering Callaway X-20 and Ping G10 (others?). I haven't had a chance to demo either of them.

I'm not looking for someone to pick my clubs but am curious about how the old LTs will compare to these clubs. FWIW, my swing speed is about 96.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea the r7s is a nice choice, they had a very nice soft feel to them and were easy to hit cleanly in my experience

you really need to demo the clubs first to see what you like. i initially thought i would love the x18's but ended up disliking them and loving both the r7s and the callaway x-20 tours and it was a tossup as to which irons to get.

lesson is for me at least to demo first to see what irons jive best with your personal swing style and speed. for example i hit a natural draw so i dont need any draw biased club features. i also hit the ball super high so i dont need any extra offset. it could be the total opposite for you so what works for me may not work for you.....:coolpics:

good luck either way and the r7 and x20s are a great place to start demoing. ive not hit the g10 so i cant comment on those.

I will tell you something:

RACs are players irons and you, my friend, will be much better off with GI irons because of your inconsistent ball striking skills.

For you, i will suggest R7 XD. I have played R7, RAC OS, RAC LT2, even tried R7 TP and Mizzy MP-32. Nothing beats R7 XD in terms of distance and forgiveness.

RACs are players irons and you, my friend, will be much better off with GI irons because of your inconsistent ball striking skills.

For you, i will suggest R7 XD. I have played R7, RAC OS, RAC LT2, even tried R7 TP and Mizzy MP-32. Nothing beats R7 XD in terms of distance and forgiveness.

he hits hit high tho... maybe the wrong shaft you are playing in your LTs? i think the OS2 would be a good option b/c theyre forgiving but not to the point where you will be hitting shots too high

he hits hit high tho... maybe the wrong shaft you are playing in your LTs? i think the OS2 would be a good option b/c theyre forgiving but not to the point where you will be hitting shots too high

He hits a high fade most likely because he's coming through with an open face and possibly letting the clubhead get ahead of his hands. His swingspeed isn't such that would cause a high balloning ballflight, so it's probably his swing. The LT's are pretty forgiving for a player's iron.

That being said, the G10's and R7's are both ridiculously easy to hit and have a little more offset which should help you square the clubface and keep you from adding loft. My father plays the R7XD's and he loves them. Very easy to hit also.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

is ur SS 96 with a 6iron or with a driver? what shafts are in the LTs? i know when i played LTs( both 02 and 05) i often saw the ball ballooning.. my 05s had the t step 110 g shaft which could be the reason but 6.0 rifles in the 02s did it too.. how much of a fade are you talking about? whats your miss? just trying to get an idea what your swing is like with out seening it.

I came off a set of the original RAC LT's with rifle 6.0's to my current Nike Pro Combo Oversized with rifle 5.5's.

Ego is a heck of a drug!

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5* - HZRDUS 5.5

Callaway GBB Epic 15* - HZRDUS 6.0

Adams Idea Pro 18* - Proto 80-S
Adams Idea A7 22* - Axivcore 85 S

Nike Pro Combo OS: 5-PW - Rifle 5.5

TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 52* & 58* Big Foot - HI-REV 2.0
Yes! Callie

Vice Golf Tour

2007 Cobra S9's, they're $399 now and they are super easy to hit.

That being said, both X20's and G10's are VERY nice, VERY forgiving irons. Truth be told, if I had more money I would have gotten the X20's, but my budget made the S9's to be a better fit. I don't think you could go wrong with either set.

As for the R7's, I don't personally care for any of them except the draw model, which I could just crush. My misses tend to be toward the heel, which is probably why I liked the Draw's better than any of the other R7 models. All of the R7's (except for the Draw) felt too light and had somewhat of a "clunky" feel to them. One thing that kept me from getting the R7 Draw's was the HUGE gap between the PW and the SW, TM should have made the default set 4-AW rather than 4-SW (with no AW).

Of course this is all just my opinion and, as always, you should go hit irons for yourself and decide what fits you best.

Cheers!

You have chosen 2 top GI iron sets from 2 of the best golf club manufacturer's in terms of customer service and support. I highly suggest that you rent a set of each of these with the correct flex shaft for your swing and play 18 holes with each. Not at the same time, but on the same course. Then choose the set you enjoyed the most. That will be better than any demo you can do.

That's 96 with the driver (I'm a little guy). 3 and 4 iron LTs have Rifle 6.0, others are Rifle 5.0 - all stiff. Shortened 1/2". Not sure that makes sense to have mixed 6.0 and 5.0. I'm newly getting serious about my game so I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about.

That would be a slight fade.

My 8 and 9 irons seem fly like some friends' wedges. I'm told I have a good swing but haven't played or practiced enough to be able to really groove it. I'm inconsistent with my inconsistencies - my misses seem to be pulls or slices, usually when I get too quick. But, I'm working on my swing and it's much improved in the past several months.

Thanks!

That's 96 with the driver (I'm a little guy). 3 and 4 iron LTs have Rifle 6.0, others are Rifle 5.0 - all stiff. Shortened 1/2". Not sure that makes sense to have mixed 6.0 and 5.0. I'm newly getting serious about my game so I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about.

That would be a slight fade.

My 8 and 9 irons seem fly like some friends' wedges. I'm told I have a good swing but haven't played or practiced enough to be able to really groove it. I'm inconsistent with my inconsistencies - my misses seem to be pulls or slices, usually when I get too quick. But, I'm working on my swing and it's much improved in the past several months.

Thanks!

All of your stats/info sounds about like mine save the height. I'm right at about 6'. I pretty much hi 90's/lo 100's as far as swing speed goes and my tempo can get quick too.

Going back to a little more GI iron has helped a lot on less that flush shots. So I would consider the following:

Mizuno

MX-23's

MX-25's

MP-57's

Cobra

FP irons

Nike

Pro Combo OS's

Srixon

I-701's

Beside the MX-23's and MX-25's the offset on the one's listed are minimal but still very much a forgiving iron.

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5* - HZRDUS 5.5

Callaway GBB Epic 15* - HZRDUS 6.0

Adams Idea Pro 18* - Proto 80-S
Adams Idea A7 22* - Axivcore 85 S

Nike Pro Combo OS: 5-PW - Rifle 5.5

TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 52* & 58* Big Foot - HI-REV 2.0
Yes! Callie

Vice Golf Tour