Tour Striker Smart Ball

ts511

[quote name='Dinosaur' timestamp='1399819100' post='9273055']
[quote name='tm3' timestamp='1399802084' post='9272287']
How is this better than the Ledbetter swing link or a belt holding the arms?
[/quote]

none, but probably more consistent and easier to use. I believe it is Zach Allen that advocates using a belt. With the belt, there is no doubt what you are doing on the range, and no chance of somebody thinking you have an eccentric taste in jewelry.
[/quote]

I know I'm the guy who sells the ball, but I don't believe in a belt. Belts force the arms together. With the ball, you keep the arms together. IMO, big difference in how you manage your body.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='_Fred_' timestamp='1399731785' post='9268401']
Hi Cmartimgolf,

Any idea if there are already online stores in Europe that sell the Smart Ball?

Cheers,

_Fred_
[/quote]

Fred, it will be awhile before it is onsale in Europe. You can make a version of one pretty easily with a little thought. Martin Kaymer uses a lanyard and a tennis ball.

[quote name='SullGolf' timestamp='1397519235' post='9091771']
Got mine today and was messing around with it indoors. As expected. It's like the ball drill I already know I like, but no chasing it around when I drop it. As I said, I've never hit balls on the range with the ball in place because I don't want to throw it down range somehow. Keeping my arms together on the takeaway is probably the single best swing thought that I use on the course, so having something to reinforce that helps me. It probably costs less than $5 to make in China, but I'm okay paying the price because it works for me. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who would rather spend the time making their own to save $25 though.

I'm looking forward to taking it to the range, and will try to report on the session if I remember. Also, one thing that I haven't seen it advertised for is putting, but it's good to use for that too.
[/quote]

Thanks for your comments and support. I appreciate it. I'm glad it is helping you.

Time is money and if people have the time and stuff laying around to make one, great!

Hey Martin. Been using the ts clubs with my students with success. The visual of the club alone helps communicate the idea itself. I was wondering your thoughts on students who can easily create forward divots with the line drill but still struggle when the ball is present. I watched to see if they are just dumping the club at the ball and failing to rotate shoulders through the ball...tried getting them to focus on pp#3 through thegh the hit but this right side concepts in only seems to exacerbate the dumping...any thoughts.
Thanks,
Ed

I got my Smart Ball a few weeks ago and have had a chance to use it for a few practice sessions now. My big swing issue is working the takeaway way inside, having my arms trail way behind my pivot, and doing an early flip. The Smart Ball (or any ball between the arms) is really a continuation of a swing thought that works well for me, which is to keep the forearms together in the takeaway. It definitely seems to be making some improvements to my swing. I've hit some shots on the range that were just towering, so high that I figured they must be a flip, but traveling more than normal distance (my swing normally results in lower iron shots).

Very pleased so far. The other day I had my best practice session that I can ever remember having. Haven't gotten to the course as much as I'd like. The times I have played I was hitting the ball better overall, but got sunk by a few bad penalties and short game blow ups. Playing 36 this weekend so we'll see if it continues to work magic for me.

Is it better than any cheap nerf ball that is rigged with some rope? Possibly not. But the lanyard to tether it to me is the only reason I use it on the range. Otherwise I'd live in fear of throwing the ball down range. It's also real easy to inflate/deflate, so it's light and portable. Will live in my bag for the time being. To me, it's been worth the $35.

[quote name='SullGolf' timestamp='1400002334' post='9287253']
I got my Smart Ball a few weeks ago and have had a chance to use it for a few practice sessions now. My big swing issue is working the takeaway way inside, having my arms trail way behind my pivot, and doing an early flip. The Smart Ball (or any ball between the arms) is really a continuation of a swing thought that works well for me, which is to keep the forearms together in the takeaway. It definitely seems to be making some improvements to my swing. I've hit some shots on the range that were just towering, so high that I figured they must be a flip, but traveling more than normal distance (my swing normally results in lower iron shots).

Very pleased so far. The other day I had my best practice session that I can ever remember having. Haven't gotten to the course as much as I'd like. The times I have played I was hitting the ball better overall, but got sunk by a few bad penalties and short game blow ups. Playing 36 this weekend so we'll see if it continues to work magic for me.

Is it better than any cheap nerf ball that is rigged with some rope? Possibly not. But the lanyard to tether it to me is the only reason I use it on the range. Otherwise I'd live in fear of throwing the ball down range. It's also real easy to inflate/deflate, so it's light and portable. Will live in my bag for the time being. To me, it's been worth the $35.
[/quote]

Sounds just like me, my order just got placed!!!!!

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

• 1 month later...

[quote name='smoothie4896' timestamp='1404249039' post='9618459']
Hey Martin,

Went on the website to order the Smart Ball today, said it was out of stock. Put my info in to be notified when ready, but wanted to see if you may have any idea as to when they might be ready for sale?

BTW: One of the better training aid ideas I've seen in a while!

Thanks
[/quote]
The other post I saw he mentioned a date of July 20 getting a new order from China.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I just got notification that the Tour Striker Smart Ball is available. Free Shipping in the US and here is a $5 off coupon code as well. Here is the link.
[url="http://tourstrikergolfacademy.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=76fbc8817d1796ac7d9037e19&id=63c7090157&e=d4a645bc63"]Tour Striker Smart Ball[/url]

G30 10.5 driver - new Ping G425 coming 
G30 3 wood
G30 19 degree hybrid
TM RSi4-PW
Ping Glide 52
Callaway big daddy tour 2 56 degree

Callaway tour 60
SC Dual Balance Newport

Best training aid I ever used was something called a Swing Extender. You wear it on your right arm if a right handed player and left arm if left landed. It's nothing more than a triangular shaped piece of plastic with a velcro arm attachment. When you swing back, it won't let your arm bend more than 90 degrees and makes you turn. Once you get used to it, the stupid thing actually works. But, it is like a lot of training aids, will take a few weeks or more of using it for you to see the results of it.

Just ordered mine. Thanks Mr. Martin! Have been looking forward to this for awhile.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9 degrees - Ventus Blue 5S
Sim Max 3HL 16.5 - Ventus Red 6S

Callaway Apex UW @21 - Ventus Red 7s
Titleist TS2 4H @23 - Ventus blue 8s
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G- Nippon 950GH
Titleist SM8 54, 60
Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 - Stability Shaft

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 - Stability Tour

Ordered two days ago and got the smart ball to practice today! Very fast shipping. After spending 30 minutes practicing amd getting used to it, I'm falling in love with this ball already! I can feel that my flip/chicken wing is slowly disappearing when I try to keep both arms straight while holding the ball (wrists feel more difficulty to flip) and it's harder & feel awkward to just wack at the ball with my arms without properly rotating my body. One thing I really like is that I can adjust the diameter of the ball by blowing just enough air into it. This ball seems to be something I cannot go to the range without from now on.
One thing I'm concern is that I thought someone said this is intended to help in 9-3 swing only, but somehow I can and keep pulling a full swing with it. Will it mess my full swing up if I hold it all along the way?

[quote name='PhiQuanTu' timestamp='1408153504' post='9944743']Ordered two days ago and got the smart ball to practice today! Very fast shipping. After spending 30 minutes practicing amd getting used to it, I'm falling in love with this ball already! I can feel that my flip/chicken wing is slowly disappearing when I try to keep both arms straight while holding the ball (wrists feel more difficulty to flip) and it's harder & feel awkward to just wack at the ball with my arms without properly rotating my body. One thing I really like is that I can adjust the diameter of the ball by blowing just enough air into it. This ball seems to be something I cannot go to the range without from now on.
One thing I'm concern is that I thought someone said this is intended to help in 9-3 swing only, but somehow I can and keep pulling a full swing with it. Will it mess my full swing up if I hold it all along the way?[/quote]

I hit full shots w it all the time. I love it, too:). On my bad swings my lower body outraces my upper half. My right elbow slides behind me a bit. The ball helps me sort that out.

Thanks for your support. I appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received mine today and went to the range with it. I'm about a 15 handicap, been playing on and off for almost two years, have taken a couple of lessons but nothing that was really eye opening. I've been playing a 30yd fade lately and have been wanting to get rid of it. I've always had trouble with any iron longer than a 9i and if I'm not on my game, then it's shank city.

This thing is pretty awesome. I know it's a bit much to pay for what it is, but it's convenient, light, and will deflate to fit easily into my bag. I took a 7i out to the range today. My hits without the ball were slices or shanks to the right...very frustrating. Once I put the ball on, it was a different story. Towering shots down the middle, and any shots that I missed went left with a slight draw. Like others, I could only get a 9/3 swing out of it, but that's alright. It was a night and day difference.

Every 10 balls or so I would switch the ball in and out. By the end of my bucket, I was starting to really feel that connection and could simulate it without the ball about 30-40% of the time. Another thing I really got out of it was hitting solid, well struck shots. I'm a sweeper by nature and don't consider myself a good ball striker, but this thing got me hitting down on the ball a little more and the feeling was oh so sweet. My only gripe was that I didn't get this thing sooner.

Question for Martin:
I also have your Tour Striker Educator which I purchased in hopes of getting more distance. Could you provide a good training regimen for using both of these products in one session? What should I focus on when using the ball and what should I focus on when using the educator? Do you recommend using these in the same day or should I split them into separate sessions? Any help would be great..thanks!

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Riptide Regular
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 4w 16* Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Tight Lies 2 4h 22* Stiff
Irons: Sub70 699u 5i/6i, 699 7-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* Tour Grind, Callaway MD2 58* Tour Grind
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Labs #10

Rynocks.....Good on ya mate! I keep threatening to get one, but other priorities keep coming up. 30 yard "fade" eh? If it were me, I would have to call it by the other "s" word. ;)

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

[quote name='Dinosaur' timestamp='1409835569' post='10062409']
Rynocks.....Good on ya mate! I keep threatening to get one, but other priorities keep coming up. 30 yard "fade" eh? If it were me, I would have to call it by the other "s" word. ;)
[/quote]

HAHA, I know what you mean. I wouldn't exactly call it a slice either. It doesn't snap as dramatically as a slice and it really only happens with 7i and up. If it's a 150yd shot and the hole is in the middle of the green, I'll aim towards the left side of the green and let it fade out towards the hole.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Riptide Regular
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 4w 16* Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Tight Lies 2 4h 22* Stiff
Irons: Sub70 699u 5i/6i, 699 7-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* Tour Grind, Callaway MD2 58* Tour Grind
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Labs #10

[quote name='RyKnocks' timestamp='1409820752' post='10061881']
Just received mine today and went to the range with it. I'm about a 15 handicap, been playing on and off for almost two years, have taken a couple of lessons but nothing that was really eye opening. I've been playing a 30yd fade lately and have been wanting to get rid of it. I've always had trouble with any iron longer than a 9i and if I'm not on my game, then it's shank city.

This thing is pretty awesome. I know it's a bit much to pay for what it is, but it's convenient, light, and will deflate to fit easily into my bag. I took a 7i out to the range today. My hits without the ball were slices or shanks to the right...very frustrating. Once I put the ball on, it was a different story. Towering shots down the middle, and any shots that I missed went left with a slight draw. Like others, I could only get a 9/3 swing out of it, but that's alright. It was a night and day difference.

Every 10 balls or so I would switch the ball in and out. By the end of my bucket, I was starting to really feel that connection and could simulate it without the ball about 30-40% of the time. Another thing I really got out of it was hitting solid, well struck shots. I'm a sweeper by nature and don't consider myself a good ball striker, but this thing got me hitting down on the ball a little more and the feeling was oh so sweet. My only gripe was that I didn't get this thing sooner.

Question for Martin:
I also have your Tour Striker Educator which I purchased in hopes of getting more distance. Could you provide a good training regimen for using both of these products in one session? What should I focus on when using the ball and what should I focus on when using the educator? Do you recommend using these in the same day or should I split them into separate sessions? Any help would be great..thanks!
[/quote]

I used them in the same session yesterday! My issues: I tend to bow my left wrist a bit at the top. Wearing the Educator gives me an awareness when I'm apply to much torque (bowing) and it helps me keep the wrist flatter without bowing.

The Smart Ball helps remind me to use my body to create swing length without artificially doing it by over-bending my arms. You can over-bend your arms with the SB, but it sure makes you area of torso muscles you forgot you had.

As far as drills, visit my YouTube channel as they are free to view there. Thanks so much for your support!

Martin

Love the tour striker stuff.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

the thrift stores are full of stuff to use this doggie kick ball might be best of all . if you made a ball out with a can of insulation foam you could sculpt it to fit your arms no problem. if you want to feel what a swing is suppose to feel like get a small back pack and put 3 lbs of books in it tighten it up and your body and arms will work together - like a team.

Just got the smart ball. How do it get started and build a swing?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1