GPS Golf Guru - Any thoughts on this?

That's good, I thought I had read recently that they were only mapping greens. I play a lot of courses once or twice (greenfee player) and I purchased the Guru to assist in hole planning. My home course (where I grew up), I know well enough I don't really need a GPS. I hate when you get to a course you haven't played before and you can't figure out how far to trouble. It's not just about distance to the pin. If you are going to be paying for them to map courses they should be doing a good job. If you are playing a course more than two or three times, adding additional points will be a bonus.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems as though it depends on how that person's day was going in regards to the mapping of courses. Most of the courses I play only have green points mapped. There are a few that have other points. What is strange is there will be some holes, like the first three, with points mapped and then the rest of the course will only have greens mapped.

It seems as though it depends on how that person's day was going in regards to the mapping of courses. Most of the courses I play only have green points mapped. There are a few that have other points. What is strange is there will be some holes, like the first three, with points mapped and then the rest of the course will only have greens mapped.

I thought I had read that mapping was, or was becoming greens only. I would get in touch with Golf Guru customer service and complain. I know that the course downloading is free at present, but it won't be in the future. They should be providing the service that they are advertising.

I have a request for about six local courses in at present, but it will be a few months before I can play anyways, so I'm not in a rush.

I thought I had read that mapping was, or was becoming greens only. I would get in touch with Golf Guru customer service and complain. I know that the course downloading is free at present, but it won't be in the future. They should be providing the service that they are advertising.

I have a request for about six local courses in at present, but it will be a few months before I can play anyways, so I'm not in a rush.

After reading your post I fired off the following to Customer Service.

Rick,

I am reading on the forum that the courses that are being mapped now and most recently have been greens only. Is that correct?

Is there a way to look at a course hole by hole without being on the course to see what is there?

Rick's response is

We have current courses and requested courses. We do one of two things. If it is a requested new course it is mapped completely with targets included. If is it a currently posted course, it may only contain the green features. In that case the customer can request the targets be added. We have been focusing on getting new courses up and once we are caught up with them, we will start adding features to the current courses that do not have them.

Customer Service

www.gpsgolfguru.com

My response again

Is there a way to look at a course hole by hole without being on the course to see what is there?

Rick's response is

Sure,

Just bring up the course and make sure it has 2 or 3 bars on the signal meter. Hit play and it will display the targets. Pressing hole will allow you to change holes. All yardages will be 999 but the features should show up. If you see 999 to center of green and nothing else that means there are no features. Par 3’s will have none.

Rick Horne

Director of Customer Service

www.gpsgolfguru.com

After reading your post I fired off the following to Customer Service.

Rick,

I am reading on the forum that the courses that are being mapped now and most recently have been greens only. Is that correct?

Rick's response is

We have current courses and requested courses. We do one of two things. If it is a requested new course it is mapped completely with targets included. If is it a currently posted course, it may only contain the green features. In that case the customer can request the targets be added. We have been focusing on getting new courses up and once we are caught up with them, we will start adding features to the current courses that do not have them.

Customer Service

www.gpsgolfguru.com

My response again

Rick's response is

Sure,

Just bring up the course and make sure it has 2 or 3 bars on the signal meter. Hit play and it will display the targets. Pressing hole will allow you to change holes. All yardages will be 999 but the features should show up. If you see 999 to center of green and nothing else that means there are no features. Par 3’s will have none.

Rick Horne

www.gpsgolfguru.com

So, Golf Guru will only do greens for new courses unless requested by customers until they are "caught up"? When might that be? When all courses are "greens mapped"? That could take years. Sorry, but I am looking for more than greens. I don't want to map my own. I was thinking Golf Guru was looking interesting but that response kills it for me.

So, Golf Guru will only do greens for new courses unless requested by customers until they are "caught up"? When might that be? When all courses are "greens mapped"? That could take years. Sorry, but I am looking for more than greens. I don't want to map my own. I was thinking Golf Guru was looking interesting but that response kills it for me.

I'm reading it differently. I think they started to map courses, before they started selling units to have a library. Most of those were mapped greens only or few additional points. Customer reuested courses are fully mapped. So if you want a previously mapped 'greens only' course, 'fully mapped', simply request it. That way they don't waste time mapping courses that people don't want.

Unless I'm out in left field, which has happened before.

I'm reading it differently. I think they started to map courses, before they started selling units to have a library. Most of those were mapped greens only or few additional points. Customer reuested courses are fully mapped. So if you want a previously mapped 'greens only' course, 'fully mapped', simply request it. That way they don't waste time mapping courses that people don't want.

Unless I'm out in left field, which has happened before.

No, I think we are reading this the same, except I want courses already fully mapped without having to request it each time I want to play another course. If any request were instantly fulfilled, ok, but that won't happen. I often play courses with only a day or so (or an hour or so) notice. This system won't work for me in that situation. I checked Skycaddie's site and they list all courses as 1-4 stars, 4 being professionally mapped. From what I hear from guys on here, 4 star courses are typically very fully mapped. I entered about 30 courses from around my area that I might play in any given year and all but 1 were 4 star mapped. You can't tell from Golf Guru's site (that I can see) which courses are greens only and which ones are fully mapped. It is also my impression, again from info gathered here, that even fully mapped courses from GG typically don't have the level of detail (hazards, layups, etc.) that SC courses do. From reading the email from their customer service guy it looks like many if not most of their sites will be greens only. That just won't work for me-maybe in a few years.

When asking Golf Guru to map courses, what if you only have a scorecard? The munis I play don't have yardage books. Would they still be able to map these courses? Also, how easy is it to map out a course on your own? Is it time consuming, etc.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

When asking Golf Guru to map courses, what if you only have a scorecard? The munis I play don't have yardage books. Would they still be able to map these courses? Also, how easy is it to map out a course on your own? Is it time consuming, etc.

They map them from satellite imagery. They use the scorecards for course layout and basic yardages of the holes.

Rick's response is

Customer Service

www.gpsgolfguru.com

Rick Horne

www.gpsgolfguru.com

I see, well they have a lot of catching up to do in my area.

Best value: iGolf Neo. For $150 + subscription, this guy is hard to beat if all you want to know is "How far is it to the green?"

Steve,

I really appreciate all of the work that you have done here for the rest of us, but I have to disagree with your above statement.

At $35/year for a subscription, it only takes two years for the GPSGolfGuru (at $210 ebay, no subscruption fees for 3 years) to beat the Neo ($150 best availabe price plus 2 years X $35/year equals $220).

The only way for the Neo to be cheaper is if you get no subscription ($60 savings) or just a one year subscription ($25 savings). And I doubt that very many golfers would be interested in no subscription at all (you at least need to "check it out" for a year)--which means that the most you are going to save is $25. You will quickly make that up in the cost of batteries (or batteries and charger).

Just a thought...

Best value: iGolf Neo. For $150 + subscription, this guy is hard to beat if all you want to know is "How far is it to the green?"

Steve,

I really appreciate all of the work that you have done here for the rest of us, but I have to disagree with your above statement.

At $35/year for a subscription, it only takes two years for the GPSGolfGuru (at $210 ebay, no subscruption fees for 3 years) to beat the Neo ($150 best availabe price plus 2 years X $35/year equals $220).

You are welcome to disagree, I am only speaking as someone who has OWNED all of these units I am writing about.

The execution of the Guru makes it more difficult to use than the Neo, and as such, the Guru with a 1 year subscription is the best bet for cost & simplicity. You know you own all the courses you download with the Neo--unlike the Guru. They are saved right to your hard drive--unlike the Guru. The pre-mapped courses have most features marked, and you can edit or add additional points yourself. This is in contrast to the Guru's lack of pre-mapped courses, lack of targets on many courses, and lack of ability to edit/add your own points. Yeah yeah yeah, I know they are going to "fix" this in the future. We saw how well that worked out for Golflogix owners--they got screwed. When/If the Guru matures, it may deserve more consideration, but right now, the SkyGolf and iGolf products are superior.

EDIT: I've just confirmed that new Neo's are going for $139 + free shipping on eBay.

Try http://www.golf.com/golf/courses_travel/coursefinder to find the score card online. Just provide the link to the scorecard when you request mapping.

You are welcome to disagree, I am only speaking as someone who has OWNED all of these units I am writing about.

The execution of the Guru makes it more difficult to use than the Neo, and as such, the Guru with a 1 year subscription is the best bet for cost & simplicity. You know you own all the courses you download with the Neo--unlike the Guru. They are saved right to your hard drive--unlike the Guru. The pre-mapped courses have most features marked, and you can edit or add additional points yourself. This is in contrast to the Guru's lack of pre-mapped courses, lack of targets on many courses, and lack of ability to edit/add your own points. Yeah yeah yeah, I know they are going to "fix" this in the future. We saw how well that worked out for Golflogix owners--they got screwed. When/If the Guru matures, it may deserve more consideration, but right now, the SkyGolf and iGolf products are superior.

EDIT: I've just confirmed that new Neo's are going for $139 + free shipping on eBay.

Steve,

Thanks again for sharing your experience. I was only pointing out that from a strictly price perspective, they are really quite close.

My experience so far with pre-sale customer service from all of these golf GPS companies has ranged from lackluster to pathetic, as follows:

Sonocaddie: Fairly responsive (within 1-2 working days), but not very knowledgeable and failed to really answer my questions. Judging by the time of day the email was received and the horrible english of the responder, I am guessing that their support is based somewhere in asia.

Also with the Sonocaddie, it appears that they really haven't got their maps figured out. Complaints about inaccuracies, few mapped courses in my area--as well as the fact that they have a course listed as "requested" when it was plowed under over a year ago to make room for houses--have made me leery of this one.

iGolf: It's been a week now, and still no response. No phone number to call, either. And their "webchat" was unavailable during hours when they claimed it would be open. In short, no way to get in touch with them at all.

And I was rather disappointed in their response a year or so ago when I asked them about the complaints on how cumbersome it was to map a course while playing. It was basically an abandonment of their current customers and a "we are hoping to address this in a future GPS product".

GPSgolfguru: A week now, and no response to my original email. Admittedly, it included about ten questions. [Edit: I did get a very good response from them only hours after posting this. I will post my questions and their answers when I get a chance.]

A second email asking how many units they had sold in North America was answered within a day--only to answer that they did not give out sales information, but only said that sales were "strong". Judging by their offer to give free subscriptions until 2011 to the first 500 buyers--and the fact that they have only been around for a few months--I am guessing that the number is rather low (i.e. less than 1000). [Edit: Judging by the later answer I got, the actual number may be much higher.]

So I guess that when it comes to customer service, you just have to pick your poison.

I have been leaning towards the GPSgolfguru because it is said to be very accurate, it has the "intelligreen-like" feature, has no limit to the number of points you can map, can keep score, and can be totally hands-free. It also fits in my pricerange and has good enough battery life that the internal battery is not a concern. (This is given with the caveat that I'm not going to buy it until you can edit downloaded courses.)

Hearing your experiences about having owned all three, I am still seriously considering the Neo.

GPSgolfguru: A week now, and no response to my original email.

That's strange! When I was troubleshooting a connection/Firewall problem their tech support were answering my emails within minutes, even at 8pm on a Saturday evening! Their responsiveness is one of the Guru's selling points in my view.

GPSgolfguru: A week now, and no response to my original email.

That's strange! When I was troubleshooting a connection/Firewall problem their tech support were answering my emails within minutes, even at 8pm on a Saturday evening! Their responsiveness is one of the Guru's selling points in my view.

Same here.....anytime I have ever contacted them they have been very responsive. Once when I was having trouble with a download they even called me. They could not be more responsive.

It all depends on personal preference. Like Steve, I have owned or used just about all the devices talked about on this forum.

When I got the Neo I thought it was going to be the coolest little device.. until I got to the course. There is nothing wrong with it I just don't like the execution. I can't really put my finger on it, but when using it against the other two (Sky and Guru) it wasn't in the same league. That's just me.

The Skygolf 2.5, right now, is the best of the bunch now. However you cannot put it in your pocket without losing some signal and accuracy. You have to stand there until it catches up with the sats.

I like the Guru the best although it does not have points on the courses I play, just greens. Some have points but the majority don't. I like the fact you can put it in your pocket without signal loss, scoring and stats, and the upcoming handicap feature. Also, you can pre-map a course with up to 30 points, I think. Again, like someone pointed out, I'm not going to get excited about the editing of points until it happens. (Golflogix lied to me about their product when I called them last year).

I have had excellent customer service with Guru over downloading their software on my laptop. I contacted them by phone in that instance. I emailed them yesterday concerning editing their mapped courses and if that feature will be ready by the end of February. I have not heard back from them yet but will post their response when I do. I also sent in 13 courses two weeks ago that I need mapped and have not heard anything yet. Not that I need them with an inch of ice on the ground. I had a golf tournament tomorrow but obviously that has been canceled.

I have been leaning towards the GPSgolfguru because it is said to be very accurate, it has the "intelligreen-like" feature, has no limit to the number of points you can map, can keep score, and can be totally hands-free. It also fits in my pricerange and has good enough battery life that the internal battery is not a concern. (This is given with the caveat that I'm not going to buy it until you can edit downloaded courses.)

Hearing your experiences about having owned all three, I am still seriously considering the Neo.

Please don't let me talk you out of a Guru! That's not my objective. Many posters here are very happy with theirs. I love my Neo, but Gsco did not like his. It's really more about personal preference and what features you want or need.

To me, the Neo had the size, price, and very a very strong 20-channel GPS chipset--not that you can actually pick that many satellites up at once anyway. The display is not very fancy, as it is just plain text and no intelli-green type feature.

The Guru has so much more to (potentially!) offer with it's features, user-mapping, score keeping, etc... I just didn't care for it. If you like the form factor, and can bear with the limited mapping currently available, this unit is solid. No backlight though--still a big issue for me.

The SkyCaddie is the least customizable, but offers the strongest performance out of the bunch. These guys have been doing it the longest, and they've got the most well thought-out product available currently. You do, however have to sign your soul away to SkyGolf to use it.

I think the Guru people are a great company to do business with, and I'm looking forward to what they come out with in the future.

Used my Guru for the first time today. It took about 12 days to get my first request mapped, but they did a great job. My main concern was with layup distances and all of the 150 and 100 yard markers were included (in addition to bunkers and water). I bought a case for a TREO 650 that I can wear on my belt and it's great. Doesn't get in my way and the Guru goes right in and out. The accuracy was right on the markers that I checked. The auto advance (even with scoring on - no prompts) didn't seem to work though.

Thanks to golfgame for the info on invisibleshield and to stevestrike on his many posts.

For those of you who plan on using your Guru without a case and simply using your pocket may want to consider this.

http://www.invisibleshield.com/

I just got a screen protector from them for the Guru. I have one on my cell phone as I carry that in my pocket. This shield is rock hard, crystal clear and does not scratch.

The cost is $11.95 and I think that includes the postage.

I have had the one on my phone for several months now and it is showing no sign of coming off.

I have installed the screen protector now an I must tell all that it has increased the contrast on the screen. I have only viewed it in the house so far and I actually believe that the image is twice as bright as it was without it.

I have had excellent customer service with Guru over downloading their software on my laptop. I contacted them by phone in that instance. I emailed them yesterday concerning editing their mapped courses and if that feature will be ready by the end of February. I have not heard back from them yet but will post their response when I do. I also sent in 13 courses two weeks ago that I need mapped and have not heard anything yet. Not that I need them with an inch of ice on the ground. I had a golf tournament tomorrow but obviously that has been canceled.

Response from Golf Guru:

Rick,

I don't see a response to this email. If you have already received one, I may have just missed it. We are still shooting for the end of February for releasing this feature in a software upgrade. We do have a couple of other objectives with this release that need to be met for our Isaac Golf partner, and hope to get them all done in a single release. Although, the end of the month is still our goal, it is possible we may run a little over on getting this release out. We like to test as much as possible before issuing new software to make sure there are no bugs or problems that are not obvious. Course map editing is still our number one priority for the next feature to be added to the Guru.

Regards,

Jess

Golf Guru Support

I wrote this company an email at 3:04 A.M. this morning regarding some additional info as this is looking like the unit for me and they responded before 11:00 A.M. on a Saturday morning this seems like a company that aims to please and this kind of attention to customer service will cause word of mouth to spread quickly so I really see this company taking off I will definitely be purchasing one as soon as the updates have been made and hopefully by that time they have more courses mapped in my area.

Cally 9.5 Xhot Fuel TS 60 tipped
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5* HL Attas 7S
909H 17*, 21* &24* V Steel
5-GW Cobra Pro M/B 950g/h
Cleveland 588 Tour Zip Grooves 54*
34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

I received my first course download today. It took about 3 weeks for them to get it on their site. One down 12 to go. Hopefully they can get caught up pretty fast within the next month.

UPDATE: They put up 3 more of my courses and explained problems with 2 other ones. Guru's customer service could not be any better.

Looks like a viable competitor to me. However, they need to add lots and lots of courses before I'd consider a purchase. Only 2 courses that I play (rarely) are listed. Only about 10 are listed in my 20 mile area, so they need to get the course count up for me.

Otherwise I like the concept onf unlimited downloads and NO fees!!! That's what need to happen to all of these GPSs IMO.