Manual de la Torre Method

upanddown

I had the same thought that JustSteve responded with...worrying and focusing on coil is absolutely the opposite of what MDLT writes about in his book. Based on that book, plus the mini-book from another teacher just of Q&A, I'd go so far as to say the discussion we've had on this forum about hands back and arms forward is even to be taken as theory.

I concentrate on taking the club back (head, shaft, handle) on the circle on the same plane such that I have free access to swing it forward again on the same circle and plane. My biggest breakthrough was that the shaft needed to stay on the plane of the circle. In the past, I have kept the clubhead on the plane, but pulled the handle (and thus the shaft) under the plane.

When we hammer a nail, we think only of the nail or the hammer, we don't think about our wrist, or elbow, or arms. We take the hammer up with our hand, and down with our arm, but we don't consciously think about those movements, we simply move the hammer with the intention of striking the nail.

There is some good information here, but I respectfully submit that there is more going on in the golf swing than what is being stated.

This lesson would seem to work best for kids. If you picked up the game as an adult, I believe the temptation to over analyze and try to figure out what is happening will override what is being taught here.

These days we have the ability to measure...everything from club data to body data. This type of instruction is limited in its focus, it can help some folks, honestly, it helped me a little. The swing forward with the upper arms made my swing the arms to quickly and too forward never allowing the club head to catch up.

JMO, enjoy learning.

[quote name='glcoach' timestamp='1399907761' post='9279081']
There is some good information here, but I respectfully submit that there is more going on in the golf swing than what is being stated.

This lesson would seem to work best for kids. If you picked up the game as an adult, I believe the temptation to over analyze and try to figure out what is happening will override what is being taught here.

These days we have the ability to measure...everything from club data to body data. This type of instruction is limited in its focus, it can help some folks, honestly, it helped me a little. The swing forward with the upper arms made my swing the arms to quickly and too forward never allowing the club head to catch up.

JMO, enjoy learning.
[/quote]

If you were swinging your arms forward instead of the whole club you were using the wrong concept and getting one of the bad results I would expect from swinging the arms.

Steve

[quote name='glcoach' timestamp='1399907761' post='9279081']

JMO, enjoy learning.
[/quote]

We are all here to learn. Interesting thoughts. Isn't Trackman and MDLT's method more closely aligned than we imagine? Of course one can quibble with details, but aren't both club-focused?

As dumb as it sounds I can't wrap my head around how easy the method is. I have been working on turning, weight transfers, secondary tilts, etc. After all that I can't just turn my brain off and swing the club lol. When I read 'take it back with your hands' I think about the left forearm rotating the right elbow folding, the deep right hip so on so forth. I was on the slice fixer swing for 3 years and I can't get away from it, when I try to stray I look like I have never swung a golf club. At this point I wish I would have never read that thread, haha. I've tried this method but I cant do it. I blade the piss out of everything and I have no power when I do make good contact. I'm down to an 11 from a 15 with the SF swing but I feel I have maxed out what this swing is going to do for me. Too many positions, too many thoughts.

[quote name='flybub' timestamp='1399914896' post='9279951']
As dumb as it sounds I can't wrap my head around how easy the method is. I have been working on turning, weight transfers, secondary tilts, etc. After all that I can't just turn my brain off and swing the club lol. When I read 'take it back with your hands' I think about the left forearm rotating the right elbow folding, the deep right hip so on so forth. I was on the slice fixer swing for 3 years and I can't get away from it, when I try to stray I look like I have never swung a golf club. At this point I wish I would have never read that thread, haha. I've tried this method but I cant do it. I blade the piss out of everything and I have no power when I do make good contact. I'm down to an 11 from a 15 with the SF swing but I feel I have maxed out what this swing is going to do for me. Too many positions, too many thoughts.
[/quote]

Do you mean you can't do the SF method or the MDLT method?

[quote name='tm3' timestamp='1399904900' post='9278747']
[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1399829375' post='9273841']
I am not sure what Manuel's answer would be, perhaps Steve will chime in. How are you playing now, what do you shoot, what are your misses, and why does his method appeal to you? I will steal Manuel's line he will eventually ask you during a lesson, "What are you trying to do?" I guess I would take a common sense approach. If you are a mid to high handicapper, I would probably try to change the grip. If I was a single digit player looking to a more simple way to play, I might tinker with it slowly.

You might review the corrections and fixes section in the book. Some recommend making sure your grip is proper. Perhaps some might apply to your common miss.
[/quote]

1 HCP index: 13.8

2 most common misses: pushes and hooks

3 appeal: i am a proponent of geoff mangum's approach to putting as it makes sense from a neurophysiological standpoint, ie give the mind/body a task and let it figure out how to do it. i would like to find a full swing approach that is similar -- MDLT, and so some extent shawn clement, seem to come close. i don't believe that an athletic motion is best learned by trying to stack together a series of specific positions into a coordinated move.

4 goal: consistency. of course i would like to hit the driver 300+ yards but i believe that i would play much better if i could be more consistent off the tee and in the fairway. i'm not concerned about the short game. i will say that my greatest enjoyment is from hitting solid shots, even greater enjoyment than what comes from lower scores.

so while it seems that the MDLT method might be perfect for me, i have concerns. the biggest is that it may not be feasible to try to adopt this method without in person tutelage. i'm sure that i would not have grasped mangum's putting method as well if i had not spent time with him and just read his book (although, admittedly, his book is not especially well written). the second biggest is that in the past when i have tried shifting my focus to feeling the clubhead or similar i have played worse -- making a turn and mentally dissociating from what my arms and hands are doing has given better results.

but, if i was not interested and open to trying i of course would not be making these posts .......

i appreciate the input from all of you.
[/quote]

Thanks for posting this. I can't really answer your question in terms of going to see Manny. I would stress the opposite in that I would not abandon the method because you cannot see him, but that is purely based on my own bias. I think his ideas are the best way for us to play golf independent of whether he see him for a private lesson.

He is correct in the book when he says, if you perform his concepts as intended, it always works.

[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1399916373' post='9280107']
[/quote]

[/quote]
No I'm pretty entrenched in the SF method. I spent close to 1.5 years doing the 9-3 drill. Read through Geoffs encyclopedia more times than I care to admit and watched countless videos. Going to see Geoff would probably be an eye opener but that is not feasible for me. The problem is there are just too many swing thoughts for me and I play golf swing instead of playing golf. I went back to gi irons and that has somewhat helped get some thoughts out of my head but it's still not enough. I can't set up to a shot without the thoughts and positions and what I need to feel going through my head. I'd rather swing the club and let my body react. I'm a good bowler and have done well in many tournaments around my state and there is no method there. I feel the shot I tell my myself what I need to do and I go. There are no approach thoughts or hand position thoughts. When i do think about it I'm very inaccurate. Manual's method is very close to how I bowl but I cannot do it with a golf swing, I can't get my head out of the way.

[quote name='flybub' timestamp='1399917418' post='9280211']
[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1399916373' post='9280107']
[/quote]

[/quote]
No I'm pretty entrenched in the SF method. I spent close to 1.5 years doing the 9-3 drill. Read through Geoffs encyclopedia more times than I care to admit and watched countless videos. Going to see Geoff would probably be an eye opener but that is not feasible for me. The problem is there are just too many swing thoughts for me and I play golf swing instead of playing golf. I went back to gi irons and that has somewhat helped get some thoughts out of my head but it's still not enough. I can't set up to a shot without the thoughts and positions and what I need to feel going through my head. I'd rather swing the club and let my body react. I'm a good bowler and have done well in many tournaments around my state and there is no method there. I feel the shot I tell my myself what I need to do and I go. There are no approach thoughts or hand position thoughts. When i do think about it I'm very inaccurate. Manual's method is very close to how I bowl but I cannot do it with a golf swing, I can't get my head out of the way.
[/quote]

Trust me, I feel you.

I never had any formal instruction, got to about a 12 on my own using a mish mash of the usual, Hogan 5 lessons, Golf Digest tips, You Tube stuff. MDLT pulled the curtain back for me to think of golf in terms of other sports in getting the mind out of the way. Anyway, it was a huge struggle at the beginning to strip all the varnish off of the body focused regime and when I play bad I still tend to try to tweek the MDLT system. It never works.

I can't imagine being making the transition from a system that you have been totally enveloped with over the last 1.5 years. It has been worth it for me. I still get in my own way, but I have dropped down to just below an 8 and my consistency is far better plus I have had a few very low 18 rounds and a bunch of real low 9 hole rounds.

It is still a learning process for me and I continue to pick up a nuance here and there and I still get a light bulb moment on the course.

The mind is much more clutter free on the course, which makes it more fun, regardless of score.

• Like 1

[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1399919465' post='9280455']

Trust me, I feel you.

I never had any formal instruction, got to about a 12 on my own using a mish mash of the usual, Hogan 5 lessons, Golf Digest tips, You Tube stuff. MDLT pulled the curtain back for me to think of golf in terms of other sports in getting the mind out of the way. Anyway, it was a huge struggle at the beginning to strip all the varnish off of the body focused regime and when I play bad I still tend to try to tweek the MDLT system. It never works.

I can't imagine being making the transition from a system that you have been totally enveloped with over the last 1.5 years. It has been worth it for me. I still get in my own way, but I have dropped down to just below an 8 and my consistency is far better plus I have had a few very low 18 rounds and a bunch of real low 9 hole rounds.

It is still a learning process for me and I continue to pick up a nuance here and there and I still get a light bulb moment on the course.

The mind is much more clutter free on the course, which makes it more fun, regardless of score.
[/quote]

Thanks Pearl, that is reassuring. I guess the biggest thing for me is power of the golf swing. It seems like a rhythm swing more than a power swing. When I'm on my swing it is very powerful because of the body rotating and the lower body starting to unwind before the upper body finishes the back swing and once I'm on my left side I let myself unwind hard and fast. Is that still the case with Manual's method or is everything based around the club? I'm not a long hitter to begin with and there were 2 reasons SliceFixer's swing appealed to me:

(1) consistency - Everyone raved how easy the swing was once it's nailed and there there is not much timing involved, just rotate. It is a very easy swing with the least amount of moving parts (Now I'm not so sure)
(2) distance - People were saying how they were just as long if not longer with a more compact golf swing because of how you wind and unwind the body.

But this also was the time when the golf world was on fire with Tiger and the Sean Foley aka close to the SliceFixer swing. If Tiger is doing it there must be something there right??? Haha, sure.

I did order the book that has been talked about in this thread but I'm still concerned I won't be able to get all these swing thoughts out of my head. I have worked hard to get where I'm at score wise and I hate to start all over again, but I guess we'll see. I had my best front 9 2 weeks ago and shot 38, the following week I followed that up with a 47. I hit the ball ok but everything was off line. It never curved further off line it was just straight either left or right and where there is not rolling of the arms through impact there is no saving it. So I am looking forward to a change, but I have my reservations also.

Thanks again for the words of encouragement, much appreciated.

Everything is based on the club. The body action you describe occurs in MDLT, it is just a response to the swinging of the club, not the initiator.

Everything in the body driven swing happens in the MDLT swing. It is often a misconception that it does not and that Manuel is advocating something different. Many people make the assumption that you simply stand there and swing your arms. If you are just swinging your arms and not swinging the club so you end up in a nice balanced follow through position than you are not executing the concept correctly.

I am short and middle aged and a soft pile of flab. If I swing as hard as I can while still trying to maintain the semblance of what might resemble a golf swing, I might get to 95mph before needing the paddles applied to my chest. I might hit 1 ball out of 10 on the sweet spot and blast it to my max distance. The rest will be in a dispersion pattern of a 25 handicapper. I can comfortably hit 88 or 89 mph with proper execution of the MDLT method. The point is I don't think Manny's method, when properly executed, is shorter than any other method or for that matter why it should be. As JustSteve has mentioned, a drill he often does is hit balls with his feet together and he can hit it nearly as far.

After struggling with consistency, in particular rhythm and tempo of swing, I have decided to dedicate this season the MDLT's method. I have deteriorated to a 8.5 from the 5.2 I was in mid season last year. A good bit of that deterioration is 5 sedentary months of winter, but I've stalled at the low 5 HCPI two years running.

The changes I will be making to my swing are ball position (more toward middle, I usually play off front heel), no impact fix at address, toe up at 9 and 3 o'clock (currently facing the ground a bit at 9 and sky a little bit at 3 - drive/hold release), and better width at top of backswing (sense of hands as far away as possible at top of backswing). The static changes are easy and just a matter of amending the pre-shot routine. The dynamic fixes only require that I swing the clubhead back over my shoulder in the backswing and the entire club toward the target in the forward swing.

The main attraction is the positive mental process and the good ball striking results. Even if I decide next year to go back to another methodology, I know my mind will be stronger due to the disciplined mindset the MDLT method requires. A second reason is the Drive/hold release is hard on the TFCC of my left hand at the end of the follow through - I strike the ball very consistently and accurately with the drive/hold feel, I just don't think my left wrist can hold up to it under daily practice.

I started to go with the MDLT method this past weekend - when I actually had the right intent during the swing I struck the ball quite well. I only suceeded in having the right intent maybe 5 times during the round. I practiced today and as long as my intent during the swing remained "swing the clubhead back with the hands and swing the entire club towards the target" I hit the ball quite well. I think I may have picked up 10 yards on my irons, but I'll really know that after a few weeks and feeling it on the course.

I really like having one swing thought focused on feel.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Just wanted to update:

I've played 3 fantastic rounds of golf this past week. The only problem is the driver but that could be an equipment issue.

I focus on just two things: the swing plane as I take the club back and then swinging upper arms at the target. When a swing doesn't go right, I go back to the two thoughts and figure out where I'm off.

I have to say, there's a huge benefit when I'm not cluttering my head with so many technical thoughts while playing. Simple concepts don't require so much thought to process so I found myself thinking more about strategy versus swing dynamics.

The only worry I have now is that I feel I'm in a zone but I don't really understand what's causing the success so I'm afraid that, if I lose this current swing, it'll be tough to find it again.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='IamMarkMac' timestamp='1400173924' post='9301853']
Just wanted to update:

I've played 3 fantastic rounds of golf this past week. The only problem is the driver but that could be an equipment issue.

I focus on just two things: the swing plane as I take the club back and then swinging upper arms at the target. When a swing doesn't go right, I go back to the two thoughts and figure out where I'm off.

I have to say, there's a huge benefit when I'm not cluttering my head with so many technical thoughts while playing. Simple concepts don't require so much thought to process so I found myself thinking more about strategy versus swing dynamics.

The only worry I have now is that I feel I'm in a zone but I don't really understand what's causing the success so I'm afraid that, if I lose this current swing, it'll be tough to find it again.
[/quote]

Two things:

1. Don't swing your upper arms at the target. That will only work for a little bit. Swing the club in the direction of the target with your upper arms. That will work always.

2. You won't lose the swing Manny teaches. You may stop doing it correctly, or you may try to add something else. In either case your ball striking will suffer. When that happens just return to the teaching. Nothing is wrong if you just do it right.

Steve

[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1400206206' post='9305583']
I would listen to Steve's advice to stick with the method and do not deviate or put your own twist on it. Trust me, I have made this mistake more than once.
[/quote]

MDLT is pretty specific, or at least his father was.

"Does it work?"

"Yes, if I do it."

"Son, if you know what you are doing and it works, spend the rest of your life perfecting it, and remember that if you should miss a shot, it simply means that you did not do what you were supposed to do, it does not mean that you did something wrong so get back to what you should do."

Brilliant.

• Like 1

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

When you take a lesson with him he never tells you what you are doing wrong. This is why he eventually always asks you "what are you trying to do." Of course he obviously knows what you are doing wrong, but he does not try to correct you in terms of "don't do that" or "do this", he focuses on redirecting your "intention" with the golf clubs.

I get sideways when I try to take one of his concepts and literally apply it. Obviously, this gets me away from being club focused. Bad move. Even after all this time the simplicity of his concept still works against me. I know the little golfer on my shoulder just keeps interjecting with " there has to be more to it than this."

What you are experiencing is very normal. My consistency, despite my weak minded stubbornness, has increased dramatically and all of my lowest rounds ever, except for one, has taken place post reading the book and visiting Milwaukee.

Hey all, I'm just getting back into golf and I have a lot of work to do (I wasn't very good before the time away!). I want to take the MDLT approach, but a trip to Milwakee is definately out of the question. However, I did figuire out that John Hayes is only about 20 minutes from me. For those that don't recognize that name, he wrote a book about his time with MDLT and teaches his methods here in Tampa. My question is, have any forum members had any lessons from this gentleman, and if so, could you share your thoughts?

[quote name='juststeve' timestamp='1400181107' post='9302963']
[quote name='IamMarkMac' timestamp='1400173924' post='9301853']
Just wanted to update:

[/quote]

Two things:

1. Don't swing your upper arms at the target. That will only work for a little bit. Swing the club in the direction of the target with your upper arms. That will work always.
[/quote]

Actually, this highlights my problem with the MDLT approach. I have no idea how this is different from the "swing upper arms at the target" swing key. At the moment, everything in my swing feels like a natural reaction to moving the upper arms. I'm not sure how figuring the club into the thought process alters things.

[quote name='juststeve' timestamp='1400181107' post='9302963']
2. You won't lose the swing Manny teaches. You may stop doing it correctly, or you may try to add something else. In either case your ball striking will suffer. When that happens just return to the teaching. Nothing is wrong if you just do it right.

Steve
[/quote]

I only hope that when the ball striking is off, I have enough awareness to identify which part of my swing is not working correctly.

Btw, beat my handicap again today but, more impressive to me, I'm doing it while keeping my mind clear and relaxed.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I have just discovered Manuel's method and it really resonates with me.
His instruction to swing the club with the arms and let the rest of the body react naturally strikes me the most. My rhythm and timing have seemed to unify in a extremely natural way.
You hear 'the dog wags the tail' all the time. Perhaps Leadbetter's mantra in many ways.
MDLT seems to completely oppose that.
My single mental image while practice swinging - I haven't had this knowledge on the course yet - is to: [i]start my downswing using my arms to swing the club at the target.[/i]
I think it is going to help my mental game a lot!
I shall see tomorrow.

[quote name='jlfx64' timestamp='1400271677' post='9310167']
Hey all, I'm just getting back into golf and I have a lot of work to do (I wasn't very good before the time away!). I want to take the MDLT approach, but a trip to Milwakee is definately out of the question. However, I did figuire out that John Hayes is only about 20 minutes from me. For those that don't recognize that name, he wrote a book about his time with MDLT and teaches his methods here in Tampa. My question is, have any forum members had any lessons from this gentleman, and if so, could you share your thoughts?
[/quote]

John Hayes's book is excellent. I think he has seen Manuel teach a zillion lessons. I am sure he would be an excellent alternative. I don't know if it was an annual event, but Manuel was down at John's place and did a clinic this past February.

[quote name='HoganWoods' timestamp='1400285507' post='9311297']
I'm wondering what swinging the club at the target means? Do you mean the entire club? The handle? The face? All of the above? I can't picture being about to match face with path with any type of consistency this way if it's the whole club.
[/quote]

Swing the entire club using the upper arms toward the target.

[quote name='FullOfBrushMan' timestamp='1400294766' post='9312113']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-hYlxnB5OM"]http://youtu.be/F-hYlxnB5OM[/url]

Sick video with MDLT on an old Golf Channel Academy show.
[/quote]
Sherri seems to have quite high hands at the end of the back swing. Is that normal for MdlT swing?
Looking forward to seeing the man himself next weekend.

I suspect that her hand position is due to her arm length and flexibility. The nature of the MDLT method seems to dictate that everyone's swing will look a bit different, as it's less focused on achieving certain positions than it is on concepts that center on club movement. I'd expect that if you were to look at Manuel, Sherri, and Ted Purdy's swings, they'd look a little different, and it would be a little more difficult to identify them on sight than it would be to identify a more position-oriented system like Stack-and-Tilt, for example.

[quote name='lsh' timestamp='1400325839' post='9313121']
[quote name='FullOfBrushMan' timestamp='1400294766' post='9312113']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-hYlxnB5OM"]http://youtu.be/F-hYlxnB5OM[/url]

Sick video with MDLT on an old Golf Channel Academy show.
[/quote]
Sherri seems to have quite high hands at the end of the back swing. Is that normal for MdlT swing?
Looking forward to seeing the man himself next weekend.
[/quote]

As Cicero says, to the best of my knowledge, high hands is not a requirement.

Much like Ballard (though they're opposites in a sense), this is a fine way to play golf for many golfers - especially those like myself with physical issues.

Hit the ball further than my average but have a ton of severe toe hits when I use this method. Could just be something with how my body wants to work. I'm sure if I did it right more often or knew how, I'd be swinging this way for a lifetime. Perhaps it's time to buy the book.

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)