2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TaylorMade/New Noodle + - RANKED LONGEST BALLS IN GOLF!

taylorpro

If you checked out the Golf Magazine detailed "Robot Testing" of the 54 golf balls tested, you will see that all the new TaylorMade and new Noodle + Golf Balls made the top ten for distance. This was a very detailed test and pretty impressive results for TaylorMade. I remember when TM first came out with the TP's and they said they were longer, I didn't really believe it. This test proves that they indeed make some great golf balls, with the best distance in golf. I just swithced to the new TP Red and love it! It feels awesome, good spin and I did notice it was longer! Here's the top distance rankings for the new TaylorMade's and Noodle +. Again, this top ten list is from the 54 balls that were tested by Golf Magazine.

#1 - TaylorMade TP Black - LDP = 259.1 yards

#2 - Noodle + = 259.0 yards

#3 - TaylorMade TP Red - LDP = 258.6

#5 - Noodle + Lady = 257.1 yards

#9 - TaylorMade Burner TP = 255.4

#9 - TaylorMade Burner = 255.4

FYI

#38 - Titleist ProV1x = 250.4 yards

#44 - Titleist ProV1 = 249.0

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up some tp Blacks based on that magazine article, as well as a few friends suggestion who hit the blacks high off the tee. I am an unfortunate low-ball hitter off the tee even though I usually squeeze it out there 255-65 total. I am a long time prov1 user - used the x on the pre-o7 models. I have no problems spinning my low irons and wedges, and figured the numbers in the GM article showed similarities on spin comparing those models so why not.

Haven't tried them on course but I like the feel chipping and putting to 25 feet indoors ALOT. Or maybe its the Rife putter?

JC

You failed to mention that those stats are for a 90 mph swing speed. If you had flipped to page 95, They did the same testing at 105 mph and the ProV1x came out to 290.0 total yards beating the TP black by 0.9 yards. What I'm trying to say is that the tour premium balls are going to preform much better for higher swing speeds, as they advertise.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree. Swing speed makes the difference. It's amazing how knowing that one number can yield a lot of guidance for dialing in your golf game. AND... the 90 MPH swing speed was on a generally, in-the-sweet-spot, pretty square, strike. Test balls to see how they behave with your ugly hook or banana slice...to really understand effective distance.

RBZ TP 9.5* RIP'd NV 65
TM R11s - 14* - RIP Alpha 70
TM Rescue '11 TP - RIP 85
Cleveland CG16 Tour - TT DG
Cleveland 588 Forged Wedges
Forged Yes "Callie f" Blade

I am a prov1 player. But today me and a buddy were messing around with his new sasquatch at my course. we were hitting into a net that's 240 yds away and 40 ft tall. I have lasered it several times from the net pointing back to the clubhouse so we know it's acurate. It is another 20 yds across the track so you would have to be pumping it about 280 to get it over the net we figured. I usually either hit the net on the fly or land it on the track behind the net with a pro v1, hex tour, or any other top of the line ball. I grabbed a noodle today and with a nice easy swing hit the ball over the net, and the track and on to the street way past that. I don't know if it was a fluke but that ball flew for ever.

You failed to mention that those stats are for a 90 mph swing speed. If you had flipped to page 95, They did the same testing at 105 mph and the ProV1x came out to 290.0 total yards beating the TP black by 0.9 yards. What I'm trying to say is that the tour premium balls are going to preform much better for higher swing speeds, as they advertise.

But from a business point - most golfers (myself included) have SS's in the 85-95 mph range - and therefore also a very valid referencepoint in the test.

+105 mph speeds 'cover' relatively few players from a marketing oriented view.

Simply put - I can't make a ProV1x perform with my average SS (94 mph). I don't wish to either as I dislike the feel of that ball.

cheers,

Soeren

My bag
TM SIM2 Max driver, G425 Max woods, Titleist 818 hybrid, Srixon Z565 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges, Yes Tracy III putter

I play Taylormade Red and Precept Laddie, which is #6 at 256 yards

It's hard to beat 24 balls at $19 and get a good ranking like that.

Let's give NXT Extreme credit, at #5 with 257.5.

The Noodle results are unexpected, and it looks like their owned by Taylormade.

Maybe an image change with a new name would sell more.

I would have to say at the higher speeds titleist having a .9 advantage is not much.

In my honest opinion, Going from being a used ball buyer to wanting to use ProV1s because of the feel, then reading the article on the magazine. I have chosen to go with the NXT tour, I've spun it back several times and any time i have a pitching wedge in, it stops with 3 feet of where it lands. It gives me great distance, and for 18 a box(employee discount) I cant go wrong.

I tried the TP balls, Good balls with great distance but they're clicky soft feeling feel nasty to me.

Unless you fit the criteria below, this test means very little.

90 mph swing speed, 137 mph ball speed, 13.75-degree launch angle, 2,900 rpm"

This was taken from this page: http://www.golf.com/golf/features/flash/ballguide3.html

What you can take from this testing though is how close a lot of these "cheap" balls are to the top dollar premium balls. When a $15 per dozen ball is only 3 yards shy of a $40 ball, time to stock up on some 15 dollar balls.........

If you checked out the Golf Magazine detailed "Robot Testing" of the 54 golf balls tested, you will see that all the new TaylorMade and new Noodle + Golf Balls made the top ten for distance. This was a very detailed test and pretty impressive results for TaylorMade. I remember when TM first came out with the TP's and they said they were longer, I didn't really believe it. This test proves that they indeed make some great golf balls, with the best distance in golf. I just swithced to the new TP Red and love it! It feels awesome, good spin and I did notice it was longer! Here's the top distance rankings for the new TaylorMade's and Noodle +. Again, this top ten list is from the 54 balls that were tested by Golf Magazine.

FYI

I was waiting for this to come out. Must be a major campaign by TM to help their dead ball business. If you look at the Data you can see what type of player was tested for this product. Premium(tour)balls are for people with a swing speed of 105+ to get them to perform. The test done by Golf Digest was conducted with 54 balls. The problem was how this test is conducted.

1) Golf Digest gets all test samples from the OEM. This allows for proto type product or product that is different then what you would buy at retail.

2) The speeds that were tested for this criteria do not equal the minimum performance charaterisitc of a Tour Ball.

I can't wait for the consumer reports test to come out so we can see what they say about these balls tested. Their test is much more accurate for the consumer because they do not rely on the OEM to provide test samples.

Funny how when you get the right conditions and specs the performance changes...

This was taken from this page: http://www.golf.com/golf/features/flash/ballguide3.html

What you can take from this testing though is how close a lot of these "cheap" balls are to the top dollar premium balls. When a $15 per dozen ball is only 3 yards shy of a $40 ball, time to stock up on some 15 dollar balls.........

Your not supposed to refute this information... :D ;) ;)

I picked up some tp Blacks based on that magazine article, as well as a few friends suggestion who hit the blacks high off the tee. I am an unfortunate low-ball hitter off the tee even though I usually squeeze it out there 255-65 total. I am a long time prov1 user - used the x on the pre-o7 models. I have no problems spinning my low irons and wedges, and figured the numbers in the GM article showed similarities on spin comparing those models so why not.

Haven't tried them on course but I like the feel chipping and putting to 25 feet indoors ALOT. Or maybe its the Rife putter?

JC

Jameson, I am also a low ball hitter... just wondering, how is your experience with the TP blacks? Any input?

Are you saying the results don't fit in with your ball of choice or are you saying you don't have a driver that fits you?

Overall I'd say that it does mean quite a bit, if you compare the higher SS ratings and the slow you can get a clear picture of which balls perform the best overall. I'd expect the TM TP balls to be longer off the irons than the NOP for instance. Would that be a bad assumption? No.

I can't wait for the consumer reports test to come out so we can see what they say about these balls tested. Their test is much more accurate for the consumer because they do not rely on the OEM to provide test samples.

Any idea as to when the consumer reports test are coming out? I didn't know they conducted an annual golf ball test...

Kinda meaningless for people like me who swing right between the 90 and 105 SS in the 98-100SS range. I guess, I could always plot it out and figure which ball is for me...*sigh*...feel so ignored...lol.

Anyway, after this article, I did try the 08 TM TP reds and they work pretty good for me, lil more distance than my past balls (NOP, Prov1 and the odd 333) and the Closies lately, says it all.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I thought the article was very good, especially the "choose the ball for you" section: http://www.golf.com/golf/equipment/article...1696442,00.html

Too bad they don't provide similar specs (ballspeed, launch angle, spin) for this section, but I find it interesting that the NOP ball didn't even make it into this category. It basically supports my reason why I always preferred the NOB over the NOP. Unless you are Tiger, you have no business playing the NOP. I wonder if the sales of NOP will drop significantly as a result of the test.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

• 1 month later...
I play Taylormade Red and Precept Laddie, which is #6 at 256 yards

It's hard to beat 24 balls at $19 and get a good ranking like that.

Let's give NXT Extreme credit, at #5 with 257.5.

The Noodle results are unexpected, and it looks like their owned by Taylormade.

Maybe an image change with a new name would sell more.

I would have to say at the higher speeds titleist having a .9 advantage is not much.

Are the Noodle+ selling for $10 for 24 balls? I have only seen them in a single dozen. I have not considered them because the Noodle name is silly. I was looking for the Pinnacle Exceptions but Edwin Watts did not have them.

• 3 weeks later...

I have hit Noodles off and on since they came out and there just isn't a ball that will outfly it with that feel. This data really isn't that surprising as I have just hit the slobber out of several over some short (310-330) par 4's. The Exception may be its equal, but I would doubt it would go longer. I can't wait to hit the new Noodle+ when I run out of the Vanilla Ice.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

FYI

DID YOU FORGET THAT IT WAS AT 90 MPH SWING SPEED