Best Driver?

tembolo1284 ·  
tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom BoomBanned  20715WRX Points: 1Handicap: BeefPosts: 20,715 Titanium Tees
Joined:  edited Mar 28, 2014 in Hogan's Heroes Swing Forum #1
Was talking about Hogan's swing in another thread and if Hogan in prime would win against Nicklaus in his prime. It got me thinking about their driving...because they were both clearly awesome drivers. Also I've heard Nicklaus was as accurate and as long as anyone before. I came across this article that touched on a lot of points that were in my head...particularly about Nicklaus, Norman, Snead, and Hogan.

So what do you guys think? Who was the best driver? What does it mean to be the best driver? Don't forget to throw in a comment or two about meat.

http://www.thevictoryformation.com/2012/06/08/whos-the-best-driver/

Posted:

Comments

• lonestar48lonestar48 Members  189WRX Points: 0Posts: 189
    I gotta go with Nicklaus and Hogan, simply because I believe they understood their swing a little more than most and played accordingly. I also believe that guys like Hogan, Snead and Nelson don't get near the credit they deserve because much of what they did is anecdotal at this point. They performed their heroics without the benefit of television and stat gurus. You have to really do your research and/or pay attention to know just how good those guys were. Especially with equipment from that era. Unbelievable! When was the last time a modern era professional missed only one fairway in 2 rounds of practice and 4 competition rounds at a major (like Hogan at Carnoustie in '53)?
    Posted:
    Titleist 910 D2, 8.5*, Aldila RIP-stiff
    Titleist 910F 15*, 19*
    Mizuno MP-64, 3-PW
    Mizuno MP T-4 50*, 56* Vokey 60*
    PING Anser
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned  20715WRX Points: 1Handicap: BeefPosts: 20,715 Titanium Tees
    That's good stuff lonestar!
    Posted:
  • lonestar48lonestar48 Members  189WRX Points: 0Posts: 189
    Thanks Tembolo.

I often wonder why todays pros tolerate so many missed fairways with driver in hand. Are the extra yards worth a squirrely lie that results in an approach that leaves them 15-20 feet farther away than it could've been if they had been in the fairway?

Aren't these guys good enough to prefer to hit 6 iron from a perfect lie rather than 8 iron from rough?

I believe the stats bear out that approaches from the rough do not finish as close on average.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910 D2, 8.5*, Aldila RIP-stiff
    Titleist 910F 15*, 19*
    Mizuno MP-64, 3-PW
    Mizuno MP T-4 50*, 56* Vokey 60*
    PING Anser
  • limcaucolimcauco Members  223WRX Points: 0Posts: 223
    lonestar48 wrote:

Thanks Tembolo.

I often wonder why todays pros tolerate so many missed fairways with driver in hand. Are the extra yards worth a squirrely lie that results in an approach that leaves them 15-20 feet farther away than it could've been if they had been in the fairway?

Aren't these guys good enough to prefer to hit 6 iron from a perfect lie rather than 8 iron from rough?

I believe the stats bear out that approaches from the rough do not finish as close on average.

I think it's the ball. Back then with balata balls you need to curve the ball. Can't do that on rough.

Now you can't curve the balls (side spin) much. So no much difference between fairway and rough.
    Posted:
  • '53 Precision'53 Precision Joint Security Area, PanMunJom RoK Members  488WRX Points: 2Posts: 488 Greens
    "Now you can't curve the balls (side spin) much. So no much difference between fairway and rough."

Funny you should say that. Sunday, at Colonial, I witnessed a pro, can't remember who (it was early, just out watching pro's play) hit a ball on #9 out of the left rough from about 100 yards, behind a tree hit about a 50 yard draw, land it on the green with spin, and the ball jumped left and down the ridge to about 4 feet or so, amazing shot, out of some fairly thick, damp rough, I was dumbfounded at the beauty of the shot. Oh, and 9 is fronted by a pond and the pin was about 3 or 4 paces from the front edge. Fabulous shot!
    Posted:
  • tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned  20715WRX Points: 1Handicap: BeefPosts: 20,715 Titanium Tees
    ' wrote:

"Now you can't curve the balls (side spin) much. So no much difference between fairway and rough."

Funny you should say that. Sunday, at Colonial, I witnessed a pro, can't remember who (it was early, just out watching pro's play) hit a ball on #9 out of the left rough from about 100 yards, behind a tree hit about a 50 yard draw, land it on the green with spin, and the ball jumped left and down the ridge to about 4 feet or so, amazing shot, out of some fairly thick, damp rough, I was dumbfounded at the beauty of the shot. Oh, and 9 is fronted by a pond and the pin was about 3 or 4 paces from the front edge. Fabulous shot!

That's why they are pros!
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.