2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Played the Callaway iX today--Now With Final Verdict!

Golfdog

Also tried the TaylorMade TP Black
I got a chance to try out the new Callaway iX today. I have played the Cally HX Tour the past two years. The HX Tour has performed very well for me: long off the tee, great around the greens. I have checked out new balls from time to time, but nothing has worked as well. (FYI, my index is 0.9, and my driver SS is in the low 100s.)

Today I put the Cally iX into play. It is easy to sum up this balls characteristics: I couldn't tell it apart from the HX Tour. Perhaps if I played this ball for a month or two in various conditions, I might be able to see some differences between the iX and the HX Tour, but IMO they are basically the same ball.

Another ball I have tried recently is the Bridgestone B330s. This recommendation came from golfballselector.com. It is a really good ball for me--as long as the HX Tour, but a little softer feeling off the irons and more spinney into the greens. Actually, the B330s spins too much for me. I was pulling wedge shots off the front of greens, and my short pitch shots were checking too much.

Which brings me to the TaylorMade TP Black. This was another recommendation from golfballselector.com. I was VERY impressed with this ball. It was long off every club--I was getting my "normal" distances despite the 48ºF temps, and the spin was perfect. I played the TP Black for a couple holes and didn't want to play the other balls any more. These are definitely my ball of choice now (and I hate TM stuff!).

It looks like the TP Blacks are now firmly in the bag.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which TP Black. The '07 model or the LDP?

This is the new model--the LDP.

Try the Reds also. They are a more direct comparison to the HX Tour while the Blacks are more like the HX Tour 56. Both are outstanding golf balls.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

The TP Red is like Pro V1x which is like the HX Tour which is like the One Black which is like the B330.

The TP Black is like Pro V1 which is like the HX Tour 56 which is like the One Platinum which is like the B330-s.

Scott

Apart from the fact that the Red is softer than the Black...

What's In Today's Bag.... 
TaylorMade Qi10 10.5° (@9.5°) Fujikura Ventus Black 6
TaylorMade Qi10 15° Graphite Design Tour AD XC 7

TaylorMade Qi10 18° Graphite Design Tour AD XC 8  or  TaylorMade Stealth 2 Rescue 19° Graphite Design Tour AD IZ Hybrid 85 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-iron Recoil 95  or  TaylorMade Stealth 2 Rescue 22° Graphite Design Tour AD IZ Hybrid 95
Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-PW KBS Tour V
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F KBS Tour V / 54.10S KBS 610 / 58.04T 
TaylorMade Spider X Hydroblast #3

The TP Red is like Pro V1x which is like the HX Tour which is like the One Black which is like the B330.

The TP Black is like Pro V1 which is like the HX Tour 56 which is like the One Platinum which is like the B330-s.

Scott

This is the confusion I was talking about. According to the PR report, the Red is low launch, the Black is high launch. I'm gonna assume that they designed the ball like the other balls on the market, which is low launch/high spin, high launch/low spin. And I know the Red was the more or less the V1 equivalent at initial release, check this review: http://thesandtrap.com/equipment/balls/tay...ack_ball_review

Unless they flipped it around since people got confused for this year, I'm pretty sure the Red is still like the V1/HX Tour 56/i, One Platinum, and B330-S. And the Black is still like the V1x/HX Tour/iX, One Black, and B330.

Scott

This is the confusion I was talking about. According to the PR report, the Red is low launch, the Black is high launch. I'm gonna assume that they designed the ball like the other balls on the market, which is low launch/high spin, high launch/low spin. And I know the Red was the more or less the V1 equivalent at initial release, check this review: http://thesandtrap.com/equipment/balls/tay...ack_ball_review

Unless they flipped it around since people got confused for this year, I'm pretty sure the Red is still like the V1/HX Tour 56/i, One Platinum, and B330-S. And the Black is still like the V1x/HX Tour/iX, One Black, and B330.

They flipped it this year. Very confusing. You're right about last year's TP's, but this year's TP LDP's are the opposite. Just like Sidewinder noted. Kinda crazy and it has caused alot of confusion.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

Which TP Black. The '07 model or the LDP?

This is the new model--the LDP.

I agree. The new LDP TP Black is the ball for me in 2008. I have played it head to head against the Pro V1x, but I like the TP Black better. Just seems like it doesn't really get touched by the wind, so there might be something to this LDP stuff.

It is confusing as heck. I got it wrong. The black is the higher launch/higher spin version, and the red is lower launch/lower spin. You can see the comparison on the TM web site under balls->tp black (or red)->technology.

The thing I really liked was I was actually getting some roll on my drives. I think I was getting a shallower angle of descent, which can add quite a bit of distance to your drives.

thanks for the review GD, I picked a dz. of the ix and hot bite to try, the only other ball I want to try are the TM blacks. once the weather cooperates.

I love the iX ball. The Hot Bite scuffs too easily. Especially if your using CG 12, CG 14 or Spin Milled wedges.

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, 48*, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

I have only chipped, pitched and putted with the Dark Side TP Black, but I love it's feel and control with those shots. This ball matched with a Rife putter (I have a Martinique and a Barbados) produces the feel that I've missed ever since my original Kevin Burns 9303 met the original Maxfli Revolution.

What's great is we're expecting 2-4 more inches of snow tonight.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

It is confusing as heck. I got it wrong. The black is the higher launch/higher spin version, and the red is lower launch/lower spin. You can see the comparison on the TM web site under balls->tp black (or red)->technology.

The thing I really liked was I was actually getting some roll on my drives. I think I was getting a shallower angle of descent, which can add quite a bit of distance to your drives.

Wow, alright, I didn't think they'd make high/high low/low but I guess I'm wrong. Should be pretty unique then.

Wow, alright, I didn't think they'd make high/high low/low but I guess I'm wrong. Should be pretty unique then.

multi,

I don't know about past years, but this year the higher spinning tour balls also provide higher ball flight....which makes sense. The TP Red, One Black, and Pro V1x all have lower ball flights than the TP Black, One Platinum, and Pro V1.

Scott

Does anyone know firsthand how resilient the ix ball is compared to the Tour or Tour56 model.

My S58's used to cutup the Tour/Tour56 so easily it was annoying. But I liked the performance of those two around the greens.

My buddy has been trying to get me to try out those bridgestone's or the Srixon's for awhile. But I haven't used up my stash of Callaway Tour's yet.

multi,

I don't know about past years, but this year the higher spinning tour balls also provide higher ball flight....which makes sense. The TP Red, One Black, and Pro V1x all have lower ball flights than the TP Black, One Platinum, and Pro V1.

Scott

Really? Sorry, ever since I played mid-priced balls in the beginning they were high launch, low spin balls so I assumed other balls would follow the same logic. I mean I know which ball spins more but never thought about confirming launch. :)

Does anyone know firsthand how resilient the ix ball is compared to the Tour or Tour56 model.

My S58's used to cutup the Tour/Tour56 so easily it was annoying. But I liked the performance of those two around the greens.

My buddy has been trying to get me to try out those bridgestone's or the Srixon's for awhile. But I haven't used up my stash of Callaway Tour's yet.

Joe Kwok had a review, it's looking pretty durable.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140921

btw, he mentions that the i is high spin low flight and the iX is low spin and high flight? I'm still confused now sidewinder.

this is the description on TGW

TP Black Golf Balls:

Three-piece construction golf ball

Designed for lower spin players who want soft feel, fast ball speed, increased distance and tour-caliber spin

Promotes a mid-to-high flight

Engineered to promote especially high speed and distance off the driver; to deliver higher full-shot and greenside spin; and to be exceptionally resistant to the effects of head winds and crosswinds

TP Red Golf Balls:

Four-piece construction golf ball

Designed for higher spin players who want the ultimate in tour performance

Feel Mantle, delivers 15% softer feel than the original TP Red, while also enhancing spin control

Promotes a mid-to-low flight

Engineered to promote especially high speed and distance off the driver; to deliver controllable full-shot and greenside spin; and to be exceptionally resistant to the effects of head winds and crosswinds

Just to beat the horse a bit more, TP Black is for players needing higher spin to keep the ball in the air (ie, for those of us that need spin for lift and thus distance..."air time"). Conversely, the TP Red is for all you big hitters that balloon the ball with too much spin.

TM also states that the TP Black is a softer durometer cover than the TP Red, but the Red has a softer "feel." You figure that one out.

I've played the Black and have found it to be a marvelous ball with lots of green-side spin. It does tend to scuff a bit, but only towards the end of the round.

Lastly, it's every bit as good a ball as the ProV's or Callaway's and at $39.99 it's still a reasonable price for a "professional" ball.

:)

Srixon Z785 6-P
PXG 0211 4h & 5h
Mizuno T 56/58/60
Tour Edge C721 10.5 w/Ventus Red R
PXG 0341 Proto 3w
Titleist 909 5w
TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Spider
Snell MTB-X

I got a chance to try out the new Callaway iX today. I have played the Cally HX Tour the past two years. The HX Tour has performed very well for me: long off the tee, great around the greens. I have checked out new balls from time to time, but nothing has worked as well. (FYI, my index is 0.9, and my driver SS is in the low 100s.)

Today I put the Cally iX into play. It is easy to sum up this balls characteristics: I couldn't tell it apart from the HX Tour. Perhaps if I played this ball for a month or two in various conditions, I might be able to see some differences between the iX and the HX Tour, but IMO they are basically the same ball.

Another ball I have tried recently is the Bridgestone B330s. This recommendation came from golfballselector.com. It is a really good ball for me--as long as the HX Tour, but a little softer feeling off the irons and more spinney into the greens. Actually, the B330s spins too much for me. I was pulling wedge shots off the front of greens, and my short pitch shots were checking too much.

Which brings me to the TaylorMade TP Black. This was another recommendation from golfballselector.com. I was VERY impressed with this ball. It was long off every club--I was getting my "normal" distances despite the 48ºF temps, and the spin was perfect. I played the TP Black for a couple holes and didn't want to play the other balls any more. These are definitely my ball of choice now (and I hate TM stuff!).

It looks like the TP Blacks are now firmly in the bag.

Good review, thanks for the post!

And it sounds like golfballselector.com seemed to have worked for you. Do you recommend it? I've been debating whether or not to go ahead and give it a shot. And how did they recommend you the '08 TP Black LDP? I thought their '08 ball recommendations weren't complete yet...

Well I've had a few more outings to try the Cally iX, and the final verdict is--disappointing! I have been playing it side by side with the HX Tour, and for me the HX Tour is actually a better ball. The HX Tour is longer on solid hits, longer on off-center hits and holds the greens as well as the iX. I am disappointed, but the silver lining is that I discovered the TP Black.

I should say that there are a lot of great balls out there, and what doesn't work for one of us my be a super ball for someone else. I think Cally changed the iX just enough to no longer be in my sweet spot.

Man, I don't like TaylorMade at all, but it looks like I'm going to be playing their ball.

Scott

What a minute..Isnt the prov1x more like the b330S???Both are softer and more spin,no?

Scott

What a minute..Isnt the prov1x more like the b330S???Both are softer and more spin,no?

No....

Scott